How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
anon_investor

Re: How is the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by anon_investor »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:00 pm
Cranberry44 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:27 am Question:

Is the 5% cash back actually cash, that you can have deposited into an account, or is it Amazon credit that you can only apply to purchases at Amazon/Whole Foods?
You can deposit to any bank as far as I know, although I happen to deposit to a Chase account.
Yeah, you can deposit the cash back at any bank. I usually opt to deposit the cash back into my non-Chase checking account.
MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver »

It's been a good card for me.

Also note they run periodic 'targeted' promotions for additional cash back above the base amounts. See here for a promotion last year:
https://thepointsguy.com/news/amazon-prime-visa-offer/

This summer they bumped travel and gas station rebates up to 5% back (again, it appears this is a subset of cardholders).
pahkcah

Post by pahkcah »

Like the card, have had it since it was first available.

There have been special offers from time to time for cardholders. Sometimes they offer coupons good for $10, etc. They also ran a special during the past Prime Day where the rebate was raised from 5% to 6% for Amazon purchases.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

It's great if you shop at WFM and Amazon. Occasionally Chase will send 5% bonus offers on gas/utilities. I've even seen 4% back on all purchases, but I've never been lucky to receive that offer. If only Costco's store card also gave 5% back on purchases.
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

Thanks all! I applied yesterday, was accepted, and got the $100 bonus. Lower credit limit than I expected -- not a problem though.
fposte

Post by fposte »

DetroitRick wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:47 am For what it's worth, Bloomberg reported last month that Amazon was shopping to replace this current tie-in with JP Morgan Chase, with somebody else. Bidders include Amex and Synchrony. But no dates, decisions, or deadlines yet:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... artnership
While the full article is behind a paywall, the first paragraph is visible and says it all. But I've been 100% satisfied with the card.
Oh, that might solve my problem. I had the card and loved it and then it got breached, and I can't use it at Amazon anymore because every number updates in the fraudster's wallet as well as mine and results in instant bad charges. I cannot figure out how to explain that to a frontline CSR and get a new account unlinked to the old one, so I've sadly let the card close. A new bank would break that connection.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

I kind of hope Amazon does not drop Chase in this instance. I love Amex and they have great service, but their cash back cards are weak and they only allow statement credits rather than direct deposit. And Synchrony I heard is disastrous when it comes to interface online and customer service.
Cranberry44

Post by Cranberry44 »

atdharris wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 am I kind of hope Amazon does not drop Chase in this instance. I love Amex and they have great service, but their cash back cards are weak and they only allow statement credits rather than direct deposit. And Synchrony I heard is disastrous when it comes to interface online and customer service.
Are the reward terms likely to change in any significant manner if Amazon changes banks?
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

Cranberry44 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:38 am
atdharris wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 am I kind of hope Amazon does not drop Chase in this instance. I love Amex and they have great service, but their cash back cards are weak and they only allow statement credits rather than direct deposit. And Synchrony I heard is disastrous when it comes to interface online and customer service.
Are the reward terms likely to change in any significant manner if Amazon changes banks?
There is no way of knowing. When Costco left Amex for Citi, the cash back improved significantly. The old Amex paid 3% on gas, 2% on dining and 1% on everything else (including Costco). The new Visa gives 4% back on gas, 3% on dining/travel, 2% at Costco.

With that said, Amazon does not have an exclusive card provider, so perhaps if they do leave Chase, the bid will need to be more competitive or people will just use another card.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

It's a no brainer for heavy amazon users. 5% is worth adding the card to your collection.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

MrBeaver wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:24 pm It's been a good card for me.

Also note they run periodic 'targeted' promotions for additional cash back above the base amounts. See here for a promotion last year:

This summer they bumped travel and gas station rebates up to 5% back (again, it appears this is a subset of cardholders).
I never got one of those in 7 years :(
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

pasadena wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am

Me either. Well, I hope I didn't get an offer and miss it.
MrBeaver

Post by MrBeaver »

tibbitts wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 am

FYI, this latest offer appears public. I saw it on Facebook in addition to email, and there is a public splash page link. Bonus is retroactive to the beginning of the period, but of course you can’t go back in time and change your spending habits:

https://www.chase.com/mybonus/tamazon1
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

