Career Change?Age 32---Personal Trainer to Real Estate

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
uwbadgers

Career Change?Age 32---Personal Trainer to Real Estate

Post by uwbadgers »

Hi,

I've had lots of luck in the past with some helpful thoughts from bogleheads so thought I'd try again. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Age 32, Wife 33
Him: Income ~40k since 2011 as personal trainer in small, private studio along with 5 others
Her: Income 70k, 70k, 125k, on pace for over 100k this year----Mortgage Loan Originator
Together: ~110k-170k over the last 4 years
2 kids: Age 2.5 and 8 months
Retirement Accounts: 210k---Max both Roth IRA and wife 401k
No Debts besides mortgage

I have been training for the past 10 years, 8 years at the same place. Over the last 6 months or so I've really begun to lose some of my passion I feel I once had. I start at 5am everyday and finish anywhere between 10am and 2pm Mon-Fri. I normally work 1 weekend day each month. Sure, it's nice to have some extra time with them due to starting early, but they won't be young forever and sometimes going 5am-2pm and then taking over 2 kids until 6pm by myself is a rough day. I've trained/completed on average 120 sessions/month for the last 8 or so years so I think after over 11,000 sessions some of my drive is gone.

I graduated college with a Kinesiology---Exercise Science degree from UW-Madison. I feel this is where I'm a bit stuck/scared and where some of the desire to change starts as my degree was more of pre-professional (physical therapist, doctor, etc) degree. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do once I graduated college and training is where I fell and It's worked out pretty well overall the last 10 years.

With 2 kids now I'm somewhat planning ahead. Am I going to work at 5am all their lives growing up? What happens when I am 45-50 as a trainer and no experience doing anything else? I understand there are various roles you can work into in my profession but I'm not sure gym owner or something like that is up my alley.

My big fear is I'm going to wake up in 10-15 years and have no experience to do anything else except training and I fear that could be problematic.

I have been doing lots of research lately into becoming a real estate agent. I understand that this is a bit of a "start over" in which income will drop dramatically, at least for a while as I would have to work to get established. I do have some decent connections to possibly get on a good team as my wife has been a successful mortgage writer for a few years now and has many connections. I feel there could also be a unique opportunity between my wife/I both being in the same industry and would give us some creative referral options and a unique offering to clients.

The reason I've been considering a switch like this is there are some strong connections between the 2 professions and you don't need a ton of special education (4 year degree) to get into the profession. Right now, I get paid if I train people. No training = no money. I also feel I am a pretty patient person that listens well, 2 traits I feel can work well as a real estate agent. I also am fully aware there is no guarantee I would make much at all starting off and my schedule won't necessarily be better, but different.

I don't currently have my license and haven't enrolled in a course yet. My wife is totally supportive of my "mid-30's crisis" :)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom from more experienced bogleheads?
Am I overthinking my lack of experience for later in life?
Is now as good of time as any to make a change?
Am I really going to regret the stability I have now?
Should I get the license and try to slowly get started while continuing full time job?

Sorry if this all came out a bit jumbled. Still trying to process it all and I figured writing it out would be helpful. Thanks!
Maverick3320

Re: Career Change?Age 32---Personal Trainer to Real Estate

Post by Maverick3320 »

Fellow UW-Madison alum here! Sorry to hear about your burnout. I'm not an expert on medical fields at all, but if you are set on switching careers, have you considered nursing or coding? There are quite a few jobs for both if you are looking to stay in the local area. I think Epic also will take new hires with just about any background, although they seem to trend a little bit younger. Something to consider.

Then again, in business, connections/networking is half the battle. If your wife can get you hooked up, I'd say go for it. Could you knock out the requirements for a real estate license while still working as a trainer? That may be the least risky option, but also exposes you to more burnout. Or, alternatively, could you be a freelance trainer, and then just set your own schedule? Or at the complete far end of the spectrum, leverage your wife's skill set and yours simultaneously and open your own studio?
panhead

Post by panhead »

I had an acquaintance whose wife was a RE agent and he was the mortgage broker. I agree there are advantages to this relationship. That being said, have you had to "chase and sell" clients as a personal trainer? If so, and you were good at it and personable, this experience would help you greatly in the RE agent game. Just be clear: RE agent is a sales job. Also be clear: the internet seems to be slowly eroding away their dominance over this industry.

As for another suggestion, I have a couple of friends that work as X-ray technicians at local hospitals, and it seems to me this would be more in-line with your current degree/experience. I believe you only need a two year degree to get into this, and their schedules are pretty good (few days on, few days off kind of thing) and in my area, they seem to make decent $$, like around $70k or so. If you have several hospitals in your area, you might want to look at this. Also, you might be able to go to school while keeping your current job.

Best of luck, you're young, you have a supportive wife, you will figure it out!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Since your wife has contacts in the real estate business it would be good if you can find a couple of those people to talk with in order to get their input as to what your prospects would be in real estate.

Real estate tends to be boom and bust so one concern I would have would be that during a slump both of your incomes would be at risk.

I'm not sure if you working in the same field would give you an advantage since there might be the appearance of a conflict of interest if you refer business to each other.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

It would be brutal getting established as a real estate agent on your own, BUT lots of people get started as licensed buyer (or seller) agents on a real estate team. That is, the team leader "rainmakes" and then hands off the process stuff to their staff. It's a great way to get experience, though be prepared for questions like, "how long will you stay?" and non-compete contracts to ensure that you're not just there to steal business. But find the right team leader, and you may never want to go out on your own. Supporting a productive team leader can be lucrative, as long as you are not a threat.

People already in the industry are usually open to mentoring those new to the business, but their question will always be, are you just using us to get experience and, if not, what do you bring to the table?

Your experience as a trainer will stand you in good stead. That is, you presumably have experience handling objections from people who may have unrealistic expectations.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

Real estate agents, except in extremely high-end markets, will eventually be replaced by technology (the trend has started and will continue). The NAR is a massive lobbying machine working to keep legislation in place that is counter to the technology push, but eventually technology and the individual will win.
That said, personal trainers are much less likely to be replaced by technology. Yes, my smartphone can help plan my workout routine, but it can't yell encouragement or spot me on that bench press. There is a strong human factor in personal training.
If you are burned out that is one thing, but are there ways to renew your interest in your current work? Do you have a solid client base where you can break out on your own?
imyeti2

Post by imyeti2 »

I'd advise against it. We have had to deal with agents recently and have always questioned their value add. As was mentioned before, all marketing is on the internet. The whole profession is becoming obsolete.

Is it the work that has caused the burnout or the hours? Please remember, as an agent you'll have to work at nights and weekends - clients want to see homes mostly on weekends.

Why would you want to trade a specialized background to an ordinary one - in which getting a license is relatively easy.

I'd suggest finding an adjacent profession that you like - assuming you still like exercise science. Please remember that in the next 20-30 years, individuals in this country will still have lot of health issues (if not more).

good luck !
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I wouldn't, instead I would stay in the physical health sector but look for adjacencies. Stregth & conditioning coach for a sports team? Wellness coach? Nutritionist?
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BW1985 wrote:I wouldn't, instead I would stay in the physical health sector but look for adjacencies. Stregth & conditioning coach for a sports team? Wellness coach? Nutritionist?
I was previously the head s&c coach for a professional MMA club, prior to that I worked at two athletic training facilities (mostly training guys for NFL and NBA combines), and prior to that worked for two major college athletic departments. My viewpoint as a (former) industry professional:

S&C coach for a sports team or university; opportunities are few and far between, most pay almost nothing (unless you are the head guy for a major team/program), and who you know is far more important than what you know.

Wellness coach; not even sure what that is.

I am technically a "nutritionist" because I have a BS in nutritional science and several professional certifications, without having met the requirements to be a licensed dietician - the designation means almost nothing and offers little opportunity in the workforce.

I suggest the OP cut down current training hours and test the real estate thing out. It's an extremely risky industry, but the wife's connections may help and you may be good. I had a similar outlook after finishing my BS, double majoring in exercise physiology and nutritional science. I worked for 6yrs and then realized there was little opportunity in what I wanted to do (professional strength and conditioning), and pursued further education (MS then PhD) and got into public health, which forayed into opportunities in health in private industry and also academia. Fact of the matter is, kinesiology is almost worthless as a terminal degree.
Last edited by stoptothink on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

stoptothink wrote: Wellness coach; not even sure what that is.
It's exactly what it sounds like. Companies like Asset Health employ wellness coaches who work with employees of companies as part of their healthcare programs. My company gives us incentives to set & reach goals and have quarterly calls with our wellness coach. They help with meal planning, exercise and stress reducing techniques.

What did you pursue further education in to get into public health?
Last edited by BW1985 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

duplicate
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BW1985 wrote:
It's exactly what it sounds like. Companies like Asset Health employ wellness coaches who work with employees of companies as part of their healthcare programs. My company gives us incentives to set & reach goals and have quarterly calls with our wellness coach. They help with meal planning, exercise and stress reducing techniques.

So a "wellness coach" works in corporate wellness? I have a friend who works for Orriant http://www.orriant.com/; I'm guessing that is his official title. He's essentially a case worker for people trying to get in shape - is on the phone all day just checking on their progress, without ever actually doing anything with them. I do know it pays less than the OP is currently making and doesn't require any formal education in exercise, nutrition, or health (which my friend doesn't have).

My MS is in exercise physiology, which I was getting while working in MMA. My research into obesity led to opportunities running childhood obesity programs in non-profit, which ultimately led to a management position in public health. PhD in kinesiology - obesity studies, was offered health director position in large non-profit shortly after completion and left last year for a director position in a health megacorp.
Last edited by stoptothink on Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
furnace

Post by furnace »

uwbadgers wrote:Hi,

I've had lots of luck in the past with some helpful thoughts from bogleheads so thought I'd try again. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Age 32, Wife 33
Him: Income ~40k since 2011 as personal trainer in small, private studio along with 5 others
Her: Income 70k, 70k, 125k, on pace for over 100k this year----Mortgage Loan Originator
Together: ~110k-170k over the last 4 years
2 kids: Age 2.5 and 8 months
Retirement Accounts: 210k---Max both Roth IRA and wife 401k
No Debts besides mortgage

I have been training for the past 10 years, 8 years at the same place. Over the last 6 months or so I've really begun to lose some of my passion I feel I once had. I start at 5am everyday and finish anywhere between 10am and 2pm Mon-Fri. I normally work 1 weekend day each month. Sure, it's nice to have some extra time with them due to starting early, but they won't be young forever and sometimes going 5am-2pm and then taking over 2 kids until 6pm by myself is a rough day. I've trained/completed on average 120 sessions/month for the last 8 or so years so I think after over 11,000 sessions some of my drive is gone.

I graduated college with a Kinesiology---Exercise Science degree from UW-Madison. I feel this is where I'm a bit stuck/scared and where some of the desire to change starts as my degree was more of pre-professional (physical therapist, doctor, etc) degree. I honestly didn't know what I was going to do once I graduated college and training is where I fell and It's worked out pretty well overall the last 10 years.

With 2 kids now I'm somewhat planning ahead. Am I going to work at 5am all their lives growing up? What happens when I am 45-50 as a trainer and no experience doing anything else? I understand there are various roles you can work into in my profession but I'm not sure gym owner or something like that is up my alley.

My big fear is I'm going to wake up in 10-15 years and have no experience to do anything else except training and I fear that could be problematic.

I have been doing lots of research lately into becoming a real estate agent. I understand that this is a bit of a "start over" in which income will drop dramatically, at least for a while as I would have to work to get established. I do have some decent connections to possibly get on a good team as my wife has been a successful mortgage writer for a few years now and has many connections. I feel there could also be a unique opportunity between my wife/I both being in the same industry and would give us some creative referral options and a unique offering to clients.

The reason I've been considering a switch like this is there are some strong connections between the 2 professions and you don't need a ton of special education (4 year degree) to get into the profession. Right now, I get paid if I train people. No training = no money. I also feel I am a pretty patient person that listens well, 2 traits I feel can work well as a real estate agent. I also am fully aware there is no guarantee I would make much at all starting off and my schedule won't necessarily be better, but different.

I don't currently have my license and haven't enrolled in a course yet. My wife is totally supportive of my "mid-30's crisis" :)

Any thoughts or words of wisdom from more experienced bogleheads?
Am I overthinking my lack of experience for later in life?
Is now as good of time as any to make a change?
Am I really going to regret the stability I have now?
Should I get the license and try to slowly get started while continuing full time job?

Sorry if this all came out a bit jumbled. Still trying to process it all and I figured writing it out would be helpful. Thanks!

I don't see why you can't do both! Get a real estate license and work on it part time. Additionally, learn some carpentry and home improvement skills and fix people's houses. Build up your network of clients. Cross market everything to everyone. Over time buy rental houses and fix them up. You will have multiple things going on so no one thing can sink you, and raise your training rates as your reputation soars.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

stoptothink wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

So a "wellness coach" works in corporate wellness? I have a friend who works for Orriant http://www.orriant.com/; I'm guessing that is his official title. He's essentially a case worker for people trying to get in shape - is on the phone all day just checking on their progress, without ever actually doing anything with them. I do know it pays less than the OP is currently making and doesn't require any formal education in exercise, nutrition, or health (which my friend doesn't have).

My MS is in exercise physiology, which I was getting while working in MMA. My research into obesity led to opportunities running childhood obesity programs in non-profit, which ultimately led to a management position in public health. PhD in kinesiology - obesity studies, was offered health director position in large non-profit shortly after completion and left last year for a director position in a health megacorp.
Correct. I thought the OP was looking for ideas on other professions, if he said the goal was to make more then I missed that part. Real estate agent might make more, might not. "No training = no money". Right, but no sales = no money either.

Maybe OP could follow your career path and get into public health?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BW1985 wrote: Maybe OP could follow your career path and get into public health?
It's an option, but it'll take an investment in time and possibly money - things not in short supply to a 32yr old with a family. No way I'd have my current position without a PhD and connections made through my research, but relative to most comparable positions in other fields we aren't compensated great (especially working in public sector). OP didn't say anything about making more money, but I assume that is one of (if not the) greatest consideration along with simple burnout. Having been in somewhat of a similar position, I certainly was looking for opportunities to make more.

I'm still of the opinion that giving the real estate thing a shot while continuing to train, maybe a little less, is probably the best immediate option.
Topic Author
uwbadgers

Post by uwbadgers »

Hi everyone!

Thank you very much for all of the replies, they have been very helpful. I'll try to respond to as many as I can here, not in any particular order.

1. As a few have mentioned, my degree isn't really the most marketable/useful. If I could go back 12 years maybe I'd go into something else :) I don't think additional schooling is in the cards now just due to the cost/time and not having a passion for anything to spend 2-4 years on.

2. This definitely wouldn't be an all or nothing switch, it would have to be gradual

3. Making additional money is definitely a goal. It's more of a goal of having the opportunity to make more. Currently, I could make more income, but it comes at a large sacrifice of either doing more weekends/nights and just physically more time. I do have some days where I literally will train clients from 5am-2pm straight....I am tired! The income benefit to me isn't worth it currently as pay is the same for sessions. We do have some bonuses every quarter that can be earned, but as a team of 6 trainers there is only so much control I have over the team's outcomes so focusing too much time and energy on that isn't worth it.

4. While there are other options in this field, moving to another facility like mine is more of a laterally move or downgrade. There are other corporate type settings but they are very few and far between so finding one that is local and one that I meet qualifications is tough.

After talking with my wife a bit more I think my next step is going to work on getting my real estate license class done through an online course. I can take my time and it's basically a no risk next step besides spending a few hundred bucks. Once completed, I think my plan will be to work on some shadowing/real world learning as I know that will be key.....real world experience is basically how I have learned 100% of my current profession so I am comfortable with that type of plan.

This should help get my feet wet into something new and then I can go from there. If it works out, awesome, I can look at going further. If not, I just keep my eyes open for some other opportunities.

I think some of this is maybe just reality setting in of careers and 2 young kids too. I think I'm going to work on picking up a new hobby/hobbies to "fill the void" a bit. Maybe some of this is just me feeling bored in general. Anyone else get in funks like this from time to time? Any good results getting out of a funk?

Thanks all!
david99

Post by david99 »

Personal trainer to real estate ---- it sounds like you like working with people. A personal trainer is part teacher and part motivator so you might also consider going into education. Since you already have a college degree, it wouldn't be that hard. I have heard that in fields like math or science they will sometimes accept teachers without the proper credentials. But you will have to go back to school, while you are working and get the proper credentials eventually.

I guess that if you go into real estate you might also consider investing in real estate. If you are handy, you can buy a fixer upper and possibly make some money.

You might also consider talking with a vocational counselor and see what other vocations might be a good fit for your skill set and personality. It might be worth the money (I have no idea what they charge) for such an important decision. There might also be free vocational counseling services at some colleges, universities, nonprofits or government career centers. You could look around on the internet.

Best Wishes.