MINT Software Or Other For Budgeting/Tracking

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
JustWantToGetItRight

MINT Software Or Other For Budgeting/Tracking

Post by JustWantToGetItRight »

How do you all track budgets and other stuff like that? This has been a major pain for me over the years. I tried Mint, but not sure it is for me.

I felt there was too much going on in Mint for me to make sense of it. Also, Somehow I feel a little strange about other people having all of my account info (screw they could get hacked).

I usually like customized system I develop. You know, make a basic Excel budget, try to be conscious about what you spend each month, pay myself first in retirement accounts, log onto to Vanguard and check my other investments....BUT never to the point of obsessing over every penny.

Thought on this?
bloom2708

Re: MINT Software Or Other For Budgeting/Tracking

Post by bloom2708 »

Personal Capital has worked well for us. 3.5 years. 0 hacks.

You will get a call. I talked to my rep once and said I was a DIYer.

Is PC perfect? Nope, but it does exactly what I need and the price is right. I do not invest with Personal Capital. I just use their aggregation app.

Do you have to track everything? No. Can you use Excel? Yes.

Our personal information is everywhere. If I will log in to my bank or Vanguard or Fidelity or <insert site here>, then I'm not sure why people are so scared of aggregators. There is much risk everywhere you turn.

Tracking your full net worth increases your net worth by 10-20% (I read it on the interweb so it must be true). :wink:
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
nolesrule

Post by nolesrule »

I use YNAB for budgeting.

I use Google Sheets to aggregate my investment data. It does not require frequent updating.
chw

Post by chw »

Used mint for a few years, but found it to be "buggy" at times. Became concerned over time about account security because of having to give up passwords to my accounts in order to get download updates to the software.

Switched to simply doing a download quarterly into Excel from the handful of financial accounts that I have. From there simply categorize expenses as I want them which takes less than an hour each quarter. Much easier than Mint, and don't have to worry abut hackers getting access to my passwords should Mint have a security breach;.
Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch »

Quicken for Mac here. I change my financial institutions passwords every 60 days or so.
jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness »

Have used Mint for years now.

has some glitches at times
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I don't need budgeting, but I do like account aggregation. That has some risk if you use a third-party service, but in spite of that I was using Fidelity's Full View. That's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Are there any stand-alone program (preferably free) that allow you to do the sort of account access and aggregation that Yodlee etc. does? I don't mean manually putting in shares and having a ticker look-up.
mighty72

Post by mighty72 »

nolesrule wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:42 am I use YNAB for budgeting.

I use Google Sheets to aggregate my investment data. It does not require frequent updating.
+1
I am doing exactly the same thing.
Madbull

Post by Madbull »

viz wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm

+1
+2, YNAB all the way.
10.06am

Post by 10.06am »

Madbull wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:02 pm
viz wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:59 pm

+1
+2, YNAB all the way.
Same. I've been using YNAB for a few years. Tried Mint and PC but liked YNAB the best.
Topic Author
JustWantToGetItRight

jehovasfitness wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm Have used Mint for years now.

that is what happened to me....glitchy....it still had numbers for accounts I closed.
Topic Author
JustWantToGetItRight

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:48 pm I don't need budgeting, but I do like account aggregation. That has some risk if you use a third-party service, but in spite of that I was using Fidelity's Full View. That's a bit of a mess at the moment.

Are there any stand-alone program (preferably free) that allow you to do the sort of account access and aggregation that Yodlee etc. does? I don't mean manually putting in shares and having a ticker look-up.
Hi Earl,

To see aggregate investments accounts, Vanguard allows you to connect all your accounts (including outside accounts). Pretty simple....If I have any doubts, then I just log onto my other accounts individually....

I don't really need to see anything else.....Or am I missing something?
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

JustWantToGetItRight wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:12 pm To see aggregate investments accounts, Vanguard allows you to connect all your accounts (including outside accounts). Pretty simple....If I have any doubts, then I just log onto my other accounts individually....

I don't really need to see anything else.....Or am I missing something?
You have to give your login information to a third party. This is the same as Full View and probably the Schwab aggregator. I asked about programs, not services. I don't have a Vanguard account anyway.
MnyGrl

Post by MnyGrl »

I have used Mint for years. If you feel uncomfortable entering account numbers for your investment accounts, know that you don't have to. You can enter each one as property in Mint, then just update them manually every once in a while. I just go in once a month and update the numbers.

You can also name the accounts anything you want, so no one can get any sensitive information from you. Your Fidelity IRA could be named anything - just call it "F-IRA" or whatever you like.

I have my checking account and a couple of credit cards actually hooked up to Mint so I can see the transactions, but since I keep very little in checking I don't see it as a huge issue.
Beach

Post by Beach »

YNAB, but we have the old version and don't pay anything. Not sure I would pay for service now.
Amphian

Post by Amphian »

Beach wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:23 pm YNAB, but we have the old version and don't pay anything. Not sure I would pay for service now.
Ditto. I love the old, but the new is missing basic features - like being able to see more than one month at a time.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (budget).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
camillus

Post by camillus »

Beach wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:23 pm YNAB, but we have the old version and don't pay anything. Not sure I would pay for service now.
YNAB FTW. I had YNAB 4 and used to say the same as above and I was like :annoyed

Now I have the web based YNAB with auto import and I'm like 8-)
51% US / 34% ex-US / 15% “bond”
climbhigh

Post by climbhigh »

Excel. Its fully customizable - you can set it up literally any way that you want. It isn't "buggy" - you can see all the formulas and calculations so if something isn't right its easy to figure out why. Its secure - it doesn't link to my online accounts. And spreadsheets are portable - so if you don't want to pay for Excel (or if Microsoft went out of business) then you can just use a different spreadsheet software and never miss a beat.

My wife and I sit down once a week and type in all of our transactions into the excel sheet - it takes about 10 mins and requires us to systematically address every single purchase we made. Nothing is hidden.
CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 »

I do not budget but I track my spending to the last cent (as instructed by Mr. Joe Dominguez) using an android app. I punch in the amount and a short two-word expense detail whenever I spend money. It automatically adds categories and allows me to export data to excel, which I do every month end. It is the single most important factor in positively improving my finances.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

JustWantToGetItRight wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:08 pm
jehovasfitness wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:38 pm Have used Mint for years now.

that is what happened to me....glitchy....it still had numbers for accounts I closed.
+1. Mint for 6 or 7 years now and I no longer count on it. My accounts seems to come and go. Security has gotten tighter for the linked accounts so it seems like more accounts fail to update than actually update whenever I log in.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"