Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
delamer

Re: Quicken: One Security, two goals?

Post by delamer »

You Know What I Mean wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:35 pm
delamer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:45 am Fellow Quicken users —

I am using the latest version of Quicken Deluxe.

I have the same mutual fund in both an IRA and in a taxable brokerage account. As you know, Quicken allows you to assign one “goal” to each security. In this case, though, I’d like the fund in the IRA to have a different goal than the fund in taxable account.

Is there any work-around? I tried creating 2 separate securities with different names but the same ticker symbol, but Quicken wouldn’t load the 2nd security (no error message, but no new security appeared in the Security List either).

(Note: I am not interested in a discussion of alternatives to Quicken. I am not changing to another app/software.)
I have done this many times. It’s actually pretty quick. This is what has worked for me.

After you click “Add Security” do not put an entry in the “Enter symbol or name for this new security” block.

Instead, at the bottom click on “Click here” after “If the ticker symbol / company name is not found or you prefer to enter it manually.”

On the next screen leave the “Ticker symbol” block blank, but in the “Name” block, type in your desired name. For example, you could use “Vanguard S&P 500 Fund_IRA” to differentiate from a previously existing “Vanguard S&P 500 Fund” security. You can also select a “Security type” entry on this screen.

On the next screen, you can select an “Asset class” as usual. Then click “Done.”

Then go the “Security List” and click once on your new security (“Vanguard S&P 500 Fund_IRA”). Then select “Edit.”

On the next screen, enter the Ticker symbol in the “Symbol” block and make any other desired changes, perhaps “Tax free” for an IRA and “Other info” to get to the “Investing goal” block, etc.

When you are done with those selections, after clicking twice on “OK” you will be able to select the option to “Merge quotes” from the previous security with the same ticker but a different name.

One wrinkle with this workaround is that sometimes downloaded transactions will have the wrong name; that is, the transaction in the IRA account will show the security name for the taxable account. Then I have to edit that transaction manually, but that only takes a few seconds.

I hope this works for you.
Thanks very much; I’ll report back once I’ve tried it.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
J G Bankerton

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by J G Bankerton »

bertilak wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:51 pm
bertilak wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:42 pm My Citi card stopped working for a day or so then started working again with no action on my part -- other than to retry occasionally.
Stopped working again tonight:
  • OL-332-A
    Your logon information in Quicken is incorrect.
Worked on a retry then failed again on another retry.
Then worked again on yet another retry.
That is one of the error codes I go. Quicken gets confuses over the name. Do you have an AT&T Universal card by any chance?
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

J G Bankerton wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:32 pm
bertilak wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:51 pm
bertilak wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:42 pm My Citi card stopped working for a day or so then started working again with no action on my part -- other than to retry occasionally.
Stopped working again tonight:
  • OL-332-A
    Your logon information in Quicken is incorrect.
Worked on a retry then failed again on another retry.
Then worked again on yet another retry.
That is one of the error codes I go. Quicken gets confuses over the name. Do you have an AT&T Universal card by any chance?
Yes and no. There is an AT&T card in Quicken but it was last used in 1996 and is not enabled for download. I doubt it has anything to do with errors downloading my CIti card.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Citi Card once again causing trouble in Quicken. Error message for past two says says my Citi logon data in Quicken is wrong.

It is not. It is some confusion between Quicken and Citi. Once again I have double-checked everything and it is all configured properly. I can log on directly with the same info I have in Quicken, and I have made no changes since it was working a few days ago.

This has always resolved itself in the past but it is annoying.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 pm I modified the logo to put a simple colored square over the Fidelity ad. Works fine. However, I may have overachieved. :)

=============
For the software crowd:

An old developer's trick is to use the file timestamp as a version number. Or, the timestamp might be checked to see if the file has changed. How do I know? I used to do that myself.

Google is your friend - "Win 10 change file timestamp powershell".

First, I made a copy of the image. Then, I set the timestamp to match the original file so I had an exact copy.*

After modifying the image, I modified the timestamp to match the original file.

This is all based on an assumption that Quicken won't simply overwrite the file after the next upgrade. Or, that Quicken might do a CRC / MD-5 sum on the file itself. In either case, modifying the timestamp won't work - but it was fun to try.

* There are 3 attributes: CreationTime, LastAccessTime, LastWriteTime - Be sure to modify all of them.
Quicken updated this morning. My modified logo survived (remained unchanged).

