Brooklyn Bedding or Bed in a box anyone?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Kingpin

Brooklyn Bedding or Bed in a box anyone?

Post by Kingpin »

Has anyone used an online mattress service with any success?

I am looking at Brooklyn Bedding or Saatva myself.

How did you like the product?
krannerd

Re: Brooklyn Bedding or Bed in a box anyone?

Post by krannerd »

Bought from Brooklyn 6 weeks ago. Good experience and nice product. I got a firm mattress...and it is FIRM.

Get 5%off with a code from mattress underground.

Requires 2 people to move the box.
Topic Author
Kingpin

Post by Kingpin »

interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I am curious, how did you dispose of the old mattress and box spring?
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

We both really like the latex mattress we ordered online. We purchased the thicker king version so it had to be delivered via a trucking line versus UPS/FedEx. Couple of cautions - open the box on the door step and than slide the plastic rolled and vacuumed mattress on to the box springs before opening. At first the mattress looked to small to fit the bed but within ten minutes it was a genuine king size. We are both in our sixties and it took the two us move it to the bedroom on the same level.

We gave our eight year old coil and memory foam mattress to a neighbor and kept the box springs for use under the latex mattress
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

First decide whether you want alatex, foam, traditional spring or what combination of these. I have decided on a spring combo and originally thought I'd buy a Saatva, but also looked at http://www.winkbeds.com and have decided to buy from them. Read all the comparions. But, if you want a latex/foam mattresss, bedinabox is a good choice. Visiting relatives near their factory in TN last year visited their factory, looks like a good company to deal with.
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

BTDT wrote:We both really like the latex mattress we ordered online.
Would you mind telling us the brand?
soaring

Post by soaring »

I used Mattress Factory, Springfield, Pa two different times. Both times received what I ordered and when they said it would arrive.

While they carry many brands mine was Simmons BeautyRest and it was delivered by truck direct from the Simmons factory. The exact same bed sold in national retail store (not bed store) and when on sale it was $600 more not including tax than Mattress Factory which was no tax or delivery charge.

Now if I can throw in one other curve ball. I would consider Talalay latex beds. Sources are different and much research is needed to learn different types (100% all natural Talalay vs others) & firmness (ILD) of latex and the process to make it (Dunlop or Talalay)...definitely NOT memory foam. You lay on latex not in it. buy only Talalay processed in USA and there is only one US factory. you would only want Oeko-tex certified.

you can read about Talalay Latex here. Probably looking at ~ $2500 for queen.
http://www.latexfoam.com/

If you decide to pursue latex I can provide more info.
Last edited by soaring on Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desiderata
TSR

Post by TSR »

I started another thread on this that you can search for. I recently purchased from Brooklyn Bedding and have liked the bed and the service, though, as I commented previously, the "medium firmness" bed really is quite firm. If you are a side-sleeper I would go with "soft" -- their beds are built to avoid sag permanently, and so they are not "soft," just the topper. The good news is that my lower back problem is pretty much no longer a problem after that thing.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

I am a large (6'5", 230 lbs) back/stomach sleeper. I tried three mattresses - Leesa, Casper, and Brooklyn Bedding firm. I found that the Brooklyn Bedding firm mattress met my needs and returned the Leesa and Casper mattresses. Leesa was too soft and slept hot for me. The Casper was a little better but still not perfect. At my size, I need a firm mattress otherwise I sink in too much.

I would recommend ordering one mattress, but if it does not work out immediately pick up a second while you are still in the window to return the first to compare the mattresses. Repeat until you find the right one.