Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
TDwle

Re: Apple Pay. Does anyone use it?

Post by TDwle »

I have been using apple pay for a couple of years and find it very convenient and recently got an apple credit card and linked it to it all good. One feature of the card no numbers on it you can let it out of your sight such as at a restaurant teraunt when paying and have the added security of someone being unable to copy it
TDwle

Post by TDwle »

I have been using apple pay for a couple of years and find it very convenient and recently got an apple credit card and linked it to it all good. One feature of the card no numbers on it you can let it out of your sight such as at a restaurant when paying and have the added security of someone being unable to copy it
mrsmitt

Post by mrsmitt »

Yes, this is my preferred way to pay.

Seriously, just add your credit card and start using and saving time.
Skeeter1 wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:35 pm Just curious about if anyone uses Apple Pay and has any pros or cons. I was just with a friend and they had an Apple Pay credit card. It was very unique because the card had his name but no other identification info. It did not have his account number nor expiration date nor security code. We split a bill and his worked perfectly.
I liked the lack of personal info.
Anyone care to weigh in on this?
Thanks
Topic Author
Skeeter1

Post by Skeeter1 »

Yes, i have been using Apple Pay now after reading so many favorable posts and love it. Thanks for all of the positive feedback.
Skeeter1
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 amSee the mention of paying with the Apple watch, something else that is "convenient" in a way that makes no sense to me.
In European restaurants the waiter brings the terminal to our table.
My wife holds her Apple watch next to the terminal and we are done.
That is convenient.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:46 am
stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:48 amSee the mention of paying with the Apple watch, something else that is "convenient" in a way that makes no sense to me.
In European restaurants the waiter brings the terminal to our table.
My wife holds her Apple watch next to the terminal and we are done.
That is convenient.
Exactly. I spent several weeks in England, where Apple Pay is ubiquitous. Never had to get my wallet out of my pocket. Not once. I never even got any English money. I just pushed the button and held my watch up to the terminal anytime I needed to pay for something.

Back home, if the terminal takes Apple Pay, I just pay with my watch. Super convenient.
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

I use Apple Pay with my Chase Freedom Credit card. Its more convenient that swiping
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

I love the restraints whos receipts has a QR code you just scan and pay via Apple Pay

Only problem with Apple Pay is it’s lead to me never taking my wallet anywhere. Even when driving
hudson

Post by hudson »

rage_phish wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:34 pm I love the restraints whos receipts has a QR code you just scan and pay via Apple Pay

Only problem with Apple Pay is it’s lead to me never taking my wallet anywhere. Even when driving
If you have the Apple Watch GPS + Cellular, you can leave your wallet and your phone....except out in the boonies where it's cash or card.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

hudson wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:57 pm If you have the Apple Watch GPS + Cellular, you can leave your wallet and your phone....except out in the boonies where it's cash or card.
There are plenty of places that are not "in the boonies" that don't take Apple Pay. In addition, there are a number of places around here that take phone-app payments but only via their own app.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
ClassII

Post by ClassII »

hudson wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:57 pm
rage_phish wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:34 pm I love the restraints whos receipts has a QR code you just scan and pay via Apple Pay

If you have the Apple Watch GPS + Cellular, you can leave your wallet and your phone....except out in the boonies where it's cash or card.

Apple Pay doesn't require an internet connection. You can use a standard non-cellular Apple Watch and make purchases on its own just fine.
hudson

Post by hudson »

ClassII wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:59 pm
hudson wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:57 pm

Apple Pay doesn't require an internet connection. You can use a standard non-cellular Apple Watch and make purchases on its own just fine.
That's exactly right....I knew that and quickly forgot it. :oops:
Last edited by hudson on Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
RJC

Post by RJC »

What about your driver's license? If there's a solution for that, I would leave my wallet at home.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

RJC wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:04 am

What about your driver's license? If there's a solution for that, I would leave my wallet at home.
Yup. For iPhone 12's, just get the MagSafe wallet and tuck your DL in there...