No issues with the card. I typically get $60-100/month in rewards. Yes, we spend a lot on Amazon and Whole Foods.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

A decent card but I don't like that they are pondering switching to Amex or Synchrony (most likely a Mastercard). Since I need a Visa card for Costco, I'm switching to BofA Travel Rewards card.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

MrBeaver wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:59 am
tibbitts wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 am

FYI, this latest offer appears public. I saw it on Facebook in addition to email, and there is a public splash page link. Bonus is retroactive to the beginning of the period, but of course you can’t go back in time and change your spending habits:

https://www.chase.com/mybonus/tamazon1
Thanks. Unfortunately I haven't spent anything on travel since the pandemic, and gas has been covered by my "category" cards since May - so nothing lost so far.
etfan

Post by etfan »

atdharris wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 am I love Amex and they have great service, but their cash back cards are weak and they only allow statement credits rather than direct deposit.
What's the difference? :confused

You have to pay the balance anyway.
beyou

Post by beyou »

frankandbeans wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:15 am We have the "store card" version through Synchrony. One big advantage of that card is that the transaction line includes item description so I can match the charge up with the purchase on e.g. Mint. That single benefit has stopped me from switching to the Chase card (which I assume doesn't do this).

Have never had to contact customer service, so have no comment on customer service complaints re Synchrony.
True that this is a challenge, keeping tabs on what you are charged for. Each charge is just Amazon and a code.
The code does cross reference to a purchase but it's a code known to their customer service and not to you on the site.
Would be nice if they added an english description of the item purchased or order # you can see on the site.
But when I did have an item to challenge, I gave Amazon customer service the code from the CC bill and they could easily find my order and
resolve my issue. Just prefer to make it easier to read the bill. Have not seen the Synchrony store card statement but it sounds better than Chase.

That said I have a Synchrony card from another vendor. I find Synchrony to have the worst online service of all the cards I have.
I have Amex, Citi, Chase and a Synchrony card. Chase and Amex have excellent sites and customer service, Citi and Synchrony are terrible,
with Synchrony in last place to me. Their site was down all day last Saturday, unplanned. The site has features that it says are a work in progress (like text alerts - not exactly new tech). The cash back deal for my Synch card gives no transparency. Chase site shows how much cash back you get for each purchase, Synchrony doesn't (just totals by category but no way to cross ref to specific transactions). Overall I would not apply for a Synchrony card again unless it was a flat cash back rate so the transparency doesn't matter. My current card has 4/3/2/1 % back depending on the store category and it's not easy to see how transactions are categorized. Citi has worse customer service (chat, phone) of them all and of course is not an Amazon card, Synchrony I never had to call/chat (and Synchrony has no chat for CS).
Last edited by beyou on Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:00 am A decent card but I don't like that they are pondering switching to Amex or Synchrony (most likely a Mastercard). Since I need a Visa card for Costco, I'm switching to BofA Travel Rewards card.
Where did you read this ? They already have Synchrony option so why do they need to switch to Synchrony ?
The choices are Synchrony and Chase now.

And Amex would be fine too, great service from Chase and Amex. But I would not want to switch just because I can't stand when these
store branded cards make you move with them from bank to bank, changing your card #s, and ruining your credit report with more cards.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

beyou wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:58 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:00 am A decent card but I don't like that they are pondering switching to Amex or Synchrony (most likely a Mastercard). Since I need a Visa card for Costco, I'm switching to BofA Travel Rewards card.
Where did you read this ? They already have Synchrony option so why do they need to switch to Synchrony ?
The choices are Synchrony and Chase now.

And Amex would be fine too, great service from Chase and Amex. But I would not want to switch just because I can't stand when these
store branded cards make you move with them from bank to bank, changing your card #s, and ruining your credit report with more cards.
One example: https://www.investopedia.com/amazon-con ... se-5188745

Amex may be fine but I need a Visa card for Costco as I don't have another Visa card at the moment. The BofA Visa card + 2.62% CB seems great, and that's what I'm exploring.
Last edited by Marseille07 on Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Only issue I had with Chase was that I already had a Chase Freedom card with large limit.
So they granted me a Chase Prime Visa with a small limit.
I called Chase and wanted a larger limit, so they did increase but partly by moving some of the limit from old to new Chase card,
and partly giving a larger total combined limit. Seemed silly but Chase doesn't like giving you way more credit than you historically use.
But the result was fine for me, other than minor hit to credit score by having older card reduce limit (and usual hit due to adding a new card).
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Don't agree on Chase. Had longtime Chase Freedom with large limit. Just opened Sapphire Preferred and got 87% of that. Wife opened Sapphire Preferred and got the same. So increased total Chase limit by 270%.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

etfan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:15 pm
atdharris wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:34 am I love Amex and they have great service, but their cash back cards are weak and they only allow statement credits rather than direct deposit.

