How Did You File Your Income Taxes for 2015?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Iorek

Re: How Did You File Your Income Taxes for 2015?

Post by Iorek »

Been using turbotax for a long time but I prefer to print out my return and mail it-- cheaper and I know -- and have a copy of-- exactly what information is going to the IRS.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

jebmke wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:I have always completed my returns personally. In early years (before computers) it was by hand. 2015 was using a link from my state's free efile system where I could complete state and federal returns free. This year it was OLT (Online Taxes). The free software I used the previous 3 years was Tax Slayer, but they did not do it free this year for me, so I switched.
How did you like TaxSlayer. Taxaide is switching from Taxwise to Taxslayer. I have a demo copy but I haven't done much with it and I'm not sure how the online version compares with the desktop software. We do all our returns directly in the forms (no interview mode). Does Taxslayer support that easily?
TaxSlayer was okay. It has the interview mode, but you don't have to follow it, if you do not wish to do so.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
tumbleweedsusan

Post by tumbleweedsusan »

I use a CPA.
I used to do it myself, by hand, when I was normal and had a normal job and a simple return.
Then life got complicated, and I have been using a CPA for 11 years. Our return this year was over 20 forms.
First one charged $250. Last one charged $325. Third guy charged $350 with the $100 first-time client discount this year. I have had problems with each of the 3.

Why is the United States tax code so complicated that even the "experts" are missing things?
obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 »

I filed my income taxes with a CPA this year because it was a very complex tax year for me.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell
furikake

Post by furikake »

CPA. Haven't done taxes myself since college years.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

By hand, but I made a calculation error, but IRS caught it and it increased my refund!
Doing by hand helps me understand the tax code.
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

Long time TurboTax user. Used TaxAct for the first time this year. Generally satisfied with TaxAct and will use it again. Saved money over TurboTax too.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
Bill M

Post by Bill M »

I've always done taxes myself. I wrote an excel spreadsheet that does all the calculations; I update it every year as forms are released. It handles A, B, D, E, 8582, 4797, 6781, 8949s, 6251, 1116, 8606s, 8889, 8959, 8960, and misc others. Used to be just pencil and paper, then fillable pdf files. Now I transfer the numbers into FreeFileFillableForms, print myself a copy, and file electronically. The package currently comes to 21-25 pages.
blaugranamd

Post by blaugranamd »

Had used TurboTax for about 5-6 years, Military OneSource links to free H&R Block for fed and state returns so went that route this year. Seemed almost identical.
-- Don't mistake more funds for more diversity: Total Int'l + Total Market = 7k to 10k stocks -- | -- Market return does NOT = average nor 50th percentile, rather 80-90th percentile long term ---
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

TurboTax
Snail Mail.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

In the end I used Free Tax USA and I e-filed my Federal, then used my state's website to file state because it is a free option.
In the past I have used H&R Block and Tax Act, but as they eliminated or I outgrew the free options I have moved along.

I keep a spreadsheet to project and monitor my taxes throughout the year. I am on a fixed salary without the possibility of bonuses (*.gov) so the only variable is interest and dividends. That being said, I can say I did my taxes by hand, just not with the forms. My taxes are not complicated.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I have an attorney friend who does taxes this time of year in Turbo. I lay it all out and he basically charges me the cost of the software as his fee.
JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter »

Did them in TurboTax, as I have since 1995. Came up with an overpayment/refund so bought HRBlock's software to do it all over, e-file, and get the 10% bonus on the refund. Didn't like that software as much (lack of familiarity played a role, I'm sure), but the bonus more than paid for both pieces of software--and still gave me a decent return on the loan to the Feds.
Edit Signature
MnD

Post by MnD »

TurboTax Deluxe with free federal e-file. Completed the state version in TT but used the state on-line system to e-file it to avoid the TT e-file charge on state. I helped the kids go through the IRS free-file system and both selected TT free file edition and had absolutely free prep and filing for both federal and state. One had two state returns and both were free.

