Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Xrayman69

Re: Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Post by Xrayman69 »

dollar_elbow wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm
lakpr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 pm
dollar_elbow wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm I'm not sure why you are overly concerned about the privacy of touch id and the wallet app specifically;
I had answered it up-thread ...
I see that some of the larger credit card companies are rolling out contactless credit cards. These use essentially the same NFC technology as Apple Pay but it is built into the cards. A few of my cards are contactless and they are just as easy to use (tap and go). You could always wait until your card is upgraded and then there is no need to worry about biometrics.
If you lose the physical card can another individual pick it up and use it? I don’t have a contactless credit card.
clammyhands

Post by clammyhands »

I'd love to use it, however there's really no benefit to using Apply Pay for me. As long as there are still a significant number of places that don't accept it, I'll be carrying around credit cards. I hold my credit cards in a case attached to my phone, so it's not much less convenient to pay with a physical card vs. my iPhone/Apple Watch. Therefore there is also no benefit to the Apple credit card as the cash back benefit is not that great and only on par with the best cash back credit cards when you use Apple Pay (2%).

I probably have 30+ credit cards and I choose to carry the best 3 to 5 every quarter based on revolving categories and maximizing cash back. I was hugely on board with solutions like Plastc and Coin, but unfortunately they never panned out. I wish Apple Pay would gain 100% penetration, but I never see that happening. Especially with restaurants and gas stations.
clammyhands

Post by clammyhands »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:48 pm
H-Town wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:49 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm Since I get 4.5% cash back with a real credit card using Apple Pay I try to use it all the time. I laugh when I see people all excited about getting 2% with Apple credit card.
Do tell more. 4.5%?
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/al ... -card.html

You have to be a pretty big spender for that card to be better than a 2% cash back card + 5% cards with revolving quarterly categories with no annual fees. I'd find it hard to spend that much total let alone spending that much using Apple Pay (which isn't accepted at so many places).
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

clammyhands wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:25 am
Jags4186 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:50 pm Since I get 4.5% cash back with a real credit card using Apple Pay I try to use it all the time. I laugh when I see people all excited about getting 2% with Apple credit card.
Do tell more. 4.5%?

You have to be a pretty big spender for that card to be better than a 2% cash back card + 5% cards with revolving quarterly categories with no annual fees. I'd find it hard to spend that much total let alone spending that much using Apple Pay (which isn't accepted at so many places).
I read the offer from the link that Jags4186 provided. If you travel, that card offers a very good deal. Although it has $400 AF, you'll get $325 credits back for travelling purchases. So essentially it's $75 AF for other attractive benefits.

If I'm not tied to Chase UR world, I would definite consider this Altitude card. I think Chase has a better offer with the ability to transfer Chase UR points from Chase Freedom (5% rotating) and Chase Freedom unlimited.
Time is the ultimate currency.
clammyhands

Post by clammyhands »

H-Town wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:46 am
Do tell more. 4.5%?

I read the offer from the link that Jags4186 provided. If you travel, that card offers a very good deal. Although it has $400 AF, you'll get $325 credits back for travelling purchases. So essentially it's $75 AF for other attractive benefits.

If I'm not tied to Chase UR world, I would definite consider this Altitude card. I think Chase has a better offer with the ability to transfer Chase UR points from Chase Freedom (5% rotating) and Chase Freedom unlimited.
Oh ok. Got it. That certainly makes it more attractive. I myself wouldn't bet on being able to use Apple Pay enough.
dollar_elbow

Post by dollar_elbow »

Xrayman69 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:13 am
dollar_elbow wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:57 pm
lakpr wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:23 pm
dollar_elbow wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:18 pm I'm not sure why you are overly concerned about the privacy of touch id and the wallet app specifically;
I had answered it up-thread ...
I see that some of the larger credit card companies are rolling out contactless credit cards. These use essentially the same NFC technology as Apple Pay but it is built into the cards. A few of my cards are contactless and they are just as easy to use (tap and go). You could always wait until your card is upgraded and then there is no need to worry about biometrics.
If you lose the physical card can another individual pick it up and use it? I don’t have a contactless credit card.
Yes, anyone could use it; however, this is also true of any card with a chip that can be just inserted into a chip reader to make a payment. The US should adopt chip and pin (as in Europe and other places) rather than chip and signature for cards, but this a issue for the whole banking system to sort out. Since credit cards usually have fraud protection, it’s usually not that much of a hassle if a card is lost though.

