Laid off!!

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
moneywise3

Laid off!!

Post by moneywise3 »

I was laid off on Fri along with a group of colleagues by our newly hired CEO. A bunch of us - across different sites and disciplines - were asked to call in a number on a short notice. The call was a monologue by the CEO that if you’re on this call, your job is being terminated as of today. You’ll have email access until this evening if you want to send a goodbye email to colleagues. Now we will end this call. The call lasted 3 minutes.
Last week in the town-hall we were assured our jobs are safe, and the company is going to make it through the tough times. They have had discussions with the investors, bankers and the board.

It is supposed to be "employment at will", but also seems to be "lying at will". Not being part of any insider clubs, I had to go by what I was told. Talked to two other colleagues that were let go - their first reaction without my prodding was management had lied to us.

It hurt that they had employee meetings right after firing us. Then Engineering group meeting, followed by department wise meetings - all to console the employees that are still employed!! The fired ones were not given an opportunity to say anything. The middle management that was friendly to me until then is not responding to my messages. No clue what criteria was used to decide who to get rid of. There was already a round of performance based layoffs in Feb. My rating as given by my supervisor was "exceeds expectations" (changed to "meets expectations" by a normalizing committee). Since then I had voluntarily taken up additional responsibility. The severance I am offered is pittance - the lowest I've heard of in my 20 year career. Last year I left a job of 8 years where my severance benefit would've been 16-20 weeks. Tomorrow is Monday morning, and I am heart-broken.

I believe it was no fault of mine and nothing I could’ve done would have prevented this. It may be insecurity of some that they recommended I be let go. I may have been the highest paid in my group since I’m most experienced by far, but only slightly higher paid. Although my salary was the lowest I’ve had in the last 7 years.

They kept hiring up until December. All the senior management was replaced/reassigned in Q1 of this year. In fact, a new middle manager is starting tomorrow.

My questions are around these areas, although am still so fuzzy:

1. I'm hurt, deeply hurt. I was lied to and someone got rid of me to look good, and maybe earn a bonus. The trust I had on small company management, as compared to mega-corps, has been shaken. How do these wounds heal?
2. I'm in FL, and have applied for Reemployment assistance. The application shows complete, but even no acknowledgement email from them.
3. Any pointers on how to get health insurance for my family.
4. I work in the field of embedded software. Any hints about job search.
5. Do I stand a chance if I decide to sue them? I will refuse to sign the severance agreement, and use their narrative in the town-hall and the fact they are still hiring at least one person against them. Q1 and March sales was decent. My performance was good - just few weeks ago they paid me a decent bonus.
anon_investor

Re: Laid off!!

Post by anon_investor »

In the U.S. it is employment at will, unless you have an employment contract. They can literally let anyone go for any reason as long it is not illegal (i.e. illegal discrimination). Unfortunately, based on what you have posted, you likely have no basis to sue them. I suggest you not waste any time, money or energy looking to sue them. Many companies have no severence policy, in which case the employer can $0 to people they layoff, so it may be worth considering taking whatever they give you and just move on.
aqan

Post by aqan »

Really sorry to hear about your situation OP. Some companies are more compassionate about their employees and others not so much. Whats done is done.. I would try to not think about it so much.. they don't deserve good, hardworking employees like you. Take a few days/weeks to clear your head and start looking for other opportunities. It may be a bit difficult to find a job in this environment but the job market for IT/software is not bad at all.
Good luck.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’m really sorry you’re going through this. I’m sure it hurts, but I wouldn’t take it personally. The decision to axe you may have been made by somebody who knows nothing about you.

I believe if you’ve been there a year or more, you can maintain your current health care plan for 18 months. Although you will now have to pay the employers portion as well as your own.

Brighter days are ahead, keep fighting.
swordandscales

Post by swordandscales »

Bogle7 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 pm Move on.
Agree with this OP.

The more you replay the scenario in your head, the worse your mental state will be. Look forward - you’re in a field that should be quick to move to a new job (making some assumptions here)

Put your energy in the future. Don’t poison your thoughts with the past.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Well, that sucks.

Your post is dripping with emotion. Try to act rationally.

Nothing that you mentioned makes me believe you have a case. By all means, speak to an attorney if you want advice. I don't think I would be writing any checks in that meeting, however. If you're not going to sue, turning down the severance may be unwise, depending on the terms.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Normchad wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:07 pm I’m really sorry you’re going through this. I’m sure it hurts, but I wouldn’t take it personally. The decision to axe you may have been made by somebody who knows nothing about you.

I believe if you’ve been there a year or more, you can maintain your current health care plan for 18 months. Although you will now have to pay the employers portion as well as your own.

