H&R Block Software - Can't E-File Due to Form 1116 Country Issue

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
pkster

H&R Block Software - Can't E-File Due to Form 1116 Country Issue

Post by pkster »

Hi All. I've run into an issue with H&R Block Deluxe 2019 software and Form 1116 that is preventing me from E-filing my return. I have more than $600 of foreign taxes reported on 1099s, so Form 1116 is required to claim the foreign tax credit. During the foreign tax credit interview section, I selected RIC from the drop-down menu for the country where the income was earned. However, when I get to the Accuracy Review at the end right before E-filing, the software says that I must fix the Form 1116 foreign country code. The form shows "Regulated " for the name of the country and "Rc" for the two-digit country code. I can clear out the country code, and then the form passes the Accuracy Review. If I do this, then the "RIC" country selection also disappears from foreign tax credit interview section. I don't think it'd be correct to file without a country on Form 1116, and in past years, TurboTax never had a problem showing "RIC" on Form 1116. Has anybody else encountered this problem, and if so, were you able to resolve it? I had been hoping that yesterday's software update would fix the problem, but it did not. Thanks in advance.
nalor511

Re: H&R Block Software - Can't E-File Due to Form 1116 Country Issue

Post by nalor511 »

pkster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 pm Hi All. I've run into an issue with H&R Block Deluxe 2019 software and Form 1116 that is preventing me from E-filing my return. I have more than $600 of foreign taxes reported on 1099s, so Form 1116 is required to claim the foreign tax credit. During the foreign tax credit interview section, I selected RIC from the drop-down menu for the country where the income was earned. However, when I get to the Accuracy Review at the end right before E-filing, the software says that I must fix the Form 1116 foreign country code. The form shows "Regulated " for the name of the country and "Rc" for the two-digit country code. I can clear out the country code, and then the form passes the Accuracy Review. If I do this, then the "RIC" country selection also disappears from foreign tax credit interview section. I don't think it'd be correct to file without a country on Form 1116, and in past years, TurboTax never had a problem showing "RIC" on Form 1116. Has anybody else encountered this problem, and if so, were you able to resolve it? I had been hoping that yesterday's software update would fix the problem, but it did not. Thanks in advance.
I probably wouldn't worry too much about filing without a country, if that's indeed what's showing on your final form. I'd certainly rather efile than print and mail, but, if it makes you more comfortable you can always print and mail with RIC if it will not let you efile.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

pkster wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:46 pm Hi All. I've run into an issue with H&R Block Deluxe 2019 software and Form 1116 that is preventing me from E-filing my return. I have more than $600 of foreign taxes reported on 1099s, so Form 1116 is required to claim the foreign tax credit. During the foreign tax credit interview section, I selected RIC from the drop-down menu for the country where the income was earned. However, when I get to the Accuracy Review at the end right before E-filing, the software says that I must fix the Form 1116 foreign country code. The form shows "Regulated " for the name of the country and "Rc" for the two-digit country code. I can clear out the country code, and then the form passes the Accuracy Review. If I do this, then the "RIC" country selection also disappears from foreign tax credit interview section. I don't think it'd be correct to file without a country on Form 1116, and in past years, TurboTax never had a problem showing "RIC" on Form 1116. Has anybody else encountered this problem, and if so, were you able to resolve it? I had been hoping that yesterday's software update would fix the problem, but it did not. Thanks in advance.
Have you contacted HRB to report the software bug?

TurboTax is the leader for a reason.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

FWIW I have same issue and intend to e-file. I haven’t reported it.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

HueyLD wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:47 pm
Have you contacted HRB to report the software bug?

TurboTax is the leader for a reason.
TT has its own issues, no software is perfect, and they all lack in some regard. This is a pretty minor one, IMO. They're going to see the FT number on your 1099, and see that it matches the total on 1116.
Topic Author
pkster

Post by pkster »

Thanks to all who replied. Just a follow-up. I contacted H&R Block through their on-line chat, and it was a horrible experience and a complete waste of time. All the representative could do was tell me to update my software. I explained that it's already updated to the current version. The representative then just abruptly ended the chat session. I guess it's back to TurboTax next year for me.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

pkster wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:14 pm Thanks to all who replied. Just a follow-up. I contacted H&R Block through their on-line chat, and it was a horrible experience and a complete waste of time. All the representative could do was tell me to update my software. I explained that it's already updated to the current version. The representative then just abruptly ended the chat session. I guess it's back to TurboTax next year for me.
TT has issues too, they all do, but this one seems pretty easily worked around. Paper file with the entry you want, or efile with it blank. You can even switch to TT this year, if that's the way you want to go. They're all making money either way. TT just bought credit karma too.
blockhead

Post by blockhead »

I used H&R Block for 2018 taxes and H&R Block did not give me any credit for $950 Foreign Tax Paid, nor did it raise a flag to tell me that something was amiss! To add salt to the injury,H&R Block calculated a penalty for taxes underpaid which would have been far less or non-existent had H&R Block given me proper credit for Foreign Taxes Paid. I will file an amended return for 2018 and try to get some money back from Uncle Sam.
I am now working on 2020 Taxes using H&R Block. Having learnt my lesson last year, I checked Form 1116 carefully. And yes, RIC from H&R Block's own dropdown menu appears as Rc on their digital Form 1116. I tried hand-correcting that to RIC and found it cannot be done because there are only two spaces there. This has to be a bug in H&R Block's software. One that has apparently existed from 2016 onwards to judge from various forum entries. I can understand errors created by software. I cannot understand a refusal to put them right as H&R Block has apparently done for four years now. This is my last year with H&R Block. I will give TurboTax a try and hopefully will find them more responsive to customers needs!
EdNorton

Post by EdNorton »

blockhead wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:25 pm I used H&R Block for 2018 taxes and H&R Block did not give me any credit for $950 Foreign Tax Paid, nor did it raise a flag to tell me that something was amiss! To add salt to the injury,H&R Block calculated a penalty for taxes underpaid which would have been far less or non-existent had H&R Block given me proper credit for Foreign Taxes Paid. I will file an amended return for 2018 and try to get some money back from Uncle Sam.
I am now working on 2020 Taxes using H&R Block. Having learnt my lesson last year, I checked Form 1116 carefully. And yes, RIC from H&R Block's own dropdown menu appears as Rc on their digital Form 1116. I tried hand-correcting that to RIC and found it cannot be done because there are only two spaces there. This has to be a bug in H&R Block's software. One that has apparently existed from 2016 onwards to judge from various forum entries. I can understand errors created by software. I cannot understand a refusal to put them right as H&R Block has apparently done for four years now. This is my last year with H&R Block. I will give TurboTax a try and hopefully will find them more responsive to customers needs!
Blockhead, appropriate name. I had no problem with the foreign tax credit using H&R block. You must have not entered it correctly. You are a go getter, working on your 2020 taxes already. :sharebeer
Outside a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho
blockhead

Post by blockhead »

I meant 2019 taxes!
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

blockhead wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:10 pm I meant 2019 taxes!
HRB calculated my 2019 credit just fine on form 1116. Also for 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015...

Glad to hear you caught it, numbers and form entries should always be checked.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I had a similar situation where H&R Block put n/a on Form 1116 (I think that was a drop-down choice). I got a warning that the slash was invalid. I overrode it to “various” instead and it accept my return. My refund just got paid out Friday so I think I am good.
gr8place

Post by gr8place »

I had the same issue, replacing Rc with Ri (on the 1116 form directly) worked for me.
Topic Author
pkster

Post by pkster »

gr8place wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 pm I had the same issue, replacing Rc with Ri (on the 1116 form directly) worked for me.
gr8place, I tried changing the two-digit country code from "Rc" to "Ri" on the Form 1116, but then the country changed from "Regulated" to "Serbia".
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Before I started my taxes this year, I had both H&R Block deluxe and Turbo Tax Premier this year. The only difference was between how Form 1116 was filed out. After studying the numbers for a while I ended up believing the Turbo Tax. I struggled and gave up trying to get the numbers to work in H&R Block.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

pkster wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:54 pm
gr8place wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:10 pm I had the same issue, replacing Rc with Ri (on the 1116 form directly) worked for me.
gr8place, I tried changing the two-digit country code from "Rc" to "Ri" on the Form 1116, but then the country changed from "Regulated" to "Serbia".
You can change the country if you do it through the interview, changing on the form directly doesn't quite work. Or you can clear it entirely, to blank. Either of those two ways will let you efile.
SciurusVulgaris

Post by SciurusVulgaris »

I also saw both the Ric and N/A problems with H&R Block. The workarounds seemed to have worked, with the tax computed matching TT.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

As I mentioned in another thread, H&R does not have form 8911, needed to file for credit for installing electric vehicle charging equipment. It turns out they haven't had that form forever, really inexcusable on their part. I will reluctantly return to TurboTax, after a three-year hiatus.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
simas

Post by simas »

They fixed the issue in the update that was released early March

I had the same issue, talked to support (uploaded my return through the program itself for support review), they mentioned "IRS changed the rule on that field not being required , it would be in March update". I installed updated, went through 'data quality review upon file', successfully e-filed, and today got the refund already.

update your program, remove "RC" during data review phase.
Topic Author
pkster

Post by pkster »

simas wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:25 am They fixed the issue in the update that was released early March

I had the same issue, talked to support (uploaded my return through the program itself for support review), they mentioned "IRS changed the rule on that field not being required , it would be in March update". I installed updated, went through 'data quality review upon file', successfully e-filed, and today got the refund already.

update your program, remove "RC" during data review phase.
This bug has been fixed in the program update released today. No issues were flagged for me during the Accuracy Review, and I successfully e-filed with the two-digit "Rc" country code on Form 1116.
jaj2276

Post by jaj2276 »

This bug is back in the 2020 version. Really sloppy work on their part. Simply removed the RC (which also removed the Regulated County field above it) worked. I did try to change it to RI as suggested earlier in the thread but that changed the country name to Serbia. I figured blank on both was better than Serbia/Ri.