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0E ... 3fdfcb9dd0
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

I love Apple, it's ecosystem, and own iPhones, a MacBook, and iPhones, but I still don't use Apple Pay. The 2% cash back isn't enough to entice me as I already get 6% cash back on groceries, 5% on gas and rotating categories, and 1.5% back on all else using my credit cards which aren't difficult to swipe or (auto) pay.
Light weight baby!
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

RobLyons wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:48 am I love Apple, it's ecosystem, and own iPhones, a MacBook, and iPhones, but I still don't use Apple Pay. The 2% cash back isn't enough to entice me as I already get 6% cash back on groceries, 5% on gas and rotating categories, and 1.5% back on all else using my credit cards which aren't difficult to swipe or (auto) pay.
??? What cards do you have that you can't add to Apply Pay?
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

RobLyons wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:48 am I love Apple, it's ecosystem, and own iPhones, a MacBook, and iPhones, but I still don't use Apple Pay. The 2% cash back isn't enough to entice me as I already get 6% cash back on groceries, 5% on gas and rotating categories, and 1.5% back on all else using my credit cards which aren't difficult to swipe or (auto) pay.
I think you're confused between the Apple credit card and Apple Pay. Those are two different things and you should be able to add most credit cards to Apple Pay.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

Indeed, I added my existing credit and debit cards to the Wallet app and used them with Apple Pay for several months before taking the plunge and getting an Apple Card.

If/when you do finally apply for an Apple Card, you can get it approved instantly in the Wallet app. If your credit reports are frozen, unfreeze the one at TransUnion beforehand; that's the one they look at.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You load your existing credit cards into Apple Pay.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Loads of phone cases available that will carry a couple of cards.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:04 am

I have done this now, and really simplified my life. My phone case holds my drivers license, health insurance card, 1 credit card, and my backup Tesla car key. I no longer carry a traditional wallet or any traditional keys. Just grab the phone and I’m all set.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

A few years ago, I made an effort to replace my wallet. Talking with colleagues and reading a few things helped.

Essentially I purchased an iPhone case on eBay that is a hard case. There is a sliding door in the back of the case that can hold 2-3 cards. I simply carried a Drivers License, Credit Card, and Health Insurance. I used the scan feature under “Notes” to take a front and back picture of other cards. If out and about, I simply use that and have never had any issues.

As a result, I have not carried a wallet in years. I think the trending is moving in the direction where plastic cards are going to be a thing of the past.
🚀
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:03 am
You load your existing credit cards into Apple Pay.
Yes! The Apple Wallet app holds your credit cards, airline boarding passes, etc etc. you can put dozens of different credit cards in there.

When you pay, using Apple Pay, you can choose which of the cards gets used for payment.

So if you are the type to use 50 different credit cards depending on where you shop, this is a very convenient way to have them all with you, without actually carrying 50 physical cards around with you.

Apple also offers their own credit card. But you don’t have to have one to use Apple Pay.
Last edited by Normchad on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I used Apple Pay at WaWa this morning for both gas and breakfast. 2% cash back on both and deposited into Apple Cash. Hard to beat that.

Tony
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Normchad wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:10 am
Apple also offers their own credit card. You don’t have to have one to use Apple Pay.
Correct. I am learning that when using Apple Pay with the Apple Credit Card maximizes the Apple Cash back rewards.

The other big benefit for us is I stopped asking for receipts when making purchases. Historically I would do that and then match the receipt to the bank credit card activity once it settled days later. My desk has been clean for a week and time is now spent doing other more rewarding things.
🚀
Tony
Last edited by abuss368 on Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 am As a result, I have not carried a wallet in years. I think the trending is moving in the direction where plastic cards are going to be a thing of the past.
I think they will diminish for sure; e-commerce probably the main accelerator but cards will be around for a long time, I would guess. Just look how long it is taking us to get rid of checks.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

jebmke wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:12 am
abuss368 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 am As a result, I have not carried a wallet in years. I think the trending is moving in the direction where plastic cards are going to be a thing of the past.
I think they will diminish for sure; e-commerce probably the main accelerator but cards will be around for a long time, I would guess. Just look how long it is taking us to get rid of checks.
What’s a check? I haven’t seen one in years.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

Yeah. Don’t get pulled over
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:20 am What’s a check? I haven’t seen one in years.
We rarely use them -- although our bill pay generates a check more often than an EFT. Sadly, the US is still stuck in the 20th century.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

jebmke wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:12 am
Hi jebmke -

Absolutely. Checks - I am surprised it is still taking this long but they are dying a slow and painful death. We still write too many checks because we have kids in grade school. Constant activities and fundraising. If not for that I would not be writing checks. But it is fast coming to an end for us.