Brighter days are ahead, keep fighting.
Details for health care:

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/health-plans/cobra
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

So sorry to hear.

5. The narrative in the town hall is of little use in a suit. If you acted upon that town hall info and say, rejected a job offer with another company bcos you wanted to stay where you are, you would have a possible claim. Otherwise, not likely. But it doesn't hurt to contact a local attorney who specializes in employment/labor law and buy an hour of his/her time to review your situation.
They kept hiring up until December.
Nearly all companies were doing teh same, and now four months later are laying off/fuloughing hundreds. Sorry, the pandemic is not bad management.

Does signing a release get you any payments toward COBRA?
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

moneywise3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm I was laid off on Fri along with a group of colleagues by our newly hired CEO. A bunch of us - across different sites and disciplines - were asked to call in a number on a short notice. The call was a monologue by the CEO that if you’re on this call, your job is being terminated as of today. You’ll have email access until this evening if you want to send a goodbye email to colleagues. Now we will end this call. The call lasted 3 minutes.
Last week in the town-hall we were assured our jobs are safe, and the company is going to make it through the tough times. They have had discussions with the investors, bankers and the board.

It is supposed to be "employment at will", but also seems to be "lying at will". Not being part of any insider clubs, I had to go by what I was told. Talked to two other colleagues that were let go - their first reaction without my prodding was management had lied to us.

It hurt that they had employee meetings right after firing us. Then Engineering group meeting, followed by department wise meetings - all to console the employees that are still employed!! The fired ones were not given an opportunity to say anything. The middle management that was friendly to me until then is not responding to my messages. No clue what criteria was used to decide who to get rid of. There was already a round of performance based layoffs in Feb. My rating as given by my supervisor was "exceeds expectations" (changed to "meets expectations" by a normalizing committee). Since then I had voluntarily taken up additional responsibility. The severance I am offered is pittance - the lowest I've heard of in my 20 year career. Last year I left a job of 8 years where my severance benefit would've been 16-20 weeks. Tomorrow is Monday morning, and I am heart-broken.

I believe it was no fault of mine and nothing I could’ve done would have prevented this. It may be insecurity of some that they recommended I be let go. I may have been the highest paid in my group since I’m most experienced by far, but only slightly higher paid. Although my salary was the lowest I’ve had in the last 7 years.

They kept hiring up until December. All the senior management was replaced/reassigned in Q1 of this year. In fact, a new middle manager is starting tomorrow.

1. I'm hurt, deeply hurt. I was lied to and someone got rid of me to look good, and maybe earn a bonus. The trust I had on small company management, as compared to mega-corps, has been shaken. How do these wounds heal?
2. I'm in FL, and have applied for Reemployment assistance. The application shows complete, but even no acknowledgement email from them.
5. Do I stand a chance if I decide to sue them? I will refuse to sign the severance agreement, and use their narrative in the town-hall and the fact they are still hiring at least one person against them. Q1 and March sales was decent. My performance was good - just few weeks ago they paid me a decent bonus.
That sucks pretty bad, sorry to hear that. I never believe anything coming out of management's mouth because they will always tell you everything is going to be ok. Mine told us that just last week actually...maybe I'm next.

Hang in there.

What was the severance package?
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Next to the death of my spouse, the worst experience in my life was when I was let go in the early 80's recession. It shook me to my core, it also made me more empathic to others in some ways and in the end when I had gotten back on my feet, made me a better manager. But it was rough. It was worse than the loss of even my mother or the aunts who raised me. It will take time to process it, to realize emotionally that as you said it wasn't your fault. Anger, grief, outrage, fear, confusion as to what to do, depression, they are going to be part of the course for a while. It was unfair, but you will recover.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

moneywise3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm 4. I work in the field of embedded software. Any hints about job search.
I know you feel anger and resentment and hurt.

You will lend on your feet.
Embedded software is a great field.
Defense contractors are very likely hiring, and those jobs are considered essential.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

I was laid off once in my career. It came as a shock and your reaction is common.

1. It is highly likely that signing the severance agreement is in your best interest. Call HR or your boss tomorrow and ask to arrange to come in and sign. Try hard to be friendly and accommodating. A lawsuit is not going get you anywhere, but good relations can get you very valuable good references and maybe even a recall or some consulting work if they end up needing your expertise. Never burn a bridge you do not have to.

2. Ask if they are giving any outplacement assistance. Even a small amount of assistance, maybe even a formal outplacement program, is very valuable.