Some places (especially stores in the UK) limit the amount that can be spent when using a contactless card as a protection against loss of the card. I guess it’s about deciding what the trade off between ease of use and security should be.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

clammyhands wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:17 am
H-Town wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:46 am

Do tell more. 4.5%?

Oh ok. Got it. That certainly makes it more attractive. I myself wouldn't bet on being able to use Apple Pay enough.
$3000. You need to spend $3000 on Apple Pay purchases to break even with the $75 AF vs a 2% card. Not very difficult IMO.

I pay my mortgage with Apple Pay. 3.5% fee so I make 1% CB on my mortgage plus ~50 days float on the money.

Additionally US Bank hands out 5000, 10000, even 15000 pt retention offers.
flah

Post by flah »

For whatever reason, maybe because of low card activity on an old card, Citi is offering a $20 statement credit for spending $60 on it using Apple Pay.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

furwut wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm
lakpr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm @dollar_elbow,

Count me as a newbie on the intricacies of using Apple Pay. What happens if I disable Touch ID or Face ID on the Apple iPhone? I am a bit privacy obsessed that I don’t want to unlock the iPhone with my finger print or face image /store them in the phone. I prefer and use either a passcode or a pass phrase to unlock and use the phone. Does this mean I can’t use Apple Pay?

I am curious and willing to give it a try but would NOT at the condition of having to enable Touch ID or Face ID
Biometric ID is required for Apple Pay.
Are you sure that's correct? I sometimes use a passcode when FaceID is acting up. According to this Apple support document, it is not required:
In addition, to use Apple Pay, you must have a passcode set on your device and, optionally, Face ID or Touch ID. You can use a simple passcode, or you can set a more complex passcode for even greater security.
(emphasis mine)

@lakpr: it is pretty easy to add / remove a credit card. why not give it a try and see if it works without Face ID / Touch ID? You can always remove the card again.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I find very funny the concerns with Apple Pay security when it obviously so much more secure that normal credit card use.

A system where you give your CC to various people (usually underpaid) and they take it in another room it is obviously very insecure. With Apple pay nobody can copy your credit card because nobody sees it.
It's based on biometric ID or at least a 6 digit code instead of scribbling something on a paper. It sounds unbelievably stupid but your signature is on your CC (I don't sign my cards but theoretically is necessary)! It's about as smart as writing your PIN on your credit cards.
Most cards nowadays even in US already have con tactless technology (NFC) in them. It's been around for more than a decade. Even my metal Chase Sapphire Reserve is contactless. Except it does not require my print or face.
navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 »

newpup wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:45 pm Love Apple Pay and use it whenever possible. It's incredibly convenient on the watch. My wife said last night she is a huge fan because she doesn't have to haul out her purse and get out her wallet, remove credit card, wait for transaction, return credit card to wallet, return wallet to purse. Quick click on the watch and you're out! :D
Wow first world problems. Have we really come to a society where taking a wallet out is such an ordeal that it requires tech?

Not trying to be snarky here, but every swipe is transaction data you're spoon feeding to Apple and whomever they share it with to market things to you. How much data privacy are we as consumers willing to give up for a near insignificant convenience?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

navyasw02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:34 am
newpup wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:45 pm Love Apple Pay and use it whenever possible. It's incredibly convenient on the watch. My wife said last night she is a huge fan because she doesn't have to haul out her purse and get out her wallet, remove credit card, wait for transaction, return credit card to wallet, return wallet to purse. Quick click on the watch and you're out! :D
Wow first world problems. Have we really come to a society where taking a wallet out is such an ordeal that it requires tech?
Yes we have. People twist themselves in pretzels trying to justify needing the newest tech. I see the possible increased security benefits, but "convenience"? See the mention of paying with the Apple watch, something else that is "convenient" in a way that makes no sense to me.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Not trying to be snarky here, but every swipe is transaction data you're spoon feeding to Apple and whomever they share it with to market things to you. How much data privacy are we as consumers willing to give up for a near insignificant convenience?
Why wouldn’t I want more personalized and appropriate marketing?