Normally it's just a little more convenient to have direct deposit, but I do have some cards (Wells Fargo for example) that only allow credits (effectively, since they don't allow redemption to "foreign" bank accounts.) For example if you decide to stop using the card for a while (maybe to meet a bonus requirement on another card), you might have that cash-back balance hanging out there for a while if you can't get a direct deposit (and don't want to do paper checks.) So, just a minor annoyance. Also I find cards with higher minimum redemption requirements (such as $50 vs. $25) mildly annoying as well.
etfan

Post by etfan »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:47 am
etfan wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:15 pm

Normally it's just a little more convenient to have direct deposit, but I do have some cards (Wells Fargo for example) that only allow credits (effectively, since they don't allow redemption to "foreign" bank accounts.) For example if you decide to stop using the card for a while (maybe to meet a bonus requirement on another card), you might have that cash-back balance hanging out there for a while if you can't get a direct deposit (and don't want to do paper checks.)
Oh, of course. I didn't think of that. That has happened to me a couple times. It usually forces me to use the card so I can then use the statement credits.
beyou

Post by beyou »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:20 am Don't agree on Chase. Had longtime Chase Freedom with large limit. Just opened Sapphire Preferred and got 87% of that. Wife opened Sapphire Preferred and got the same. So increased total Chase limit by 270%.
There is nothing to agree or disagree. I was telling what factually happened in my case just last year.
I am sure banks have an evolving formula for determining credit limits/approvals, that varies over time.
Note I applied shortly after the pandemic stock market correction, and I think many banks were worried about the economy.
Chase is notoriously conservative in taking risk and more aggressive in denials, credit limit reductions or low initial approvals.
Another on this thread indicated he got a lower credit limit than expected, and many reviews on Amazon claim they got denied despite good credit. I had and still have over 800 FICO and do not carry excessive limits on too many cards. I have maybe $100k total across all card issuers, intentionally. Most banks will throw cards at you and extend limits, Chase is well known as the opposite.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:18 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:20 am Don't agree on Chase. Had longtime Chase Freedom with large limit. Just opened Sapphire Preferred and got 87% of that. Wife opened Sapphire Preferred and got the same. So increased total Chase limit by 270%.
There is nothing to agree or disagree. I was telling what factually happened in my case just last year.
I am sure banks have an evolving formula for determining credit limits/approvals, that varies over time.
Note I applied shortly after the pandemic stock market correction, and I think many banks were worried about the economy.
Chase is notoriously conservative in taking risk and more aggressive in denials, credit limit reductions or low initial approvals.
Another on this thread indicated he got a lower credit limit than expected, and many reviews on Amazon claim they got denied despite good credit. I had and still have over 800 FICO and do not carry excessive limits on too many cards. I have maybe $100k total across all card issuers, intentionally. Most banks will throw cards at you and extend limits, Chase is well known as the opposite.
On average Chase has provided me with cards with probably about a $5k limit, regardless of card type (including fee-based cards.) I've been a Chase business and personal banking customer for decades. During and shortly after the financial crisis they would only give me new cards with credit limits taken from existing cards. My more recent cards have come with about $3k-$5k limits, but cards from other providers have been in a similar range. I haven't had a card offer a limit increase from any provider since the early 2000's.
beyou

Post by beyou »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm
Cranberry44 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 am Very interesting that Amazon may switch banks for the card. I wonder what that means for current card holds...
Yes interesting; I hadn't heard that. I can't imagine a change would benefit those of us with the existing card (or probably anyone else.)
Trying to recall when in the past I had a store brand card, and they switched banks.
Don't recall if new bank makes you apply again (and associated pull against your credit report) or if they just mail you a new card
for existing card holders. The articles I read about Amazon and Chase described that Chase may "sell their portfolio" which means if you have a debt balance, another bank would collect it from you, not Chase. To me that means they have to open an account for you and transfer the balance.
If one has to apply for the new card, not sure how they can transfer the balance if you choose NOT to apply ?

