leadership buzzwords

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
sambb

leadership buzzwords

Post by sambb »

To enhance my career, and in career advancement, I am now invited to alot of meetings amongst senior leaders in our 6 Billion dollar organization.
I have seen over the last year that there is a lot of "leadershuip lingo"
Here is a short list of words, which are often used amongst leaders in various discussions about the organization and strategy. Are there more to contribute? I feel like I should use these words more and more to help modify my thinking so I can enhance my career.

Organizational readiness
Operations
Strategic
Stakeholders
Circle Back
Charette
Resilient
Resolve
Readiness
Focus
Priorities
Broaden
Scope - in and out of scope
communication

etc
These were all used in one meeting today

What words do your leaders use, in general conversations about the organization, which are not specific to your business, but rather are broader like the above?
Igglesman

Re: leadership buzzwords

Post by Igglesman »

Google the term "executive bingo" or "executive buzzword bingo".
Dopey

Post by Dopey »

These words make you successful? My favorite executives at my company talk like a normal human being without all the corporate [stuff - moderator prudent].
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Igglesman wrote:Google the term "executive bingo" or "executive buzzword bingo".
Pick one and run it up the flag pole to see if you can leverage it at the next meeting.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

"take aways"

Whenever someone says that, I think of the Outback commercials.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Matigas

Post by Matigas »

sambb wrote:To enhance my career, and in career advancement, I am now invited to alot of meetings amongst senior leaders in our 6 Billion dollar organization.
I have seen over the last year that there is a lot of "leadershuip lingo"
Here is a short list of words, which are often used amongst leaders in various discussions about the organization and strategy. Are there more to contribute? I feel like I should use these words more and more to help modify my thinking so I can enhance my career.

Organizational readiness
Operations
Strategic
Stakeholders
Circle Back
Charette
Resilient
Resolve
Readiness
Focus
Priorities
Broaden
Scope - in and out of scope
communication

etc
These were all used in one meeting today

What words do your leaders use, in general conversations about the organization, which are not specific to your business, but rather are broader like the above?
Start with alot/a lot. :idea:
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Don't sweat over particular buzzwords. Having a broad vocabulary is a benefit, but using buzzwords or complex words, just for the sake of using them, can make one look like they are trying too hard.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Is the goal to improve your thinking or to blend into the crowd?
Cheese

Post by Cheese »

Try your best to not use buzzwords. I immediately classify someone using buzzwords as out of touch and trying too hard.

Actions speak louder than words!
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

We need more granularity.
Matigas

Post by Matigas »

Cheese wrote:Try your best to not use buzzwords. I immediately classify someone using buzzwords as out of touch and trying too hard.

Actions speak louder than words!
True. Cliche's are much more important than buzzwords.
Silverado

Post by Silverado »

TallBoy29er wrote:Don't sweat over particular buzzwords. Having a broad vocabulary is a benefit, but using buzzwords or complex words, just for the sake of using them, can make one look like they are trying too hard.
This gets my vote.

Put some focus on proper speaking (I talks good). Especially important if you insist on using some buzzwords. Nothing hurts my ears more than bad grammar coupled with some obscure word.

And for the love of all things related to education, do not ever say something that sounds like 'irregardless'. Please. Please. Please. Those sounds do not make a word. It just ain't.

Speak professionally and it will show.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

No one used "synergy" or "synergistic"? No wonder it's only a $6 billion organization...
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I always liked "I got your six."
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (employee relationship).

This collaborative disintermediation of interdependent processes has proactively transformed into error-free "outside the box" thinking. As a result, this thread has run its course and is locked (below threshold for career guidance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.