Inapplicable W-2

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
archbish99

Inapplicable W-2

Post by archbish99 »

We had an employer erroneously issue a W-2, when in fact there was no taxable income. (They paid us when they weren't supposed to; we returned the check; they sent us a W-2 for the money they paid us; we pointed out that we didn't keep the money, so no actual payment; they agree that's what happened.)

I've repeatedly requested a corrected W-2. They ultimately provided a memo which states:
As a result, we have corrected our system and it now reflects $0 in box 1. However, we are unable to print a corrected W2 because all the values are zero. Please retain this letter with the original W2 with your tax documents.
However, none of this says that the corrected information is being reported to the IRS. This is probably enough to rebut an assumption that the payment should have been included in our tax return, but I'd rather not have that issue crop up in the first place.

Do I need to keep pushing for the corrected W-2, which they say isn't possible? If they can't/won't provide it, what's my next step?
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
jebmke

Re: Inapplicable W-2

Post by jebmke »

You should be able to find the corrected record in the IRS transcripts system.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Topic Author
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

While I haven't been able to re-authenticate to the transcript system yet, the page describing what was available from the transcripts is a summary of tax returns. Is there an option there to also see what W-2s have been reported to the IRS?
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

If you can't get the W-2 sorted out, you could potentially treat it as repayment of wages. IRS pub 525 has details on how to manage that.

Might want to check with an accountant before doing that though since it's not exactly repaid wages.
sport

Post by sport »

Couldn't the company put blank W-2 forms into an old-fashioned typewriter and type in all the zeros? Just because their software does not allow them to use their normal procedures does not mean it is impossible to do.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

archbish99 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:52 am While I haven't been able to re-authenticate to the transcript system yet, the page describing what was available from the transcripts is a summary of tax returns. Is there an option there to also see what W-2s have been reported to the IRS?
https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-ret ... order-them

"Wage and Income Transcript - shows data from information returns we receive such as Forms W-2, 1099, 1098 and Form 5498, IRA Contribution Information. Current tax year information may not be complete until July. This transcript is available for up to 10 prior years using Get Transcript Online or Form 4506-T."
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I suppose they could issue a "corrected" form showing $1 in wages.