If this involves a hard pull, while I want a 5% Amazon card, I will have to consider if I want to get it immediately.
I got 2 new cards last year and that takes 2 years to come off your credit report, don't want to add a 3rd pull/new card issue.
I very rarely apply for new cards, don't play the bonus game (the cards I got recently had good bonuses but it was the ongoing features I cared about since I don't want to churn - but looks like Amazon and Chase are going to churn for us).
beyou

Post by beyou »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 am
On average Chase has provided me with cards with probably about a $5k limit, regardless of card type (including fee-based cards.) I've been a Chase business and personal banking customer for decades. During and shortly after the financial crisis they would only give me new cards with credit limits taken from existing cards. My more recent cards have come with about $3k-$5k limits, but cards from other providers have been in a similar range. I haven't had a card offer a limit increase from any provider since the early 2000's.
Yeah you have to ASK for the credit limit increases. At Chase that can involve being asked to call them and speak to someone after a failed online request. Other banks just approve online and you get it immediately. I have 2 Chase cards (Amazon and Freedom) with 20K each, but the older one was reduced to 20 so I could increase to 20 on Amazon (and now Amazon is going to drop Chase...so I did this for nothing).
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:26 am
tibbitts wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm
Cranberry44 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:59 am Very interesting that Amazon may switch banks for the card. I wonder what that means for current card holds...
Yes interesting; I hadn't heard that. I can't imagine a change would benefit those of us with the existing card (or probably anyone else.)
Trying to recall when in the past I had a store brand card, and they switched banks.
Don't recall if new bank makes you apply again (and associated pull against your credit report) or if they just mail you a new card
for existing card holders. The articles I read about Amazon and Chase described that Chase may "sell their portfolio" which means if you have a debt balance, another bank would collect it from you, not Chase. To me that means they have to open an account for you and transfer the balance.
If one has to apply for the new card, not sure how they can transfer the balance if you choose NOT to apply ?

If this involves a hard pull, while I want a 5% Amazon card, I will have to consider if I want to get it immediately.
I got 2 new cards last year and that takes 2 years to come off your credit report, don't want to add a 3rd pull/new card issue.
I very rarely apply for new cards, don't play the bonus game (the cards I got recently had good bonuses but it was the ongoing features I cared about since I don't want to churn - but looks like Amazon and Chase are going to churn for us).
Costco had an Amex card, and then switched to Visa. Brand new card issued.

Fidelity (not a store card) had an Amex card (issued by Bank of America, not Amex) and a MasterCard, then they switched to a Visa card issued by US Bank.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:28 am
tibbitts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:22 am
Yeah you have to ASK for the credit limit increases. At Chase that can involve being asked to call them and speak to someone after a failed online request. Other banks just approve online and you get it immediately. I have 2 Chase cards (Amazon and Freedom) with 20K each, but the older one was reduced to 20 so I could increase to 20 on Amazon (and now Amazon is going to drop Chase...so I did this for nothing).
Isn't how much credit Chase gives you based on a combination of your credit score, credit report (current credit available/utilization) and income? So even if you compared a couple people all with an 800+ credit score, Chase may still give them very different credit limits.
allenneal99

Post by allenneal99 »

I have the card and I think it is great. No issues. Do consider that you do need Prime membership ($119/year) to take advantage of the 5% cash back for shopping at Amazon and Whole Foods. Without the Prime membership the cash back % is reduced.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

