Another should i buy my dream porsche thread...

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Another should i buy my dream porsche thread...

Post by Pcarfan911 »

Looking to spend about 100k on a new 911. Can i afford it? Would you do it? Not lookin no to buy outright but finance the car.

I am 39 years old.
Income about 250k per year. (Just for a big raise last year)
140k liquid savings
250k in retirement
400k equity in the home (currently worth around 900k)
401k maxed out
Ira maxed out

Monthly expenses for me including house is 5k per month.

Wife makes about 90k
we have a 10 month old son, college is on a 529.

only debt is 490k mortgage at 3.25% fixed. House will be paid off in 3 years. We only have 1 car which the wife pays for.
Last edited by Pcarfan911 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SmileyFace

Re: Another should i buy my dream porsche thread...

Post by SmileyFace »

Any kids / college expenses?
(I personally see $100K and think - "Gee - that's 4 years of college").
Last edited by SmileyFace on Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

1 - 10 month old baby. College is on a 529 plan.
fantasytensai

Post by fantasytensai »

You are literally the person that Porsche targets for their products. So, yeah.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

"Can i afford it?", yes

"Would you do it?", no

"House will be paid off in 3 years." - irrespective of the $100k Porsche purchase?

So will you assume a car note, or buy the Porsche outright? Will you take the $100k from the $140k liquid assets?
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

neilpilot wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:41 pm "Can i afford it?", yes

"Would you do it?", no

"House will be paid off in 3 years." - irrespective of the $100k Porsche purchase?

So will you assume a car note, or buy the Porsche outright? Will you take the $100k from the $140k liquid assets?
Great questions. House will be paid off in 3 years Porsche or not. I would be taking out a loan for the Porsche and paying it off early after the house is paid off so only taking about 10k for the down payment from the 140k liquid.
chevca

Post by chevca »

Yes, you can afford it.

No, I wouldn't do it..... But, only because I'm not a Porsche guy. :happy I have two fun cars though, so I vote yes because I have the same problem.

Realize this is not the place to ask this question though. You will get many answers saying, no.

YOLO
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Retirement savings seem very light for your age. I would wait on the Porsche.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

Why not start with a used car? Could go 5-10 years and get a nice enthusiast car for $30-40K, or a 3-4 year old certified car for $45-55K I would imagine.

I've learned that I enjoy a used car as much as a new one, if not more; takes a little bit of the angst of the first rock-chip/door-ding away, and you save a considerable amount of money!

For half of what you want to spend, you could get the infamous 996 Turbo and have a lot more fun :). But I imagine a nice 997 911s can be had for half as well, and give you some more modern amenities.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

chevca wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm Yes, you can afford it.

No, I wouldn't do it..... But, only because I'm not a Porsche guy. :happy I have two fun cars though, so I vote yes because I have the same problem.

Realize this is not the place to ask this question though. You will get many answers saying, no.

YOLO
Yep ! All the Finance blogs say no, all the Porsche guys say do it ! First world problems !
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

Will a 100k car make you happy? Happier than 100k worth of travel? Charity? Time (closer to FIRE)?
Etc?

Up to you, don't need our permission.
To each their own. I see no utility in a sports car (where does all the camping gear go?) and would rather put that money towards an early retirement. Some people value item more than time, though.
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:45 pm

For half of what you want to spend, you could get the infamous 996 Turbo and have a lot more fun :).
996 TT and lots of fun for a lot less. It is through depreciating and will most likely go up in value. Considering one myself, but DW says I have to sell '65 corvette first...darn.

Bill
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:45 pm Why not start with a used car? Could go 5-10 years and get a nice enthusiast car for $30-40K, or a 3-4 year old certified car for $45-55K I would imagine.

I've learned that I enjoy a used car as much as a new one, if not more; takes a little bit of the angst of the first rock-chip/door-ding away, and you save a considerable amount of money!

For half of what you want to spend, you could get the infamous 996 Turbo and have a lot more fun :). But I imagine a nice 997 911s can be had for half as well, and give you some more modern amenities.
I am looking used. 2017 991.2 MSRP of 115k, asking 104k. 2k miles on it with 6 year CPO warranty.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Anxious to see what the feedback is for this thread. If you are buying a 911 brand new it sounds like you are getting a Carrera. I would consider getting a used Porsche so you get more bang for your buck. Maybe a used 911 turbo can be had for the same price or cheaper.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Personally I wouldn't do it until my mortgage was paid off AND my children's college was fully funded in 529 (both the one you have and any future ones you might have planned). And actually, even then - I would want more in taxable savings than you have (would want to be close to FIRE).
But that's me....what you want to do it up to you. If you feel secure in your job then you can afford it.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

remomnyc wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:44 pm Retirement savings seem very light for your age. I would wait on the Porsche.
Good advice. Once the house is paid off my mortgage payment will go towards investments / retirement. Only 3 years from now.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

If you must ask, it's better to wait.

