What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Tingting1013

Re: What's Your Credit Card Rewards Strategy?

Post by Tingting1013 »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 pm
ER2023 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:13 pm Just came back from a New England vacation. There were quite a few restaurants and shops no longer accepting credit cards - only cash. Some are even charging the customer 4% additional fees if using a credit card.
My favorite pizza joint recently upped from 2% to 4% for CCs. It’s a bummer but I get at least 4% back from CCs on dining so it’s a wash.
When we use our awards points for international premium air travel, we always get more than 4% in value** to us, and sometimes much more.

But IF travel unfortunately becomes less "interesting" to us for actual/potential health reasons, then we might reconsider, especially when the need for a strong card vendor as "back up" isn't important.

Obviously, paying 4% more for something like 2% refund doesn't work.
I wonder how commonplace this will become, or whether the awards given will get bumped up somehow.

** The "value" is genuine for us, as we would pay cash for the J (business class) air tickets if we can't use awards. Indeed, we've done that a very few times, or when using awards would have required connections and an overnight hotel stay, rather than a non-stop.
But for those who wouldn't otherwise pay cash, that "value" is less. It all depends upon one's own choices and usage.

RM
You can straight up buy miles from various carriers for around 2 cents per mile during promotions.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:03 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:09 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:50 pm
ER2023 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:13 pm Just came back from a New England vacation. There were quite a few restaurants and shops no longer accepting credit cards - only cash. Some are even charging the customer 4% additional fees if using a credit card.
My favorite pizza joint recently upped from 2% to 4% for CCs. It’s a bummer but I get at least 4% back from CCs on dining so it’s a wash.
When we use our awards points for international premium air travel, we always get more than 4% in value** to us, and sometimes much more.

But IF travel unfortunately becomes less "interesting" to us for actual/potential health reasons, then we might reconsider, especially when the need for a strong card vendor as "back up" isn't important.

Obviously, paying 4% more for something like 2% refund doesn't work.
I wonder how commonplace this will become, or whether the awards given will get bumped up somehow.

** The "value" is genuine for us, as we would pay cash for the J (business class) air tickets if we can't use awards. Indeed, we've done that a very few times, or when using awards would have required connections and an overnight hotel stay, rather than a non-stop.
But for those who wouldn't otherwise pay cash, that "value" is less. It all depends upon one's own choices and usage.

RM
You can straight up buy miles from various carriers for around 2 cents per mile during promotions.
Right, and we definitely keep that in mind in case we ever need to do that.

For those who are just looking into that, there are some limits on those purchases, at least for American Airlines awards and for Amex Membership Rewards.
However, when one wants to use the points for the really top international premium travel, that can be very useful.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Bama12

Post by Bama12 »

I keep my C.C simple local credit union. I get 1.5% back on anything and 8% insert if I don't pay off monthly.

I always pay off monthly and use the rewards as my play money.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

spammagnet wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:57 pm
criticalmass wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:59 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:59 pm Interesting. I paid my first credit card surcharge that I can ever recall in my life just today at a store in NYC. I did not realize anything had changed recently. But, apparently it has.

https://www.digitaltransactions.net/new ... s-lawsuit/

My feeling was: whatever. The proprietor (small business owner) has been through a lot in the past 16 months. It is completely understandable that he needs every strategy he can to try to rebuild financially.
I'm noticing it start to pop up at restaurants as well. Have to read the fine print before deciding to use a card.
That has been available to them for some time. I think the proprietors didn't want to be the first ones to charge extra and lose business as a result.
That depends on where you are....New York allowed credit card surcharges more recently than most states (with certain rules about signage and disclosures) due to a civil action that took a long time to wind through courts and various appeals that bounced around.

New York allowed debit card surcharges long before credit card surcharges.