3. It took nearly a year but I ended up with a better, higher paid job. You can also do that.

4. Do not "take some time off to sort things out". Start looking for another job tomorrow. Keep an ongoing list of about a week's plan on job search activities updated every day. Also every evening make a plan with specific items you are going to accomplish the next day. Accomplish every one of them before you take any personal or recreational time.

5. Think things through and get help and advice on a resume before you post one online or send one out. Get someone else to proofread and discuss your resume. You only get one shot at making a first impression -- make it your best shot every single time.

On edit:

6. Ask both your previous boss and HR for leads on where to look for another job. Do not let pride and resentment stand in the way of your success.
Last edited by CurlyDave on Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
fatFIRE

Post by fatFIRE »

OP, I'm sorry to hear for your loss. Take a few weeks off, then get back in with a vengeance. Challenge yourself to find another job that is better than your existing one. Go read up on interview strategies if you're rusty. In a nutshell, make a list of companies... apply and interview with the throwaway companies first. Once you've build up some offers and confidence, go for the hard ones. And interview with them all at the same time to maximize the probability of competing offers.

I know talk is cheap, but I hope that helps.

I'm wondering if there's any way to negotiate a better severance? Perhaps others can chip in? I'm thinking along the lines that you don't have to sue... and as long you give the impression you're going to give the company problems, they might throw some money your way just to shut you up.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

moneywise3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm I was laid off on Fri along with a group of colleagues by our newly hired CEO. A bunch of us - across different sites and disciplines - were asked to call in a number on a short notice. The call was a monologue by the CEO that if you’re on this call, your job is being terminated as of today. You’ll have email access until this evening if you want to send a goodbye email to colleagues. Now we will end this call. The call lasted 3 minutes.

I’m sorry to hear you were laid off. From you narrative the only thing that stuck out was a lack of seniority. You said you left a job last year of 8 years... I’m assuming for this one. It could quite simply be that you are a fairly new hire.

I don’t have any advice on suing or not accepting a severance. I could imagine that could be difficult during this time. Best of luck and I hope you make peace with this soon.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

Moneywise,
Sorry for what you are going through.

Seen it all.
1) A company in our Group had a rah rah meeting in August. They were on the way, upward and onward. By Nov., company closed down completely.

2) I'm retired now (for 19 years). When I left MegaCorp, I told my colleagues who were still there to "look out for number one". There is no loyalty coming from the company. Do your job and do it well, but don't overdo the loyalty-for-the-company bit.

3. I had a former colleague who went to work for a well known company. After several years there he was laid off. He too was very upset. He refused to sign the severance agreement. He sued the company. Many years later, the courts ruled against him. So he lost his severance and had to pay his legal expenses. Would have been so much better off if he had taken the severance.

Good luck to you. Maybe this will motivate you to become more diligent in your retirement planning and get to retire several years earlier than you're currently planning for.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I am sorry for your pain. I am surprised at some of what you wrote given that you have had a 20 year career. After two decades in the work force, I would think you would have a less idealistic view of the workplace. You were part of a larger action. This is not personal. This is happening to millions of people everyday right now.

In my experience, employees who are let go immediately lose access to email, are immediately escorted off company property and certainly would not be given an opportunity to speak to the remaining employees. Small companies, in my experience, either give no severance or give just 2 or 3 weeks severance. And the world is such an entirely different place than it was a month ago such that actions taken in December are irrelevant. You might not have even been lied to given how quickly all business have had to reassess their plans from day to day.

I hope that after a few days removed from the event and a few nice long walks, you will be able to realize this is not a personal reflection on your worth. I am glad you have a skill set that will be in demand going forward. All the best to you.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Sorry to hear, OP. As an engineer in embedded software your skills will get you through.
CurlyDave wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:34 pm
1. It is highly likely that signing the severance agreement is in your best interest. Call HR or your boss tomorrow and ask to arrange to come in and sign. Try hard to be friendly and accommodating. A lawsuit is not going get you anywhere, but good relations can get you very valuable good references and maybe even a recall or some consulting work if they end up needing your expertise. Never burn a bridge you do not have to.
+1
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I am very sorry about your job loss.
moneywise3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm
Your choices will be either continuing on your existing health plan through COBRA or signing up for an ACA plan. Difficult to say which one is the best choice for you. COBRA tends to be relatively expensive, but you get to keep the plan you now have, and if you like it and/or your current doctors, that might be worth considering in the decision. An ACA plan (you can shop around on healthcare.gov) may not give you access to the same providers.

HR should provide you the the COBRA information and you have six (?) weeks to sign up for it, and coverage will be retroactive to your day of separation or whenever your current coverage ends (could be end of the month).