Paper returns significantly increases the cost to federal and state tax agencies not to mention loss, theft, waste, often special mailing service, printer ink, etc. so I would never file a paper return.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Tax Act for the last 3 years. Love it.
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

Turbotax Deluxe with State. Have done so for many years. eFile.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

H&R Block Deluxe+State download.
Spreadsheet to track cost basis of taxable investment accounts.
E-file Federal.
Transcribe HRB state results to state's free filing website.
All records saved as PDF files and backed up to the cloud.
jclarke805

Post by jclarke805 »

FreeFillFillable and then efile. Did all the forms by hand for years so I understand all the forms.

I never liked most tax software and find this much easier and more direct.

It does all the math and then transfers the results to other forms.

Simple taxes with just RMD and SS plus itemized deductions and some investment stuff.

Simple transfer to a similar system for CA taxes.
The goal of life is to make your heartbeat match the beat of the universe, to match your nature with Nature.
Erhnam

Post by Erhnam »

Used H&R Block.

Income was low enough that I could file Federal+Two State returns via e-file for free.
SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA »

Extended mine. Mine are always the last extension I file :shock:
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

TaxAct. Fed + State return was $10.

I've only ever used TaxAct since they used to be free for my situation a while ago and stuck with them ever since. $10 is nothing. I also check TaxAct by doing my taxes by hand.
investor1

Post by investor1 »

Free eFile. Both state and federal.
telemark

Post by telemark »

TaxAct online. I notice that the more expensive versions of TaxAct can import tax information from a CSV (Excel) file, but I couldn't find any way to download it from Vanguard in that format, so I entered it by copy-pasting from the PDFs. A tedious and error-prone process.
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

Pen on paper using a HP48GX calculator, same with state taxes.

Ordered forms in duplicate from the IRS, filled out in pencil on my copies and filled out the IRS's copies in black ink and mailed it in via USPS.

Waiting expectantly for the IRS letter to tell me that I did it wrong and try to give me a larger refund and then me making additional copies along with the relevant tax code and mailing it back detailing what they don't understand about their own rules.... :twisted:
feh

Post by feh »

Had used TaxAct the last several years; switched to TT this year because Fidelity gave it to me for free.

Filed electronically.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Federal: FreeFillableForms.

State: Pen and paper.
Hector

Post by Hector »

MandyT wrote:Federal: FreeFillableForms.

State: Pen and paper.
I did the same.
Philociraptor

Post by Philociraptor »

Another vote for Free Fillable Forms.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

TaxAct Online for three years now.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
whatusername?

Post by whatusername? »

Filled in PDFs from IRS.gov and mailed paper return. I learn a lot by reading the instructions each year and doing the return myself.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Been using hrblock.com for years, before that it was TurboTax.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

I used the free fillable pdfs provided by Uncle Sam and the states of VA and NC, and mailed the hard copies 1st class. I tried using the free versions of TurboTax and HR Block, but in both cases, at a certain point I needed to know the value generated by an intermediate internal calculation, but there was no way to obtain that value and the phone reps were unable to assist. I had failed to take a required minimum distribution from an IRA, and was following the IRS process for requesting a waiver of the penalty. I needed to see the aforementioned value to know whether the software's final calculated tax included the waiver or not. As others have said, I find that doing it manually helps understand what is going on.
Last edited by tinscale on Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

2015 was the 40th straight year I filed my federal and state tax returns, and I have done so the same way every year: by hand with pen and paper and mailed, usually in mid-February.
bfizz

Post by bfizz »

TurboTax (1st year SE and I wanted the easiest software to navigate and learn). Federal = free efile. Two State = print & mailed.
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

Excel spreadsheet during the year. Helps with estimated tax payment calculations. Used Turbotax after year end.

Also use "Its deductible" to track donations during the year.

Free e-file for federal with turbotax. Get 5 free e-files, so can use it for my children's returns.

State website has free electronic file.
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Filed myself with TaxAct.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

Efiled with TurboTax for federal. Printed out state forms to mail for state.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

just finished on friday with taxact online. had seen a deal where it was only $10 bucks.