allenneal99 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:41 am I have the card and I think it is great. No issues. Do consider that you do need Prime membership ($119/year) to take advantage of the 5% cash back for shopping at Amazon and Whole Foods. Without the Prime membership the cash back % is reduced.
You only get 3% CB without Prime membership. But if you spend $5,950+ annually at Amazon.com or Whole Foods, that extra 2% CB pays for itself. That doesn't even account for the benefits you get for Prime membership such as free shipping, Prime video, unlimited free cloud photo storage, etc.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:28 am Yeah you have to ASK for the credit limit increases. At Chase that can involve being asked to call them and speak to someone after a failed online request. Other banks just approve online and you get it immediately. I have 2 Chase cards (Amazon and Freedom) with 20K each, but the older one was reduced to 20 so I could increase to 20 on Amazon (and now Amazon is going to drop Chase...so I did this for nothing).
For me it was common to be provided with credit limit increases without asking (or even wanting them) in the past, but that hasn't happened in my case in the past fifteen years or so. I'd just receive a letter saying the limit had been increased.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I've had persistent problems with fraudulent charges--charges from Amazon--on my Chase Amazon visa. This is despite the fact that I have never used the card except as a 100% Amazon card. I get random charges for Prime video or subscription fees from other Amazon accounts. This has extended for the past 1-2 years. These charges are very hard to detect on the CC statement since they are simply Amazon charges, but they are coming from Amazon but from other accounts besides mine. So far, I have been able to have Chase reverse the charges but Amazon has been very unhelpful about it. I'm tired of monitoring my statement for these or wondering if I noticed them all and for the moment I have a BOA card (5,25% with platinum rewards) as my primary Amazon card instead. Time will tell if the different card makes any difference in the fraud.
beyou

Post by beyou »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:59 am
beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:28 am Yeah you have to ASK for the credit limit increases. At Chase that can involve being asked to call them and speak to someone after a failed online request. Other banks just approve online and you get it immediately. I have 2 Chase cards (Amazon and Freedom) with 20K each, but the older one was reduced to 20 so I could increase to 20 on Amazon (and now Amazon is going to drop Chase...so I did this for nothing).
For me it was common to be provided with credit limit increases without asking (or even wanting them) in the past, but that hasn't happened in my case in the past fifteen years or so. I'd just receive a letter saying the limit had been increased.
Same here, I have 20 year old cards and others obtained and closed even earlier. The practice has changed since I started using CCs.

What amazes me is one of the cc sites that helps you understand how your FICO is computed explained that age of oldest card
was only "excellent" if your card was over 25 years old. I wonder how many people keep a card for 25 years ? And these non stop changes in rewards, branding relationships, credit practices mean people change banks/cards every so often even if they don't plan to churn (chase bonuses). I keep a Chase and Amex card from 15-20 years ago solely to improve my FICO score, and use them only when they have good deals on specific purchases. But I really hate applying for new "everyday" cards regularly. The Chase Amazon card was one I hoped to use for a very long time, and now after 1 year seems it may go away. Guess it was too good a deal, and that's why I don't chase deals, the good ones are often reduced/eliminated or other adverse changes. But this is the shortest time I have had a card and had it immediately planned to be obsolete.
beyou

Post by beyou »

anon_investor wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:35 am Isn't how much credit Chase gives you based on a combination of your credit score, credit report (current credit available/utilization) and income? So even if you compared a couple people all with an 800+ credit score, Chase may still give them very different credit limits.
In theory yes, but they have no way of verifying your income (they take your word for it), so I don't think that plays into the decision.
If you honestly tell them you have no income, of course you wont get much of a limit.
But note a common discussion on BH site is "what is my income when retired" for a cc application.
Same question for a student supported by parents, what is their income.
CC companies are OK if you estimate the income to which you "have access" such as from parents or IRA withdrawals.
They can't verify with such a broad interpretation of "income".

So yes your credit report and FICO (which summarizes the data on the credit report) are the main input they have about you.
The other main input Chase explained to me on the phone, was "you don't use all of your Chase credit line now, why do you need more" ?
That also seems to be a very subjective input. Is it ok to say for vacations, home improvement, bump up FICO or others ? No idea.
Not saying all banks ask this nor that Chase asks all customers, but they asked me. I had a 30k card, and maybe spent up to $1k in a month on that particular card, varied greatly over time depending on relative rewards vs other cards. The new Chase Amazon card was maybe 5-7k limit when issued, which was enough, but I told them "if you want me to use this for more than just Amazon, such as for travel, I want a bigger limit or I wouldn't carry in my wallet away on vacation". So they added maybe another $4k and moved about $10k from older Chase card to even them out to 20K each. They didn't even ask me to confirm current income. I also tried to get them to consider the overall credit from other issuers, and in fact I had just closed an account at a competitor and gave up maybe 20k credit limit. Surely they could see this means I am not overextending, just switching cards, but they had no interest in my other cards and their limits either.
beyou

