FreeFillable Forms Missing Form 8889

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
OnAwingAndaPrayer

FreeFillable Forms Missing Form 8889

Post by OnAwingAndaPrayer »

Just noticed that Form 8889 (HSA form), shows "TBD" and is not available to add / attach to the 1040 for online filing of taxes. Not sure if the form will be added to the drop down menu at a later time or if I will have to print the form an snail mail the tax return to the IRS. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks!
Katietsu

Re: FreeFillable Forms Missing Form 8889

Post by Katietsu »

OnAwingAndaPrayer wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:55 pm Just noticed that Form 8889 (HSA form), shows "TBD" and is not available to add / attach to the 1040 for online filing of taxes. Not sure if the form will be added to the drop down menu at a later time or if I will have to print the form an snail mail the tax return to the IRS. Anyone know the answer?

Thanks!
Form 8889 is a valid form for efiling through Free Fillable Forms. The form is not yet finalized regardless of whether you wish to print or efile. Since it is TBD there is no announced release date yet.
Topic Author
OnAwingAndaPrayer

Post by OnAwingAndaPrayer »

Thanks for clarifying. I've used FreeFillable forms for many years and like using it.
miketheboglehead

Post by miketheboglehead »

Does this mean that anyone needing 8889 for a filing cannot file for 2019 yet?

Just ran into this same issue and found this recent thread.

On irs.gov the following:

"Caution: The form, instruction, or publication you are looking for begins on the next page. But first see the important information below.

This form, instruction, or publication is being revised to reflect legislation enacted December 20, 2019. The updated revision will be posted here as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience. The most recently issued final revision begins on the next page, but, again, is currently being updated. "
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

miketheboglehead wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:20 pm Does this mean that anyone needing 8889 for a filing cannot file for 2019 yet?

Just ran into this same issue and found this recent thread.

On irs.gov the following:

"Caution: The form, instruction, or publication you are looking for begins on the next page. But first see the important information below.

This form, instruction, or publication is being revised to reflect legislation enacted December 20, 2019. The updated revision will be posted here as soon as possible. We apologize for the delay and inconvenience. The most recently issued final revision begins on the next page, but, again, is currently being updated. "
Yes. If you need one of the many forms that are not yet finalized, you can not file yet. Every year there are some forms that are not available at the start of the filing season. However, there are many more people affected in years when our legislators choose to make new retroactive tax laws in December or even January.
miketheboglehead

Post by miketheboglehead »

Thanks Katietsu. I took a look at the draft form and don't see any groundbreaking changes on 8889. My goal of filing FFF's before the big game tomorrow has been stymied. :oops:
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

With late season legislation, they typically take a while to release all the publications and forms. Pub 17, "the Bible" to most preparers, has not been released. I find most stuff has been released by the end of February though.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Johnny Thinwallet

Post by Johnny Thinwallet »

Count me as one also waiting on Form 8889, and I also Free Fillable Forms. I've completed as much as I can in the system and I'm just in a holding period now. At least when 8889 becomes available it should be a breeze to pick up where I left off and get them submitted.

We're only expecting a very small refund, but I always try to file as early as possible in an effort to thwart potential tax identify theft so this delay is a bit frustrating.
KC123

Post by KC123 »

Yes there are always a few late forms at FFFF. The 8606 Non-Ded IRA and 8960 Net Invest Income are often delayed. The 8889 will impact a larger percentage of filers, maybe this will help resolve the delay.

This year 8606 was just released on 02/14 but both the others are TBD. Generally, late Feb is the best you can hope for with FFFF if you need any of these forms.

The often cited late IRS tax code changes argument is weak to me:
The PDF of these forms are available.
There are usually no significant changes to the form to justify the delay.
They are available in commercial tax prep software such as Intuit.
Intuit is one of the vendors that provides the FFFF service to the IRS.

Of course using the commercial tax prep vendors to provide the FFFF service does not exactly produce any incentive to the vendors to provide fast service. They rather you use Turbotax and collect a much larger fee than whatever the IRS is paying per return. Wish they would have to release the forms to FFFF at the same time as they release it in their own software. That would keep them from creating any artificial delays.
Black.Jeep

Post by Black.Jeep »

Does anyone have an idea of when this form will be available? H&R Block told me that it has been issued.
Cubicle

Post by Cubicle »

Black.Jeep wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:53 am Does anyone have an idea of when this form will be available? H&R Block told me that it has been issued.
https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/li ... able-forms

"To Be Determined"
"Oh look another bajillion point declin-Ooooh!!! A coupon for pizza!!!!" <--- This is what everyone's IPS should be. ✓✓✓
jmnbqb

Post by jmnbqb »

FYI, the IRS updated their website to show an available date of 2/28/2020 for Form 8889.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I submitted my return without Form 8889 and it was accepted and I got the refund. I plan on printing the form and mailing it with 1040x now.

What would happen if someone does not file Form 8889? If there is no change in dollar amount owed. What can the IRS do?
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

jmnbqb wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:48 am FYI, the IRS updated their website to show an available date of 2/28/2020 for Form 8889.
They updated it again today to available 2/21.
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

Because of the threat of identity theft and someone filing a bogus return, I have always filed early. But this year there are several forms (8889 and others) that free-file-fillable-forms can't handle yet, though printed copies are easily available. With the "identity-protection-PIN" from IRS (both my wife and I have IPPINs) its not clear that filing early is as important as it was.

So how to others see this tradeoff -- file early on paper, or wait until (maybe) mid-March to file online?

Update 2/21: 8889 is now available, as is 8960. Now just waiting for 8995A (and wondering if those 199A dividends from Vanguard's Total market Index Fund are worth waiting for the form to get the 20% deduction).
Last edited by Bill M on Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
petercooperjr

Post by petercooperjr »

LazyNihilist wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm I submitted my return without Form 8889 and it was accepted and I got the refund. I plan on printing the form and mailing it with 1040x now.

What would happen if someone does not file Form 8889? If there is no change in dollar amount owed. What can the IRS do?
My guess is that without a 8889 they'd assume that all money reported on a 1099-SA was spent on stuff other than qualified medical expenses. I think the main point of the form (in the usual case where contributions are under the limit and distributions were spent on qualified medical expenses) is mostly just to have the statement signed by you under penalty of perjury that you followed the rules for it to be tax-free, even though it's constructed around the idea of finding out how much in penalties you owe if you didn't.

So I expect if you didn't complete it, they'd send you a bill for the amount of tax you'd owe if all the distributions weren't qualified, which you'd then need to counter with the completed form that you're saying they were qualified (and perhaps more documentation of such) if you didn't want to pay it. That's just my guess, though, and it may be that they wouldn't spend much effort on it if that's the only problem they see with the return.
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

petercooperjr wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:14 pm
LazyNihilist wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:08 pm I submitted my return without Form 8889 and it was accepted and I got the refund. I plan on printing the form and mailing it with 1040x now.

My guess is that without a 8889 they'd assume that all money reported on a 1099-SA was spent on stuff other than qualified medical expenses. I think the main point of the form (in the usual case where contributions are under the limit and distributions were spent on qualified medical expenses) is mostly just to have the statement signed by you under penalty of perjury that you followed the rules for it to be tax-free, even though it's constructed around the idea of finding out how much in penalties you owe if you didn't.

So I expect if you didn't complete it, they'd send you a bill for the amount of tax you'd owe if all the distributions weren't qualified, which you'd then need to counter with the completed form that you're saying they were qualified (and perhaps more documentation of such) if you didn't want to pay it. That's just my guess, though, and it may be that they wouldn't spend much effort on it if that's the only problem they see with the return.
Thanks for the info. I printed and mailed 8889 with 1040x.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
petercooperjr

Post by petercooperjr »

And Form 8889 is now available. I finally filed this morning.