Here is a recent thread with some helpful info:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=312168&p=5194907
Last edited by TravelGeek on Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

srt7 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:52 pm Sorry to hear, OP. As an engineer in embedded software your skills will get you through.
CurlyDave wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:34 pm
+1
+2
All the Best, | Joe
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Thankfully I don’t have direct experience with this situation but I thought severance was based on how long you were with the company. So if you’ve only been there a year a few weeks seems normal. Often it is 2 weeks per year you’ve been there except for people on special contracts.

I’m surprised they didn’t walk you out immediately. That is pretty standard now to avoid employees sabotaging computer systems, etc. And management was likely told to avoid talking with anyone let go for legal reasons.

I’m sure getting let go sucks but I think your expectations are unrealistic in today’s world. Management shouldn’t have said no one would be let go but they can’t come out and say they expect to lay off people because then the best employees would start looking for a new job since they have top skills and the company wouldn’t want to risk losing any.

I worked at a defense contractor years ago, and after a big meeting where the VP kept saying you need to be more efficient and he didn’t see any issues with our bidding process despite losing contracts, I read between the lines and immediately updated my resume and left within a year. I may have been safe but wouldn’t want to be looking over my shoulder wondering whose next and deal with the poor morale.

Good luck
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

The American employer-employee relationship is all about business. There are neither friends nor foes. It is all about interest. For the case of an at-will employment, either party, employer or employee, is free to terminate the employment. Take a severance if any or the best one if negotiable and move on.
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

rich126 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:09 pm ... I thought severance was based on how long you were with the company. So if you’ve only been there a year a few weeks seems normal. Often it is 2 weeks per year you’ve been there except for people on special contracts.
Severance is not a policy, but just a practice. Yes, it may be difficult for a large employer to change a long established severance suddenly, but it is a different matter with small employers.
William Million

Post by William Million »

Very sorry for that. Best of luck to you.

Look forward. When you interview at other firms, please work hard not to betray any bitterness toward your past employer. I know it's hard, but firms hire upbeat applicants.

Beyond that, I'd use this unfortunate hiatus, to the extent possible, as an opportunity - an opportunity to reassess your employment goals and priorities, to take stock of where you are health-wise (diet, exercise, mental health), and to enjoy some quality time with family. No question, though, it's tough. I've been there.
Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer »

MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 pm The American employer-employee relationship is all about business. There are neither friends nor foes. It is all about interest. For the case of an at-will employment, either party, employer or employee, is free to terminate the employment. Take a severance if any or the best one if negotiable and move on.
In early 2009, a friend of mine, who was in sales for an automotive supplier, got called into corporate for a meeting. He drove across two states, and they sat him at a table with HR and fired him. They took the keys to his company car, his mobile phone, and marched him to the door, stranding him in the parking lot about 300 miles from home.
“The greatest shortcoming of the human race is our inability to understand the exponential function.” - Albert Allen Bartlett
moshe

Post by moshe »

My take:

Only take another job if you must.

Work for yourself. Prospect. Find projects. Do your best. Prospect. Never look back. You can do it.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing to keep in mind is that sometimes even executives don't know what is going on.

I did not work at that level but one time I was working for a company that was in a merger and some people had already been laid off. I was walking down a hall and was passing a VP I knew and he asked how things were going. I replied, "Just waiting for the next shoe to drop."

The VP was wearing loafers so he flipped a shoe in the air and said, "There, the next shoe dropped, it is all over with." I think he honestly meant it.

The funny thing was that the next week he was laid off and I am pretty sure that took him by surprise.
Stef

Post by Stef »

Stormbringer wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:33 pm
MathIsMyWayr wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:12 pm The American employer-employee relationship is all about business. There are neither friends nor foes. It is all about interest. For the case of an at-will employment, either party, employer or employee, is free to terminate the employment. Take a severance if any or the best one if negotiable and move on.
In early 2009, a friend of mine, who was in sales for an automotive supplier, got called into corporate for a meeting. He drove across two states, and they sat him at a table with HR and fired him. They took the keys to his company car, his mobile phone, and marched him to the door, stranding him in the parking lot about 300 miles from home.
Holy cow. This is just unimaginable in Europe. Something like this would result in a gigantic media backlash that would put the company out of business.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

You are going to have to free yourself from the burden that this is "unfair" and your contribution has not been recognised.

New CEO. Organisation in survival mode. "Just get it done" to HR & layoffs. That you were in the higher pay made you more of a target. There is no loyalty out there, especially not at times like these.

Get your CV together, start making contacts. Get your health insurance sorted. Apply for unemployment benefits if your state offers any (I gather Florida by-and-large, does not).

