Fidelity as a one stop shop

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
anon_investor

Re: Fidelity as a one stop shop

Post by anon_investor »

obafgkm wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:46 am
anon_investor wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:28 pm Lucky me, I got the confirmation email about registering for the bonus and a couple days after depositing $50, a new tile appeared on my Fidelity account saying I met the requirements for the bonus and would receive it within 25 days of account opening.
What is this "tile" you speak of? I'm looking at my new account via both the website and the Apple's iOS Fidelity app on my iPhone, and I don't see any "tile" or notification that the requirements for the bonus have been made.

I did receive a confirmation email that I had registered for the reward when I opened the account, and I immediately pushed $50 from my Barclays savings account to the new Fidelity account. It cleared a day ago. Where should I look for the "tile"?
I only see it on the website and not the app. It appeared as one of the customizable tiles when you first login. It appeared maybe a week after my $50 deposit cleared. If you received the confirmation email you are probably good.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heartwood wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm
czaj wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:38 am Fidelity is currently offering an easy promo for various accounts (cash management, brokerage, IRA). Deposit $50, get $100.

https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer

I signed up for a second cash management account. I would’ve done a Roth IRA for the tax-free $100, but I already contributed the max to my Vanguard account for the year.
Some glitches:

We have an existing joint CMA at Fidelity under my SSN as primary. I have my logon, my wife has a separate logon.

Wife and I signed up yesterday online. I wound up with two new brokerage accounts in my name (??) and got an email that I was registered but had to fund the account.

DW was only allowed to logon to the joint account via her existing logon. It would not accept a new logon account. DW got an email that she had a new brokerage, but no email that they had accepted registration. I could not find any way to view the SSN for each account.

We called Fidelity today. We were told all is OK. They will remove my duplicate brokerage account. They confirmed DW's brokerage was under her SSN and that she was registered for the offer.

Then we were both told that if we didn't get the $100 in 26 days to call back and they would add it manually.
Anyone actually get the $100?
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

heartwood wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:04 pm Anyone actually get the $100?
Mine arrived three weeks after my deposit. While I received an email with the subject "Registration confirmed: $100 cash reward" after opening the account, I did not see atile indicating I had met the terms of the bonus after logging in on a desktop computer that others in this thread mentioned.
chet96

Post by chet96 »

Forgive the possibly obvious question.

Is it possible to setup a joint account with a spouse that does not have a Fidelity account? I'm looking to close a joint Capital One account used to mainly collect property taxes / insurance. If I can work a small account bonus even better (add checks - it's about perfect).

I already have a CMA account - can the existing ATM card be used? (I don't need another card really - just trying to determine how it all works).

Thanks all.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

chet96 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:53 pm Forgive the possibly obvious question.

Is it possible to setup a joint account with a spouse that does not have a Fidelity account? I'm looking to close a joint Capital One account used to mainly collect property taxes / insurance. If I can work a small account bonus even better (add checks - it's about perfect).

I already have a CMA account - can the existing ATM card be used? (I don't need another card really - just trying to determine how it all works).

Thanks all.
Yep!

I think once the joint account is created - they'll be able to create their own account (using their SSN) and get their own login. At least that's how I remember it - had spouse on a joint account, and then eventually had them create their own login/account to transfer over their Roth IRA. When done, they had access to their IRA as well as our "joint" account when they login. (You can also give access rights - such as view balances for most accounts [some limitations on employer accounts IIRC], so spouse can "see" the bigger picture if you want.)
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

heartwood wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:04 pm
heartwood wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:02 pm
czaj wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:38 am Fidelity is currently offering an easy promo for various accounts (cash management, brokerage, IRA). Deposit $50, get $100.

https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer

I signed up for a second cash management account. I would’ve done a Roth IRA for the tax-free $100, but I already contributed the max to my Vanguard account for the year.
S