I've also noticed that many of the restaurants charging new surcharges were doing fantastic business during the pandemic, as they focused on outdoor seating and takeout before and during the pandemic.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:22 pm
sunny_socal wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:17 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:19 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:59 pm Interesting. I paid my first credit card surcharge that I can ever recall in my life just today at a store in NYC. I did not realize anything had changed recently. But, apparently it has.
My feeling was: whatever. The proprietor (small business owner) has been through a lot in the past 16 months. It is completely understandable that he needs every strategy he can to try to rebuild financially.
I'm noticing it start to pop up at restaurants as well. Have to read the fine print before deciding to use a card.
This week we went to my favorite local restaurant for the first time in over a year. When we went to pay, we noticed a new sign that there is a 3.xx% surcharge for using a CC. We did not go prepared to pay cash, so we used a card. I was more than a little annoyed initially and decided I would be prepared to pay cash there from now on. Upon further reflection I figure I get 3-5% cashback on the CCs I use for restaurants, so no need to go back to paying cash.
A little annoying but, after the past year for restaurants, a small price to pay.
You do realize that "everything the restaurants had to suffer through" was dictated from above. This means that such an order can come again, and those fees will likely not go away but rather we'll see even more fees in the future. Eventually it will be much like buying gas or paying a phone bill, there are multiple layers of taxes and fees embedded in the price. It starts out as noble or not a big deal but really it's just another way inflation eats away at the dollar.
Depends upon what the meaning of "above" is. One of the two that I can think of is taboo here; the other is meaningless imo.

Whatever the cause and/or the past, what we are faced with is today's status. In the case I described there is no advantage I see in paying cash. And life is too short for me to boycott my long-time favorite local restaurant over this issue. Feel free to worry about all those other issues; I've got better things to do.
I agree with second part. Meaning I don't in this case (or generally) agree I should pay more for stuff than I have to because of 'what somebody went through'. I try to keep commerce and charity as separate as possible.

But like you say, if CC surcharges come at our favorite restaurants (in NJ right across from Manhattan, we're back to normal generally but still haven't gotten around to crossing the river since the pandemic started) it will mainly be a) like any other price increase, we decide if the value proposition still works and b) using BOA Customized Cash Rewards card at 5.25% CB for restaurants, we'd still be better off using the card at 4% surcharge than cash. Many gas stations have long offered discount for cash, but we don't get non-Top Tier gas, and I haven't seen a Top Tier station around here with a whole 5.25% discount for cash.

Although, if this development spreads, even besides not using card when the CB is < than the surcharge, you have to consider the net benefit of CC being reduced in terms of any annual fee (none on BOA CCR, but for example this would be an issue with BOA PR at 2.625% generally if charges near that became common) or any effort one puts in optimizing by switching around which card. Optimizing 5.25% CB is worth more effort than optimizing 5.25%-4% CB.

And, I don't rule out at the margin avoiding merchants who tack on these charges, out of annoyance. If there are merchants doing annoying stuff and ones not doing it, and otherwise comparable in my subjective judgement, I will sometimes factor in my annoyance in choosing. Since it is my money, and the goal in spending it, beyond sustenance and designated charitable spending, is my *subjective* enjoyment.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:22 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:59 pm

Interesting. I paid my first credit card surcharge that I can ever recall in my life just today at a store in NYC. I did not realize anything had changed recently. But, apparently it has.

This week we went to my favorite local restaurant for the first time in over a year. When we went to pay, we noticed a new sign that there is a 3.xx% surcharge for using a CC. We did not go prepared to pay cash, so we used a card. I was more than a little annoyed initially and decided I would be prepared to pay cash there from now on. Upon further reflection I figure I get 3-5% cashback on the CCs I use for restaurants, so no need to go back to paying cash.

A little annoying but, after the past year for restaurants, a small price to pay.
You do realize that "everything the restaurants had to suffer through" was dictated from above. This means that such an order can come again, and those fees will likely not go away but rather we'll see even more fees in the future. Eventually it will be much like buying gas or paying a phone bill, there are multiple layers of taxes and fees embedded in the price. It starts out as noble or not a big deal but really it's just another way inflation eats away at the dollar.
Depends upon what the meaning of "above" is. One of the two that I can think of is taboo here; the other is meaningless imo.

Whatever the cause and/or the past, what we are faced with is today's status. In the case I described there is no advantage I see in paying cash. And life is too short for me to boycott my long-time favorite local restaurant over this issue. Feel free to worry about all those other issues; I've got better things to do.
Although I agree that some tiny price increases are not worth stressing over, I hate not knowing what the price is of things. It is not different than buying a car and then getting all these tacked on fees right at the end. It is no different than booking a hotel and then finding out later you are paying $35 a night resort fee. I want to know the final priced not have to do math with every purchase. If these restaurants want to charge more money, then increase the price by 2-4%. If they want to incentivize cash, offer a discount for cash afterwards.