Be prepared to make compromises. Relocate or work away from home for a time. Contract work. Can you work remotely?

This is a recession, verging on a Depression. The worst the US has encountered post 1945. Things are tough. Even places that have "unlocked" in other countries have had to go back into lockdown again, and that is the pattern for the forseeable future (talk of a vaccine in 18 months would beat the record for any other vaccine we've ever developed; talk of "herd immunity" rests on an unknown, for how long does exposure to the virus convey immunity to it?).
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Sorry to hear this. One consolation is that the people who kept their jobs there probably aren't going to be super loyal, hard working employees, given the way things appear to have unfolded.

The usual guidance is that it is easier to find a job if you have a job. Try dice.com, which is where one software/hardware friend of mine has found contract work for years. But any job will do because employers do like to hire people who are doing something, preferably with some responsibility, which can be as little as just showing up. As possible, keep your skills, and improve them. Check out the MOOCs, massive online courses. Many of them are likely up your alley if not ways to retrain a little or a lot. Perhaps look at some sort of certification(s). For example, National Instruments has different levels of certification for their unique products, Microsoft certification, etc. You'd have to figure out which way(s) to go are interesting and useful. Shake the tree, look to your college alumni site for contacts, for example.

I do know that many companies hire engineers of all sorts to develop and/or enhance and/or run their IT groups. Apparently being in charge of IT security is a big need, although usually these types don't last long because they are given huge responsibility without authority, and few resources to truly make a firm's computer systems secure. (Although I have a bit of a broad handle on how to approach that... DM me if interested in hearing it.) You could also work on an on-line master's degree in data science or some such. Going back to school might not be too bad as a way to show some continuity/responsibility/retrain, etc. You're young compared with people getting ready to retire soon, who just want to get the work done by hiring someone who can work and get things done, so don't be shy about contacting people (as pointed out up-thread) in the defense industry, etc.

Other guidance is that getting a job should become a full-time job. Figure out how it works in your industry, whether by a traditional resume, LInked-In might be necessary to at least get on in some way (not my favorite, but I'm old fashioned and semi-retired, although an engineer).
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

moneywise3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm

So sorry you are going through this.

I've nothing to add as you've been given really good advice above.

Are they offering in the severance agreement to subsidize any of your COBRA health insurance?
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

I'm in tech, and I've been on both sides of the table, both having to lay off people as a manager and having been laid off myself, a few times. Layoffs in tech are a common occurrence, I'm afraid.

As a manager, I've had the displeasure of having to choose groups of people multiple times to be laid off, some of which I'd worked with for years. It's stomach wrenching. And it's even worse knowing that the many of the peers of the people you're letting go, people you're still going to see every day, will likely disagree with at least some of the choices you made. And many people will try and draw their own conclusions about why you chose whom you chose. And they're inevitably wrong. But, as a manager, you can't discuss it.

There is almost always a "tell". With experience, you'll begin to notice them. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes it's sheer stupidity on somebody's part, which make the dots easy to connect. And never in my career has it ever been a surprise to anybody that layoffs were coming, in general. Somebody always leaks something, unless a company is very small. Sometimes the tell is significantly far enough in advance, you have time to find your next job before you get notified. In 2 of the 3 times I've been laid off, I already had offer-in-hand by the day of official notification.

For the OP
- This is why bogleheads suggest keeping an emergency fund, especially in the early part of your career
- Always keep your resume' up to date. Always.
- Sorry to hear about the difficulties you're having with Florida's unemployment system. It's the source of a lot of bad news, lately.
- Immediately start looking at the cost of COBRA to extend your current medical insurance and compare to Obamacare/ACA plans available to you.
- Unless you're absolutely sure that you were laid off due to something like age or other legally defined discrimination reasons, I'd save my money on lawyers fees.
- You might want to attempt to negotiate your severance, though I don't know many who have done this successfully.
- Keep yourself healthy and fit. Highly important for both your physical and mental wellbeing
- Make the job search a job itself. Develop a daily routine, just as you would during your job.
- Find out what skills you've always wanted to have but don't. Plenty of ways to get them via books, online courses (both free and paid) and work on that.

This is going to be a highly emotional time for you, especially immediately after the event. Often times companies provide EAP (Employee Assistance Program) for an extended period of time after employment ceases. It's always something to consider, if it's available. Regardless, you will get through this.
Last edited by dcabler on Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

Monsterflockster wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:39 pm
I’m sorry to hear you were laid off. From you narrative the only thing that stuck out was a lack of seniority. You said you left a job last year of 8 years... I’m assuming for this one. It could quite simply be that you are a fairly new hire.