Someday checks and plastic cards will be on display in the Museum of Finance!

💪
Tony
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

rage_phish wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:22 am

Yeah. Don’t get pulled over
That is why I fly my rock ship where possible!
🚀
Tony
beyou

Post by beyou »

Paypal and apple pay can store your credit cards, but Apple pay is a lass through, meaning using apple pay with any credit card you get the rewards of that cc. Paypal charged your card and then pays your merchant, sometimes preventing you from getting your cc rewards. But some online stores take paypal and not apple pay. So I use a 2% everywhere card for paypal, but apple pay has all my cc and get rewards same as using the plastic.
RJC

Post by RJC »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:09 am

A few years ago, I made an effort to replace my wallet. Talking with colleagues and reading a few things helped.

Essentially I purchased an iPhone case on eBay that is a hard case. There is a sliding door in the back of the case that can hold 2-3 cards. I simply carried a Drivers License, Credit Card, and Health Insurance. I used the scan feature under “Notes” to take a front and back picture of other cards. If out and about, I simply use that and have never had any issues.

As a result, I have not carried a wallet in years. I think the trending is moving in the direction where plastic cards are going to be a thing of the past.
🚀
Tony
My only concern is then if you lose your phone, then you lose everything. I guess the phone will be your wallet at some point...
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

Not yet, but Apple did announce that the next iOS will support digitally adding driver's licenses and that TSA is going to be using that feature. Unfortunately I imagine that police adoption is going to be a much more slow and spotty affair.
ZinCO

Post by ZinCO »

masteraleph wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:28 pm

Not yet, but Apple did announce that the next iOS will support digitally adding driver's licenses and that TSA is going to be using that feature. Unfortunately I imagine that police adoption is going to be a much more slow and spotty affair.
Colorado now has a digital ID app that is accepted by almost 20 agencies (including state patrol, Denver, and many of the suburbs). The app also manages your vaccine record and fishing license... presumably there will be more in the future.
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

furwut wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:41 pm
lakpr wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:38 pm @dollar_elbow,

Count me as a newbie on the intricacies of using Apple Pay. What happens if I disable Touch ID or Face ID on the Apple iPhone? I am a bit privacy obsessed that I don’t want to unlock the iPhone with my finger print or face image /store them in the phone. I prefer and use either a passcode or a pass phrase to unlock and use the phone. Does this mean I can’t use Apple Pay?

I am curious and willing to give it a try but would NOT at the condition of having to enable Touch ID or Face ID
Biometric ID is required for Apple Pay.
You can use FaceID for Apple Pay, but still log in to your phone with four digit passcode.
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

I love using it to send my teenagers money when they need it. They can buy themselves food when out, etc. and I can see what they are buying
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Skeeter1 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:15 am Yes, i have been using Apple Pay now after reading so many favorable posts and love it. Thanks for all of the positive feedback.
Skeeter1
Actually since US caught up with the rest of the world in terms of touch pay there is no reason to use it anymore. Since the pandemic I haven't use it much, I just touch my credit card. It's especially annoying because of the face recognition problem with the mask on.
There is an advantage in not having to carry many cards, but I still cannot rely on the phone exclusively. So the advantage vanished. It's a good back up but that's it for me.
obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

Starfish wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:45 pm It's especially annoying because of the face recognition problem with the mask on.
Slightly off-topic, but this is precisely why I prefer TouchID. My hand is holding the phone, so my thumb is always somewhere close, and paying with ApplePay is effectively one motion. As I understand it, FaceID is two motions (scan face and then bring phone close to reader). Using FaceID with a mask just makes it harder.
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Starfish wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:45 pm Actually since US caught up with the rest of the world in terms of touch pay there is no reason to use it anymore. Since the pandemic I haven't use it much, I just touch my credit card. It's especially annoying because of the face recognition problem with the mask on.
Some touch pay around here but most of the rest are chip. The last time I actually had to sign a card receipt or touch a reader was at my haircut. Most are insert card, remove card.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

obafgkm wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:09 am
Starfish wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:45 pm It's especially annoying because of the face recognition problem with the mask on.
Slightly off-topic, but this is precisely why I prefer TouchID. My hand is holding the phone, so my thumb is always somewhere close, and paying with ApplePay is effectively one motion. As I understand it, FaceID is two motions (scan face and then bring phone close to reader). Using FaceID with a mask just makes it harder.
That's one of the nice things about paying with the Apple Watch - no additional biometric verification at payment time.
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

pasadena wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:57 am
I think you're confused between the Apple credit card and Apple Pay. Those are two different things and you should be able to add most credit cards to Apple Pay.