TLDR: Just increase the price of their food by 2-4% and then offer a discount for cash.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:25 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:38 am
criticalmass wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:30 am
Jeepergeo wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:22 pm
Report them to your credit card carrier. Most likely, their practice is contrary to their credit card charge processing agreement. Posting a discount for cash is generally acceptable, but adding an up charge for the use of the CC is not..
How would someone report a business who no longer accepts credit cards to a credit card issuer? Do you expect them to demand the business sign up with a credit card acquirer?
Regarding businesses who do accept cards but charge fees, credit card fees up to 4% are now permitted, following civil cases/settlements, card rule changes, and legislation. A few states prohibit this practice, e.g. CO, but the 4% fees are generally acceptable in four of six New England states and most others. Don't like it? Pay cash.

money.com/credit-card-surcharge-legal-or-illegal
Jeeze. It is reasonably obvious that my comment was relative to the part in the post about some merchants placing a 4% surcharge on CC purchases as that would obviously not be applicable to cash only merchants.
To recap, credit card fees (Surcharges) up to 4% are now allowed by all major credit card networks and are now allowed in most states. The surcharge must be signed at point of sale AND itemized on receipts. New York recently began allowing credit card surcharges after the courts there struck down the law banning surcharges. Expect the freedom to surcharge to increase to the remaining states in coming years.
Roger that. Too often the merchant has the CC placard on the door but does not divulge the fee until it is time to pay.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:25 pm To recap, credit card fees (Surcharges) up to 4% are now allowed by all major credit card networks and are now allowed in most states. The surcharge must be signed at point of sale AND itemized on receipts. New York recently began allowing credit card surcharges after the courts there struck down the law banning surcharges. Expect the freedom to surcharge to increase to the remaining states in coming years.
Interesting. I paid my first credit card surcharge that I can ever recall in my life just today at a store in NYC. I did not realize anything had changed recently. But, apparently it has.

Fight it from the inside out. Reduce the 25% tip to say 20%.

Or, eat and enjoy your meal and then pay with a $100 bill, and refuse to acknowledge you have a CC available at the exorbitant fee they surprise you with.

The practice is especially irritating at restaurants where so much of their business is via CC. Just factor in the CC fee into the menu price.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 6:25 pm To recap, credit card fees (Surcharges) up to 4% are now allowed by all major credit card networks and are now allowed in most states. The surcharge must be signed at point of sale AND itemized on receipts. New York recently began allowing credit card surcharges after the courts there struck down the law banning surcharges. Expect the freedom to surcharge to increase to the remaining states in coming years.

Here in CALIFORNIA, all the whacky taxes are worked into the gas price on the pump. Further, stations usually have both the Credit and Cash prices prominently posted, so there are no surprises....unlike at some restaurants that want to surprise the customer at checkout.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

Yeah I got hit at one restaurant in NY on a recent trip. At least they were clear on the menu. I would have paid cash but didn't have the right amount on me. I was using a Citi card which earns 5% at restaurants so still ahead. Service was good and they looked like they could use the money so I didn't cut my tip but I may do so again in the future at future restaurants if they do this.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am

Or, eat and enjoy your meal and then pay with a $100 bill, and refuse to acknowledge you have a CC available at the exorbitant fee they surprise you with.

The practice is especially irritating at restaurants where so much of their business is via CC. Just factor in the CC fee into the menu price.
Why would I want to penalize the waitstaff? This particular restaurant has reduced their hours from six nights per week pre-pandemic to four nights per week currently. I would prefer that they are profitable enough to remain open, expand their current hours, and retain competent staff. Whether and how they accomplish that depends upon the management skills of the owner.

My objective is to pay with a strategy (in keeping with the topic of this thread) that gives me the best bang for the buck and convenience. The addition of the surcharge makes it about a toss-up between cash and credit card for $. I will undoubtedly continue to use a CC for convenience in this particular case. Other places, I might walk from, but not here--at least not over this.

If this surcharge practice continues to spread, the CC issuers will have to adapt. Or the users will. I have adapted to bigger and more costly changes re: CCs than this, and undoubtedly will have to do so again in the future.
fanmail

Post by fanmail »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:43 pm

Why would I want to penalize the waitstaff? This particular restaurant has reduced their hours from six nights per week pre-pandemic to four nights per week currently. I would prefer that they are profitable enough to remain open, expand their current hours, and retain competent staff. Whether and how they accomplish that depends upon the management skills of the owner.

My objective is to pay with a strategy (in keeping with the topic of this thread) that gives me the best bang for the buck and convenience. The addition of the surcharge makes it about a toss-up between cash and credit card for $. I will undoubtedly continue to use a CC for convenience in this particular case. Other places, I might walk from, but not here--at least not over this.

If this surcharge practice continues to spread, the CC issuers will have to adapt. Or the users will. I have adapted to bigger and more costly changes re: CCs than this, and undoubtedly will have to do so again in the future.
+1
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am... Fight it from the inside out. Reduce the 25% tip to say 20%. ...
You're punishing the server who makes sub-minimum wage for the decisions of the business owner?
andyhere

Post by andyhere »

My Mid-Florida Credit Union Card gives 2.5% cash back. No cap. No fees.

Since I don't live near one of its branches, I had to go back and forth via email to get the account set up.

It has been about a year, and has worked out fine.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

andyhere wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm My Mid-Florida Credit Union Card gives 2.5% cash back. No cap. No fees.

Since I don't live near one of its branches, I had to go back and forth via email to get the account set up.

Is that the name of the CU - MID FLORIDA ? For an extra .5% cash back … I am in … that is about an extra 15 bucks a month for me over my 2% Citicard

Found it on line thanks
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Some posts speculating on possible criminal activity have been removed. As a reminder, see Non-actionable (Trolling) Topics:
If readers can't do anything with the content of a topic other than argue about it, it does not belong here. Examples include:
  • US or world economic, political, tax, health care and climate policies
  • conspiracy theories of any type
  • discussions of the crimes, shortcomings or stupidity of other people, whether they be political figures, celebrities, CEOs, Fed chairmen, subprime mortgage borrowers, lottery winners, federal "bailout" recipients, poor people, rich people, etc. Of course, you are welcome to talk about the stupid financial things you have done.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
chazas

Post by chazas »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:10 pm
andyhere wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:55 pm My Mid-Florida Credit Union Card gives 2.5% cash back. No cap. No fees.

Is that the name of the CU - MID FLORIDA ? For an extra .5% cash back … I am in … that is about an extra 15 bucks a month for me over my 2% Citicard

Found it on line thanks
Too bad I live out of their area, looks like a great card.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I just reduce my 18% tip to 0% by not going to restaurants that add surcharges anymore. But, truth be told, the only restaurants I’ve seen in my area that add a fee are small dollar restaurants — pizzerias, taco shops, etc. Sit down restaurants aren’t doing that, yet.

It’s a big game of chicken, to be honest. It costs businesses money to handle cash and it costs businesses money to process credit payments. It costs me nothing to handle a credit card and it costs me money to handle cash. There should be a cash surcharge. :twisted:
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Here's a link to a site that might be useful: https://www.doctorofcredit.com
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

The revised AMEX platinum is out. There is an offer via their affiliate, Resy, for the following.

125k after $6k spend in 6 months
15x on up to $25k spent at restaurants and “Shop Small” in 6 months

Total opportunity: 500,000 MR

A look at the Shop Small map reveals that almost all car dealerships by me are “Shop Small”.

IF you are in the market for a car, it might be worthy your while to negotiate paying the CC processing fee for a dealership to allow you to charge $25k in your card. If it’s a 3.5% processing fee and it costs you $875, you’re getting 500k MR in 1 legit, non-MS transaction. That’s like buying points for $0.00175 each which is a ridiculous deal.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:41 am The revised AMEX platinum is out. There is an offer via their affiliate, Resy, for the following.

A look at the Shop Small map reveals that almost all car dealerships by me are “Shop Small”.

IF you are in the market for a car, it might be worthy your while to negotiate paying the CC processing fee for a dealership to allow you to charge $25k in your card. If it’s a 3.5% processing fee and it costs you $875, you’re getting 500k MR in 1 legit, non-MS transaction. That’s like buying points for $0.00175 each which is a ridiculous deal.
And YIKES - the annual fee is apparently jumping to $695!

https://www.cnbc.com/select/amex-launch ... int-bonus/

We may want to rethink this, as we are pretty much hermits these days due to Covid.
Maybe just keep a Gold card for now?
(And might they give another bonus for getting another Plat card in the future, or would it work the other way, and they won't want us...?)

RM
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:53 am
Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:41 am The revised AMEX platinum is out. There is an offer via their affiliate, Resy, for the following.

We may want to rethink this, as we are pretty much hermits these days due to Covid.
(And might they give another bonus for getting another Plat card in the future, or would it work the other way, and they won't want us...?)

RM
Year 1 with the new card, if you sign up right now, is pretty good TBH:

$215 Uber
$400 Prepaid Fine Hotel and Resort credit (somewhat of a pain to use, admittedly)
$400 Airline fee credit (easy to use if you’re a United flyer)
$150 Saks credit (I buy a nice Lacoste or Ralph Lauren t-shirt every 6 months.)

The rest of the credits are situational. Perhaps you want CLEAR? If so you could snag 2 years of membership. Perhaps you have a subscription to SiriusXM/Audible/NYTimes? Thats $200 in your pocket if so. If not, it’s not really worth anything IMO. Perhaps you go to Equinox? If so, that’s $300 in your pocket. If not, it’s worthless.

500k points is nothing to sneeze at. At the absolute worst possible level of redemption (statement credit at $0.006/pt) we’re talking $3000.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

This is copied from their terms page on the Rest web page:
Earn 15x points on eligible purchases with your new American Express Platinum Card at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S., on up to $6,000 in combined purchases, during your first 6 months of Card Membership. That's an additional 14 points on top of the 1 point you earn for these purchases as a benefit of the Card.
Looks like it is $6k and not $25k for small business. Still not a bad deal as we are looking to buy a car later this year. 90k points is still 90k points and worth at least $900 for us though I figure we can get about 1.5 cents per point from them.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a contentious post and reply regarding cash discounts as related to tax evasion.

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

EnjoyIt wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:11 am Looks like it is $6k and not $25k for small business. Still not a bad deal as we are looking to buy a car later this year. 90k points is still 90k points and worth at least $900 for us though I figure we can get about 1.5 cents per point from them.
I believe this is a typo on the T&C which wouldn’t be unsurprising with all the changes just put out live today.

The offer splash screen clearly states:
Earn 125,000 Membership Rewards® points, plus earn 15x points at restaurants worldwide and when you Shop Small in the U.S. on up to $25,000 in combined purchases during your first 6 months of Card Membership.
Of course, I could be wrong, but that aligns with other various similar offers AMEX is doing right now.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Jags4186 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:01 am
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:53 am

RM
Year 1 with the new card, if you sign up right now, is pretty good TBH:

$215 Uber
$400 Prepaid Fine Hotel and Resort credit (somewhat of a pain to use, admittedly)
$400 Airline fee credit (easy to use if you’re a United flyer)
$150 Saks credit (I buy a nice Lacoste or Ralph Lauren t-shirt every 6 months.)

The rest of the credits are situational. Perhaps you want CLEAR? If so you could snag 2 years of membership. Perhaps you have a subscription to SiriusXM/Audible/NYTimes? Thats $200 in your pocket if so. If not, it’s not really worth anything IMO. Perhaps you go to Equinox? If so, that’s $300 in your pocket. If not, it’s worthless.

500k points is nothing to sneeze at. At the absolute worst possible level of redemption (statement credit at $0.006/pt) we’re talking $3000.
Since I already have the card the extra mileage bonuses don't apply to me.
At the high fee, I doubt I would keep the card next year unless I am doing a lot of traveling. I'd be better off canceling it, and wait for some other offer and get it later, or get some variant of the card I've never had for the sign up bonus.

I've been trying to reduce my cards but still have too many since sometimes they offer strong bonuses to keep, even though at times I still just cancel the card.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

rich126 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:28 pm Since I already have the card the extra mileage bonuses don't apply to me.
At the high fee, I doubt I would keep the card next year unless I am doing a lot of traveling. I'd be better off canceling it, and wait for some other offer and get it later, or get some variant of the card I've never had for the sign up bonus.
This is in question... There's a debate as to whether you'll be able to get a sign up bonus on different versions. I was planning to get the Charles Schwab Platinum and cancel the standard Platinum I have now but not if I'm not eligible for the CS SUB.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

investor997 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:32 pm
rich126 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:28 pm Since I already have the card the extra mileage bonuses don't apply to me.
This is in question... There's a debate as to whether you'll be able to get a sign up bonus on different versions. I was planning to get the Charles Schwab Platinum and cancel the standard Platinum I have now but not if I'm not eligible for the CS SUB.
That's interesting.

We just got an Amex gold card a few months ago, because of a nice bonus plus some spending perks. I wasn't sure it would work, because we already had the Plat card.
Is it possible to have two Amex Plat cards, one branded, one not?

I just got that Chase card with the 100k bonus points, so I don't want too many hard credit pulls in a short time. I noticed my score very promptly dropped 17 points. Still well above 800, but if that keeps happening, it might accelerate...? Also wondering how long for the score to bounce back up.

After some discussion here on BH about getting very oow credit limits, I was surprised that Chase gave me a much higher limit than I would have asked for. That gives me a lower credit utilization percentage, keeping charging constant, but doesn't it also give me "more potential to get into trouble with high spending" in terms of automatic credit scoring?

RM
investor997

Post by investor997 »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:40 pm Is it possible to have two Amex Plat cards, one branded, one not?
Yep. They're considered two different products. Until now, the strategy was to get a 100K signup bonus on the regular Platinum, wait a year, then sign up for the Charles Schwab Platinum and get *another* signup bonus (60K), then cancel the first Platinum. Then cash out the points into your Schwab account at 1.25cpp unless you had a better way of redeeming value out of them.

As of today, the signup bonuses are higher (125K for regular and 100K for Schwab), but it's not clear any longer if we'll get the 100K 2nd bonus. I have 6 more months until my AF is due again so plenty of time for others to be guinea pigs.

Oh, and there are also rumors of the cashout redemption value at Schwab decreasing. Latest is 1.1cpp. Still as of yet unconfirmed, I think.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:40 pm I just got that Chase card with the 100k bonus points, so I don't want too many hard credit pulls in a short time. I noticed my score very promptly dropped 17 points. Still well above 800, but if that keeps happening, it might accelerate...? Also wondering how long for the score to bounce back up.
Usually 2 years after the last credit card is opened. Yes, too many credit cards in too short span of time (defined 6 months or less) will indicate that you are attempting to "break out" -- that is, max the credit cards and skip town. So every subsequent inquiry on your credit report, whether you are granted the card or not, will penalize you more and more in points.

Best to keep the credit inquiries to 1 every six months, even less if possible.
Lyrrad

Post by Lyrrad »

investor997 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:44 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:40 pm Is it possible to have two Amex Plat cards, one branded, one not?
Yep. They're considered two different products. Until now, the strategy was to get a 100K signup bonus on the regular Platinum, wait a year, then sign up for the Charles Schwab Platinum and get *another* signup bonus (60K), then cancel the first Platinum. Then cash out the points into your Schwab account at 1.25cpp unless you had a better way of redeeming value out of them.

As of today, the signup bonuses are higher (125K for regular and 100K for Schwab), but it's not clear any longer if we'll get the 100K 2nd bonus. I have 6 more months until my AF is due again so plenty of time for others to be guinea pigs.

Oh, and there are also rumors of the cashout redemption value at Schwab decreasing. Latest is 1.1cpp. Still as of yet unconfirmed, I think.
The rumor is that the cashout redemption value will decrease on September 1, 2021. Note that while you are allowed to hold multiple consumer Platinum cards at the same time, you can't get two Platinum cards in a 90 day period. I'm strongly considering getting the Schwab Platinum card without the sign up bonus (I've had the card before), in order to cash out my points at the higher rate. I think I'll use enough of the regular Platinum benefits to cover most of the $700 fee for the first year to make the cost small compared with the increased redemption value.
investor997

Post by investor997 »

Lyrrad wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:25 am The rumor is that the cashout redemption value will decrease on September 1, 2021. Note that while you are allowed to hold multiple consumer Platinum cards at the same time, you can't get two Platinum cards in a 90 day period. I'm strongly considering getting the Schwab Platinum card without the sign up bonus (I've had the card before), in order to cash out my points at the higher rate. I think I'll use enough of the regular Platinum benefits to cover most of the $700 fee for the first year to make the cost small compared with the increased redemption value.
Well.. As of right now, the offer is 100K after $6K spend for the CS Platinum. The question is: If one were to apply for the CS Platinum today and get accepted, are they given the option to cash out at 1.25cpp? It seems they've completely removed all language regarding the cashout option from their website.
Tingting1013

Re: Favorite Credit Cards

Post by Tingting1013 »

Tingting1013 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:22 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:00 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:14 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:22 am The Sears Shop Your Way MasterCard.

Before you laugh, here are just a few of the specials offers I’ve received on it:

For total eligible online purchases of $500 or more made each month from 2/1/21 through 4/30/21, you'll earn 20% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total statement credit of $150 each month).

For total eligible online purchases of $400 or more made each month from 11/01/20 through 1/31/21, you’ll earn 10% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total statement credit of $100 each month).

earn a $75 statement credit on eligible purchases totaling $750 or more with your Shop Your Way Mastercard® made from 9/15/2020 through 11/13/2020

Also, 5% back on gas and 3% back at restaurants and grocery stores, redeemable for a wide variety of gift cards (including Apple)
Putting another plug in for the Shop Your Way card. This month it’s offering:

15% back for Gas / Grocery / Restaurants up to $150 back
10% back for Travel / Entertainment up to $150 back
10% back for Clothing / Department Stores up to $55 back
Is this card available to sign up for/can you provide a link? I always see the incredible offers they have and want to get in on it, but there are so many Sears cards and its not always easy to figure out which one you’re applying for.
https://www.shopyourway.com/mp/app/19375/l/card

The bonus offers I’ve mentioned are not publicized, but rather are emailed to you to activate at the beginning of every month. Here is a blogger who gets it:

https://themoneyninja.com/shop-your-way ... Store_Card
Current promotion on the SYW card is a doozy:

For total eligible gas station, grocery store and restaurant purchases of $1,500 or more made each month from 7/1/2021 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 9/30/2021, you’ll earn 10% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total of $200 in statement credit(s) each month for this offer).
tj

Post by tj »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:18 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:22 am The Sears Shop Your Way MasterCard.

Before you laugh, here are just a few of the specials offers I’ve received on it:

For total eligible online purchases of $500 or more made each month from 2/1/21 through 4/30/21, you'll earn 20% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total statement credit of $150 each month).

For total eligible online purchases of $400 or more made each month from 11/01/20 through 1/31/21, you’ll earn 10% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total statement credit of $100 each month).

earn a $75 statement credit on eligible purchases totaling $750 or more with your Shop Your Way Mastercard® made from 9/15/2020 through 11/13/2020

Also, 5% back on gas and 3% back at restaurants and grocery stores, redeemable for a wide variety of gift cards (including Apple)

Is this card available to sign up for/can you provide a link? I always see the incredible offers they have and want to get in on it, but there are so many Sears cards and its not always easy to figure out which one you’re applying for.

The bonus offers I’ve mentioned are not publicized, but rather are emailed to you to activate at the beginning of every month. Here is a blogger who gets it:

For total eligible gas station, grocery store and restaurant purchases of $1,500 or more made each month from 7/1/2021 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 9/30/2021, you’ll earn 10% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total of $200 in statement credit(s) each month for this offer).
Does everyone get these promos or do people get targeted?
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

tj wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:29 pm

Does everyone get these promos or do people get targeted?
Everyone
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

I should also mention that these cash rebates are on top of the 5 points for gas and 3 points for restaurants/grocery that you get normally with the card. I redeem the points 1:1 for DoorDash/UberEats gift cards.

The gas deal in particular makes the Chevron two blocks away from my house as cheap as the Costco gas 10 miles away. Big improvement in my quality of life.
Last edited by Tingting1013 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tj

Post by tj »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:35 pm

I should also mention that these cash rebates are on top of the 5 points for gas and 3 points for restaurants/grocery that you get normally with the card. I redeem the points 1:1 for DoorDash gift cards.

The gas deal in particular makes the Chevron two blocks away from my house as cheap as the Costco gas 10 miles away. Big improvement in my quality of life.
What else can you use the points for?
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

tj wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:37 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:35 pm

I should also mention that these cash rebates are on top of the 5 points for gas and 3 points for restaurants/grocery that you get normally with the card. I redeem the points 1:1 for DoorDash gift cards.

What else can you use the points for?
https://www.shopyourway.com/giftcards/
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

It has nothing to do with the last 16 months - it's not like they had the ability to do this previously and were choosing not to out of the goodness of their hearts. Adding this is not a temporary thing - they plan on doing even after "rebuilding financially"
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

spammagnet wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:39 pm
Jeepergeo wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:09 am... Fight it from the inside out. Reduce the 25% tip to say 20%. ...
You're punishing the server who makes sub-minimum wage for the decisions of the business owner?
At the risk of this becoming another infamous tipping thread, servers are guaranteed minimum wage. Where applicable, they receive sub-minimum wage BECAUSE of the fact that they receive tips. If they don't receive tips, the employer must make up the difference - and pay the applicable FICA taxes.

Choosing not to take a position on what system is better - but the notion that servers would get less than minimum wage if people didn't tip is just false
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Lately I been going down the route of straight cash back. I used to manage a bunch of cards and chase new sign up offers but now I value simplicity. I know I am not Maximizing my spend but it's okay.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

My new Chase Sapphire Preferred card arrived, and I've just changed Instacart to that number, so the addition begins. We also have some tuition to pay, and I waited for the card to arrive, so we don't need to nickel and dime our way to the total within the time limit.

Question: I added DH as an authorized user. Did I make a mistake or will he still be able to apply for his *own* Chase Sapphire Preferred and get that 100k bonus?
IF I goofed, can I ask to have him removed ("what a horrible fight we had!" Heh. :D ) ?
Or would his application go through, assuming excellent credit, etc.?

I had applied for an AAdvantage CitiCard "of my own" after I was already an authorized user on DH's account, but that was quite a while ago. And it wasn't Chase, anyway.

Thanks.

RM
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:53 pm... Question: I added DH as an authorized user. Did I make a mistake or will he still be able to apply for his *own* Chase Sapphire Preferred and get that 100k bonus?
IF I goofed, can I ask to have him removed ("what a horrible fight we had!" Heh. :D ) ...
He can apply on his own but Chase is pretty strict about the number of new credit cards (from any bank) they allow within a 24 month period. If you exceed that, they'll decline the application. AU cards count as new cards, in their consideration. It would be best to withdraw his card.

NB: Consider referring DH for a new account, when he opens one. You'll get a bonus but it may affect whether the annual fee is deferred, and how many points he gets as a new account bonus. Compare the result before you decide which approach to use.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

spammagnet wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:53 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:53 pm... Question: I added DH as an authorized user. Did I make a mistake or will he still be able to apply for his *own* Chase Sapphire Preferred and get that 100k bonus?
IF I goofed, can I ask to have him removed ("what a horrible fight we had!" Heh. :D ) ...
He can apply on his own but Chase is pretty strict about the number of new credit cards (from any bank) they allow within a 24 month period. If you exceed that, they'll decline the application. AU cards count as new cards, in their consideration. It would be best to withdraw his card.

NB: Consider referring DH for a new account, when he opens one. You'll get a bonus but it may affect whether the annual fee is deferred, and how many points he gets as a new account bonus. Compare the result before you decide which approach to use.
Oh dear... if I "withdraw" his card, wouldn't that still show in "his history"?
I obviously didn't think through the "of course, why shouldn't I add him" decision.
:oops:

We'll want to wait a couple of months anyway, because I first have to complete my "spend" within the first few months. Before the pandemic, we spent a lot more, especially on travel, so meeting a spending requirement wasn't anything we'd have given a second thought.
I liked the idea of trying to prepay accounts like phone or utilities. Or maybe our insurance? I'll see if that works.

Thanks.

RM
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

So you have to spend $1500 a month on gas, groceries and restaurants to get the 10%? Is it only on purchases over $1500 a month, or at dollar $1500 do you get $150 credit?
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:15 pmOh dear... if I "withdraw" his card, wouldn't that still show in "his history"?
I obviously didn't think through the "of course, why shouldn't I add him" decision.
:oops: ...
I recall being in a similar situation but don't recall the details. I think it involved a conversation with somebody at the bank (Chase) to disclaim any association with the AU card I had been given, and which was retracted. The result was that I qualified for the new card I wanted.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

JBTX wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:15 pm

So you have to spend $1500 a month on gas, groceries and restaurants to get the 10%? Is it only on purchases over $1500 a month, or at dollar $1500 do you get $150 credit?
You have to spend at least $1500 in one month to get anything. Really separates the boys from the men...
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 am

You have to spend at least $1500 in one month to get anything. Really separates the boys from the men...
You may get the 10%, per month, for 3 months if you exceed the monthly threshold, but there is a $10000 limit on the base 5%, 3%, 2% benefit. While it seems possible to use this to your benefit, you really have to track it. I may look at it further but I'm not seeing the net positive given the hoops. The base benefits aren't spectacular and I mostly get them on other cards.
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

JBTX wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:09 am
Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:59 am

You may get the 10%, per month, for 3 months if you exceed the monthly threshold, but there is a $10000 limit on the base 5%, 3%, 2% benefit. While it seems possible to use this to your benefit, you really have to track it. I may look at it further but I'm not seeing the net positive given the hoops. The base benefits aren't spectacular and I mostly get them on other cards.
Forget the base benefits, what other card is paying out 10% on gas/grocery/restaurants for Q3?