Not seeing why this is a negative
navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 »

rage_phish wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 am

Ok try googling what people and companies do with your data. If you still feel that way after getting more informed post your address and your schedule and leave your door unlocked, all your money on the table under your social security number and a copy of your medical records. While you're at it, leave your voter registration information as well and do the same for everyone you know. Let us all know how youre doing in 10 years. Or don't, we will already know.

Edit: if you think marketing is harmless start with this article.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmirhil ... ather-did/

Couple that with now the company that built a portable computer with GPS that knows your continuous location and contacts and they now know every time stamp and item you purchase and where. Add the Apple card and now they have access to your complete financial profile. Now they know your mortgage, car loans, medical bills, student loan payments, etc. See where this is going?

Companies don't sell to you anymore, they sell you. Big data and analysis is everything. You think Google developed their quantum computing processor for academic interests?
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

I’d venture a guess that your CC provider collects way more information about your shopping habits than Apple does through Apple Pay. A lot of of the comments here about Apple Pay are by people who don’t understand what it is or how it works.
HEDGEFUNDIE

Post by HEDGEFUNDIE »

navyasw02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:11 am

Ok try googling what people and companies do with your data. If you still feel that way after getting more informed post your address and your schedule and leave your door unlocked, all your money on the table under your social security number and a copy of your medical records. While you're at it, leave your voter registration information as well and do the same for everyone you know. Let us all know how youre doing in 10 years. Or don't, we will already know.

Couple that with now the company that built a portable computer with GPS that knows your continuous location and contacts and they now know every time stamp and item you purchase and where. Add the Apple card and now they have access to your complete financial profile. Now they know your mortgage, car loans, medical bills, student loan payments, etc. See where this is going?

Companies don't sell to you anymore, they sell you. Big data and analysis is everything. You think Google developed their quantum computing processor for academic interests?
What kind of data do you think Visa has on you, and who do you think they sell it to?
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Lol

Moving the goal posts a bit aren’t we?
Chuck5781

Post by Chuck5781 »

As to convenience, I think Apple Pay is superb. In fact I wish every person who is in line in front of me could simply tap their watch or phone and pay, and move along (out of my way). I cringe when I see someone fishing thru their massive handbag and pull out a checkbook. Or attempt to count currency and coins to an exact amount. Or watch a young cashier count out change.

For the sake of my personal convenience, and those of us in line everywhere, please adopt contactless pay with your phone!
Be very careful if you think information makes you wise.
navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 »

rage_phish wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:56 am

Lol

Moving the goal posts a bit aren’t we?
As others have commented maybe the info is already out there, but my bottom line which I think got lost in transmission was are you willing to peel back another layer of privacy to save a few seconds at the checkout line?
hudson

Post by hudson »

I had stopped using Apple Pay because after an update, it was too much trouble. After reading this discussion, I went into the settings and fixed my problem. I went to the food store; as soon as the cashier started ringing me up, I clicked a side button on my iPhone twice. Instantly the terminal took my "card"; I was done. The cashier hadn't even finished. Something's happened; Apple Pay works much faster than it used to.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

navyasw02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:16 pm As others have commented maybe the info is already out there, but my bottom line which I think got lost in transmission was are you willing to peel back another layer of privacy to save a few seconds at the checkout line?
As has been previously mentioned, Apple Pay is more secure than using your credit card. Not sure why folks keep returning to this incorrect point.
navyasw02

Post by navyasw02 »

bluebolt wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:52 pm
navyasw02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:16 pm As others have commented maybe the info is already out there, but my bottom line which I think got lost in transmission was are you willing to peel back another layer of privacy to save a few seconds at the checkout line?
As has been previously mentioned, Apple Pay is more secure than using your credit card. Not sure why folks keep returning to this incorrect point.
Again I'm not talking about security of your card number, I'm talking about release of private data to big companies.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Agreed. It is clearly more secure than using a credit card. If someone steals your credit card, then will be able to use it until you report it. If someone steals your phone, then they will only be able to pay with it if they have your password, face or fingerprint.