The joy of anticipation never ends; actual ownership is another story.

I don't exactly regret my Porsche, but the thrill of ownership after three years isn't so intense. There are downsides too. Like where to park and the jealousy from people you need to deal with.

Keep playing on the configurator and hold out for a 992!
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

gator15 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 pm Anxious to see what the feedback is for this thread. If you are buying a 911 brand new it sounds like you are getting a Carrera. I would consider getting a used Porsche so you get more bang for your buck. Maybe a used 911 turbo can be had for the same price or cheaper.
Looking at a used 2017 911 S. 2k miles on it CPO warranty 6 years / 100k miles.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

Cyclesafe wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:58 pm If you must ask, it's better to wait.

The joy of anticipation never ends; actual ownership is another story.

I don't exactly regret my Porsche, but the thrill of ownership after three years isn't so intense. There are downsides too. Like where to park and the jealousy from people you need to deal with.

Keep playing on the configurator and hold out for a 992!
Spent more time on the configurator than i care to admit hahaha !
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Bogleheads Used vs. New Porsche Debate?
The only correct answer is a used Camry/Accord :mrgreen:
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

Alexa9 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:07 pm Bogleheads Used vs. New Porsche Debate?
The only correct answer is a used Camry/Accord :mrgreen:
Great reply ! Made me LOL.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

You can afford it.

I wouldn't and didn't buy such a car until I could very comfortably pay cash.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

remomnyc wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:44 pm Retirement savings seem very light for your age. I would wait on the Porsche.
+1 You have a great income. Is it fairly recent? If not, you are an "under accumulator" of wealth based on the Millionaire Next Door.

Pay cash for the best $30k Porsche you can find. If not, pass.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:13 pm
+1 You have a great income. Is it fairly recent? If not, you are an "under accumulator" of wealth based on the Millionaire Next Door.

Pay cash for the best $30k Porsche you can find. If not, pass.
Yes. Just started making 250k last year. Before that i was making 160k for some time.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

OP,

I recommend you watch this video. It came out a year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuVUOB6D6-w

I say get yourself a 991, but look for a clean, used 991.1 that's already passed the steepest portion of the depreciation curve.
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

aleman78 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 pm
MotoTrojan wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:45 pm Why not start with a used car? Could go 5-10 years and get a nice enthusiast car for $30-40K, or a 3-4 year old certified car for $45-55K I would imagine.

I am looking used. 2017 991.2 MSRP of 115k, asking 104k. 2k miles on it with 6 year CPO warranty.
Bit different part of the depreciation curve than I had in mind. This is for all purposes a new car.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

Yes you can afford it. No I wouldn't buy it. This coming from someone that has wasted a lot of money on expensive cars. I enjoyed them at the time but in hindsight (I'm 10 yrs older than you) I'd rather have invested that money.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

You're only young once. Just don't get into a crash.

You could save about $35k and get a BMW M4. It is no slouch.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

I would say you are definitely enough behind in retirement that I would skip the Porsche, skip the house payoff, and go straight to taxable investing. If you do this, you could have another $500k in taxable investments in 3 years and I would give you the GREEN LIGHT to buy whatever $100k car you had your sights on. I have been there (PCar), got the TShirt and sold it all within 1 year. I say you will end up doing it just because you can afford it, but I would say you should NOT do it. Personally, was not worth it to me. I am not a status symbol kind of guy and hated driving my 996TT through town at 25mph everywhere. It was definately the most beautiful thing I have (will have) ever owned, but I get much more pleasure out of driving a slower car fast than a faster car slow :D .

Also consider if this is going to be a 3rd car, just upgrading the DD to a nice used $60k Panamera and pay in cash. What is your DD? What is your spouse's DD?

Dont know if this is against the rules but: http://www.isringhausen.com/Inventory/2 ... leID/17735

Last point: If I was in the market for a $100k Pcar under warranty, GT4! (If not under warranty - 997.1 GT3)
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.
bgf

Post by bgf »

aleman78 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:33 pm Looking to spend about 100k on a new 911. Can i afford it? Would you do it?