Yes, I was confused! Thanks. I've loaded my cards into Apple Pay. It was easy!
Light weight baby!
YeahBuddy

Post by YeahBuddy »

Normchad wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:07 am

I have done this now, and really simplified my life. My phone case holds my drivers license, health insurance card, 1 credit card, and my backup Tesla car key. I no longer carry a traditional wallet or any traditional keys. Just grab the phone and I’m all set.

Can you make a recommendation on phone cases (or manufacturer of cases) that carries this much? I have my license, health insurance card, AAA card, Costco card, a VISA gift card that won't load to the wallet, and some cash just in case... Thanks

Side note - will be sad to no longer carry a few nostalgic photos in my wallet. Maybe I'll bring it just in case :wink:
Light weight baby!
teniralc

Post by teniralc »

Count me as a newbie on the intricacies of using Apple Pay. What happens if I disable Touch ID or Face ID on the Apple iPhone? I am a bit privacy obsessed that I don’t want to unlock the iPhone with my finger print or face image /store them in the phone. I prefer and use either a passcode or a pass phrase to unlock and use the phone. Does this mean I can’t use Apple Pay?

I am curious and willing to give it a try but would NOT at the condition of having to enable Touch ID or Face ID
When I have a mask on and the faceID gets rejected on the phone, it asks if I want to use a passcode, which I do and then I make the transaction.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

RobLyons wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:42 am
Normchad wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:07 am

Can you make a recommendation on phone cases (or manufacturer of cases) that carries this much? I have my license, health insurance card, AAA card, Costco card, a VISA gift card that won't load to the wallet, and some cash just in case... Thanks

Side note - will be sad to no longer carry a few nostalgic photos in my wallet. Maybe I'll bring it just in case :wink:
I bought this one, and I like it. Smartish iPhone XR Wallet Case -... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FW4Y5TF?re ... b_ap_share
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

teniralc wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:45 am

When I have a mask on and the faceID gets rejected on the phone, it asks if I want to use a passcode, which I do and then I make the transaction.
A little off topic, but for those who have an Apple Watch, activate "Unlock with Apple Watch" - the phone will unlock even with a mask on. I haven't tied it with Apple Pay, though.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

pasadena wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:21 am A little off topic, but for those who have an Apple Watch, activate "Unlock with Apple Watch" - the phone will unlock even with a mask on. I haven't tied it with Apple Pay, though.
Though if you have an Apple Watch, you can just use Apple Pay from the watch without having to unlock, so this would be unnecessary.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

bluebolt wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:04 am
pasadena wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:21 am A little off topic, but for those who have an Apple Watch, activate "Unlock with Apple Watch" - the phone will unlock even with a mask on. I haven't tied it with Apple Pay, though.
Though if you have an Apple Watch, you can just use Apple Pay from the watch without having to unlock, so this would be unnecessary.
Which is why I haven't tested the functionality with Apple Pay! But still, it's really nice to have it, and a lot of people don't know about it.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

jebmke wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:10 am
Starfish wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:45 pm Actually since US caught up with the rest of the world in terms of touch pay there is no reason to use it anymore. Since the pandemic I haven't use it much, I just touch my credit card. It's especially annoying because of the face recognition problem with the mask on.
Some touch pay around here but most of the rest are chip. The last time I actually had to sign a card receipt or touch a reader was at my haircut. Most are insert card, remove card.
Around me too some stores (Homedepot for example) do not have the touch feature. This means that I cannot pay with Apple Pay. One less reason to rely exclusively on it.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

RJC wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:44 pm
My only concern is then if you lose your phone, then you lose everything. I guess the phone will be your wallet at some point...
I have considered that as well and essentially arrived at the same conclusion. I also considered a scenario where the power goes out and we can’t charge phones. Oh well, credit card networks, gas pumps, and ATM would not work either. I did not see much, if any, difference.
🚀
Tony