Chase Sapphire Preferred

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
samsoes

Chase Sapphire Preferred

Post by samsoes »

Hi folks,

I received an "invitation" in the mail over the weekend inviting me to apply for a Chase Sapphire Preferred card, with a signup bonus of 50,000 points if I spend 5k in three months (doable, over the course of regular spending). The first year fee is waived, and subsequent years are $95/per. This typically might be a good deal, however...

- the points aren't transferrable to American Airlines, where I do all of my mile accumulation, primarily through Citibank's AA card. (I've recently used AAdvantage miles to book a travel for a mission trip to Ecuador on AA's partner, LAN airlines. I travel to South America every two years for mission trips, and an extra 50k point sure would come in handy.) I can transfer the Sapphire points to United or Southwest for domestic travel, but I really won't get the same benefit I would if they were transferrable to AA.

- I have all four of my credit reports locked (including Innovis), since I'm hyper-sensitive about identity theft. I called the phone number on the Chase invitation, and the nice lady in a far-off exotic land couldn't tell me which agency they would pull from. I'd rather not to through the hassle, expense, and exposure to unlock all 4 reports for this purpose, but I will if it's worth it.

So, what's the consensus - would it be worth it?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Joey_Freshwater

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred

Post by Joey_Freshwater »

I love Chase Sapphire preferred. Transfer points to any domestic carrier. Also, if you call the number on the back it will just connect you straight to a person instead of having to go through a menu.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

I always transfer points to Hyatt and get great value that way. I have plenty of miles though, so I don't need to transfer them to airlines.
SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA »

Joey_Freshwater wrote:I love Chase Sapphire preferred. Transfer points to any domestic carrier. Also, if you call the number on the back it will just connect you straight to a person instead of having to go through a menu.
Agreed. After getting so used to having to press buttons to get through menus with a robo customer service, it always catches you off guard to call their customer service and go straight to a live person. It's kind of nice.
Topic Author
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Joey_Freshwater wrote:I love Chase Sapphire preferred. Transfer points to any domestic carrier. Also, if you call the number on the back it will just connect you straight to a person instead of having to go through a menu.
Nah, they aren't transferrable to any domestic carrier, just to United, Southwest, British Airways, and Korean Air:

http://milecards.com/2210/chase-sapphir ... -partners/

-ss
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies »

CSP is great, but not if you don't have a purpose for it. It sounds like you're a guy who wants to stick to AA, so I don't really see a reason to go with the CSP.

FWIW, this isn't some limited time offer or exclusive invitation, so don't feel pressured to apply now. It's the standard everyday offer that's available to everyone:

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-ca ... -card.aspx
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

If you are into the bonus game...or even just an occasional player like me, this is one of the best deal going.

It's effectively $500 free money, albeit, yeah, you do have to spend that money in a certain way. But it's still free money. Get the card, get the miles. Transfer them to even a non-optimal carrier and cancel or convert the card before the second year to avoid the $95 fee.
That's what I did...converted the card to the non-fee version and will cancel, maybe, if I find that there's no further reason to keep it.

Money for nuthin'.. :D

EDIT: Another great bonus deal for bigger spenders is the Chase British Airways card. 100,000 British Airways AVIOS points for $20,000 spend within the first year. You can then book domestic flights thru their network. Regional flights are 7500 each way. If you spend a lot on credit cards, this could be a good deal. $100 fee not waived, however.
sharpjm

Post by sharpjm »

The current online offers are 50k points after 4k spend. So your 5k offer isn't anything special. I think the CSP is overhyped because of how flexible the points are. My plan is to cancel before the 1 year mark on mine.
Topic Author
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Hello again, OP here - thank you for the input, I appreciate it.
Happy Monday, folks!
-SS
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Leesbro63 wrote:
EDIT: Another great bonus deal for bigger spenders is the Chase British Airways card. 100,000 British Airways AVIOS points for $20,000 spend within the first year. You can then book domestic flights thru their network. Regional flights are 7500 each way. If you spend a lot on credit cards, this could be a good deal. $100 fee not waived, however.
Good bonus but that's a ton of spend. I don't put anywhere near $20k on cards annually.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