===================
On the transaction side, I've been asked to authorize Capital One access every time I update my transactions. I authorize, get an error, then an email saying I've authorized account access. Repeat ad-nauseum.

Also, my Capital One credit card is alternating being off by $0.01 whenever I reconcile. I adjust my balance by $0.01 to reconcile the account, then remove the $0.01 the following week - when it's off by $0.01 in the opposite direction. (I check Quicken weekly.)

After the update, the displayed balance was off by $0.01 in the reconciliation balance screen. However, the account reconciled with no adjustments. Go figure. I'll see what happens when I update Quicken next week.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 pmQuicken updated this morning. My modified logo survived (remained unchanged).
I was waiting to see if it would be wiped out in an update. You figured it out. Cool! :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

TimeRunner wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:58 pmQuicken updated this morning. My modified logo survived (remained unchanged).
I was waiting to see if it would be wiped out in an update. You figured it out. Cool! :beer
My modified logo survived the "update". The only thing I kept the same was the file name. I didn't touch the other Wells Fargo image files in the folder as they never appear in Quicken.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

bertilak wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:06 pm Citi Card once again causing trouble in Quicken. Error message for past two says says my Citi logon data in Quicken is wrong.

It is not. It is some confusion between Quicken and Citi. Once again I have double-checked everything and it is all configured properly. I can log on directly with the same info I have in Quicken, and I have made no changes since it was working a few days ago.

This has always resolved itself in the past but it is annoying.
This happens every now and then with my Citi Cards. And it happened again starting about the time yours stopped working. Today, the 3rd day of not working, I did what I always do... I have found that entirely disconnecting the Citi card account from Quicken and then re-connecting it will fix the problem. Not just a RESET. I delete the linkage and recreate it. When you recreate it, you can choose to LINK to the existing Quicken account. This way you do not create a new Quicken account. However, when you re-link it, it will also redownload about 90 days of transactions, most of which you probably have already downloaded when the linkage was originally working. So I just go thru the downloaded transactions and delete each of them. I am careful to verify it is not needed. There may be a few in the last few days that you actually wish to Accept, since you may not have already downloaded them previously.

I have 2 Citi card accounts and I did this for both of them this morning. After doing that, subsequent downloads have worked fine.

By the way, I also did the relinkage while signed into my Citi account online in my web browser. I don't know if this was required or not. I was sitting on the screen that shows Citi-authorized linkages to desktop applications. You can access this page from your Account Settings in your browser. The reason I did this, is because I think Citi moved to a method where when you initially set up Quicken Linkage, you had 10 minutes complete the linkage after entering the info. I didn't do anything in my browser this morning. I was just sitting there, signed in. In case Citi used that as permission to do the linkage from the Quicken side.

I've had to do this entire process 2 times in the last 6 months or so. I suspect it triggers when Citi does some form of reset/restart of something on their side. But who knows.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

After the "upgrade", I had Citi errors twice. I clicked the button and it worked after each incident.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 pm I have found that entirely disconnecting the Citi card account from Quicken and then re-connecting it will fix the problem.
Just worked for me. Thanks!

I wonder how long it will last.

I also did a "super validate" after disabling the downloads and before re-enabling them. It found no errors.

As part of re-setting things up Quicken download a whole lot of existing transactions and called them "new" instead of "match." I deleted them from the list of downloaded transactions -- a little tedious.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 pm This way you do not create a new Quicken account. However, when you re-link it, it will also redownload about 90 days of transactions, most of which you probably have already downloaded when the linkage was originally working.
I get that too; I'm not using cash unless absolutely necessary now so I get more double transactions than ever before. I wish there was a way to select more than one entry to delete.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:21 pm
PaunchyPirate wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:32 pm I have found that entirely disconnecting the Citi card account from Quicken and then re-connecting it will fix the problem.
Just worked for me. Thanks!

I wonder how long it will last.

I also did a "super validate" after disabling the downloads and before re-enabling them. It found no errors.

As part of re-setting things up Quicken download a whole lot of existing transactions and called them "new" instead of "match." I deleted them from the list of downloaded transactions -- a little tedious.
More on this ...

Citi tech support says they are aware of the situation and put me on the list. I expect them to get back to me when resolved.