I am 39 years old.
Income about 250k per year.
140k liquid savings
250k in retirement
300k equity in the home
401k maxed out
Ira maxed out

Wife makes about 90k
we have a 10 month old son, college is on a 529.

only debt is 490k mortgage at 3.25% fixed. House will be paid off in 3 years. We only have 1 car which the wife pays for.
net worth of $690k, nearly half of which is tied up in the home.

liquid financial assets of $390k, a portion of which i am assuming includes your emergency fund.

contemplating purchase of a depreciating asset of ~$105k.

looks like a pretty clear 'no.'

i think people are getting thrown by your high income. your net worth, including home equity, is barely 2x your income. at 39 that is a low multiple.

perhaps im overly conservative, but id say wait until you have 7 figures liquid before popping off in a $100k car...

to put it bluntly, if you buy the porsche now, you are 'signalling' that you are wealthier than you actually are.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

Why do you want this car? Serious question.
ohai

Post by ohai »

Hi, OP. I would not even think of paying $100k for a car with those numbers. The lost returns on capital would be too great to give up for the sake of indulging some potential midlife crisis.

Another poster made quite a good suggestion of finding value from the depreciation curve. If it were me, rather than buying a brand new money sink, I'd look at the very reliable 997 model Carreras, which are much cheaper, and in my opinion, much cooler as well.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I'm in the yes you can afford it but no way should you spend such a huge percentage of your wealth on such a depreciating asset. BTW, what is your goal for this car? Is it to drive fast on the highway? Is it to look good? To take to a road course and drive at your limits?

BTW, I am a car guy, my dream car is a Mclaren MP4-12C and its newer brethren. I am a few years older than you and our household income is more than yours and I would not be dropping $100k on a vehicle. I did drop $65k on a brand new car 5 years ago and take it to a race track (road course) 2-4 times a year. I honestly regret buying new and should have bought 3 years used. Today the car is worth under $30k. The consumables are also very expensive on this German auto and I am considering getting a $30k dedicated race car that will cost less on the brakes/rotors/tires. Over these 5 years I have also learned that it makes very little difference what I drive to work every day.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
onourway

Post by onourway »

Your income might justify it to many, but your overall assets are low relative to that income, especially the retirement fund. I would be mentally ear-marking a good portion of those liquid funds as retirement so they don't get spent down on purchases like this one.

The other thing to consider is that a $100k car bought now could cost you ~3 years of additional work as you near retirement age. Not a great trade-off, IMO (and I say this as a car enthusiast).
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Don't buy a new 911, you will get killed on depreciation. Buy a 2012-2014 991S for $60-85k, their value is holding strong and probably will for a long time since they are the last of the NA engines. I bought a 2012 991S last June for $58k and I could probably sell it now for $65-70k.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Until you have 7-figures in liquid investments not counting a savings account, I don't see a reason to buy a Porsche.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
visualguy

Post by visualguy »

Been there, done that, and regretted it, but sometimes the only way to get it out of your system is to do it.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

There are way better specs/lower prices out there. I see a 2017 991.2S in the Rennlist classifieds with $137k sticker asking $98k right now. I'd suggest you start doing your research here - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/

In particular, check out the "hot for sale" thread and keep on top of it, the good deals go real fast.
hilink73

Post by hilink73 »

chevca wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm

YOLO
As a 911 guy, have a Yes! from me.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

All great feedback thanks guys. For those who asked i have always been a car guy. Its my only vice. My last car was a 1965 Backdraft Cobra. Before that had M4 and Z4m Coupe. Sold the Cobra when the baby arrived. I am all for saving for the future. My father was the same way. Saved all his life for retirement and never bought the Range Rover he wanted. Next thing you know died at 62 with a ton of money in the bank. Tomorrow is not promised my friends. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Personally i would rather enjoy my life a little bit more now than save save save and have a million bucks more when i'm 67, (if i even make it there). Saw and old man next to me at the gas station last week getting out of a 911 turbo. I asked him how he liked it. He said he hated it and only bought it because he had always wanted one. He said he would have bought it when he was much younger and would have been able to enjoy it that much more. I guess its all about perspectives and what is truly important to the individual. Thank you all for taking the time to provide valuable insight.
Last edited by Pcarfan911 on Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

kerplunk wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:44 pm You're only young once. Just don't get into a crash.