Post by beyou »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:32 am

Fidelity (not a store card) had an Amex card (issued by Bank of America, not Amex) and a MasterCard, then they switched to a Visa card issued by US Bank.
But did they just mail you a new card or you had to apply to their new issuer ?
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

That’s odd and unfortunate

You would think they would notice the account was different
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:12 pm
RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:32 am

But did they just mail you a new card or you had to apply to their new issuer ?
In both cases new cards were issued, no application was necessary.
wickywack

Post by wickywack »

beyou wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:56 pm
frankandbeans wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:15 am We have the "store card" version through Synchrony. One big advantage of that card is that the transaction line includes item description so I can match the charge up with the purchase on e.g. Mint. That single benefit has stopped me from switching to the Chase card (which I assume doesn't do this).

Have never had to contact customer service, so have no comment on customer service complaints re Synchrony.
True that this is a challenge, keeping tabs on what you are charged for. Each charge is just Amazon and a code.
The code does cross reference to a purchase but it's a code known to their customer service and not to you on the site.
Would be nice if they added an english description of the item purchased or order # you can see on the site.
But when I did have an item to challenge, I gave Amazon customer service the code from the CC bill and they could easily find my order and
resolve my issue. Just prefer to make it easier to read the bill. Have not seen the Synchrony store card statement but it sounds better than Chase.

That said I have a Synchrony card from another vendor. I find Synchrony to have the worst online service of all the cards I have.
I have Amex, Citi, Chase and a Synchrony card. Chase and Amex have excellent sites and customer service, Citi and Synchrony are terrible,
with Synchrony in last place to me. Their site was down all day last Saturday, unplanned. The site has features that it says are a work in progress (like text alerts - not exactly new tech). The cash back deal for my Synch card gives no transparency. Chase site shows how much cash back you get for each purchase, Synchrony doesn't (just totals by category but no way to cross ref to specific transactions). Overall I would not apply for a Synchrony card again unless it was a flat cash back rate so the transparency doesn't matter. My current card has 4/3/2/1 % back depending on the store category and it's not easy to see how transactions are categorized. Citi has worse customer service (chat, phone) of them all and of course is not an Amazon card, Synchrony I never had to call/chat (and Synchrony has no chat for CS).

Does anyone else have experience with both cards? We also have the "store card" (Prime, with Synchrony), and I often consider if it's worth it to switch the Chase Visa one instead. Both are 5% at Amazon. We don't do Whole Foods very often. We do use our Cap One Quicksilver (1.5%) as our general cash back, so this would be a little better at restaurants.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

Rex66 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:14 pm That’s odd and unfortunate

You would think they would notice the account was different
Indeed; Amazon know which accounts are making the CC charges by the charge code, and they never had any trouble telling me over the phone that an individual charge (assuming I noticed it on my own) was made by an account "besides mine". They would even give me the initials of the other person holding the (fraudulent) account. But they wouldn't do anything to prevent them, wouldn't retaliate against the account charging my card, wouldn't notify me of the charges or remove any old charges, and said they couldn't do anything on their end to make sure that in the future only charges from my Amazon account were allowed on my Amazon card. They were basically like "even though the fraud is coming from our service, and charging our branded card, it's just your problem". Luckily, Chase reversed the charges, but it's too much of a hassle.

My wife has recently had fraudulent Amazon charges on other (non-Chase) credit cards. I think fraudsters are using Amazon on purpose now because it gets through CC providers' fraud detection algorithms. Since almost everyone shops on Amazon, there is nothing suspicious about an Amazon charge appears on almost anybody's CC statement. And there's a good chance even the cardholder won't notice for a while. So they can make small Amazon charges for a long time and not get caught. The charges are always small (10-15 dollar) charges for Prime or Amazon Web Services charges. The fraudsters are presumably re-selling the goods somehow and it's hard to believe Amazon can't shut that down at the source.
beyou

Post by beyou »

wickywack wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:30 pm
beyou wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:56 pm

Does anyone else have experience with both cards? We also have the "store card" (Prime, with Synchrony), and I often consider if it's worth it to switch the Chase Visa one instead. Both are 5% at Amazon. We don't do Whole Foods very often. We do use our Cap One Quicksilver (1.5%) as our general cash back, so this would be a little better at restaurants.
While Synchrony isn’t great, as Chase may pull out from Amazon card bus, why sign up for a card that may be terminated or modified soon.
Fudgie