BW1985 wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:
Good bonus but that's a ton of spend. I don't put anywhere near $20k on cards annually.
Actually it's $2000 spend within 3 months for 50,000 points then the balance over a year for the balance of the points. Might be worth it for 50,000, although the $100 fee kinda puts a little damper on that. The ability to book cheaper domestic flights at the last minute via points, at the same rate, (versus a high cash fee for last minutes flights) is another advantage of points here.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

I don't fly enough to warrant the Sapphire so I just switched from Chase Freedom to Chase Freedom Unlimited. I use my cc for work (and home) and then get reimbursed. I spend around $60k/yr. I also got $175 in bonus the first month.
JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH »

BW1985 wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:
I put anything and everything I can possibly charge on credit cards. It gives me extended warranty coverage and miles I can use for air travel. I'm playing the credit card game to get signup bonuses and even though I've taken out a fair number of new cards my FICO score is still 825. Not that I ever buy anything on credit... I just like seeing the number :happy

Chase Sapphire also has no foreign exchange fees, another benefit.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

My wife and I have both churned through the Chase Sapphire Preferred bonus offer twice over about three or four years. Not sure why they allowed us a second bonus. I understand that Chase is now on to "serial churners". $2000 for free from Chase. Thanks Chase. :greedy
tacster

Post by tacster »

Leesbro63 wrote: EDIT: Another great bonus deal for bigger spenders is the Chase British Airways card. 100,000 British Airways AVIOS points for $20,000 spend within the first year. You can then book domestic flights thru their network. Regional flights are 7500 each way. If you spend a lot on credit cards, this could be a good deal. $100 fee not waived, however.
I looked up this card and am not seeing a 100k points offer...it says 75k points after $15k purchases in the first year. Am I looking in the wrong place? Link: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-ca ... -card.aspx
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

We have an Ink+ and CSP - both of which will transfer UR points to travel partners.

We also have a Freedom with 5% rotating categories which will transfer to either the Ink+ or CSP. When the annual fee is due on the CSP I'm going to downgrade it to a Freedom so we can double our 5% spending.

For us, the Ink+ with 5% back at office supply stores and cell phone/internet charges is more valuable than the CSP. IMO, the CSP is tired and dated and needs to be updated. The only thing it has going for it is primary coverage on rental cars. (Which is big if that's important to you.)
silvervknight

Post by silvervknight »

Not to mention CSP gives you 20% extra on your Ultimate Rewards (UR) points when you book flight directly via Ultimate Rewards portal. For example, if you book a $100 ticket, you can:

Pay $100 through your card
Pay 10,000 points (using other Chase cards) or
Pay 8,000 points using CSP.

Combining CSP, Freedom's 5% category rotation, and now the new Unlimited's 1.5% cash back can stretch your reward points quite a distance.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/09/5-thing ... preferred/ the point guy gives even more specific tips on using CSP.

http://thepointsguy.com/2015/08/lesser- ... -benefits/ and some of the lesser known benefits for having CSP.

And yes, echoing everyone else's comment, having a live customer person instantly on the other side is really quite magical.

I plan to cancel my CSP before the annual fee sets in (first year is waived) and have my wife apply for CSP and transfer all the points over. Does anyone else do that to avoid the annual fees? Just wondering. :wink:
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

tacster wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote: EDIT: Another great bonus deal for bigger spenders is the Chase British Airways card. 100,000 British Airways AVIOS points for $20,000 spend within the first year. You can then book domestic flights thru their network. Regional flights are 7500 each way. If you spend a lot on credit cards, this could be a good deal. $100 fee not waived, however.
I looked up this card and am not seeing a 100k points offer...it says 75k points after $15k purchases in the first year. Am I looking in the wrong place? Link: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-ca ... -card.aspx
Hmmm...maybe the offer changed since I got mine in March. I'd call and tell them that you heard about the 100K offer and see if they'll honor that.
supernova72

Post by supernova72 »

I've had this card about 4 months and love it. Besides what's been stated in previous posts about 50K miles etc I like the fact that almost all dining is 2X points. I eat out a lot (I know) and over 4 months have earned almost 75K points. I'm spending about 3K a month just to be fair about how I'm earning.

Plus when you go to book a flight if you use your miles they give you a 20% add meaning my miles area already worth $900 towards travel.

I've had other travel cards and have already cancelled one of them and will soon cancel the 2nd one. Plus when you call the number someone literally answers the phone and says "Hello Mr Olson". No menus to wade through...
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

samsoes wrote: - the points aren't transferrable to American Airlines, where I do all of my mile accumulation, primarily through Citibank's AA card. (I've recently used AAdvantage miles to book a travel for a mission trip to Ecuador on AA's partner, LAN airlines. I travel to South America every two years for mission trips, and an extra 50k point sure would come in handy.)
Chase Ultimate Rewards points (which you accrue with Sapphire) are transferable to British Airways, an AA partner. Last I checked you could book AA flights on BA with Avios points, and I don't believe those flights to South America are subject to the same high fees that BA gets on flights to Europe. Check it out.

In addition you should also apply for the Chase Freedom card which works with Sapphire, get an additional bonus on a fee-free card which allows you to accumulate 5x UR points in various categories throughout the year.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue May 03, 2016 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
newinvestor84

Post by newinvestor84 »

Citi has an American Airlines card, AAdvantage Platinum, which has a bonus offer of 50,000 miles after $3000 in spend, with the annual fee waived the first year. Search around a bit online and you should be able to find this offer. It sounds like a better fit for your travel plans.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

newinvestor84 wrote:Citi has an American Airlines card, AAdvantage Platinum, which has a bonus offer of 50,000 miles after $3000 in spend, with the annual fee waived the first year. Search around a bit online and you should be able to find this offer. It sounds like a better fit for your travel plans.
The 50,000 mile offer is for their business card unfortunately, the regular card is 30,000 miles.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

samsoes wrote:So, what's the consensus - would it be worth it?
Relying on consensus is never the way to determine if something is worth it to you as worth is a subjective matter. Relying on consensus is just following the herd. The CSP is worth it to me but all my travel is on United and United is a UR travel partner. You need to do your own due diligence to determine if any card is suited to you. Are any of the UR partners airlines in an alliance with AA that you could use? Could you make use of any of the airlines that are UR partners? Do any of the other redemption options provide a value per UR point that would make it worthwhile to you?
samsoes wrote:I received an "invitation" in the mail over the weekend inviting me to apply
Invites, preapprovals, offers, etc are all just marketing. Don't just respond to marketing. Sort out your needs/wants and use that to find cards that suit you. IMO, as stated above, the invite offer isn't better than the standard offer. If one has the amount of spend needed to take advantage of the CSP then either spend requirement can be easily met.
samsoes wrote:I have all four of my credit reports locked (including Innovis)
There are many more than just 4 CRA's. There are the 3 majors and many secondaries.
tacster wrote:I looked up this card and am not seeing a 100k points offer...it says 75k points after $15k purchases in the first year. Am I looking in the wrong place? Link: https://creditcards.chase.com/credit-ca ... -card.aspx
Offers can and do change over time.
supernova72 wrote:Plus when you go to book a flight if you use your miles they give you a 20% add meaning my miles area already worth $900 towards travel.
Make sure you carefully compare to transferring to partners. Usually transferring offers better value but you really have to compare. In certain situations the portal can offer a better deal. Don't just fixate on the 20%.
Last edited by takeshi on Tue May 03, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

BW1985 wrote:
newinvestor84 wrote:Citi has an American Airlines card, AAdvantage Platinum, which has a bonus offer of 50,000 miles after $3000 in spend, with the annual fee waived the first year. Search around a bit online and you should be able to find this offer. It sounds like a better fit for your travel plans.
The 50,000 mile offer is for their business card unfortunately, the regular card is 30,000 miles.
I did get the 50,000 points bonus on a consumer card. Not sure if it was in a targeted mail for some link or another. I did this late January, 2016
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
bowest

Post by bowest »

Big fan of Chase Sapphire Preferred for all reasons outlined by other posters.

Two other very valuable benefits.

-Primary auto rental coverage included as long as you charge rental to your card. This is similar to Amex's premium car rental protection which costs $19.95. Most cards generally offer secondary insurance (so it has to go through your existing auto policy first).

-Loss/damage protection. Have used twice with full reimbursement with no hassle.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

bowest wrote:Big fan of Chase Sapphire Preferred for all reasons outlined by other posters.

-Primary auto rental coverage included as long as you charge rental to your card. This is similar to Amex's premium car rental protection which costs $19.95. Most cards generally offer secondary insurance (so it has to go through your existing auto policy first).

-Loss/damage protection. Have used twice with full reimbursement with no hassle.
What is the loss/damage protection against?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
I did get the 50,000 points bonus on a consumer card. Not sure if it was in a targeted mail for some link or another. I did this late January, 2016
Nice, maybe it changed since January, or targeted like you say. Tried to find 50k offer and couldn't, if anyone knows where to find please share!

Trying to decide what my next two Chase cards will be since that will put me at the 5/24 rule, then I'll switch to Citi. Thinking United MileagePlus and then one of the hotel cards.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

BW1985 wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
Nice, maybe it changed since January, or targeted like you say. Tried to find 50k offer and couldn't, if anyone knows where to find please share!

Trying to decide what my next two Chase cards will be since that will put me at the 5/24 rule, then I'll switch to Citi. Thinking United MileagePlus and then one of the hotel cards.
The 50,000 bonus on the AAdvantage personal card isn't available anymore. It'll probably be back in a couple months or so, the bonuses goes up and down every few months. There are targeted offers for 60k miles, and Citi will give you the additional 10k if you apply for the 50k and send them a secure message saying you say the 60k offer after you applied.
seine

Post by seine »

Another advantage of CSP is there are very few excluded countries for CDW. Most cards excludes Ireland, and Australia, CSP does not.
Never become obsessed about the importance of owning stuff.
Joey_Freshwater

Post by Joey_Freshwater »

Make sure before you downgrade from CSP to either Freedom or Chase Sapphire (no annual fee version of CSP) that you transfer your points out of UR or they will be stuck and you cannot transfer them to travel partners.
boater07

Post by boater07 »

Joey_Freshwater wrote:Make sure before you downgrade from CSP to either Freedom or Chase Sapphire (no annual fee version of CSP) that you transfer your points out of UR or they will be stuck and you cannot transfer them to travel partners.
I'm told by CSR that the UR points transfer automatically to new F card. Did this not happen to you?
You just loose opportunity to transfer to other partners but can still get cash rewards.
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

boater07 wrote:
Joey_Freshwater wrote:Make sure before you downgrade from CSP to either Freedom or Chase Sapphire (no annual fee version of CSP) that you transfer your points out of UR or they will be stuck and you cannot transfer them to travel partners.
I'm told by CSR that the UR points transfer automatically to new F card. Did this not happen to you?
You just loose opportunity to transfer to other partners but can still get cash rewards.
They do, I think he meant you will be stuck redeeming them for cash.
dsmil

Post by dsmil »

I tried to downgrade to the new Chase Freedom Unlimited a few days ago but they said that only the normal Chase Sapphire was available to downgrade to.
bowest

Post by bowest »

BW1985 wrote:
bowest wrote:Big fan of Chase Sapphire Preferred for all reasons outlined by other posters.

from Chase's site:

https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/preferred.htm

Purchase Protection*Guide to Benefits to see Purchase Protection details ›
PURCHASE PROTECTION
Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.

EXTENDED WARRANTY PROTECTION
Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer's warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.

PRICE PROTECTION
If a card purchase you made in the U.S. is advertised for less in print or online within 90 days, you can be reimbursed the difference up to $500 per item, $2,500 per year.

RETURN PROTECTION
You can be reimbursed for eligible items that the store won't take back within 90 days of purchase, up to $500 per item, $1,000 per year.
ChiefIlliniwek

Post by ChiefIlliniwek »

BW1985 wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

It looks like these two links are still working.

https://secure.fly.aa.com/citi/footer-plathv

https://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/T ... 87D6823BDF

I got them from this thread on FlyerTalk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-tha ... cards.html
Drew777

Post by Drew777 »

dsmil wrote:I tried to downgrade to the new Chase Freedom Unlimited a few days ago but they said that only the normal Chase Sapphire was available to downgrade to.
I would call back and talk to a different rep. Plenty of people have been able to downgrade from CSP to Freedom Unlimited. The regular Freedom has always been a downgrade option as well.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

ChiefIlliniwek wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
TheGreyingDuke wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

It looks like these two links are still working.

https://secure.fly.aa.com/citi/footer-plathv

https://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/T ... 87D6823BDF

I got them from this thread on FlyerTalk.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/citi-tha ... cards.html
Perfect. Thank you! :sharebeer
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

bowest wrote:
BW1985 wrote:

from Chase's site:

https://www.chase.com/online/sapphire/preferred.htm

Purchase Protection*Guide to Benefits to see Purchase Protection details ›
PURCHASE PROTECTION
Covers your new purchases for 120 days against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account.

EXTENDED WARRANTY PROTECTION
Extends the time period of the U.S. manufacturer's warranty by an additional year, on eligible warranties of three years or less.

PRICE PROTECTION
If a card purchase you made in the U.S. is advertised for less in print or online within 90 days, you can be reimbursed the difference up to $500 per item, $2,500 per year.

RETURN PROTECTION
You can be reimbursed for eligible items that the store won't take back within 90 days of purchase, up to $500 per item, $1,000 per year.
Those are pretty nice benefits that I was not aware of. This card just keeps looking more attractive to keep.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

So I wonder if you pay for a car on this, would the warranty be doubled? Even if you had to pay the dealer's 2% juice, it might be a cheap extended warranty.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Leesbro63 wrote:So I wonder if you pay for a car on this, would the warranty be doubled? Even if you had to pay the dealer's 2% juice, it might be a cheap extended warranty.
That would be nice but it says on eligible warranties, I doubt a car would fall under their eligible warranties qualifier.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

BW1985 wrote:
Leesbro63 wrote:So I wonder if you pay for a car on this, would the warranty be doubled? Even if you had to pay the dealer's 2% juice, it might be a cheap extended warranty.
That would be nice but it says on eligible warranties, I doubt a car would fall under their eligible warranties qualifier.
I kinda figured there would be no way a credit card warranty would get involved with auto warranty issues, but figured I'd toss it out there.
bowest

Post by bowest »

[img][img][/img][/img]
Leesbro63 wrote:
BW1985 wrote:
I kinda figured there would be no way a credit card warranty would get involved with auto warranty issues, but figured I'd toss it out there.
No cars, boats, aircraft (heh), software nor medical equipment is covered.

What items are not covered?
• Boats, automobiles, aircraft, and any other motorized vehicles and
their motors, equipment, or accessories, including trailers and other
items that can be towed by or attached to any motorized vehicle
• Any costs other than those specifically covered under the terms of
the original manufacturer- written U.S. repair warranty, as supplied
by the original manufacturer, or other eligible warranty
• Items purchased for resale, professional, or commercial use
• Rented or leased items or items purchased on an installment plan
and for which the entire purchase price was not paid in full at the
time of the occurrence
• Computer software
• Medical equipment
• Used or pre-owned items
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Just opened this card for the 50,000 bonus points and have the option of adding wife for another 5,000 points. Planning to close the account after I get the bonus.

I HAVE A QUESTION!

If I add my wife as an authorized user, then she opens her own card in 6 months for her 50,000 points, will she qualify for the points? I've heard credit card companies only let you receive bonus every 24 months to prevent churn. I don't know if adding her will show her as a user of the card within the past 24 months.

I guess worse case I can add my 9 year old and just toss the card when it arrives.Thank you!!!
BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA »

ddurrett896 wrote:Just opened this card for the 50,000 bonus points and have the option of adding wife for another 5,000 points. Planning to close the account after I get the bonus.

I HAVE A QUESTION!

If I add my wife as an authorized user, then she opens her own card in 6 months for her 50,000 points, will she qualify for the points? I've heard credit card companies only let you receive bonus every 24 months to prevent churn. I don't know if adding her will show her as a user of the card within the past 24 months.

I guess worse case I can add my 9 year old and just toss the card when it arrives.Thank you!!!
My advise would be to send Chase a Secure Message on their site to ask. They will look it up for you and confirm. I can tell you that in my experience when I did this with a relative, they were still able to qualify for the bonus on a Chase Freedom card even though they had been an authorized user, so you should be fine, but check to confirm. I would recommend keeping the card until month 10 or so, especially if you have the Chase Freedom or Unlimited, since you can transfer the points to the Sapphire Preferred and then transfer them out to travel partners.
German Expat

Post by German Expat »

ddurrett896 wrote:Just opened this card for the 50,000 bonus points and have the option of adding wife for another 5,000 points. Planning to close the account after I get the bonus.

I HAVE A QUESTION!

Better for her to open the Saphire Reserve, you get 100k bonus points. The fee looks on first glance relative high with 450 but you will get 300 travel costs reimbursed. Chase is flooded though and run out of the metal cards :happy
Also remember the 5/24 rule with Chase in case you are a heavier churner.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

German Expat wrote:

I HAVE A QUESTION!

Better for her to open the Saphire Reserve, you get 100k bonus points. The fee looks on first glance relative high with 450 but you will get 300 travel costs reimbursed. Chase is flooded though and run out of the metal cards :happy
+1 for the CSR recommendation if you have any travel expenses at all.

I would re-consider adding your wife as an AU if she will be applying for her own Chase cards as the AU will count as a new card for her.
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

I only skimmed some of the posts, but I will say I'm pretty high on the card. I just passed the one-year anniversary mark and paid the $95 annual fee. It's the sole credit card for which I pay a fee, by the way.

I collected sign-up bonus points with Chase Ink Bold and Ink Plus (when that card was still around), so I've got a decent stash now. I like the travel protection benefits the card offers.

Specifically, when our return flight from Rome got canceled earlier this year due to a severe winter snow storm in NYC, we ended up spending an extra couple of nights in Rome until Alitalia could get us back to the US. As we had put the flights on our Chase Sapphire Preferred card, we were able to file a claim and get our two nights of the hotel plus something for food during the extended stay covered by the trip protection card feature.

As chance would have it, we actually collected a few hundred dollars more than the claim was for. I still don't know exactly how that happened, but the claim check will cover a number of years in annual membership dues. :D

It was a bit of a stroke of luck that I happened to charge the flight tickets to my Chase card, but I'm sure glad I did and I now take care to charge airfares, hotels and similar travel costs to the card.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
German Expat wrote:

I HAVE A QUESTION!

I would re-consider adding your wife as an AU if she will be applying for her own Chase cards as the AU will count as a new card for her.
Are you sure about that? I didn't even have to put in my wife's social when I added her as an AU so I don't see how it could count.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

BW1985 wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
German Expat wrote:

I HAVE A QUESTION!

Are you sure about that? I didn't even have to put in my wife's social when I added her as an AU so I don't see how it could count.
You can check her credit reports or Credit Karma after your card "reports" to see if she is listed as an AU there. I have no idea if she will be listed, but if she is, that will almost certainly count as a "new card" for 5/24 in the eyes of Chase. Some applicants for the CSR have reported that they have been able to get Chase's recon dept to ignore the AU status by telling them that they no longer use that particular card. YMMV.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I HAVE A QUESTION!

In July of 2015, I got the CSP and added my wife as an authorized user. Back when I got the card, the bonus, if memory serves me right, was 40,000 points. I got the 40k points plus an extra 5000 points for adding my wife as an authorized user. In June of 2016, my wife got the CSP and added me as an authorized user. She got 50,000 points as a bonus for her new account and an extra 5000 points for adding me as an authorized user. So there is no problem for both spouses to get the card within a year, add each other as authorized users, and collect 110k points combined (along with additional points that will be earned on the cards to meet the required minimum spending of $4000 in the first three months to earn the bonus).

We've kept my CSP account open and recently paid the $95 annual fee. The benefits of the card are excellent and we've decided it is worth keeping a CSP card and paying the fee. That being said, we don't need two of these cards permanently so plan to close my wife's account in early 2017, before the annual fee hits.

My wife and I also opened up Chase United Cards and added each other as authorized users and got a combined 110,000 miles (along with additional points earned from using the card to meet the minimum spending requirement). There is a $100 savings per year on baggage fees that has offset the $95 annual fee. We've paid $180 in annual fees so far and saved $200 in baggage charges. We're going to close these accounts soon as we don't have plans to fly in the next year.

A husband and wife opening up two cards each has yielded about 240k miles/points. We've just staggered when we applied for the cards so that our regular spending easily covered the minimum spending requirement. Our credit scores remain in good shape (around 830 for each of us) and we haven't come remotely close to even having to think about the 24/5 rule. There is low-hanging fruit out there, ripe for the picking.