I don’t have any advice on suing or not accepting a severance. I could imagine that could be difficult during this time. Best of luck and I hope you make peace with this soon.
This stood out to me also. Sometimes, in my experience, time at a company helps. Leadership has a deeper understanding of your skills, value, etc. you may even have been being paid a significant amount more than others doing similar work that have been there for eight years.

Of course the exact opposite is also true at times.

I can’t imagine the stress (well, I have tried to because I assume every downturn like this puts me next on the list, but so far so good since 2000), but punch a pillow a few times, go for a walk, then sharpen your pencil and get the resume updated. Your field changes every week, so also I’d seek out ways for continued learning.
Pomegranate

Post by Pomegranate »

Sorry to hear that...
Being a low level manager I can tell you that for upper leadership IC’s are nothing but numbers in excel. They have 0 feelings for mass hiring or mass layoffs. If you didn’t watch The Platform (2019) I highly recommend it to you
How far away from FI are you?
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I’ve been though it and I’m sorry to hear that now you have, too.

This is always how it goes, especially with an RIF. It must be secret and sudden. If anyone at the company gets wind of it, people start jumping ship, so they assure everyone their jobs are safe. IMO, whenever you hear that, start looking for another job.

The termination meeting is short. The decision has been made and no one on the other end of the call is going to like what is said. More conversation = more chance for hurt feelings and potential suits. Plus, the person making the call typically doesn’t enjoy the task.

When you decide to leave a company, you don’t tell them until you’ve found another job. You want to leave on your terms. Well, the company likes RIFs to go that way, too.

It stinks. We all tend to take it personally because we are human. It’s hard not to. But most of the time it’s not personal. It’s business. Unfortunately, it’s life.

But there’s a good side. You get to go out and find something that makes you more happy. Yours does not strike one as an “I just lost the best job ever" post. Find you a better situation.

Good luck,

JT
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

OP is at the first stages of grief. The quicker he/she gets through the process, the sooner he can project an employable demeanor. Perhaps it might be helpful to vent with one of the many free employment counselling services available. Families can only help to a very limited extent as they have their own stresses to deal with.

The first time I was laid off, it was from a recent acquisition that was being divested after second thoughts. I had been with the parent 17 years, received a reasonable severance, and scored 6 months of counseling. But it took me a year to get another job that at that point I took out of desperation. It lasted only a couple of months.

The second time it happened I was totally surprised, similarly to the OP. I blew several promising new opportunities because I kept talking during the interviews about how I had been wronged by my old employer. It would have been better to have waited until I had calmed down before squandering the low hanging fruit.

Along with his mental condition, OP must assess his physical condition and his skills set. Prior to normalizing his emotions, OP should get fit, review the latest and greatest in his field, and strategize how he can best land a new job. The pandemic has likely put new hiring on hold, so it is not necessary to get out there now (unless there is somebody who will take him in spite of the baggage he is now emoting).

All employees are subject to dismissal. If any employee "feels secure" they have set themselves up just like the OP.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

moneywise3 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:54 pm 1. I'm hurt, deeply hurt. I was lied to and someone got rid of me to look good, and maybe earn a bonus. The trust I had on small company management, as compared to mega-corps, has been shaken. How do these wounds heal?
So sorry about your situation Moneywise. You're probably feeling a ton of emotions right now and feeling misled. It is likely not much consolation that the layoffs were less about you and more about hitting a number (people or dollars). Recognize that this was not likely about you or your performance.

There is no silver bullet advice that can get you through this quickly. Working through your emotions will take time. Finding your next career move will take time. Start making a plan that includes healthy choices and steps towards these objectives each day.

Praying that you have such a day today.
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
simas

Post by simas »

CurlyDave wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:34 pm I was laid off once in my career. It came as a shock and your reaction is common.

2. Ask if they are giving any outplacement assistance. Even a small amount of assistance, maybe even a formal outplacement program, is very valuable.

3. It took nearly a year but I ended up with a better, higher paid job. You can also do that.

4. Do not "take some time off to sort things out". Start looking for another job tomorrow. Keep an ongoing list of about a week's plan on job search activities updated every day. Also every evening make a plan with specific items you are going to accomplish the next day. Accomplish every one of them before you take any personal or recreational time.

5. Think things through and get help and advice on a resume before you post one online or send one out. Get someone else to proofread and discuss your resume. You only get one shot at making a first impression -- make it your best shot every single time.

On edit:

6. Ask both your previous boss and HR for leads on where to look for another job. Do not let pride and resentment stand in the way of your success.
This above is probably the best advice you got. Get up and move on. if you feel you need to vent out your aggression and frustration ('it is other peoples's fault'), get a boxing bag and punch until your muscles hurt (or do push ups, or pull ups , or whatever workout routine you get).

No, you were not lied to . No , this has nothing to do with you. No, 'I will sue them' is stupid and career damaging move.

Recognize your emotions, deal with them , and then shove them deep when it is time to be professional and act professionally because that is what people would remember. File for UI which you will get and do quality, let your network know you are available and start your job search. You are not the first in this position, not the last, and not the first/last time this would occur in your career. This is very routine situation happening to many millions of people now, and was happening since time begin and would happen again in each of many cycles that are occurring. no need to beat yourself up because of this or wallow in self pity.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Good luck out there!

This happens to many. In the last month you've joined cohorts of millions who were let go. Most of them without a severance package, so count your blessings!
Get rich or die tryin'
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

swordandscales wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:08 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:00 pm Move on.
Agree with this OP.

The more you replay the scenario in your head, the worse your mental state will be. Look forward - you’re in a field that should be quick to move to a new job (making some assumptions here)

Put your energy in the future. Don’t poison your thoughts with the past.
+1

Take any severance and move on. Your former employer is in deep trouble if it is replacing mgmt wholesale.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

You have received some good advice that I hope you find helpful. Consider taking the severance package offered and not pursuing legal action. I don’t believe you will win (especially in this mass-layoff environment) and the process likely will cost you money and delay your healing.

Be sure to take care of yourself through exercise, meditation, etc.

Focus on the things you can control, such as figuring out healthcare coverage, updating your CV/resume, networking, applying for unemployment, etc.

It’s also a good time to:
1) reassess your emergency fund in case you want to make minor changes, such as setting dividends to be paid into your settlement fund rather than reinvesting.
2) cut discretionary expenses, requote insurance, etc. Do it now rather than wait a few months. It will be helpful to have an emergency fund that lasts longer due to lower expenses.

Best of luck.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Apply for unemployment insurance today. Go to healthcare.gov to get started applying for Obamacare. Good luck in Florida with the state mentality that the unemployed don't deserve a social safety net. You should at least get the $600/week from the stimulus that was just passed by the Feds.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Proactive and moving forward is better than non movement, drifting, and stewing.
Thus:
Replace feeling and emotion with action. (feel later).
1 Apply for unemployment and any other benefits available.
2 Check into Cobra to extend medical insurance.
3 Check into ACA sign up, what is available, what your family needs are.
4. Cut debt, trim expenses, run your budget (tight), as if it will be awhile before you are hired again.
5 Focus, Focus, on finding new employment, even if part time, consider it a "transition" job and if a "dream job" better yet. Just get hired. You can keep looking for more opportunities as you work at that job. Make looking for work your full time job.
6 Move now, rest later.
7 Adapt, Improvise, Overcome . . . Make a proactive plan. . strategize . . . then do it daily.
8 Etc
9 Read: "Life Code" and "Life Strategy" by Dr. Phil.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Nearly everyone is using embedded computing these days. (I work for a chip maker who started life doing almost nothing else). From IoT to military, they all do it. Bone up on whatever flavor of tool you know and perhaps learn the "other" tool (MIPs vs ARM). Along with this stuff in computing, aerospace and military comes FPGAs. Look at who the leaders are there and learn what you can about them. (our most recent acquisition makes those). I used to cover Florida long ago and there are plenty of potential places to work. Shotgun out your resume.

Get to the unemployment web page as soon as you can, in case there's a waiting period.

Unless your company is itty bitty, their lawyers would crush any claim against them, including age discrimination (been there). Don't waste your time. Move onward.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

HomeStretch wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:54 am You have received some good advice that I hope you find helpful. Consider taking the severance package offered and not pursuing legal action. I don’t believe you will win (especially in this mass-layoff environment) and the process likely will cost you money and delay your healing.

Be sure to take care of yourself through exercise, meditation, etc.

Focus on the things you can control, such as figuring out healthcare coverage, updating your CV/resume, networking, applying for unemployment, etc.

It’s also a good time to:
1) reassess your emergency fund in case you want to make minor changes, such as setting dividends to be paid into your settlement fund rather than reinvesting.
2) cut discretionary expenses, requote insurance, etc. Do it now rather than wait a few months. It will be helpful to have an emergency fund that lasts longer due to lower expenses.