Post by Fudgie »

:moneybag
Last edited by Fudgie on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am ...The Chase Amazon card was one I hoped to use for a very long time, and now after 1 year seems it may go away. Guess it was too good a deal, and that's why I don't chase deals, the good ones are often reduced/eliminated or other adverse changes. But this is the shortest time I have had a card and had it immediately planned to be obsolete.
This makes it sound like a done deal that the Chase Amazon card is going to be changed, but at this point I believe that's still just speculation, no?
beyou

Post by beyou »

sycamore wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:12 pm
beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am ...The Chase Amazon card was one I hoped to use for a very long time, and now after 1 year seems it may go away. Guess it was too good a deal, and that's why I don't chase deals, the good ones are often reduced/eliminated or other adverse changes. But this is the shortest time I have had a card and had it immediately planned to be obsolete.
This makes it sound like a done deal that the Chase Amazon card is going to be changed, but at this point I believe that's still just speculation, no?
Read some articles, and sounds most likely they will consolidate with Synchrony or replace Chase with Amex. Some chance the deal with Chase will be revised, which means someone wins and someone loses (Amazon, Chase and us). I am not planning to do anything but wait and see. But given what I read, I would not apply now, until a decision is made.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

beyou wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:08 pm
Read some articles, and sounds most likely they will consolidate with Synchrony or replace Chase with Amex. Some chance the deal with Chase will be revised, which means someone wins and someone loses (Amazon, Chase and us). I am not planning to do anything but wait and see. But given what I read, I would not apply now, until a decision is made.
The rewards are likely to stay the same, just that the network will be different (Visa -> Amex or MC). No one is trying to destroy this card that's offering Amazon-specific rewards people love.

It impacts me as I need a Visa card. But if you don't care which network, then applying now is just fine.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm
The rewards are likely to stay the same, just that the network will be different (Visa -> Amex or MC). No one is trying to destroy this card that's offering Amazon-specific rewards people love.

It impacts me as I need a Visa card. But if you don't care which network, then applying now is just fine.
+1. I was wondering about the "it may go away" and "be obsolete" but maybe (beyou), you just meant that from your perspective or if one specific benefit you like was to be removed? Hard to imagine they'd "obsolete it" by turning it into a run-of-the-mill card with no special benefits. But we'll see...
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

The change from AE to City for Costco was smooth, no applications, everything transferred over for me. I did end up with an increase in my credit as the City card was opened with the same limit as my AE card, which kept everything open with the same credit line after my Costco account was transferred.

I have other cards with better rewards outside of Amazon, if a new card is introduced that continues the 5% rebate, I will use whatever they replace the Chase card with.

I don't particularly like Synchrony, they supply my line of credit at PayPal. The PayPal website is a bit hinkey to begin with, but I do use PayPal Credit for extended payments with no interest to smooth my spending along the way, so, in spite of PayPal's website, the line of credit is useful.

I'm happy with the Chase card, and I hope they keep it and don't change to Synchrony.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
beyou

Post by beyou »

sycamore wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:36 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:12 pm

+1. I was wondering about the "it may go away" and "be obsolete" but maybe (beyou), you just meant that from your perspective or if one specific benefit you like was to be removed? Hard to imagine they'd "obsolete it" by turning it into a run-of-the-mill card with no special benefits. But we'll see...
I do not want another Synchrony card if I can avoid it.
Nothing eventful, but their site stinks.
Amex I like except not a good card outside the US I think.
Yes I would use either for Amazon but not otherwise.
And if it transfers over only, not if I have to apply.
I made a considered decision to pick the Chase over Synchrony, and don’t want to be forced over to Synchrony.
If they just give me one, I will use unless the site/service becomes problematic.

And I am a long time Amex holder but have resisted upgrading to other amex cards since their rewards are mediocre unless you get a care with annual fees. But If they switch, I would take Amex over Synchrony. But overall, would prefer “if it aint broke don’t fix it”.
smalliebigs

Post by smalliebigs »

It's a no brainer for us. We always have Prime, so might as well get the 5% off all the time.