You could save about $35k and get a BMW M4. It is no slouch.
Already had an M4. P Car is next on the food chain.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

hilink73 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:24 pm
chevca wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:43 pm

YOLO
As a 911 guy, have a Yes! from me.
YOLO
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

BruDude wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:19 pm

There are way better specs/lower prices out there. I see a 2017 991.2S in the Rennlist classifieds with $137k sticker asking $98k right now. I'd suggest you start doing your research here - https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/

In particular, check out the "hot for sale" thread and keep on top of it, the good deals go real fast.
Will check these out as well but the 991.2 with the turbo motors are monsters.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

aleman78 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:35 pm

The sound of the 991.1 is so much better though....and they've already depreciated. Try driving a 991.1S with an xpipe on it =)

You could get a 991.1 GTS for $100k, hell even the 991 turbos are creeping into that range...
bgf

Post by bgf »

aleman78 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:30 pm All great feedback thanks guys. For those who asked i have always been a car guy. Its my only vice. My last car was a 1965 Backdraft Cobra. Before that had M4 and Z4m Coupe. Sold the Cobra when the baby arrived. I am all for saving for the future. My father was the same way. Saved all his life for retirement and never bought the Range Rover he wanted. Next thing you know died at 62 with a ton of money in the bank. Tomorrow is not promised my friends. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Personally i would rather enjoy my life a little bit more now than save save save and have a million bucks more when i'm 67, (if i even make it there). Saw and old man next to me at the gas station last week getting out of a 911 turbo. I asked him how he liked it. He said he hated it and only bought it because he had always wanted one. He said he would have bought it when he was much younger and would have been able to enjoy it that much more. I guess its all about perspectives and what is truly important to the individual. Thank you all for taking the time to provide valuable insight.
if this is your perspective on life, then you don't really have a choice.

what others on here have tried to do is provide financial advice based on the numbers you provided us. if you are looking at this as some 'actualization of a life well lived while young' and not a financial calculation, then there is really no point in you asking the board whether you should do it or not.

just go buy it.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

bgf wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:53 pm
aleman78 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:30 pm All great feedback thanks guys. For those who asked i have always been a car guy. Its my only vice. My last car was a 1965 Backdraft Cobra. Before that had M4 and Z4m Coupe. Sold the Cobra when the baby arrived. I am all for saving for the future. My father was the same way. Saved all his life for retirement and never bought the Range Rover he wanted. Next thing you know died at 62 with a ton of money in the bank. Tomorrow is not promised my friends. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Personally i would rather enjoy my life a little bit more now than save save save and have a million bucks more when i'm 67, (if i even make it there). Saw and old man next to me at the gas station last week getting out of a 911 turbo. I asked him how he liked it. He said he hated it and only bought it because he had always wanted one. He said he would have bought it when he was much younger and would have been able to enjoy it that much more. I guess its all about perspectives and what is truly important to the individual. Thank you all for taking the time to provide valuable insight.
if this is your perspective on life, then you don't really have a choice. you have to buy the porsche. and then the next thing... and the next.

what others on here have tried to do is provide financial advice based on the numbers you provided us. if you are looking at this as some 'actualization of a life well lived while young' and not a financial calculation, then there is really on point in you asking the board whether you should do it or not.

just go buy it.
x2. I am also a "car guy". I went through the same progression -> C6 vette -> M3 -> 991, no regrets. 991 holding value, it's like driving it for free. Just do it, once the idea is planted in your head it's already done.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

BruDude wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:51 pm
aleman78 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:35 pm

The sound of the 991.1 is so much better though....and they've already depreciated. Try driving a 991.1S with an xpipe on it =)

You could get a 991.1 GTS for $100k, hell even the 991 turbos are creeping into that range...
Agreed 100%. 991.2 needs exhaust work bad !
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

if this is your perspective on life, then you don't really have a choice.

what others on here have tried to do is provide financial advice based on the numbers you provided us. if you are looking at this as some 'actualization of a life well lived while young' and not a financial calculation, then there is really no point in you asking the board whether you should do it or not.

just go buy it.
And that is exactly what I asked the question for. I wanted to get different opinions from different people that may (or may not) influence my decision.
Topic Author
Pcarfan911

Post by Pcarfan911 »

BruDude wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:55 pm
if this is your perspective on life, then you don't really have a choice. you have to buy the porsche. and then the next thing... and the next.

what others on here have tried to do is provide financial advice based on the numbers you provided us. if you are looking at this as some 'actualization of a life well lived while young' and not a financial calculation, then there is really on point in you asking the board whether you should do it or not.

just go buy it.
x2. I am also a "car guy". I went through the same progression -> C6 vette -> M3 -> 991, no regrets. 991 holding value, it's like driving it for free. Just do it, once the idea is planted in your head it's already done.
I like the way you are thinking ! Thanks again.
FlyOverState

Post by FlyOverState »

I'd consider a 2003 or 2004 GT3. Under budget and they have already bottomed out on price.
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState