How did you do your income taxes?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
petulant

Re: How did you do your income taxes?

Post by petulant »

This year I used freefillableforms to save money. In the past I used taxslayer.
catdude

Post by catdude »

TaxAct. My taxes are fairly simple... a handful of 1099's, a W-2 for life insurance coverage from my old employer... I filed in early February and got my refunds (fed & state) direct-deposited in about two weeks. Piece of cake.
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
egoldstein

Post by egoldstein »

TurboTax Home and Office version, including Schedule C. I'm surprised at how many pages it generates.
cookieid

Post by cookieid »

I use excel spreadsheet that I created yrs ago then fill out tax form by hand and mail it. Each yr I update this spreadsheet if there are changes to tax code. There was time I tried both 1040 and 1040ez to see if the final numbers are the same. Turned out that I would pay more tax if filing 1040ez so since then I always use 1040 with schedule A instead of standard deduction. I think my state offer free online filing but I prefer to do it by hand. I was thinking about using tax software or filing online to see how it's like but don't feel comfortable putting my ss# there.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

Free download of Turbo Tax Premier from Fidelity. Free Fed e-file and one state e-file for $20. Previous two years I had used TaxAct.
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

1040 and schedules, by hand. I do have a spreadsheet that I copy over every year and update to assist.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

TaxAct for past few years and will use TaxAct again this. They had a promotion this week for TaxAct Premier Federal + 1 State for $10. So good to be a procrastinator.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

I have a guy. CPA.

Friend-of-a-friend rate of $100 that includes preparation and filing for Federal/State/City, a nice large folder with copies of everything for us, and a bottle of water. Plus I can call him for advice anytime I have a question throughout the year. Good dude.

W-2s, Schedule C, 1099s, tuition deductions...our returns aren't terribly complicated...but slightly more-so with the Schedule C.

None of it is rocket science and I could certainly do it myself...but the $100 is very worth it for my time savings and piece of mind.
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

guitarguy wrote:I have a guy. CPA.

Friend-of-a-friend rate of $100 that includes preparation and filing for Federal/State/City, a nice large folder with copies of everything for us, and a bottle of water. Plus I can call him for advice anytime I have a question throughout the year. Good dude.

W-2s, Schedule C, 1099s, tuition deductions...our returns aren't terribly complicated...but slightly more-so with the Schedule C.

None of it is rocket science and I could certainly do it myself...but the $100 is very worth it for my time savings and piece of mind.
And he is there should you ever be audited...l

gasdoc
2Much2Save

Post by 2Much2Save »

TurboTax Home & Business CD version from Costco. I like the much easier manual access to all tax forms.

I even used it to prepare my California 568 LLC return for my fee-only financial planning practice.

You can’t file a California LLC return electronically with TurboTax. TurboTax will however prepare the correct forms. You can print and mail it as long as you file a business entity e-file waiver request with the state.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

gasdoc wrote:
guitarguy wrote:I have a guy. CPA.

And he is there should you ever be audited...l

gasdoc
Absolutely...that was roped in with "piece of mind" for sure! 8-)
MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor »

TurboTax Premier bought from Amazon in November 2016 for $69.86. I had some large capital gains and needed to make a state estimated tax payment in December. TurboTax was a great help.

I've used TurboTax since at least 1992. Back in those days I printed our tax returns on a dot matrix printer. What a pain! (To which the younger generation asks... What's a dot matrix printer? :( )
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.
dave_k

Post by dave_k »

CPA - partner in a firm specializing in businesses and business owners. He also does my business partner's and our company's taxes, so he can analyze and optimize scenarios looking at the big picture between corporate and personal taxes. Also with multiple K-1s, rental real estate, AMT, etc., it's definitely worth paying him to deal with it all, and he's always available to answer (or confirm answers I found to) various tax questions as they relate to our situation.
donaldson

Post by donaldson »

I am guessing that most people on this site will be over the income limit ($64,000), but I used the service below from United Way to get full access to H&R Block online and file my federal/state returns for free. That was something like an $80 savings from the equivalent version of Turbotax that I needed last year.

http://www.unitedway.org/myfreetaxes/
mikep

Post by mikep »

Taxact for $10. Tried Freetaxusa after the taxact price hike, but they couldn't do a simple adjustment code for capital gains, so back to taxact. Caught the $10 deal after I filed and got refunded.
blueman457

Post by blueman457 »

Turbotax Deluxe Download.
CPA last year.
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

pay CPA $250 - no state tax in Florida
For years some complicated business and personal issues. Past that now, may go back to doing it myself. Best pro benefit is keeping taxes at zero as we do RMD & appropriate Roth conversions
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

H&R Block download 10/28/2016, probably premium and definitely a renewal customer offer, $35.94
CA (they don't call it the golden state just for the sunshine, we pay!) efile $19.95.

I thought that was pretty good, have not found a free file service that can handle 1099-R, Rollovers, capital gains etc etc. So I pay. I model it for planning purposes 5 years out in Excel...

Total about $56.00
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
soccerrules

Post by soccerrules »

Turbo Tax
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Tax Act. Fed + State came to $26.95. I know there a lot of variance in amounts paid. That seems "reasonable" to me. Having my previous year information default in saves me a bunch of time.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

TaxAct online for Federal & State eFiling.

Total cost of $10.
Last edited by runner3081 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

I use the H&R Deluxe software to do my taxes. I get the software for free through Military OneSource.
Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 »

Through 1998: by hand
1999-2004: Entered into PDF file, printed, and mailed (simple years)
2005-2010: TurboTax Online
2011-2016: TaxAct Online

Next year, I am planning to just do the Fed with TaxAct and then, with my Fed PDF as a reference, try the State of Maryland's iFile for free. It is nice and convenient to automatically transfer Fed information to State taxes with a couple clicks on TaxAct, but I'm thinking my taxes won't be $15 worth of nice and convenient next year.

If I really feel like it, I may even give freetaxusa a whirl for the Federal, at either $0 or $6.99 with tech support.
hudson

Post by hudson »

H&R Block 2016 Deluxe Federal + State: Direct download from H&R Block for $31.98 in late October.
I needed to get it as soon as it was available in order to run the numbers.

I couldn't find a way in the Deluxe Edition to do a "capital loss carryover". Maybe next year I need to go to Premium?
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

hudson wrote:H&R Block 2016 Deluxe Federal + State: Direct download from H&R Block for $31.98 in late October.

I couldn't find a way in the Deluxe Edition to do a "capital loss carryover". Maybe next year I need to go to Premium?

So how did you do the loss carryover? Manual override? Years ago went from hand written to something like Turbo, and now a CPA
Following this thread to find a good source if I ditch the CPA
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

gasdoc wrote:CPA

Gasdoc
Ditto. My wife and I consider it a perk of having good jobs.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

I'm not sure of the true costs of Turbotax + DW who is an accountant.
That is how we do our income taxes.
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 »

DaftInvestor wrote:
John151 wrote:I sold shares of one of my Vanguard funds, so I needed to file a Schedule D. That meant using the online version of TurboTax Premier at a cost of $54.99 for my federal return, and $36.99 for my state return. Total cost: $91.98.
You could have saved a few dollars if you bought the CD from Amazon. It is $51 (for Premier version) and INCLUDES 5 Federal e-file returns. Filing state costs another $25 for a total cost of $76. BUT with the CD you can load on multiple computers and use the software for additional returns provided the additional returns are in the immediate family (per license agreement). Thus - you can share the cost with other family members if desired.

This is what I did - I bought the CD (and used it with additional family members).

It doesn't make sense that buying a CD is cheaper than a download or on-line version but it is.
my laptop doesn't even have a cd drive :oops:
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

John151 wrote:I asked this question last year, and I’ve decided to ask it again: If you’ve done your income taxes, how did you do them? Did you do them by hand? Did you have a paid preparer do them for you? Or did you use computer software, and, if so, which software package did you use?
Previously used H&R block and averaged about $350 a year paying them.

This year used TurboTax Premiere as it was a free download for Fidelity customers. Included one free state and federal filing. eFile charge if filed online, or print out for free and mail it in. Covered our return, as well as both of our children's returns. Now that the learning curve of using it is under our belts, probably give it a go next year as well.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

TurboTax Premier free from Fidelity. I printed and mailed the state return, like a barbarian.
hudson

Post by hudson »

S&L1940 wrote:
hudson wrote:H&R Block 2016 Deluxe Federal + State: Direct download from H&R Block for $31.98 in late October.

So how did you do the loss carryover? Manual override? Years ago went from hand written to something like Turbo, and now a CPA
S&L1940, I didn't need to do a "capital loss carryover" for 2016. I will need it for 2017. I was just playing with numbers. I found a discussion somewhere that said that there was a way to do it inside the software...a work-around...but I couldn't duplicate it. I may call H&R Block support and ask.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

In the past for 30 years I did my taxes by hand on paper, then the internet and Turbotax did not exist, and everything worked out fine too. Though in 1987 I had a CPA do the taxes because I moved from Mass. to NY and sold a house in Mass.
From 2000 to 2012 I used Turbotax plus did it by hand as a checkup, doing IRS and NY state taxes.
From 2013 on I only do my taxes by hand on paper. I got annoyed about all those unnecessary questions Turbotax was asking, And my taxes rarely change between years because my income is steady in retirement.
Next year I might do it again with Turbotax to see, if it still agrees with my manual calculation. We also gave gifts to my son above the max of 14,000 per person requiring a new form for gift registration.
letsgobobby

deleted

Post by letsgobobby »

deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

S&L1940 wrote:

If you used HRB last year, the carryover values will be there.

If you start a new return (no prior data imported), there is a menu item under Income that will get you to the point you can enter in carryover values.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
hudson

Post by hudson »

jebmke wrote:
S&L1940 wrote:

If you start a new return (no prior data imported), there is a menu item under Income that will get you to the point you can enter in carryover values.
Thanks Jebmke! Both hints will help me!
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Just like last year:

Federal: FreeFillableForms.

State: Pen and paper.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

TurboTax. The ability to access accounts at Scottrade, Vanguard, etc. is a real time-saver. Very efficient response from IRS this year as a refund hit our account in approximately five days.

Tim
GKSD

Post by GKSD »

Turbotax online - Self-Employed version (Personal and Business Income/Expenses). Paid $106 including e-filing State. Next year I am planning to move to desktop version (CD/download) - it seems that will work out to be about $20 cheaper and has more features like forms-mode plus can be used year long for tax planning/estimated tax computations.
yangtui

Post by yangtui »

Turbotax desktop version on sale at Staples. It pulled in all of my payroll and investment data automatically; no manual data entry at all. Once installed it took about ten minutes to complete and e-file my returns. I also made two extension payments to meet minimum spend requirements for a couple of CC bonuses. Ended up generating more in bonuses than I paid in state taxes for the year. :moneybag
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

I have used Turbotax for 10+ years. E-file the Federal return and mail-in the state return.
averageJoe

Post by averageJoe »

Ex IRS Auditor & CPA....$400, picks up and delivers to home.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

Used H&R Block 2016 Deluxe Federal + State...... direct download from H&RB. I always get it early and don't worry about paying the full $45 price.

For security, I do all manual data input and file paper returns with paper check payments. We quit E-filing many years back. Certified mail plus a return receipt cost $7 per return at the post office a few minutes away.

I will never ever believe some mailman stealing my 1040 envelope is remotely as likely as being one of millions of electronic returns hacked in a huge batch from somewhere at or on the way to IRS.
JW
Retired at Last
rabbitrun

Post by rabbitrun »

I have been using my group's CPA who charges a ton ($1500). I don't believe my taxes are that complicated, but there are a few K-1s, which is probably what scares me into not doing them myself. The cost is really bothersome, however, and hopefully next year I can sort it out on my own with some tax software and the past two years returns.
ClaycordJCA

Post by ClaycordJCA »

DetroitRick wrote:TurboTax Premier $58 (sale on Amazon back on Jan 3) - Federal + Federal Efile + State
Plus another $20 for state efile.
+1. I've used Turbo Tax for the last six years. I might save a few bucks by using other software, but I am familiar with Turbo Tax and find it fairly easy to use (which is very important to me), it copies necessary information from last year's returns, it downloads investment info from Fidelity with no errors, and the IRS and CA FTB have not contacted me. What's not to like? :D
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

TheTimeLord wrote:
gasdoc wrote:CPA

Gasdoc
Ditto. My wife and I consider it a perk of having good jobs.
Been there, tried that....

Perhaps because of my early plans to be a tax lawyer (and continued interest in that area), I had issues with a prominent regional CPA firm doing our taxes. We had the good jobs part. They didn't really come through with what I thought was good strategy/tactics on taxes. Granted, that was in the early 90s. Maybe I would think differently today, but was spending more time on double checking their stances and debating the differing circuit court of appeals rulings with them than just doing it myself. (And, yeah, I override and work around the tax software at times.)
Edit Signature
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

freefilefillableforms.com, at least to fill in the forms and check the calculations. But filing them---I kept getting a set of Business Rule errors (IND-193, IND-194, IND-199, IND-200, IND-201). The IND-201 was supposedly a software error, but the applied fix didn't. So I printed the forms (20-some pages) and mailed them in. The 10-day processing turned into 30, but finally approved.
hudson

Post by hudson »

jebmke wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:32 pm
S&L1940 wrote:

Jebmke, You were on target FOR MY 2016 RETURN...thanks again! NOW IT"S 2017 TAX TIME and I'm still searching for the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet. It would have been nice if HR Block made it easy to find, but it was there all along...just not idiot proof.

In the 2017 HR Block Deluxe version, I kept looking for the Capital Loss Carryover Worksheet. I used HR Block Deluxe's search tool and couldn't find it. Finally I found it.
If anyone is looking for it: Go to Forms and select SCHEDULE D...not the sub-items underneath but SCHEDULE D
You won't get the pretty IRS form but the internal HR Block Worksheet
Scroll to the bottom for CAPITAL LOSS CARRYOVER WORKSHEET. At the bottom of the worksheet..."Long Term Capital Loss Carryover to 2018."

Therefore, Just like jebmke said, yes HR Block Deluxe is all one needs to do Capital Loss Carryovers; It does automatically carry it over to the next year....but the worksheet is hard to find.