Privacy seems the same for all practical purposes. Obviously the credit card companies (both issuing bank and Visa, MC, or Amex) have access to the data.
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

mnsportsgeek wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 pm [quote=anoop post_id=4818455 time=<a href="tel:1572566511">1572566511</a> user_id=51932]
[quote=LetItRide post_id=4818432 time=<a href="tel:1572566025">1572566025</a> user_id=60965]
I use both Apple Pay and Google Pay (depending on which phone I have). Like others have mentioned, Kroger and Walmart do not take them but I assume if enough people use Apple/Google they will cave. It would be great if everyone took them as it would that I would no longer need to keep any credits cards in my wallet!
What if your phone died or broke?
[/quote]

Buy a new one?
[/quote]

Mine is backed up and insured. Restore a backup and you’re in business. Apple’s pay system is based on privacy, efficiency, and security. I still carry cards, but don’t use them unless I have to. I was a hold-out on ApplePay until I got my Apple Card and started using it for that and other cards. So easy, even a caveman...
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Some people are confused:

There is Apple Pay, which you can use at credit card terminals that support NFC. Not all terminals support NFC, but it is increasing. Notable holdouts include Walmart.

There is Apple Pay on the web, which is used to input your credit card details online. So you don’t need to manually input your data at a retailer’s website. Just authenticate and all your credit card numbers and shipping and billing address are automatically inputted. Easier than manual input of data and maybe some data hidden from the retailer.

There is Apple Card, which is a credit card from Goldman Sachs and Apple. Not required to use, but does have some added benefits.

Yes, you can switch between credit cards when authenticating.

There is also Apple Cash, which is a whole other story.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

navyasw02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm
Again I'm not talking about security of your card number, I'm talking about release of private data to big companies.
And do you think Apple Pay makes that problem worse? If so, why do you think that?
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Let's see:
1. taking a wallet out and spending a minute or 2 a day, every day, in front of the terminal, adds up to ~20 days of my life (16h/day) waiting in front of terminals. Most people in US don't have more than that in vacation time for 2 years. 2 years of life!
2. It's not as much taking the wallet out as carrying a wallet. Especially when I travel, I don't want to have wallet, phone, keys to watch for.
3. Apple have never marketed anything to me. You are free to give an example.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

navyasw02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm
Big companies like Walmart, target, visa, MasterCard etc?
I trust apple a lot more than these.
Dan-in-Virginia

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

If Apple is building its ApplePay payment processing platform foundation (for web or point of sale) on security and privacy, unlike Google, Amazon, PayPal, Samsung, Visa/MC, and others (which support security, but not privacy), then I’m onboard. Apple has the bucks to build this system without monetizing your data and either using it or reselling it.

Apple Card and Apple Cash are separate issues. Nice to have if you want them, but differentiated from the payment platform.
framus

Post by framus »

I've been using the Apple Card primarily via my iPhone's Wallet.
It has been convenient. Signing up for the card was a seamless and very quick process.
The cash back timeliness is a good feature.
I'm ok with the 'rewards' percentages.

However:
The only way to download useage information for the Apple card is by month in the form of a .pdf file.
This is un-competitive with my bank credit card where I can get transaction data downloaded as a .csv file
and access other report functions.

Today I assigned my bank credit card as my default card in my wallet.

If (ever) Apple provides features that allow users access usage data in a file format that allow analysis
I'll think again about using the Apple card
-Framus
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

I tried it at a local liquor store because I got gas and left wallet in car, and the CC got hacked so didn't use it again. Same thing happened this weekend but now at shoprite so I used apple pay there. Hoping it wont get my CC hacked again, on the bright side this quarter on chase freedom, apple pay is the 5% category, but I am worried about getting hacked again.

Also had my CC hacked using mobile ordering with Wendy's these companies need to beef up their security...
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm I tried it at a local liquor store because I got gas and left wallet in car, and the CC got hacked so didn't use it again. Same thing happened this weekend but now at shoprite so I used apple pay there. Hoping it wont get my CC hacked again, on the bright side this quarter on chase freedom, apple pay is the 5% category, but I am worried about getting hacked again.

Also had my CC hacked using mobile ordering with Wendy's these companies need to beef up their security...
Chase Freedom doesn't have 5% bonus for Apple Pay this quarter. It's for Chase Pay. Just don't want you to get a oh crap moment later.
Time is the ultimate currency.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

sambb wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:14 pm apple stuff is amazing
It used to be. Now I can't get many things to work. My wife's contacts show up on my phone. My texts show up on my kid's ipad. I have a family plan with individual IDs. Then have to go to the apple store where the "geniuses" are no help.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

H-Town wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:38 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm I tried it at a local liquor store because I got gas and left wallet in car, and the CC got hacked so didn't use it again. Same thing happened this weekend but now at shoprite so I used apple pay there. Hoping it wont get my CC hacked again, on the bright side this quarter on chase freedom, apple pay is the 5% category, but I am worried about getting hacked again.