Then we were both told that if we didn't get the $100 in 26 days to call back and they would add it manually.
Anyone actually get the $100?
After about 30 days, I had to call and have them manually add the $100. I never received any kind of email saying I "qualified" after setting up my brokerage account. I used the right link and saw the promo code when setting up the new account. Seems like there might be some glitches in the system.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

Spouse and I both received the confirmation and email and credited the bonus automatically. Other blogs/forums suggest a lot of issues with not getting the email and bonus automatically though, but I've seen lots of reports of successful manual credits after contacting customer service.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:32 am
anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 am
cowdogman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:15 am FYI Fidelity already removed $100 from each of my and my wife's accounts as an "excess contribution" and moved it to our joint account. I have set a reminder for Dec 1 to check on the bonuses.
Do you accounts show the "tile" that says you will get the bonus? Mine does, but my spouse's doesn't. We have a reminder to contact Fidelity to ask about the bonuses if they do not show up on the 25th day.
Yes, both of our accounts have the notice that we have earned the bonus. I opened each of my and my wife's Roth IRAs thru the bonus link.

Given my snafu with the $7,000 contribution I won't be surprised if I have to call Fidelity again, but I was very impressed with the customer support yesterday. This experience may finally push me to make the leap from Vanguard to Fidelity.
Fidelity deposited $100 to both my and my wife's account yesterday--without me needing to call a second time. Go Fidelity!
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

My reward posted without any issues. Now I need to decide if I want to use this cash management account for anything.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

Back to Fidelity As a One Stop Shop,

I'm thinking of closing my local bank account. I'm trying to think of reasons why I should keep it open.

So far I have:

Can't deposit cash at Fidelity (can't imagine I would ever need to deposit cash)

Can't get a large amount of cash at Fidelity (rarely use cash, but have a decent stash in my home safe - also can use an ATM)

No Safe Deposit box (had one at my local bank and closed it putting everything in the home safe)

So, what else am I missing that a B&M bank can do that I can't do at Fidelity (either online, phone or in person at a Fidelity office)?
classicindexer

Post by classicindexer »

PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 am Back to Fidelity As a One Stop Shop,

I'm thinking of closing my local bank account. I'm trying to think of reasons why I should keep it open.

So far I have:

Can't deposit cash at Fidelity (can't imagine I would ever need to deposit cash)

Can't get a large amount of cash at Fidelity (rarely use cash, but have a decent stash in my home safe - also can use an ATM)

No Safe Deposit box (had one at my local bank and closed it putting everything in the home safe)

So, what else am I missing that a B&M bank can do that I can't do at Fidelity (either online, phone or in person at a Fidelity office)?
Fidelity will not accept mobile deposits of checks made payable to “Cash”. Ally Bank does though. So that could be an issue at some point.
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

So far I have:

One thing I think about:
Walk into a local branch and take out a large sum of cash in the event a cyberattack shuts down our entire financial infrastructure for a period of time and I can't use credit cards or ATMs.
sarabayo

Post by sarabayo »

PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 am Can't deposit cash at Fidelity (can't imagine I would ever need to deposit cash)
FWIW, when I've had extra cash lying around that I couldn't deposit, I've "solved" the problem by using a Bank of America ATM to make a cash payment for my Bank of America credit card. That's a pretty handy feature of those ATMs :) Of course, that only works if the amount of cash is reasonably small - I wouldn't want to drive my card balance thousands of dollars into the negative range, after all.
KeepingEyesOpen

Post by KeepingEyesOpen »

Obtaining a medallion signature guarantee. I needed this a few times in the past for sending in paper iBonds for conversion to Treasury Direct trust account, letter authorizing rollover of qualified pension plan account to Rollover IRA, and for sending in paper stock certificates to a brokerage (to Vanguard, but it might have been the qualified plan custodian that needed the MSG - can't remember which).

I know ... these are edge cases, but you might sometime need a signature guarantee.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

KeepingEyesOpen wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:33 am

Obtaining a medallion signature guarantee. I needed this a few times in the past for sending in paper iBonds for conversion to Treasury Direct trust account, letter authorizing rollover of qualified pension plan account to Rollover IRA, and for sending in paper stock certificates to a brokerage (to Vanguard, but it might have been the qualified plan custodian that needed the MSG - can't remember which).

I know ... these are edge cases, but you might sometime need a signature guarantee.
I'll have to check, but I though Fidelity offices offered medallion signature?
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

classicindexer wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:01 am
PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:57 am
Fidelity will not accept mobile deposits of checks made payable to “Cash”. Ally Bank does though. So that could be an issue at some point.
For the time being, I plan on keeping my Ally account and only close my local B&M bank accounts. If Fidelity's money market funds ever make a comeback, I will probably dump Ally too. Thanks.
Leif

Post by Leif »

PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:41 am I'll have to check, but I though Fidelity offices offered medallion signature?
Yes, they have that service.

Only thing I keep my non-Fidelity checking account for is to deposit my paper US Govt bonds and for cashier checks. Both are rare events.
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

Leif wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:07 pm
PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:41 am I'll have to check, but I though Fidelity offices offered medallion signature?

Only thing I keep my non-Fidelity checking account for is to deposit my paper US Govt bonds and for cashier checks. Both are rare events.
I'll have to give the cashier check some thought. Haven't needed one in over a decade and can't really think of a reason I'd need one, but you never know.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

cowdogman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 am
cowdogman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:32 am
anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 am
cowdogman wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:15 am FYI Fidelity already removed $100 from each of my and my wife's accounts as an "excess contribution" and moved it to our joint account. I have set a reminder for Dec 1 to check on the bonuses.
Do you accounts show the "tile" that says you will get the bonus? Mine does, but my spouse's doesn't. We have a reminder to contact Fidelity to ask about the bonuses if they do not show up on the 25th day.
Yes, both of our accounts have the notice that we have earned the bonus. I opened each of my and my wife's Roth IRAs thru the bonus link.

Given my snafu with the $7,000 contribution I won't be surprised if I have to call Fidelity again, but I was very impressed with the customer support yesterday. This experience may finally push me to make the leap from Vanguard to Fidelity.
Fidelity deposited $100 to both my and my wife's account yesterday--without me needing to call a second time. Go Fidelity!
My $100 showed up automatically (but I did get the confirmation email). My spouse didn't get the confirmation email and had to call to get the $100 added manually, which they did.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I deposited cash by taking it to the Post Office and purchasing a few money orders, then using mobile deposit app to deposit those. There's a small fee for the money orders, but it's a once-a-decade issue for me.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 »

PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:14 pm
Leif wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:07 pm

I'll have to give the cashier check some thought. Haven't needed one in over a decade and can't really think of a reason I'd need one, but you never know.
After a little research, I've found you can get a cashiers check by contacting Fidelity. They will overnight the check. Not perfect, but probably good enough.
Leif

Post by Leif »

PatrickA5 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:36 pm After a little research, I've found you can get a cashiers check by contacting Fidelity. They will overnight the check. Not perfect, but probably good enough.
News to me! When I asked at an investment center they just told me no. Very cool!

Now, if they would only accept Gov't paper bonds (e/i) for deposit, that would cover everything for me (that I can think of now).
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I am an existing Fido customer with IRA, CMA, and joint brokerage account with spouse. Can spouse and I each open a new, second individual brokerage account and each get the bonus offer?

And follow up question, if the answer above is “yes you can”: in the future (after the 90-day period), can I (painlessly) consolidate the two individual brokerage accounts into the joint account with no trading or tax impacts?
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Despite liking their prices, web site and personal service, I'm having misgivings about keeping my money at Fidelity. The online security they offer is severely lacking. For a company whose AUM are bigger than Russia's GDP, that's sad.