However, hours after efiling I found a receipt for Goodwill in a bag that I had missed . But I didn't want to file a correction to deduct a hundred bucks. :(
casun

Post by casun »

i used free tax usa. it was easier than turbo tax and only $12.95
stoub

Post by stoub »

I used to fill out everything by hand. About 6 years ago, I got a refund that exceeded what I filed and I didn't understand why, so I figured I should use software to prevent future errors. I've used H&R Block online ever since.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cheese_breath wrote:Turbotax. E-filed federal because it was free. Mailed hard copy state because e-file wasn't free.
That's what I did too. Federal e-file was free, state e-file would've been $24.99. I'm not going to spend that much money for the convenience of avoiding printing out the forms and mailing them in! My state refund is only $50, that would've cut my refund in half!
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Prior years: TaxAct for federal, spread sheet for state. Mail in forms.

This year, TaxAct wanted to charge me for filing Schedule D. Fidelity offered me TurboxTax Premier for free, so I used that for federal. It wouldn't print my state tax form legibly, so I ended up doing state taxes manually. Printed and mailed in forms.

Some shocking observations about TT Premier:
- Prints gibberish when you ask it to print state tax forms for mailing!
- Cannot import a csv file from your broker!
- Cannot handle an attachment for form 8949!
- Awkward handling of tax exempt funds
- Awkward handling of interest from government obligations

It's shocking because TT has been around so long, and costs so much. It's shocking what poor software Americans will tolerate.

I find TT tolerable for Federal since I got it for free. If I had to pay, I'd probably pay for TaxAct before I'd pay for TT. Just my opinion!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

rob wrote:The queues at the post office are small now thanks to all those of you using eFile :D
You had a queue? This afternoon I had to ring the bell for service. The whipper snapper who served me didn't even know it was tax day.

Also stocked up with forever stamps at the new low price.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
rob wrote:The queues at the post office are small now thanks to all those of you using eFile :D
You had a queue? This afternoon I had to ring the bell for service. The whipper snapper who served me didn't even know it was tax day.

Also stocked up with forever stamps at the new low price.
For short postal lines, find a postal service station inside an ACE Hardware. Remembering that most times, I'm the only person in line... even on tax day. Sometimes you may have to wait for the attendant to return. It's really low stress. Don't tell anybody. Shhh.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Soaker

Post by Soaker »

TaxAct through the federal Free File portal. No state tax (Nevada).

I filed electronically on about March 1. Late in March I received a snail-mail letter from the IRS saying they could not complete processing my return because they didn't have a 1095-A to support the amounts I had reported on 8962. That would be the 1095-A that should have gone directly from the Health Insurance Marketplace to the IRS. :? So I snail-mailed back a copy of the 1095-A which I had downloaded from Healthcare.gov and now finally have confirmation that I'll be receiving my refund at the end of this week.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Prepared my taxes via TurboTax (Premier version) and filed both state and federal via e-file. I've been using TurboTax since the late 90's, except for about 3 years where taxes were extremely simple (and I did them by hand). For better or worse, those days are gone and I will probably be using TurboTax for the immediate future. I'm reasonably satisfied with process and cost at this point.
Carson

Post by Carson »

H&R Block Online for federal, then used it to calculate and mail in a 1040x
State website for the state filing (free)

I do keep a spreadsheet that calculates tax liability, but just don't trust myself to use freefillable forms
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
StoneyCWI

Post by StoneyCWI »

Federal & State filed electronically
StoneyCWI

Post by StoneyCWI »

BTW Turbo Tax since it was available
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

StoneyCWI wrote:BTW Turbo Tax since it was available
Tried Turbo tax in the late 90s, horrible program, abandoned it. Since my spouse died last fall who did the taxes by hand, I used turbo tax. Loved it. Greatly improved program especially the part of transferring capital gains and dividends from Vanguard to TT. E filed with feds, mailed it in with the state.
"We have seen much more money made and kept by “ordinary people” who were temperamentally well suited for the investment process than by those who lacked this quality." Ben Graham