Chase Freedom doesn't have 5% bonus for Apple Pay this quarter. It's for Chase Pay. Just don't want you to get a oh crap moment later.
WTH is chase pay???? Thanks for the heads up
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

toofache32 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:10 pm
It used to be. Now I can't get many things to work. My wife's contacts show up on my phone. My texts show up on my kid's ipad. I have a family plan with individual IDs. Then have to go to the apple store where the "geniuses" are no help.
Give support a call.

https://support.apple.com/contact
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

CyclingDuo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 pm
Give support a call.

I did. They recommended I go to the genius bar. :oops:
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

What does “family plan” mean to you? Sharing iCloud storage space or apps/iTunes purchases? Those can be shared among unique Apple IDs but your data (email, contacts, bookmarks, etc, etc.) needs your unique ID to work and sync properly.

I’d bet money that you have your Apple IDs shared in some strange way among several devices. If your problem was in any way common to Apple users, alarms would be sounding all over the web. It would be a security and usability nightmare of epic proportions.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

3-20Characters wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 pm
What does “family plan” mean to you? Sharing iCloud storage space or apps/iTunes purchases? Those can be shared among unique Apple IDs but your data (email, contacts, bookmarks, etc, etc.) needs your unique ID to work and sync properly.

I’d bet money that you have your Apple IDs shared in some strange way among several devices. If your problem was in any way common to Apple users, alarms would be sounding all over the web. It would be a security and usability nightmare of epic proportions.
Maybe so. I have no idea. I understood the family plan to be a way we can all use apps and songs without having to buy them again, and only get one bill instead of 4. This is exactly what I mean how apple stuff has gotten too complex for me to figure out. Or at least spend time figuring it out. God I sound like my dad. Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread and don't want to get ladygeek'd.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

toofache32 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:17 pm
CyclingDuo wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 pm
Give support a call.

I did. They recommended I go to the genius bar. :oops:
Did you have all of the devices with you at the time (wife's phone, kid's iPad) when you had your appointment? How criss crossed are your Apple ID's, iTunes account, iCloud history within your family? Was there a time you and your wife shared an Apple ID? Did you ever use your wife's Apple ID for something on your iPhone or she yours? Was there every any criss crossed iTunes backups on your computer with your iPhones? Did your wife use your phone prior to you using it? Or vice versa? Did you log into your phone, a laptop, iMac, or iPad accidentally using her Apple ID and when logging back out click on "save all contacts"? When signing back in with your account, did you click on "merge contacts" when asked? Or the opposite - did she ever do that? Do you and your wife also use Gmail? What about your Google accounts history with user ID's there and sharing of contacts? The troubleshooting should uncover it all as either through Google or the iCloud, there is or was syncing going on. You may have to manually fix it (delete each of her contacts on your phone).

Curious as to why it was not solved, or what was said or recommended via support (phone or the in person live technical appointment at the location where you took your devices).

Been geeking out on Mac stuff since 1985, so have pretty much seen it all here in my household with our family and troubleshooting Apple ID, iCloud, iMessage, texts, iTunes, App Store, family sharing, etc... .
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter »

I've been an Apple fangirl (and shareholder) for decades, but have yet to use Apple Pay. I do expect to start using it soon for holiday shopping, because it offers another layer of protection.

I also plan to get an Apple Card at some point, especially before I make another hefty Apple purchase. But I was rather annoyed about the gender bias exposure.

Apple forces people to do things their way. For the most part, their way has been forward thinking.
Fclevz

Post by Fclevz »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:12 pm I tried it at a local liquor store because I got gas and left wallet in car, and the CC got hacked so didn't use it again.
Security is one reason you should use Apple Pay.
When you make a purchase using Apple Pay, it uses a unique transaction code. Your actual card numbers are never shared with merchants. So you must have gotten hacked some other way.
NYCwriter

Post by NYCwriter »

The one I'd had stolen not long ago was used regularly online for a few years, and also for local stores. I requested a cc number change for all major ccs at that point.

