Social security: restricted application and spousal benefits

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
ccf

Social security: restricted application and spousal benefits

Post by ccf »

There are lots of great threads on this topic and I thought that I understood it but reps at the SS office keep telling my mother in law "no" and I want to make sure that I am correct.

* she was born before January 2, 1954 (1951)
* is currently full retirement age
* has a spouse who is collecting benefits

so she should be able to file a restricted application and receive her spousal benefit, right? Then she can let her own benefit grow until she is 70?

She has been told, more than once, that she can't because her spousal benefit (50% of spouse's) is less than her own benefit.
neilpilot

Re: Social security: restricted application and spousal benefits

Post by neilpilot »

Has she tried filing on line, restricted to spousal only? Sometimes the reps are not that well trained, but if she applies online at least she will have her application in the system.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

ccf wrote:There are lots of great threads on this topic and I thought that I understood it but reps at the SS office keep telling my mother in law "no" and I want to make sure that I am correct.

* she was born before January 2, 1954 (1951)
* is currently full retirement age
* has a spouse who is collecting benefits

so she should be able to file a restricted application and receive her spousal benefit, right? Then she can let her own benefit grow until she is 70?

She has been told, more than once, that she can't because her spousal benefit (50% of spouse's) is less than her own benefit.
What is her birthday?
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

ccf wrote:but reps at the SS office keep telling my mother in law "no" and I want to make sure that I am correct.
You are correct. There is a thread somewhere about how to make a restricted application online. If the reps are not up to speed, then perhaps an online application will be the path of least resistance.

--vtMaps

edit:
see this post:
viewtopic.php?t=131533#p1953392

and see this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=212579
Historical Fact: Justin Smith Morrill represented Vermont in congress, had a dog named 'Trump', and wrote legislation establishing the Land Grant Colleges.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

I am currently FRA and collecting on my spouse's record. Mine will be more when I do take it. I went into the office. We were told you can't do it online. Best thing is to go to SS website to find the info to show them in the office why they are wrong. When signing up for Medicare at 65 I was given wrong info even though I told them they were wrong. They printed out info which showed I was correct but they still said I was wrong. (it was about what month it would start based on when I was applying). I knew I was right so I took my chances and of course it all started when I thought it would. Your MIL does not have that luxury so have her go armed with the info from their own site.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

I applied online recently. The online form will have you input all the information they need to determine your eligibility. Toward the end of the form once you have entered information about marriage it lets you know if you are eligible for a spousal Benifit. If your eligible, then the form has a box for you to check letting them know if you want your own benefit or a spousal benefit. I am the same age as your mother in law. It only took ten days from applying online and my first check being deposited in my checking account.
Topic Author
ccf

Post by ccf »

Thank you everyone!