Upon re-establishing my Citi download in Quicken (as recommended by PaunchyPirate) I noticed it hooked me up with Web Connect instead of Direct Connect. I decided to leave things this way until Citi gets back to me. (I'm guessing the problem is only with Direct Connect.)
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

J G Bankerton wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:54 pm I wish there was a way to select more than one entry to delete.
I established a little rhythm between mouse-click on delete and press enter to confirm, or something like that. I walked through it fairly quickly.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:30 pm Upon re-establishing my Citi download in Quicken (as recommended by PaunchyPirate) I noticed it hooked me up with Web Connect instead of Direct Connect.
I just noticed I was changed to Web Connect; last time I had problems I had to change to Direct Connect to get Citi to download. Oh bother.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:37 pm
J G Bankerton wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:54 pm I wish there was a way to select more than one entry to delete.
I established a little rhythm between mouse-click on delete and press enter to confirm, or something like that. I walked through it fairly quickly.
This is how you can most efficiently delete multiple transactions. I found these instructions when I needed to do some cleanup a while back. To test this out without risk just add a few dummy transactions at the end of the CC register and then mass delete them. I of course would always recommend a backup before doing any major cleanup including just using the repetitious approach.

1 Launch the Quicken application.

2 Highlight the account that contains the transactions you want to delete from the account register on the left side of the window.

3 Click anywhere in the first transaction row that you want to delete.

4 Hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on the other transactions you want to delete.

5 Click the "Edit" menu at the top of the screen and choose the "Delete" option.

6 Select "Enter" to confirm your decision to delete the group of transactions.

Cheers
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Silk McCue wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:45 pm
This is how you can most efficiently delete multiple transactions. I found these instructions when I needed to do some cleanup a while back. To test this out without risk just add a few dummy transactions at the end of the CC register and then mass delete them. I of course would always recommend a backup before doing any major cleanup including just using the repetitious approach.

1 Launch the Quicken application.

2 Highlight the account that contains the transactions you want to delete from the account register on the left side of the window.

3 Click anywhere in the first transaction row that you want to delete.

4 Hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on the other transactions you want to delete.

5 Click the "Edit" menu at the top of the screen and choose the "Delete" option.

6 Select "Enter" to confirm your decision to delete the group of transactions.

Cheers
That's after the transaction was accepted. I have a very hard time getting Quicken to agree with what I have online, especially after I accept transaction that doesn't agree with what is. Hopefully I won't have to do a mass delete for a few months at least.
The Big Apple

Post by The Big Apple »

Are you on the subscription version of Quicken, running Release R27.20 (US Versions, June 2020) or later? This was supposed to have been an improvement:
Improved: To help when you have multiple duplicate transactions, you can now delete multiple transactions in the Compare to Register window.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The Big Apple wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:13 pm
Are you on the subscription version of Quicken, running Release R27.20 (US Versions, June 2020) or later? This was supposed to have been an improvement:
Improved: To help when you have multiple duplicate transactions, you can now delete multiple transactions in the Compare to Register window.
I'm on the subscription version but I didn't notice that! Next time.

What would be even better is if it could recognize duplicates that are matches so we wouldn't have to delete anything. Even with the advertised improvement it is still a slightly error prone process.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:30 pm Upon re-establishing my Citi download in Quicken (as recommended by PaunchyPirate) I noticed it hooked me up with Web Connect instead of Direct Connect. I decided to leave things this way until Citi gets back to me. (I'm guessing the problem is only with Direct Connect.)
Well, Citi never got back got back to me but I decided to re-configure my online connection anyway and it put me back at direct connect. Seems to be working OK.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bertilak wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:23 pm
bertilak wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:30 pm Upon re-establishing my Citi download in Quicken (as recommended by PaunchyPirate) I noticed it hooked me up with Web Connect instead of Direct Connect. I decided to leave things this way until Citi gets back to me. (I'm guessing the problem is only with Direct Connect.)
Well, Citi never got back got back to me but I decided to re-configure my online connection anyway and it put me back at direct connect. Seems to be working OK.
[ quote fixed by admin LadyGeek]

When I went to the online configuration setup it told me there was a better way and offered to let me set that up.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Quicken doesn't do wash sails. Do I have to go back and enter past sales manually? If so I can see this being a big bother as I have quite a few. Vanguard had no problem correcting for the wash.