Best of luck.
+1 on #2. I was in an extended 10 month stretch between jobs and did a lot of things like this because I simply couldn't find the time when I was working.
- Started tracking all of our expenditures in a spreadsheet, which we really hadn't done before. We had a reasonable idea, but it was a good time to see some exact details. As a result, we found some low hanging fruit to save some $$, many of which carry over to today.
- Adjusted car and homeowners insurance.
- Borrowed an infrared sensor and found some hotspots in the ceiling and added extra insulation.
- Of course dialed eating out waaaay back. Kinda like now with CV-19.
- Rode my bike 4 or 5 times a week and got in pretty good shape.
- Put in some low flow showerheads in each of the showers.
- Dropped our AT&T landline and replaced it with an Ooma.
- "Cut the cord", bought an antenna, and a Tivo with a lifetime subscription.
- We have a pool and after finding an online calculator, I discovered we were running the pump way too long over the course of a day. Was quite a noticeable drop in electricity usage once I did adjusted the schedule.
- Played with the thermostat a bit during the summer, but honestly didn't make enough of a difference and we went back to our preferred temperature.

Between our emergency fund and unemployment compensation, it got us to about 2 weeks before I started a new job and I had to make a small withdrawal from a taxable investment account to cover things before I started working. That was mid year. Once working again, I built up the emergency fund, delaying starting the new 401K until after the new year.
oko

Post by oko »

I agree with others: Being laid off was one of the worst experiences of my entire life. In our case, our whole remote office (of a mega corp) was shut down, all jobs being shifted to India (we, who have almost 100 years of combined experience, were kept for two more weeks to train our Indian engineer replacements). It took me 4 months to find a new job, which happened to be much closer to my dream job (took a while to understand this) since I have been working from home full time for the last 12 years.

All the managers who gave this decision up to the VP were let go in a few months after our layoff.

Despite this fact, I still think I shouldn't have been laid off and shouldn't have experienced that pain.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

#5 - No. Unless this is a mom and pop, they have a legal/compliance department that has ensured this was done in a way they cant easily be held liable for. If you fight them, they have much deeper pockets and more lawyers. Its a loosing battle.

I know this hurts, but in all my years of working at public companies... it usually goes worse. I was on the other side many times and it typically involved a 9am call for a chat with HR, and all your access to company systems and your key card was locked down before you left that room. Followed by an hour to pack before security walked you out.

Ive seen it happen both in bad times, and in supposedly "good" times if the changes made the quarterly numbers better. The company is not your friend.

Move on... start planning your next move. Take the severance, use whatever outplacement or other resources they offer and start an application of UI benefits asap.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

It's threads like this that make me very thankful to own my job. I don't think I could ever be an employee again. Your business might fail, but you'll never fire yourself unexpectedly.

It's useful to business owners to hear the perspective of someone who was just fired. You might also find it useful to hear the perspective of an owner who has had to lay people off or else have every employee lose their job. For instance, I doubt someone got "bonused" for firing you. They likely simply got to keep their job.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
anoop

Post by anoop »

1210sda wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:46 pm Moneywise,
Sorry for what you are going through.

Seen it all.
1) A company in our Group had a rah rah meeting in August. They were on the way, upward and onward. By Nov., company closed down completely.

2) I'm retired now (for 19 years). When I left MegaCorp, I told my colleagues who were still there to "look out for number one". There is no loyalty coming from the company. Do your job and do it well, but don't overdo the loyalty-for-the-company bit.

3. I had a former colleague who went to work for a well known company. After several years there he was laid off. He too was very upset. He refused to sign the severance agreement. He sued the company. Many years later, the courts ruled against him. So he lost his severance and had to pay his legal expenses. Would have been so much better off if he had taken the severance.

Good luck to you. Maybe this will motivate you to become more diligent in your retirement planning and get to retire several years earlier than you're currently planning for.
What state was the colleague in?
siriusblack

Post by siriusblack »

OP-- I agree with many others on this thread who have encouraged you to remember that this was not personal at all, not a reflection of your value or ability or past/potential contribution.

I'm in middle management in a mid-size tech company and in my experience these decisions are often made with very poor data and minimal input -- the people making the decisions are likely in survival mode, and they probably did not take the time to deeply understand each department, each employee's capabilities, etc. In other words, this probably has NOTHING to do with YOU -- someone in the company made a rush decision about what they needed to do in order to achieve financial/budget constraints and still get their job done, that's it.

So, be encouraged and don't question yourself -- put this company in the rear-view mirror and focus on yourself, your family, your health, and your career future.
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

As the suits say, never let a good crisis go to waste.

A lot of employers are considering drastic layoffs and right sizing their organization under the pretense and cover of corona virus, including companies that have been poorly run for years especially larger retailers that they think now is a good time to get rid of long term debt obligations under possible bankruptcy.

This trend will continue.