Credit Freeze affects SSA online account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cheapedy

Credit Freeze affects SSA online account

Post by cheapedy »

Helpfull information for all those that have frozen their credit. I froze my credit with the five agencies over the last few days due to the Equifax breach. The
last step was to create my online Social Security Association account, but I was denied. The web page instructed me to call a number and speak with an
agent in order to resolve this. I was told by the agent that in order to process the online application, it has to go through..... EQUIFAX! I told her I had just
recently frozen all my accounts. She informed me that I need to visit my local SSA office and verify my identity. Once verified, they will provide me with
information to establish my online account.

So make sure to do this first, then freeze your accounts. On the bright side, this prevents the fraudsters from using our info to open these SSA accounts online.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Credit Freeze affects SSA online account

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

I don't believe what you've written is completely correct. Let me offer up why I think that's the case and perhaps what might be going on.

I froze my credit with all three agencies a couple of years ago. Since then I've gotten my annual notice to check my SSA account and I've had no problems being able to do so.

That being said, SSA requires you to change your password every 6 months.
So if you're only checking your SSA statement once yearly, you will have to go through the process of choosing a new password just to be able to access your statement (every single year you will need to go through this regardless of whether your credit is frozen or not).

Could that be what you're referring to (not being able to access your account)? Could you be confused? Because I've had no problems as I say and my credit is frozen.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

cheapedy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pm Helpfull information for all those that have frozen their credit. I froze my credit with the five agencies over the last few days due to the Equifax breach. The
last step was to create my online Social Security Association account, but I was denied. The web page instructed me to call a number and speak with an
agent in order to resolve this. I was told by the agent that in order to process the online application, it has to go through..... EQUIFAX! I told her I had just
recently frozen all my accounts. She informed me that I need to visit my local SSA office and verify my identity. Once verified, they will provide me with
information to establish my online account.

So make sure to do this first, then freeze your accounts. On the bright side, this prevents the fraudsters from using our info to open these SSA accounts online.

Same here. They're frozen and so no access to SSA site. We discovered this at least 5 years ago. We just don't use the site. No big deal for us.
keith_h

Post by keith_h »

I can confirm as well this is true.I froze all credit yesterday, just attempted to create a SSA account with no luck.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm I don't believe what you've written is completely correct. Let me offer up why I think that's the case and perhaps what might be going on.

I froze my credit with all three agencies a couple of years ago. Since then I've gotten my annual notice to check my SSA account and I've had no problems being able to do so.

So if you're only checking your SSA statement once yearly, you will have to go through the process of choosing a new password just to be able to access your statement (every single year you will need to go through this regardless of whether your credit is frozen or not).

Could that be what you're referring to (not being able to access your account)? Could you be confused? Because I've had no problems as I say and my credit is frozen.
I have the same story as arcticpineapplecorp. Froze credit a couple years ago and have checked SS annual statements online just fine ever since, having to change password of course.

However, I believe the OP is talking about a different situation, namely having frozen credit BEFORE the FIRST time one accesses the social security statement online.

I personally had already accessed my SSA Online account before freezing my credit, so I'm not having problems with it. It sounds like freezing credit before opening the SS account causes problems.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Ice-9 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:25 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:57 pm I don't believe what you've written is completely correct. Let me offer up why I think that's the case and perhaps what might be going on.

I have the same story as arcticpineapplecorp. Froze credit a couple years ago and have checked SS annual statements online just fine ever since, having to change password of course.

However, I believe the OP is talking about a different situation, namely having frozen credit BEFORE the FIRST time one accesses the social security statement online.

I personally had already accessed my SSA Online account before freezing my credit, so I'm not having problems with it. It sounds like freezing credit before opening the SS account causes problems.
I'm not sure this is accurate. Clark Howard says about Credit Karma...if you want to access Credit Karma do so BEFORE you freeze your credit not after (you'll have to pay to thaw it to access credit karma then).

I can see why this is true of credit karma because they're pulling your credit from one of the major bureaus. But that's not at all what happens when you log in to SSA.gov. SSA is not pulling anyone's credit reports. So why would this explain going to SSA.gov before locking one's credit? Doesn't follow logically.

Anyone else care to confirm or deny?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Doesn't make sense to me why they would do that either, but...

Prominently on the SSA website right now:
Posted September 8, 2017: Although we sometimes use Equifax to help verify your identity when setting up a my Social Security account, Social Security never shares Social Security numbers with Equifax. For concerns regarding the Equifax data breach, please contact Equifax directly at 866-447-7559 or www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.
So, apparently they "sometimes" check Equifax to verify identity when setting up the account.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:32 pm
Ice-9 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm not sure this is accurate. Clark Howard says about Credit Karma...if you want to access Credit Karma do so BEFORE you freeze your credit not after (you'll have to pay to thaw it to access credit karma then).

I can see why this is true of credit karma because they're pulling your credit from one of the major bureaus. But that's not at all what happens when you log in to SSA.gov. SSA is not pulling anyone's credit reports. So why would this explain going to SSA.gov before locking one's credit? Doesn't follow logically.

Anyone else care to confirm or deny?
The SSA site uses credit information as part of the identification process when signing up. So what the OP is saying makes sense, if credit is frozen, then can't access the credit info used as part of the identification process.

The first time I tried to sign up with SSA it rejected me, because it asks questions about creditors, and it isn't always terribly obvious who the final creditor is - it won't say the card, it will say some bank or financial institution you may have never heard of.
Artsdoctor

Post by Artsdoctor »

Yes, you will not be able to use your SSA if you have not used it before you freeze your credit account.

If you've accessed your SSA account in the past prior to the freeze, you'll be able to get in.

If you want a copy of your social security earnings each year to verify that it's correct, you can either unfreeze your credit account or simply have them mail you a hard copy via USPS.
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

cheapedy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pmI froze my credit with the five agencies over the last few days due to the Equifax breach.
Equifax, Experian, TransUnion, Innovis, and . . . who would be the 5th?

Thanks.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Just want to point out that SSA is not the only organization to use credit agency information to verify identity.

For instance, my bank uses either a code and a telephone call to me OR questions from information from a credit reporting agency to verify my identity when logging in. If you don't have identification for whatever reason (lost, stolen, forgot) and need to fly, the TSA verifies your identity with credit bureau information. Basically, anytime you are asked a series of questions that only you are supposed to know as a form of identification, such as past addresses, streets near where you live or lived, whether you have ever had a mortgage, etc., those questions are drawn from information provided by a credit reporting agency.

With all that information in the hands of parties even more irresponsible than the credit reporting agencies, that is no longer reliable. Unexpected problems could occur at any time in the future.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Pajamas wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:09 pm Basically, anytime you are asked a series of questions that only you are supposed to know as a form of identification, such as past addresses, streets near where you live or lived, whether you have ever had a mortgage, etc., those questions are drawn from information provided by a credit agency.
This is one of the reasons I consider it to be an inconvenience to freeze credit even if you do not plan on taking out a loan. Want to order an IRS transcript online...unfreeze credit. Need to access a turbotax online return and you've changed devices and phone numbers...unfreeze credit. Want to claim a small life insurance payout by phone instead of snail mail...yes, unfreeze credit. The balance between convenience and security is getting harder to deal with.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

The OP is talking about first time creation of an online account (never logged in). You are talking about returning to an online account.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

Posted September 8, 2017: Although we sometimes use Equifax to help verify your identity when setting up a my Social Security account, Social Security never shares Social Security numbers with Equifax. For concerns regarding the Equifax data breach, please contact Equifax directly at 866-447-7559 or www.equifaxsecurity2017.com.
Social Security gave Equifax your SS number in order to check your ID. If governments are using Equifax this explains why no one ever goes to jail.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

beardsworth wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:59 pm
cheapedy wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:43 pmI froze my credit with the five agencies over the last few days due to the Equifax breach.
Equifax, Experian, TransUnion, Innovis, and . . . who would be the 5th?
ChexSystems.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
youdiditr2

Post by youdiditr2 »

Do you have to unfreeze all 3 or just Equifax? They told me I have to go in person. I rather unfreeze my account than waste an entire work day at SS

This is what they told me when I tried to login

We will not be able to verify some people through our verification process when they try to establish a “My Social Security” account. To get a personalized online Social Security Statement, people age 18 and older must provide information about themselves that matches information that we already have on file. In addition, we use Equifax, an external authentication service provider, for additional verification. People must provide their identifying information and answer security questions in order to pass this verification. The identity check is an important part of this new strict verification process.

If you are unable to create or encounter a problem with your “My Social Security” account, you may visit a local office or call 1-800-772-1213. This issue cannot be addressed in this forum.

You can obtain the location and other information about your local Social Security office by calling our toll-free telephone number or by accessing the following Internet address:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/locator
SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence »

I am currently drawing my SS benefit. I created a SSA online account to prevent ID theft but have logged on only once since setting it up, that was before I froze my credit several years ago.

I cannot see why I would ever want to visit again. Can someone give me a good reason why I would want to go to that site? I do occasionally go to the Medicare site, it's slightly more useful.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

SittingOnTheFence wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:19 am I am currently drawing my SS benefit. I created a SSA online account to prevent ID theft but have logged on only once since setting it up, that was before I froze my credit several years ago.

I cannot see why I would ever want to visit again. Can someone give me a good reason why I would want to go to that site? I do occasionally go to the Medicare site, it's slightly more useful.
Two possible reasons:
1. you want to change your direct deposit bank/institution
2. there is a statement of income available that you can print out, if for example you are applying for something that requires verification of income
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:42 pm
Social Security gave Equifax your SS number in order to check your ID. If governments are using Equifax this explains why no one ever goes to jail.

Just to be clear, people go to jail for identity theft all the time. The feds even have a special statute called "aggravated identity theft" where you get two extra consecutive years in prison (on top of what you get for the underlying offense) if you use another person's identity during a federal fraud offense. It's the penalties for companies who store and don't protect information that are lacking.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Artsdoctor wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:51 pm Yes, you will not be able to use your SSA if you have not used it before you freeze your credit account.

If you've accessed your SSA account in the past prior to the freeze, you'll be able to get in.

If you want a copy of your social security earnings each year to verify that it's correct, you can either unfreeze your credit account or simply have them mail you a hard copy via USPS.
Agree with this. Froze my credit reports a year ago. Just logged into the SSA web site - no issues. It did ask me to add my cell for two factor authentication, which I did. However, one set up I got in no problem.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

Rupert wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 amJust to be clear, people go to jail for identity theft all the time.
I'm talking about the money changers. They never go to jail, in fact they get bailed out.
arcticpineapplecorp.

investor4life wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:25 pm Straight from the horse's mouth: https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/kbanswe ... ionID=3871
thanks. that was what I was looking for. I stand erected.