My totals are good it is the percent gain/loss that is incorrect. :x
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

Does Quicken 2019 (or later) still work after the subscription expires? I do manual entries. I understand that the online connectivity may be cut off if the subscription expires.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

Raraculus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 pm Does Quicken 2019 (or later) still work after the subscription expires? I do manual entries. I understand that the online connectivity may be cut off if the subscription expires.
If you are in the US of A and have other than basic Quicken you can manually enter transactions after the subscription expires. I don't know this from experience; that is what the TOS says.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

Can I buy a renewal on Amazon or eBay?
greyshark

Post by greyshark »

Raraculus wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:07 pm Does Quicken 2019 (or later) still work after the subscription expires? I do manual entries. I understand that the online connectivity may be cut off if the subscription expires.
You can do manual entries but there’s a large nag screen taking up the display asking you to resubscribe. They’ve complained in the Quicken forums but there doesn’t seem to be any changes coming.
GFD45

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward - Planner Question

Post by GFD45 »

Calling on all Quicken Gurus.

I've been using Quicken for a long time and I love the Life Planner component. I think I know the answer to this question but I'd like to have confirmation. The Life Planner has a "Rate Of Return" piece. Both pre and post retirement that you enter a percentage. This percentage should not include what you entered as the "Inflation Rate" right? So, for example, if I want a net rate of return of 4% and my inflation rate is set to 3%. I should put in 7% in for the "Rate Of Return". Correct? The help documentation doesn't make this clear, but logic tells me that this is how it works.

Thanks for your assistance.
GFD45
GFD45

Post by GFD45 »

GFD45 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:16 am Calling on all Quicken Gurus.

I've been using Quicken for a long time and I love the Life Planner component. I think I know the answer to this question but I'd like to have confirmation. The Life Planner has a "Rate Of Return" piece. Both pre and post retirement that you enter a percentage. This percentage should not include what you entered as the "Inflation Rate" right? So, for example, if I want a net rate of return of 4% and my inflation rate is set to 3%. I should put in 7% in for the "Rate Of Return". Correct? The help documentation doesn't make this clear, but logic tells me that this is how it works.

GFD45
I meant it SHOULD include. Sorry.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

GFD45 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:18 am I meant it SHOULD include. Sorry.
You can go back and edit your original post. Just click on the pencil icon at the top of the post and make your edit.

Cheers
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

The real Quicken Gurus are at https://community.quicken.com/. Perhaps they can help.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

GFD45
I would put 4%, on the report there is an option to show amounts in future value.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

GFD45
This should be very easy for you to test. Simply run two samples with the only change between the two being setting the inflation rate to 0 for the second run. The change in the results will provide you with your answer.

Cheers
LSLover

Post by LSLover »

bsteiner wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:33 pm Can I buy a renewal on Amazon or eBay?
Absolutely. Two caveats: 1) Pay attention to the expiration date of the renewal code. 2) You can’t extend your current subscription (using the purchased code) unless you are 6 mo (or less) away from the expiration date of the current subscription.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

greyshark wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:45 pm
You can do manual entries but there’s a large nag screen taking up the display asking you to resubscribe. They’ve complained in the Quicken forums but there doesn’t seem to be any changes coming.
This shows the private equity group that owns Quicken is not to be trusted. I wish I just kept the original Quicken. I smelled a rat when a new Quicken converted files so there was no going back.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

J G Bankerton wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:28 pm
This shows the private equity group that owns Quicken is not to be trusted. I wish I just kept the original Quicken. I smelled a rat when a new Quicken converted files so there was no going back.
Are you talking about years ago when they encrypted your files so you could not get get your own data?
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

bertilak wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:34 pm
Are you talking about years ago when they encrypted your files so you could not get get your own data?
I could get my data but I had to use the new Quicken, there was no way to convert the files back to the old format. This was when Microsoft Money was still a choice.

For me the newest Quicken doesn't do anything the original Quicken didn't. I didn't know about this nag screen, that is a bad sign.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Huh what are you talking about, they spell everything out pretty well. Other subscription based software services do the same...

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-qu ... -guarantee

he Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts, even after your subscription ends. As always, your Quicken data is stored on your local computer.

Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about our latest enhancements within the Quicken product.

Please note that the Quicken Data Access Guarantee is subject to all limitations and conditions outlined in the Terms of Use (U.S. or Canada) and End User License Agreement (U.S. or Canada). The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

With pretty much any software, you are buying a license and do not own the software. If you never upgraded/updated the software and kept your original data files there would be no nag screen. I don't know how realistic it is to buy a piece of software for $50 and expect to use it for 20 years. I am not defending Quicken as I have criticized them over the years and even on Bogleheads but I've tried to be pragmatic.
greyshark

Post by greyshark »

SimonJester wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:06 pm
Huh what are you talking about, they spell everything out pretty well. Other subscription based software services do the same...

https://www.quicken.com/support/what-qu ... -guarantee

he Quicken Data Access Guarantee means that whether you renew your subscription or not, you'll always have full access to and ownership of your data. You can view, edit, export, and manually enter transactions and accounts, even after your subscription ends. As always, your Quicken data is stored on your local computer.

Access to online services, such as transaction download, quotes, and mobile sync, along with access to Quicken Support, will end if your subscription does. We’ll continue to let you know about our latest enhancements within the Quicken product.

Please note that the Quicken Data Access Guarantee is subject to all limitations and conditions outlined in the Terms of Use (U.S. or Canada) and End User License Agreement (U.S. or Canada). The Data Access Guarantee applies to Deluxe and higher versions of Quicken; the Starter version will become read-only.
This problem is not the Data Access Guarantee - as promised you can use your data after your subscription expires. It’s that after expiration the software becomes much less usable because a significant percentage of your screen is taken up by an ad. That’s ridiculous and clearly meant to “force” people to renew.

Can you name other subscription based software that employs nag screens in the same way? Genuinely asking, would be interested to know if that’s true.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

greyshark wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 pm This problem is not the Data Access Guarantee - as promised you can use your data after your subscription expires. It’s that after expiration the software becomes much less usable because a significant percentage of your screen is taken up by an ad. That’s ridiculous and clearly meant to “force” people to renew.

Can you name other subscription based software that employs nag screens in the same way? Genuinely asking, would be interested to know if that’s true.
Almost all subscription based software packages will do this. Microsoft Office 365, all of the Adobe subscription products, several my DS uses for audio engineering, the list goes on.

Many subscription products wont even allow you to run the program in read only after the subscription expires you get a blocked access screen.

The fact that quicken allows you to use the product in read only mode is pretty generous compared to others...

This sort of goes back to the old days of freeware / shareware, in which you got a crippled version of the software for free and had to pay to unlock the features.

Buying a software application for $50 and using it for 20 years is just not a feasible business model, especially when you have bank grade security controlled data servers involved in the application.

Am I happy quicken wen tot a subscription model, for me its mixed, Now I get regular updates, but I have to pay ~$4 per month...
greyshark

Post by greyshark »

SimonJester wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 am
greyshark wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 pm This problem is not the Data Access Guarantee - as promised you can use your data after your subscription expires. It’s that after expiration the software becomes much less usable because a significant percentage of your screen is taken up by an ad. That’s ridiculous and clearly meant to “force” people to renew.

Almost all subscription based software packages will do this. Microsoft Office 365, all of the Adobe subscription products, several my DS uses for audio engineering, the list goes on.

Many subscription products wont even allow you to run the program in read only after the subscription expires you get a blocked access screen.

The fact that quicken allows you to use the product in read only mode is pretty generous compared to others...

This sort of goes back to the old days of freeware / shareware, in which you got a crippled version of the software for free and had to pay to unlock the features.

Buying a software application for $50 and using it for 20 years is just not a feasible business model, especially when you have bank grade security controlled data servers involved in the application.

Am I happy quicken wen tot a subscription model, for me its mixed, Now I get regular updates, but I have to pay ~$4 per month...
The difference between Office and Quicken is Microsoft tells you up front that the software will be unusable upon expiration. If Quicken tried that with their software no one would have subscribed - hence the data access guarantee. I’d also argue if they advertised their use of a nag screen they’d have lost subscribers too. It’s predatory - you should be transparent with what you’re offering.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Can you export your data out of Quicken 2019 once your subscription ends? (Just curious, no plan to not renew at this point.) You could always export all your data with some planning BEFORE the subscription ends.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:10 pm With pretty much any software, you are buying a license and do not own the software. If you never upgraded/updated the software and kept your original data files there would be no nag screen. I don't know how realistic it is to buy a piece of software for $50 and expect to use it for 20 years. I am not defending Quicken as I have criticized them over the years and even on Bogleheads but I've tried to be pragmatic.
I guess it is a millennial thing. My 60 year old rotary phone still works. All of my DOS programs still work on my 486 computer. My Photoshop CS6 works great so does Microsoft Office 2016; both are the last perpetual license software.

We used to upgrade software because the new software had something the old one did not. Quicken is the same as it was 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kYfsP_WKLY
TimeRunner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 pm Can you export your data out of Quicken 2019 once your subscription ends? (Just curious, no plan to not renew at this point.) You could always export all your data with some planning BEFORE the subscription ends.
Export it to what? It can only be used on the subscription Quicken. There is no going back. I'm amazed at what people will put up with today, I guess they get used to being treated like the people they give their money to are doing them a favor.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

J G Bankerton wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:31 pm
TimeRunner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:43 pm Can you export your data out of Quicken 2019 once your subscription ends? (Just curious, no plan to not renew at this point.) You could always export all your data with some planning BEFORE the subscription ends.
Export it to what? It can only be used on the subscription Quicken. There is no going back. I'm amazed at what people will put up with today, I guess they get used to being treated like the people they give their money to are doing them a favor.
Someone who pays for subscription Quicken and then intends to drop the subscription intends to no longer use it. They can export their accounts to QIF format and there is other software (e.g. Moneydance) that will import it. There is also QIF to CSV converter software so the data can be used in Excel or Google Sheets. I was interested in knowing if the Quicken File Export to QIF function was available to the user once the subscription ends - more out of curiosity than need.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:54 pm
Someone who pays for subscription Quicken and then intends to drop the subscription intends to no longer use it. They can export their accounts to QIF format and there is other software (e.g. Moneydance) that will import it. There is also QIF to CSV converter software so the data can be used in Excel or Google Sheets. I was interested in knowing if the Quicken File Export to QIF function was available to the user once the subscription ends - more out of curiosity than need.
I tried to export it to Moneydance. It was a mess. I paid $40 for it too. If I was starting new I would chose Moneydance over Quicken but I'm 20 years too late for that.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Is anyone else having the issue that when they do a One Step Update it doesn't download stock quotes? It is checked in the settings and says it on the screen but just doesn't do it most of the time since the last update. When I do the manual update (from the portfolio view) it works fine.
J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:04 am Is anyone else having the issue that when they do a One Step Update it doesn't download stock quotes? It is checked in the settings and says it on the screen but just doesn't do it most of the time since the last update. When I do the manual update (from the portfolio view) it works fine.
That happens to me all the time with one step update. With manual update it works once or twice then it doesn't work. It appears Quicken is limiting the times one can do an upstate.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

TimeRunner wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:54 pm
Yes, I've exported my data to QIF after my 2016 version expired. QIF is a text file so you can easily read it any text editor. The problem is it's not in a table format so it's very hard to import into a spreadsheet. You will need a program/script to import QIF.

After I manually cleaned up the QIF file for my spreadsheet, I found a different way, which is not advertised. Instead of File>Export, create a report of all the transaction of an account. Then you can save the report as a CSV file. The caveat is you need to do this one account at a time.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

acegolfer wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:18 pm I found a different way, which is not advertised. Instead of File>Export, create a report of all the transaction of an account. Then you can save the report as a CSV file. The caveat is you need to do this one account at a time.
Very good find!

I just hope I never have to go through that! Splits and investment accounts could be tricky to deal with.

P.S. I was offered a Excel format output but not CSV. Not a problem -- just thought I'd mention it. Excel will convert to CSV if you really want that, for example to put it into a database program.
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

bertilak wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:12 pm P.S. I was offered a Excel format output but not CSV. Not a problem -- just thought I'd mention it. Excel will convert to CSV if you really want that, for example to put it into a database program.
You may be right. I haven't used Quicken for more than 1 yr.
jajlrajrf

Post by jajlrajrf »

J G Bankerton wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 pmI tried to export it to Moneydance. It was a mess. I paid $40 for it too. If I was starting new I would chose Moneydance over Quicken but I'm 20 years too late for that.
Just pick a date to do the cutover; anything pre-that date is in Quicken, anything post that date is in Moneydance (or whatever else you're using; I did this when migrating to Gnucash.). It's even easier if you can do the cutover on January 1st, but honestly how often do you REALLY need to find out how much you paid for a Toro lawnmower in March of 2003?