I also have text alerts set up. I strongly recommend this, if one has a smartphone and gets texts. I receive alerts for every cc purchase made, and I was able to lock a card via text immediately after the most recent one just from my Apple Watch.
Trism

Post by Trism »

RJC wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 pm
Super Hans wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:58 pm Apple Pay seemed mostly like a silly gimmick to me, but I use it whenever possible to get 4,5% back with US Bank's Altitude Reserve Visa. Along the way, I discovered Apple Pay (or contactless) is much better than swipe or chip cards outside the United States. It's almost universally accepted and avoids the POS terminals asking for a signature.
5% back on everything?
4.5% back on all Apple Pay (and other mobile wallet) purchases toward travel booked through the US Bank portal.

Many here will consider that "jumping through hoops," but we travel a lot, so it's no big deal for us (and their travel portal offers a good selection of options, unlike some travel rewards portals out there.).

The card has a $400 annual fee, which is more than offset by a $325 travel credit that can be used for almost any travel expense, and 12 free Gogo WiFi flight passes ("MORE HOOPS!!!!"). For me, the annual fee is actually a negative dollar amount.

I'm a traveler and a hoop jumper, and as a result this is one of my favorite cards.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Don't use a passcode, so not an option for me.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

theplayer11 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 am Don't use a passcode, so not an option for me.
Do you leave the front door of your house unlocked as well? :mrgreen:
TCB

Post by TCB »

I don’t have an exact solution but I wanted you to know, you’re not alone and you’re not an idiot.

This happened to me. Wife & I kept getting texts meant for our kids-wife got my business texts, vice/versa, etc. it was a nightmare couple days of fiddling with settings on 4 phones/googling/calling, etc. I felt like my 86 year old father with the remote control.

To this day I’m not 100% sure why it works but I did all these steps and some combo fixed it:

getting individual Apple IDs
disabling iMessage
disabling iCloud for contacts & messaging
Getting individual Gmail
adding Gmail to “passwords and accounts” and syncing contacts to each Gmail
changing “reachable at” number on each phone for each individual Apple ID to each individual phone #. (‘reachable at’ is in settings, then your name (at top), then name/phone #s/mail)

Getting back to thread (sorry), I’ve just started using Apple Pay because of this thread and I like it. For the most part it’s more efficient.
Im still working out the mechanics of choose payment/hold the phone/push TouchID as sometimes TouchID likes me, sometimes not. There are worse problems in life.

As mentioned, it’d be nice if everyone took Apple Pay.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

CyclingDuo wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:25 am
theplayer11 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:42 am Don't use a passcode, so not an option for me.
Do you leave the front door of your house unlocked as well? :mrgreen:
actually yes, and keys in my car.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

sf_tech_saver wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:38 pm GET ONE. LOVE IT. NOTHING TO LOG INTO, DAILY CASHBACK. ONE CLICK ACTIVATION. IF YOU HAVE AN IPHONE ITS THE BEST.

:)

PS. I worked on some of the software behind it so I'm somewhat biased but I now use it for everything I can. It's the future
PSS: be SURE to add the AppleCard to it. It's issued by Goldman Marcus, a friendly brand to Bogleheads everywhere.
FINALLY pulled the trigger. I have used Apple Pay for years. Love it. Faster and much more secure. A week ago signed up for Apple Credit Card. No fees. Better rewards. Instant notification of all purchases.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
RJC

Post by RJC »

Skeeter1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:35 pm Just curious about if anyone uses Apple Pay and has any pros or cons. I was just with a friend and they had an Apple Pay credit card. It was very unique because the card had his name but no other identification info. It did not have his account number nor expiration date nor security code. We split a bill and his worked perfectly.
I liked the lack of personal info.
Anyone care to weigh in on this?
Thanks
I use the Apple pay that is connected to a regular credit card. In this Covid-19 environment, I have appreciated the contact-less way to pay.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RJC wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:57 am I use the Apple pay that is connected to a regular credit card. In this Covid-19 environment, I have appreciated the contact-less way to pay.
I still have to set mine up. It requires calling the bank to confirm the CC link which means finding a time to wait for the rep.

I will note that probably 90% of the time I use a CC I am not required to have any contact. Insert card, wait for it to tell me to remove. Gone. I still have to have contact with the door of the establishment as well as whatever product I picked up which was certainly handled by someone else so the idea of contact with a CC terminal doesn't really bother me.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications