Relocating from NY to CA for a job offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
adptnt

Relocating from NY to CA for a job offer

Post by adptnt »

Hello,

I was recently approached and interviewed with a Company in Silicon valley. The base pay is essentially the same as I am making now but the bonus and equity are a real kicker. Now I know those 2 are not necessarily a guarantee, but I feel like it could be an exciting opportunity for the family (wife + kids). We currently live in NY and would be relocating to Northern California. Base pay would be roughly $180K. I am a bit jittery given the significant housing costs in the Nor Cal region of our great country. The job is exactly what I am doing now in NY and right up my alley and I feel like it would give a lot more credence to my resume down the road (if I ever come back to NY) while picking up some great experience given the growth of the potential new employer. The 401K match and health benefits are also excellent. My biggest concern is the housing/renting situation in a good school district. Looking at some houses in Nor Cal, they seem to be about 75-100% more than the price of comparable homes here in Westchester/NY/Long Island area. Any thoughts or advice from the forum would be appreciated.

Thank you.
livesoft

Re: Relocating from NY to CA for a job offer

Post by livesoft »

I used to live on Long Island. The homes in Northern California were not more expensive than those where I lived. Perhaps, you are upgrading your housing situation?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

(Disregard)
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
mikep

Post by mikep »

disregard. Misread post
Last edited by mikep on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jane1

Post by jane1 »

With all the other long-term career advantages, go for it.

With 180K base, great benefits and bonus/equity, you would be fine. If you may want to move back to NY at some point, renting would be good option.
Where in Silicon Valley? In good school districts, you would be looking at about 4-5k per month in rent for a decent (by Bay Area standards) apartment or smaller outdated house for family of 4.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Does your wife currently work in NY?

Hopefully you will have time to enjoy the many beautiful places in the west while you work in Silicon Valley. You'll be surprised how many friends and acquaintances I have that live in Silicon Valley and have never visited places like Yosemite National Park. They are too busy at work or commuting to work. My brother, his wife and my brother in-law all work in Silicon valley and their commutes are about 2-3 hours a day.

I used to work in NYC and have lived in and around NY. Getting to work with subway, PATH, MetroNorth was easy. Mass transit in Silicon Valley is not nearly as good and you may find yourself spending many unproductive hours a day in your car.
Wiki
B3GINN3R

Post by B3GINN3R »

How old are you and how close to the top of the company would you be at your new job? Also, what is the salary that you would be getting in New York?
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

jane1 wrote:With all the other long-term career advantages, go for it.

With 180K base, great benefits and bonus/equity, you would be fine. If you may want to move back to NY at some point, renting would be good option.
Where in Silicon Valley? In good school districts, you would be looking at about 4-5k per month in rent for a decent (by Bay Area standards) apartment or smaller outdated house for family of 4.
Is this the norm for California? And is this within a reasonable commute to the Silicon Valley area?
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

B3GINN3R wrote:How old are you and how close to the top of the company would you be at your new job? Also, what is the salary that you would be getting in New York?
We are in our late 30s. I do not believe that there is much further potential (at least not for several years) to go to the top as the position is already at the higher end of my spectrum. However, I am fine with this as the work will still be rewarding and challenging. The salary is essentially going to be the same from NY to CA.

My biggest concern is that the housing costs are a lot more in CA vs. what I am currently paying now in NY and was wondering if that is the norm in Nor Cal.

Thank you.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

livesoft wrote:I used to live on Long Island. The homes in Northern California were not more expensive than those where I lived. Perhaps, you are upgrading your housing situation?

How long ago was this? I was surprised to see the home prices in Nor Cal in neighborhoods with solid school districts. I mean, for about 200-400 square feet more of living space it's about $300k-$400k more than a comparable home here in NY. It's a little daunting.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^The homes were I lived on LI are now selling for about $350 to $500 per square foot, so I guess that is one-third to one-half the $1000/sq ft you noted. What is special about them? Walk to beach? Water view? Much larger lot? Give me a ZIP code please.

And don't forget about property taxes. Ouch!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

livesoft wrote:^The homes were I lived on LI are now selling for about $350 to $500 per square foot, so I guess that is one-third to one-half the $1000/sq ft you noted. What is special about them? Walk to beach? Water view? Much larger lot? Give me a ZIP code please.

I know!!! Property taxes are also high in NY so I think it would be comparable to CA (I think). Some places that I were looking into included Dublin, Orinda, Walnut Creek - Places with excellent school districts. Lot sizes are not much bigger than the burbs in NY.

Any suggestions of places to look with good school districts and reasonable commuting distance to Silicon Valley area?
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Walnut Creek is a nice area, but you are probably talking about 50 min to an hour drive to Sunnyvale with no traffic and 90 to 120 minutes in rush hour. That's not what I'd consider a reasonable commuting distance.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

OP, which city/town will your new office be in? "Nor Cal" and "Silicon Valley" aren't specific enough for anyone to give you advice on where you might live.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

cadreamer2015 wrote:Walnut Creek is a nice area, but you are probably talking about 50 min to an hour drive to Sunnyvale with no traffic and 90 to 120 minutes in rush hour. That's not what I'd consider a reasonable commuting distance.
I agree.

I'd look south, maybe Morgan Hill area and near Caltrain. I would definitely explore with the employer commute options. Several of them have buses or have flexible hours.

FWIW I think it's wonderful to have both West and East Coast experiences. While we are all Americans, the culture on the West Coast is different. My parents were both New Yorkers and I found that as I grew older I was a pretty good translator for East Coast people moving to California. :wink:

Make sure you negotiate a good relo package. Employers here know about the housing challenge.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

Carefreeap wrote:
cadreamer2015 wrote:Walnut Creek is a nice area, but you are probably talking about 50 min to an hour drive to Sunnyvale with no traffic and 90 to 120 minutes in rush hour. That's not what I'd consider a reasonable commuting distance.
I agree.

I'd look south, maybe Morgan Hill area and near Caltrain. I would definitely explore with the employer commute options. Several of them have buses or have flexible hours.

FWIW I think it's wonderful to have both West and East Coast experiences. While we are all Americans, the culture on the West Coast is different. My parents were both New Yorkers and I found that as I grew older I was a pretty good translator for East Coast people moving to California. :wink:

Make sure you negotiate a good relo package. Employers here know about the housing challenge.
Carefreeap -

What is typical to negotiate in a relo package? Aside from moving costs and airfare for family to fly over what are some other things to think about? Temporary housing, closing costs? Do these employer's usually include those?

Thank you.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

Agreed, that does not sound like a commute that I'd enjoy. That said, are there places worth entertaining with shorter commutes and decent school districts?

Thank you.
btenny

Post by btenny »

OP. You need to tell us the exact location/town that you are going to be working in and the age and number of your kids. Only then can we give you good advice on housing and commuting and schools. Nor Cal and Silicon Valley are just too big and complex to guess about tradeoffs on locations to live.

Good Luck.
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

I've made a few threads on here about affordability for $1M home so I've received some feedback from the group here.

If you're in "Silicon Valley" I'm assuming the Company you are potentially working for is HQ'd in Mountain View, Palo Alto or San Jose.

If you're looking for "space" and a cheaper option, then look at areas in Morgan Hill as someone already suggested. Expect a 1-1.5 hour commute to those areas above though each way. Traffic in the Bay Area is horrible.

Areas such as Santa Clara/San Jose/Campbell are in the middle of Silicon Valley and won't break the bank entirely but you're going to be looking at spending at least $1M for a small old home in a good area.

Good luck!
happyhiker

Post by happyhiker »

Look in zip code 95124, specifically in the Union School District. Small homes can be had between 800K and 1M. You will suffer if you have to drive very far up the Peninsula but there are limited public transit options that may work depending on where you are going. Why don't you just tell us so we aren't giving this advice without knowing whether it has any value whatsoever? Also, if you buy, property taxes will be better than in NY from what I have seen in the NY Times real estate section. Between 1 and 1.2 percent of purchase price, depending on the add-ons. Good luck.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

btenny wrote:OP. You need to tell us the exact location/town that you are going to be working in and the age and number of your kids. Only then can we give you good advice on housing and commuting and schools. Nor Cal and Silicon Valley are just too big and complex to guess about tradeoffs on locations to live.

Good Luck.
For sure. Potential employer is located in Palo Alto. Only one wife (SAHM) and 2 kids (in Elementary school)! School district is important. Reality is setting in that housing within a 30 min commute may not be affordable. This is what is making the decision a bit tough for me. My commute to work currently is 1 1/2 hours long so anything at or less is viable although I would like to make it 60 mins tops with traffic if possible. I think my family would really enjoy the West coast based on our visits in the past.

Thank you.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

HardHitter wrote:I've made a few threads on here about affordability for $1M home so I've received some feedback from the group here.

If you're in "Silicon Valley" I'm assuming the Company you are potentially working for is HQ'd in Mountain View, Palo Alto or San Jose.

If you're looking for "space" and a cheaper option, then look at areas in Morgan Hill as someone already suggested. Expect a 1-1.5 hour commute to those areas above though each way. Traffic in the Bay Area is horrible.

Areas such as Santa Clara/San Jose/Campbell are in the middle of Silicon Valley and won't break the bank entirely but you're going to be looking at spending at least $1M for a small old home in a good area.

Good luck!
\Hard hitter - I will look at your posting and see if there are any takeaways that I can learn from. Appreciate the candid feedback.
westcoastinvestor

Post by westcoastinvestor »

What did you like about the west coast when you visited it? Working in Silicon Valley, especially during a boom, has its rewards. The downside is high housing costs. Everybody's situation is different, but I think kids are easier to relocate during the elementary school years.

If you are willing to endure an 1.5 hour commute one way, and pay up to a third of your gross income in rent, there should be many options to rent between San Francisco and San Jose. Renting might make sense to give you some time to figure out if the relocation is going to work and if so, where you would like to settle down.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

A good relocation package would include:

Paying all costs for selling your current home, including most importantly the brokerage commission
Normal closing costs on purchasing your new home (mortgage app fee, title insurance, etc.)
At least one house hunting trip for you and your spouse
Temporary housing for you and your family in your new location while your goods are in transit
Actual travel costs for you and your family from old home to new home
Gross up so there are no tax consequences to you

Not everyone gets this kind of relo package. I've gotten it once in 4 cross country moves. Sometimes the new employer will give you a budget: we will pay up to $X0,000 in relocation costs.
De gustibus non est disputandum
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

I moved from NY to CA 20 years ago, full relo package. I would _never_ move back to NY under any circumstances, life is so much better out here in every way. My next move may be ID, AZ or TX, but I'll never step foot in NY. California is wonderful! :beer

So I say go for it. Yes the bay area is expensive but you'll have more opportunity out here. Leaving the snowy East Coast is reason enough! (my wife loves snow, but she doesn't expect to shovel the snow herself :wink: )
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Pleasanton is about 45 minute to an hour commute and is one of the nicest cities in Nor Cal,next to Dublin.There is a 3 br townhouse 1725 sq ft for sale today that you could get for about 800K,asking 830 but overpriced.Very nice community surrounding a nice park.Walking distance to all schools and a very nice midwestern type downtown.Just an example for you because I looked at the open house today.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Walnut Creek is too far and too much traffic
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

cadreamer2015 wrote:A good relocation package would include:

Paying all costs for selling your current home, including most importantly the brokerage commission
Normal closing costs on purchasing your new home (mortgage app fee, title insurance, etc.)
At least one house hunting trip for you and your spouse
Temporary housing for you and your family in your new location while your goods are in transit
Actual travel costs for you and your family from old home to new home
Gross up so there are no tax consequences to you

Not everyone gets this kind of relo package. I've gotten it once in 4 cross country moves. Sometimes the new employer will give you a budget: we will pay up to $X0,000 in relocation costs.
+1

We didn't get the full relo package when we moved from the SF Bay Area to AZ but that's because we chose not to sell our Bay Area house. Ditto for when chose not to sell our AZ house when we relocated overseas.

Timing is also critical. If you have valuable skills and it's a hot market you can negotiate a good package. That's much harder in a recession.
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Teague

Post by Teague »

adptnt wrote: Is this the norm for California? And is this within a reasonable commute to the Silicon Valley area?
It's a really big and diverse state. The Bay Area is one extreme for housing cost. There are areas where you can have a 4 bedroom house in a decent neighborhood for $250k - and it can come with a couple of acres if you want. Or you could move to a house (more cabin really) in the mountains at 9,000 ft altitude and live in an alpine setting. I wouldn't suggest that one though unless you really like shoveling snow. Like, digging upward several feet to leave your home.
Semper Augustus
Dyloot

Post by Dyloot »

Congrats on the job offer!

Can you negotiate tele-commute days? If you can get some work-from-home time, it will improve your quality of life and may make a bad commute more palatable. Your position may require you to be at the office some of the time--but all?

I live 90 minutes to 2 hours from my Bay Area corporate office, but only go in a couple days a month. It has its advantageous and its drawbacks, but--honestly--I wouldn't have taken the job offer (60% more in salary/bonus, and much better benefits) without the WFH opportunity.

WebEx isn't nearly as good as an in-person meeting, but it's a hell of a lot better than driving 4 hours a day to see everyone in person. :D
TIAX

Post by TIAX »

What's the difference in total compensation between NY and CA including expected bonus, etc.?
sbaywriter

Post by sbaywriter »

Recent rental prices: Mountain View (next door to Palo Alto) - $3500 for 2 bedroom apartments, $4000 for 3 bedroom. But Mountain View has become Google City.

More on Morgan Hill as a possible place to live: I used to live in Morgan Hill and commute to Mountain View. Ugly commute in rush hour. Because we were cross-geo with India (12.5 hours difference) we had negotiable hours to make up for 8 pm meetings. I worked 10:30 – 7 or later to avoid the traffic. Off hour commute, it’s about 45 minutes, double that in rush hours (evening rush hour is 3 pm to 7 pm, hence my hours). The Caltrain from Morgan Hill and south only ran 3 times in the morning leaving between 6:30 and 7:30 and 3 times in the evening.

Morgan Hill is scenic, peaceful, nice little town with amenities for families (sports fields, swimming pools, community center, library). There’s a green belt separating it from San Jose so feels open and rural compared to densely packed areas San Jose on north. But lots of driving to get anywhere.
shelanman

Post by shelanman »

adptnt wrote:

Is this the norm for California? And is this within a reasonable commute to the Silicon Valley area?
If you want a commute that is under an hour (to most of the "hot" places in the valley) and good schools, you're looking at a minimum of $4500/month in rent, quite possibly more. Public transit exists in the bay area, but it is not as pervasive as in NYC. You will want a car unless you choose to live in San Francisco and your company provides busses.

Silicon Valley is much less densely populated than NYC, but the area was also never developed with growth in mind. Coupled with a decades-long near-moratoreum on new development, and the entire area is creaking under severe overcrowding.

I work for a tech company with a Silicon Valley presence, though I am in So Cal. Many of my Nor Cal colleagues have 2 hour commutes and also live in tiny apartments despite making almost as much as you are being offered.

I am not telling you not to take it. $180k base is enough to make it work fine. And I've never lived in NYC, so I can't compare the lifestyle for you, because I don't have a good sense of what life costs there. My friends in the area are all happy, and they all love it, and don't understand why i won't transfer. (though they bitch endlessly about traffic, which is now even worse than down in So Cal). I have been offered a transfer myself, and have turned it down, because i don't want to live there, and the offer didn't include nearly enough more money to be tempting.