The only security enhancement they have is 2FA, and that's email- or SMS-based, the weaknesses of which I won't repeat here. For the size of the company, I'd expect time-based one-time passwords. Worse, if you use account aggregators like Quicken or Personal Capital (no lectures on that topic, please) you can't even use the 2FA they offer because it breaks that process.

Most of the other banks I have a relationship require 3rd parties to use OAuth, and work well with Quicken and YNAB. Fidelity claims to have "Fidelity Access" for third parties but it's not compulsory and they obviously missed their stated goal to "complete the rollout by 2018".

As a workaround I asked for a separate read-only login, which I'd use for Quicken and YNAB. I'd enable the flimsy SMS-based 2FA on my regular login to have at least something between me and the hackers. But no. I was told Fidelity doesn't allow that, despite the fact that I already have an alternate ID used with a trust account.
increment

Post by increment »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm The only security enhancement they have is 2FA, and that's email- or SMS-based, the weaknesses of which I won't repeat here. For the size of the company, I'd expect time-based one-time passwords.
You can choose the Symantec VIP one-time passwords, at least.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

increment wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:34 pm
spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm The only security enhancement they have is 2FA, and that's email- or SMS-based, the weaknesses of which I won't repeat here. For the size of the company, I'd expect time-based one-time passwords.
^^^This! Way more secure than Vanguard, where the Yubikey defaults back to SMS as a back up, defeating the purpose of a Yubikey.
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm Despite liking their prices, web site and personal service, I'm having misgivings about keeping my money at Fidelity. The online security they offer is severely lacking. For a company whose AUM are bigger than Russia's GDP, that's sad.

The only security enhancement they have is 2FA, and that's email- or SMS-based, the weaknesses of which I won't repeat here. For the size of the company, I'd expect time-based one-time passwords. Worse, if you use account aggregators like Quicken or Personal Capital (no lectures on that topic, please) you can't even use the 2FA they offer because it breaks that process.

Most of the other banks I have a relationship require 3rd parties to use OAuth, and work well with Quicken and YNAB. Fidelity claims to have "Fidelity Access" for third parties but it's not compulsory and they obviously missed their stated goal to "complete the rollout by 2018".

As a workaround I asked for a separate read-only login, which I'd use for Quicken and YNAB. I'd enable the flimsy SMS-based 2FA on my regular login to have at least something between me and the hackers. But no. I was told Fidelity doesn't allow that, despite the fact that I already have an alternate ID used with a trust account.
Move your money to another brokerage. Problem solved.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cash is King wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:01 pm
spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:25 pm Despite liking their prices, web site and personal service, I'm having misgivings about keeping my money at Fidelity. The online security they offer is severely lacking. For a company whose AUM are bigger than Russia's GDP, that's sad.

Or the problem could be solved if the poster just used the Symantec VIP authenticator app for 2FA at Fidelity, that generates a one time use code.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:37 pm
^^^This! Way more secure than Vanguard, where the Yubikey defaults back to SMS as a back up, defeating the purpose of a Yubikey.
This, why spread misinformation? They have 2fa options for everyone to find one they prefer
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:06 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:37 pm
This, why spread misinformation? They have 2fa options for everyone to find one they prefer
Unlike Vanguard!
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

For convenience I'd prefer to use the TOTP authenticator app I already use for other sites but Symantec apparently supports adding other connections by QR Code. I guess I can adopt it in lieu of Authy. Does Fidelity really require the Symantec client? There's a credential ID in the app, leading me to conclude they do. I haven't called Fidelity to set it up.

Unfortunately, any TOTP breaks connections by aggregators. Why can't they do both TOTP for account owners and OAuth for third parties? Others do.
Cash is King

Post by Cash is King »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:05 pm
Cash is King wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:01 pm

Or the problem could be solved if the poster just used the Symantec VIP authenticator app for 2FA at Fidelity, that generates a one time use code.
Agreed. I inferred the OP was not happy.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:10 pm
For convenience I'd prefer to use the TOTP authenticator app I already use for other sites but Symantec apparently supports adding other connections by QR Code. I guess I can adopt it in lieu of Authy. Does Fidelity really require the Symantec client? There's a credential ID in the app, leading me to conclude they do. I haven't called Fidelity to set it up.

Unfortunately, any TOTP breaks connections by aggregators. Why can't they do both TOTP for account owners and OAuth for third parties? Others do.
Google it, you can run some commands in Linux and hook up Google auth
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:13 pm

I did see that but don't want to jump through those hoops. I would migrate my logins from Authy to Symantec. I'm still stuck with not being able to securely connect Quicken and YNAB.

I understand that others consider those inherently insecure but, that approach being read-only, the risk is low.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

The Symantec app is also used by Schwab. One advantage of the Symantec app is that the 30 second countdown for the TOTP starts when you start the app, unlike Authy, Google, etc. You don't have to wait if say you only have 6 seconds left and are unsure you can get the code entered and processed by that time. Also, you can have TOTP turned on and still do a direct connect within Quicken for downloads. But if you want to change brokerages, I'm sure Fidelity wouldn't mind. :wink:
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm
spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:10 pm For convenience I'd prefer to use the TOTP authenticator app I already use for other sites but Symantec apparently supports adding other connections by QR Code. I guess I can adopt it in lieu of Authy. Does Fidelity really require the Symantec client? There's a credential ID in the app, leading me to conclude they do. I haven't called Fidelity to set it up.

The Symantec app is also used by Schwab. One advantage of the Symantec app is that the 30 second countdown for the TOTP starts when you start the app, unlike Authy, Google, etc. You don't have to wait if say you only have 6 seconds left and are unsure you can get the code entered and processed by that time. Also, you can have TOTP turned on and still do a direct connect within Quicken for downloads. But if you want to change brokerages, I'm sure Fidelity wouldn't mind. :wink:
Symantec VIP is also used by E*Trade. I found it is very convenient to have single app for Fidelity, Schwab and E*Trade. I have Symantec app on my Apple Watch and the app is usable without iPhone.
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

VictorStarr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:09 pm
TimeRunner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm
spammagnet wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:10 pm For convenience I'd prefer to use the TOTP authenticator app I already use for other sites but Symantec apparently supports adding other connections by QR Code. I guess I can adopt it in lieu of Authy. Does Fidelity really require the Symantec client? There's a credential ID in the app, leading me to conclude they do. I haven't called Fidelity to set it up.

Symantec VIP is also used by E*Trade. I found it is very convenient to have single app for Fidelity, Schwab and E*Trade. I have Symantec app on my Apple Watch and the app is usable without iPhone.
Thank you for this info! Those are my big three and I was looking for the common app for them.
:beer
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

After reviewing my accounts, I've decided to take the plunge, and will start the process of moving accounts once I'm back from vacation in a couple weeks. I'm going to hold on to my Ally savings account for access to Zelle, and because 0.50% interest beats 0.01%. Since my 401k and HSA are both already with Fidelity, this should simplify both portfolio management and reporting. I do have some logistical questions, though.

I have about 36k in Wellesley in a taxable brokerage account at Vanguard. Can I transfer the entire fund over without selling, or will it have to be liquidated to transfer over? My 2021 AGI will be just below the threshold that lets me keep my entire stimulus payment - recognizing a gain would result in me having to pay it back. Should I hold off on moving the brokerage account until 2021 just to be safe, or is this a nonissue? I wasn't planning on closing my Schwab checking account until 2021, mostly because I wanted to be sure nobody in HR was on holiday should there be a problem with payroll.

Also, if I move my Roth, and I get a dividend payment after closing and have to transfer it over, how do I make sure that gets recorded as part of my existing balances (contributed for tax year 2021 and earlier), and not a new contribution for 2022? Should I also postpone moving that until January, and then hold off on my 2022 contributions until Feb?
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

Independent George wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:01 pm
I have about 36k in Wellesley in a taxable brokerage account at Vanguard. Can I transfer the entire fund over without selling, or will it have to be liquidated to transfer over? My 2021 AGI will be just below the threshold that lets me keep my entire stimulus payment - recognizing a gain would result in me having to pay it back. Should I hold off on moving the brokerage account until 2021 just to be safe, or is this a nonissue? I wasn't planning on closing my Schwab checking account until 2021, mostly because I wanted to be sure nobody in HR was on holiday should there be a problem with payroll.
You can buy and hold Vg Wellesley® Income Fund Investor at Fidelity. My best guess that you can transfer, hold Wellesley admiral and reinvest dividends but you can not buy admiral fund at Fidelity. Call Fidelity for details.
Request transfer in-kind, it would take 10-15 minutes to prepare forms online - https://www.fidelity.com/customer-servi ... fer-assets .
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

PatrickA5 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 am After about 30 days, I had to call and have them manually add the $100. I never received any kind of email saying I "qualified" after setting up my brokerage account. I used the right link and saw the promo code when setting up the new account. Seems like there might be some glitches in the system.
That's odd that you had problems. I just logged in after a couple of weeks and noticed it says "We're processing your $100 reward
You're all set. We'll deposit your cash reward within 25 days of opening your account." on my summary page.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

MisterBill wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:45 pm
PatrickA5 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 am After about 30 days, I had to call and have them manually add the $100. I never received any kind of email saying I "qualified" after setting up my brokerage account. I used the right link and saw the promo code when setting up the new account. Seems like there might be some glitches in the system.
That's odd that you had problems. I just logged in after a couple of weeks and noticed it says "We're processing your $100 reward
You're all set. We'll deposit your cash reward within 25 days of opening your account." on my summary page.
Mileage varies. Neither my wife nor I received our $100 initially. I got an email that I'd qualified; she did not. In those early days I called and spoke to a rep who confirmed we were compliant and "call back in 26+ days if you don't get the bonus and we'll add it manually." We had to call after 26+ days, both of us were denied, had to escalate to a supervisor who said we did not fulfill the strict terms. I suggested, several times, that the accounts were open and each had the $50 of new money from outside Fidelity, so we'd apparently fulfilled the spirit of the offer. I also suggested politely that he could listen to the recorded calls. He eventually credited our accounts coded as "journaled goodwill." At least a half hour with the supervisor.
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:00 pm The Symantec app is also used by Schwab. One advantage of the Symantec app is that the 30 second countdown for the TOTP starts when you start the app, unlike Authy, Google, etc. You don't have to wait if say you only have 6 seconds left and are unsure you can get the code entered and processed by that time.
OTOH, I've found time sync issues if I open the Symantec app before Fidelity prompts for the code. Since obviously there is a 30 second clock involved, I'm guessing that when Fidelity prompts for the code, it will accept the current number or the next one to be generated (should the clock roll over between when Fido prompts and you open the app). By opening the app too soon, I can get a code that doesn't match what Fidelity expects.
jalm1

Post by jalm1 »

Slightly different - for me the new cash management view rolled out on the web. I feel like there's been a banner for about a year saying a new cash management experience is coming. Its not much better, than before, but a bit nicer. It is a little less brokerage accounting activity like and a bit more bank like. That said I feel like they could have taken the experience further than re-skining the current screen.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

heartwood wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:37 pm
Mileage varies. Neither my wife nor I received our $100 initially. I got an email that I'd qualified; she did not. In those early days I called and spoke to a rep who confirmed we were compliant and "call back in 26+ days if you don't get the bonus and we'll add it manually." We had to call after 26+ days, both of us were denied, had to escalate to a supervisor who said we did not fulfill the strict terms. I suggested, several times, that the accounts were open and each had the $50 of new money from outside Fidelity, so we'd apparently fulfilled the spirit of the offer. I also suggested politely that he could listen to the recorded calls. He eventually credited our accounts coded as "journaled goodwill." At least a half hour with the supervisor.
Was this at the beginning of the promotion? Maybe they had problems initially but have fixed them? Or I just got lucky.

Of course, I do not have the money yet, but hopefully there will not be an issue.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

jalm1 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:11 pm Slightly different - for me the new cash management view rolled out on the web. I feel like there's been a banner for about a year saying a new cash management experience is coming. Its not much better, than before, but a bit nicer. It is a little less brokerage accounting activity like and a bit more bank like. That said I feel like they could have taken the experience further than re-skining the current screen.
It's not just reskinned. They removed the ability to view check images. At least, the most recent (and rare) personal check we wrote has no image. I hope it's an anomaly.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

MisterBill wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 am
heartwood wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:37 pm
Was this at the beginning of the promotion? Maybe they had problems initially but have fixed them? Or I just got lucky.

Of course, I do not have the money yet, but hopefully there will not be an issue.
My spouse and I each signed up when the promo started. I got the confirmation email, and the money eventually showed up automatically. My spouse did not get the email, but via live chat a she got a Fido CS rep to put a note on her account about her qualifying. She then had another Fido CS rep confirm the note via secure message. When she didn't automatically get the $100 after 26 days, she called and Fido credited her immediate, she was able to buy some VTI with the $100 that day. 0 arguments from Fido I guess when it is in writing.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

As of today, all of my Vanguard holdings have been transferred over to Fidelity. Actually, for the moment, my Vanguard accounts still show their balances, so I'm a paper millionaire for a few days until everything settles. I've updated all of my bills to the Fidelity cash management account, but I'm leaving a couple thousand in my Schwab through January, just in case I missed an auto-bill. My next paycheck is supposed to go to my Fidelity account, but we'll see how it goes.

Since my 401k and HSA are already with Fidelity, it's quite nice to see everything in one place instead of having to do mental accounting. Thus far, the only downsides to Fidelity:

1. For some reason, I can't auto-invest in my brokerage account by drawing from cash management - instead, I have to complete an auto-transfer first, and then buy from the core position. Which is kind of dub considering internal transfers are cleared instantly. So instead of having one automatic transaction each month, I need to set up two.
2. Actually, if I wanted to invest semi-monthly or bi-weekly, I'd have to set up four transactions (two transfers and two automatic investments), because Fidelity only offers a monthly option. I'd have greatly preferred to set it up to match my pay cycle, as I did at Vanguard.
sarabayo

Post by sarabayo »

Independent George wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:20 pm 1. For some reason, I can't auto-invest in my brokerage account by drawing from cash management - instead, I have to complete an auto-transfer first, and then buy from the core position. Which is kind of dub considering internal transfers are cleared instantly. So instead of having one automatic transaction each month, I need to set up two.
Why not just auto-invest directly in the CMA?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

sarabayo wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:26 pm
Independent George wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:20 pm 1. For some reason, I can't auto-invest in my brokerage account by drawing from cash management - instead, I have to complete an auto-transfer first, and then buy from the core position. Which is kind of dub considering internal transfers are cleared instantly. So instead of having one automatic transaction each month, I need to set up two.
Why not just auto-invest directly in the CMA?
That's what I was thinking... The CMA is a brokerage account, for most purposes you don't need a second brokerage account.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Independent George wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:20 pm1. For some reason, I can't auto-invest in my brokerage account by drawing from cash management - instead, I have to complete an auto-transfer first, and then buy from the core position. Which is kind of dub considering internal transfers are cleared instantly. So instead of having one automatic transaction each month, I need to set up two.
2. Actually, if I wanted to invest semi-monthly or bi-weekly, I'd have to set up four transactions (two transfers and two automatic investments), because Fidelity only offers a monthly option. I'd have greatly preferred to set it up to match my pay cycle, as I did at Vanguard.
You can direct a portion of your paycheck to your brokerage account as a separate deposit. But, if you already set up the transfers, why bother?