My best advice is to go visit, and see what it's really like. That offer is good enough that it is totally workable, and only you can decide of the trade-offs are worthwhile. If you are in software, then you also will have tons of opportunity to change gigs if this one isn't as amazing as you hope. (Some other industries are big, too, but software is the biggest and easiest to move around in)

And, off-topic, but a topic near and dear to my heart: food. in Silicon Valley is tons of excellent Indian and Pakistani food and also really good Japanese food (especially some ridiculously amazing hole-in-the-wall Ramen houses). So, if you like any of those things even a little bit, definitely have some while you're there.
jane1

Post by jane1 »

adptnt wrote:

For Palo Alto job, I would look at a 15 miles radius. So from Millbrae to Los Gatos (all cities in between) upto parts of San Jose. During rush hours, for non-carpool lanes, you are looking at easily an hour commute each way. Dublin, Walnut Creek or most places in East Bay (except Fremont/Union City) would be too far in peak traffic.
In additional to the school district ratings, consider the school cultural mix you would like. That should narrow down your options.
4-5K rent I mentioned earlier should be doable for an older 3 bd house or apartment in a decent school district, but probably not in Palo Alto. Palo Alto is a local maximum when it comes to costs. Buying a similar house would be about 1.5-2.5M based on location (except PA).Although I would strongly encourage renting for at least 6-12 months to get an idea of the neighborhoods and where you would like to settle down.

Play around with Zillow to get an idea. Don't look at listing prices but look at recently sold properties to get a better feel since bidding wars drive up prices above listing.
rolandtorres

Post by rolandtorres »

You might consider renting just to get to know the area better and because the housing market in the area peaked around spring 2016 (according to brokers I've casually chatted with) so you would likely have room to get better value should you choose to buy/stay later.

A 1.25 hr drive commute without traffic /= a commute 1.25 hr with traffic, the same way that a 1hr LIRR commuter train trip /= a 1hr NYC subway ride.

Cost of housing is one thing, but there also happens to be less socioeconomic stratification present than the tri-state area due to the fact that nearly everyone in the area acquired wealth through tech careers. So I'll just say that many highly rated schools in the area will be culturally different and more homogenous than LI ones- depending on what environment you're seeking, you should know the areas culturally and not just based on scoring.
sfchris

Post by sfchris »

rolandtorres wrote: A 1.25 hr drive commute without traffic /= a commute 1.25 hr with traffic, the same way that a 1hr LIRR commuter train trip /= a 1hr NYC subway ride.
Can you edit your post please? "/=" is meaningless. Perhaps you meant ">" or "!=". Better yet, spell it out without using symbols.
Afty

Post by Afty »

adptnt wrote:

We rent a 1500 sq ft house (built in the '90s) in Sunnyvale in an OK school district and pay $4500/month. It's 30-45 minutes to Palo Alto during rush hour.
emilyinsf

Post by emilyinsf »

Yes, housing here seems much more expensive than in my in laws' Westchester neighborhood. Belmont and SAN Carlos are possible less expensive options with good schools, but they are not cheap. Commuting from Orinda, Danville, or Walnut Creek would be awful. It is way too far/too much traffic. You wouldn't see your kids much during the week and would be exhausted on the weekends.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

shelanman wrote:
adptnt wrote:

If you want a commute that is under an hour (to most of the "hot" places in the valley) and good schools, you're looking at a minimum of $4500/month in rent, quite possibly more. Public transit exists in the bay area, but it is not as pervasive as in NYC. You will want a car unless you choose to live in San Francisco and your company provides busses.

Silicon Valley is much less densely populated than NYC, but the area was also never developed with growth in mind. Coupled with a decades-long near-moratoreum on new development, and the entire area is creaking under severe overcrowding.

I work for a tech company with a Silicon Valley presence, though I am in So Cal. Many of my Nor Cal colleagues have 2 hour commutes and also live in tiny apartments despite making almost as much as you are being offered.

I am not telling you not to take it. $180k base is enough to make it work fine. And I've never lived in NYC, so I can't compare the lifestyle for you, because I don't have a good sense of what life costs there. My friends in the area are all happy, and they all love it, and don't understand why i won't transfer. (though they bitch endlessly about traffic, which is now even worse than down in So Cal). I have been offered a transfer myself, and have turned it down, because i don't want to live there, and the offer didn't include nearly enough more money to be tempting.

My best advice is to go visit, and see what it's really like. That offer is good enough that it is totally workable, and only you can decide of the trade-offs are worthwhile. If you are in software, then you also will have tons of opportunity to change gigs if this one isn't as amazing as you hope. (Some other industries are big, too, but software is the biggest and easiest to move around in)

And, off-topic, but a topic near and dear to my heart: food. in Silicon Valley is tons of excellent Indian and Pakistani food and also really good Japanese food (especially some ridiculously amazing hole-in-the-wall Ramen houses). So, if you like any of those things even a little bit, definitely have some while you're there.

Fine points indeed. Thank you. My family and I really do enjoy good dining so that is an excellent + indeed. The biggest driver in this decision making process is the housing. I currently pay $3,500 a month for a 3 bedroom home with loads of yard space. I'd be downsizing on the yard space and probably paying $1,000- $1,500 more for a similar size home. Property taxes, groceries and living essentials I would assume are the same in CA as in NY. My kids are in elementary school and in a good district now so I would like to keep with the same standards in CA. The new employer does have shuttles to transport employees but I would have to box my apartment/home search to areas fairly near the bus stops.

We are not the lavish type and it is good to hear that $180k base is doable there. I just wonder about the cushion post housing costs on a monthly basis. I think the work experience will be invaluable, and the cultural difference, scenery and weather would be a nice experience for my family.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

Afty wrote:
adptnt wrote:

We rent a 1500 sq ft house (built in the '90s) in Sunnyvale in an OK school district and pay $4500/month. It's 30-45 minutes to Palo Alto during rush hour.

The commute from Sunnyvale seems reasonable. Is there any particular reason why you decided to rent vs. buy if I may ask?

Thank you.
Afty

Post by Afty »

adptnt wrote: The commute from Sunnyvale seems reasonable. Is there any particular reason why you decided to rent vs. buy if I may ask?
We moved here for my wife's medical fellowship, which was a 3-year program. We weren't sure we would stick around after 3 years. Also, honestly, the price of housing here spooked me and I was worried we were in a bubble.

Also, FWIW, my experience has been that bonus and equity are a substantial portion of my pay, and have become a larger fraction as I've progressed in my career. Equity in particular tends to stack over time. Currently bonus+equity > base salary for me. So don't discount that in your calculations.
Topic Author
adptnt

Post by adptnt »

Afty wrote:
adptnt wrote: The commute from Sunnyvale seems reasonable. Is there any particular reason why you decided to rent vs. buy if I may ask?
We moved here for my wife's medical fellowship, which was a 3-year program. We weren't sure we would stick around after 3 years. Also, honestly, the price of housing here spooked me and I was worried we were in a bubble.

Also, FWIW, my experience has been that bonus and equity are a substantial portion of my pay, and have become a larger fraction as I've progressed in my career. Equity in particular tends to stack over time. Currently bonus+equity > base salary for me. So don't discount that in your calculations.
That is great Afty. What has kept you around and where did you relo from?
westcoastinvestor

Post by westcoastinvestor »

Based on my cursory craigslist search, you should be able to rent in Mountain View, which is a very nice town with good schools. Riding a bike to work would probably be faster than driving. If you do not like Mountain View, there are many other similar towns.

The Bay Area is a great place to live and work. The weather is mild, there are exciting jobs and a competitive professional/intellectual environment, people are tolerant, and there are great opportunities for outdoor activities.

Go for it. What is the worst that can happen, it does not work out and you return to NY?
Afty

Post by Afty »

adptnt wrote:
Afty wrote:

That is great Afty. What has kept you around and where did you relo from?
We came from Boston and have been here 5 years now. We've stayed because I really love my work -- I'm highly specialized but have found a niche doing exactly what I always wanted to do. The pay doesn't hurt either. My wife was also able to find a permanent academic medicine position here. Finally, we've made friends here, and it would be hard to leave and start building a social network all over again. We're looking to buy a house now and settle in for the long term.

I'm kind of ambivalent on the area. Here's a quick list of pros and cons from my perspective:

Pros:
  • Great work opportunities in tech. Interesting work and great compensation.
  • Great weather, especially compared to NY or MA.
  • Easy access to outdoor activities. I like to trail run, and I can easily hit a park and do 7 miles in the hills before work.
Cons:
  • Incredibly high housing costs.
  • Suburban sprawl in the South Bay. I miss living in an urban area. It's so bland here.
  • Tech monoculture. Nearly everyone you meet works in tech. I miss talking to people who don't work in tech and have a different perspective on things.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

Adptnt if you decide to move take a look at Pleasanton.Great city,tree lined streets,parks and a great, quaint downtown.The Livermore wine country is 10 minutes away if you are in to that.Good schools,BART trains to San Francisco.A decent commute time and your family is removed from Silicon Valley.You can rent a 3 br place for a lot less than the Silicon Valley.Dublin that you mentioned is next door.Pleasanton is a bit closer to Silicon Valley and is much nicer than Dublin.I do not work for the city but I do live here :D
jane1

Post by jane1 »

hoops777 wrote:Adptnt if you decide to move take a look at Pleasanton.Great city,tree lined streets,parks and a great, quaint downtown.The Livermore wine country is 10 minutes away if you are in to that.Good schools,BART trains to San Francisco.A decent commute time and your family is removed from Silicon Valley.You can rent a 3 br place for a lot less than the Silicon Valley.Dublin that you mentioned is next door.Pleasanton is a bit closer to Silicon Valley and is much nicer than Dublin.I do not work for the city but I do live here :D
OP will be working in Palo Alto. Not sure I would recommend Pleasanton. No easy public transit. And definitely not decent commute time in rush hour. Probably 1.5hr one way stuck in traffic.
JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO »

I currently pay $3,500 a month for a 3 bedroom home with loads of yard space. I'd be downsizing on the yard space and probably paying $1,000- $1,500 more for a similar size home.
You won't need a big yard here (and probably won't find one - think tiny houses and tinier lots). There are an abundance of parks within a 20min drive, and they're all out of this world. I've hiked more in my short time here than I ever did in all my years back home in NY. :sharebeer
anoop

Post by anoop »

Not to scare you, but this should give you an idea of what goes on with real estate in the Bay Area.
http://milliondollarshack.com/

The same hotel rooms which used to go for $100/night about 6 years ago, now go for $300/night, if you can find availability.

Most people are stretched on 2 salaries to afford a home and then use their hefty bonus to pay their property tax. That's who you're competing with when you go house shopping.

I have no idea what NY is like, so I can't help you compare to where you're at.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

So he either lives close to work and pays a ridiculous price or commutes and lives in probably a nicer family area,in a larger home for less money.Welcome to the Bay.
boglephreak

Post by boglephreak »

adptnt wrote:
livesoft wrote:^The homes were I lived on LI are now selling for about $350 to $500 per square foot, so I guess that is one-third to one-half the $1000/sq ft you noted. What is special about them? Walk to beach? Water view? Much larger lot? Give me a ZIP code please.

I know!!! Property taxes are also high in NY so I think it would be comparable to CA (I think). Some places that I were looking into included Dublin, Orinda, Walnut Creek - Places with excellent school districts. Lot sizes are not much bigger than the burbs in NY.

Any suggestions of places to look with good school districts and reasonable commuting distance to Silicon Valley area?
you should contact a local realtor. nice neighborhoods, good schools and close to silicon valley are going to cost an arm and a leg. you're either going to pay out the nose, or your kids arent going to the best schools, unfortunately.

also, the rental market here is pretty insane, partially because there is little to no inventory for sale.