How Did You File Your Income Taxes for 2015?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
John151

How Did You File Your Income Taxes for 2015?

Post by John151 »

Most of us have filed our 2015 income taxes by now, and it would be interesting to see how we filed them. Did you do your taxes by hand? Did you have a paid preparer do them for you? Or did you use computer software, and, if so, which software package did you use?

I’d been filing with TurboTax for over fifteen years, and thanks to Vanguard’s discounts, I was usually able to file them for free. When Vanguard dropped its discounts, I decided to try the online version of TaxAct. It wasn’t able to import my investment information from Vanguard, but I had only four Vanguard funds with taxable income in 2015, and it took me only ten minutes or so to enter the information manually. I made a note of the final results and also noted what TaxAct would charge me to file.

Then I tried the online version of TurboTax. The final results were precisely the same as with TaxAct, but there was a considerable difference in price. I saw that TurboTax’s charge for e-filing my federal and state income taxes would be $71.98. TaxAct, thanks to a temporary discount, would charge me only $14.98.

I went with TaxAct.
Last edited by John151 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gill

Re: How Did You File Your Income Taxes for 2015?

Post by Gill »

Done myself with Turbotax and filed electronically. Don't miss the days when I used to type out all the forms and Mail the return.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
mhc

Post by mhc »

Turbo Tax online

I had always done them by hand, but when I got married we rented out my DW condo. I didn't want to learn all the tax laws for rentals, so I started using TT. Even though we sold the condo about 5 years ago, I continue to use TT because it is so much faster than doing it by hand.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Turbotax. E-filed federal because it was free. Mailed hard copy state because e-file wasn't free.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
dpc

Post by dpc »

I had a complicated tax year - sold a business in one state, started a new one in another state and a few other one off things so my CPA did my taxes again, I hope for the final time. All filed electronically, including direct withdrawal (tomorrow) of a large federal tax owed from our checking account. Plus estimated 2016 taxes of course. When you're self-employed, April 15 is a brutal day.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

TaxAct online since 2010.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I have always completed my returns personally. In early years (before computers) it was by hand. 2015 was using a link from my state's free efile system where I could complete state and federal returns free. This year it was OLT (Online Taxes). The free software I used the previous 3 years was Tax Slayer, but they did not do it free this year for me, so I switched.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
ze233

Post by ze233 »

I've been using TaxAct since 2009. They have a deal every year where federal and state are 11 to 15 dollars. This year I also got in on the 14.98 deal.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I'm trying H&R Block desktop software this year. Last few years I have used Taxwise. Won't file until August or September but I am probably 98-99% done but not reviewed. So far, I'd say the software is pretty good. I don't use the interview mode so I can't comment on that.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

I purchased a PC download version of TurboTax Deluxe from Amazon for $39.85 that included e-filing federal. It did my state return, but I wasn't going to pay an extra $29.95 to e-file it, so I printed my return and mailed it via snail mail.

I used to fill everything out by hand but switched to Turbo-tax when VG was heavily discounting it.
rob

Post by rob »

H&R Block - A printer - A bit fat envelope - Certified postage. The queues at the post office are small now thanks to all those of you using eFile :D
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
pondering

Post by pondering »

I am using H&R Block 2015, downloaded from Amazon. The state module wouldn't load, so I did my state's taxes on their website. I filed my local income tax on another website.

I'm just about to review, print and get ready to certify mail my 1040 and check for tax due tomorrow. It is cheaper than efiling.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
scouter

Post by scouter »

Prepared with H&R Block software, mailed paper returns for both Fed and State.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Sheepdog wrote:I have always completed my returns personally. In early years (before computers) it was by hand. 2015 was using a link from my state's free efile system where I could complete state and federal returns free. This year it was OLT (Online Taxes). The free software I used the previous 3 years was Tax Slayer, but they did not do it free this year for me, so I switched.
How did you like TaxSlayer. Taxaide is switching from Taxwise to Taxslayer. I have a demo copy but I haven't done much with it and I'm not sure how the online version compares with the desktop software. We do all our returns directly in the forms (no interview mode). Does Taxslayer support that easily?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
epoxyresin

Post by epoxyresin »

I did mine by hand this year. Extra stamp on the envelope because of the weight. Overpaid my state taxes a little bit because I couldn't be bothered to figure out the cost basis on my capital gains (poor enough that the feds don't tax it). Need to steal a license plate off a cop car or something to get my money back.
texaspapas

Post by texaspapas »

I used FreeTax USA. Can't say enough good about them. I tried switching to TaxAct prior season, but I got a little outraged when I realized they were actually going to charge to me see my old return that was in their system. FreeTax you just log in, I can see every tax return I've ever done with them, for free. And the price to do my taxes this year: A big $0. They will charge for a state return, but it's very reasonable.

Caveat is that my taxes are pretty simple, w2 and independent contractor income, no real estate, taxable investments, etc.... though to be honest I believe FreeTax might be capable of handling those things as well. Good luck if you give it a shot, certainly can't beat the price.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

CPA only because of an S-corp and a lot of things that I thought I don't understand and would likely miss. However, after pouring over the end result, I realized that I probably could have done them myself.
Toons

Post by Toons »

TaxAct for 6 years
TurboTax before that.
efile. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

TurboTax for Federal and one state. Had to do another state and local tax by hand, because we moved and also because I didn't want to pay for the extra state. Everything was printed and mailed because I'm old school. :D
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
LK2012

Post by LK2012 »

Done by myself. Filed on Paper. Old school.
Raploch

Post by Raploch »

I normally do it myself with H&R Block tax software. Filed Fed & State electronically for the first time.
engineerartist

Post by engineerartist »

TurboTax software starting in 1988 - efiled since it became available.
Small refund checks from both federal and state already deposited electronically.

Biggest challenge is waiting for the final K-1 information to become available.
Retired - dividend growth investor
felizcortez

Post by felizcortez »

I did my taxes in both TurboTax and TaxAct. I ended up owing $1500 less when I went through the same questions in TaxAct. The discrepancy was how the software handled my backdoor roth IRA contributions and I couldn't figure out what was going on behind the scenes. I went with TaxAct and it cost me 10 bucks for the software to efile state and federal. If I would have just went with TurboTax like I was planning on doing, it would have been a much more expensive year.
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

CPA. She emailed them in. Finito!
Illegitimi non carborundum.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

John151 wrote:Most of us have filed our 2015 income taxes by now, and it would be interesting to see how we filed them. Did you do your taxes by hand? Did you have a paid preparer do them for you? Or did you use computer software, and, if so, which software package did you use?

I’d been filing with TurboTax for over fifteen years, and thanks to Vanguard’s discounts, I was usually able to file them for free. When Vanguard dropped its discounts, I decided to try the online version of TaxAct. It wasn’t able to import my investment information from Vanguard, but I had only four Vanguard funds with taxable income in 2015, and it took me only ten minutes or so to enter the information manually. I made a note of the final results and also noted what TaxAct would charge me to file.

Then I tried the online version of TurboTax. The final results were precisely the same as with TaxAct, but there was a considerable difference in price. I saw that TurboTax’s charge for e-filing my federal and state income taxes would be $71.98. TaxAct, thanks to a temporary discount, would charge me only $14.98.

I went with TaxAct.
Pretty much exactly what I did except for the discount. My Federal was $14.98 for computing and filing and my state (Oregon) was also $14.98 just to print it out which I then filed by snail mail. The state tax return had a major error however which was caught by the state and corrected.
ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 »

Gill wrote:Done myself with Turbotax and filed electronically. Don't miss the days when I used to type out all the forms and Mail the return.
Gill
+1. We owed money, so I opted to have the tax due debited from our checking account on Apr 1.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I did it by hand. I am retired and have standard incomes, no itemized deductions, nothing difficult. I did it the same way as last year, used US and NY 2014 returns as templates. It is good mental activity. In case I make a calculation mistake, they will correct it. Doing it via Turbotax would be more tiring due to their many not applicable questions. For some reasons the on-line filing was not applicable to us.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

OLT efile. Free last year and this. Can't believe all the years I spent researching, switching among, and paying TT, TC, and TA.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I filed our taxes with TaxAct. I had used TurboTaxcaster to figure them out for estimated taxes, and the actual was right on the money. I did have to send in $3.00 additional taxes, as I forgot to include the W-2 for my life insurance over $50,000.

I will probably stick with TaxAct as it is so much cheaper than TurboTax, now that TurboTax isn't free through Vanguard.

Though, our 2016 taxes might be simple enough to do manually, as we no longer have any stock in our taxable account. So, no capital gains will be realized.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

TurboTax.

I buy the H&B version for $70 or $80, then share it with 4 other family members. So we're each only paying about $15 for it.
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

TaxAct online. I prepared and fled the federal in mid-February after the brokerage tax forms came out. My wife was unemployed for the second half of the year, so we had a significant federal refund. I held off on the state until last week because we owed $53. It will be debited tomorrow.

I prepared our $0 city return last week by hand. We worked in another city (Cincinnati) with a 2.1% earnings tax, which we can credit fully against our home city's 2.0% earnings tax, so we don't owe anything. But we have to file.
gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 »

Old Skool pen and paper. I do use a spreadsheet that is updated every year to help.

hard copy scan + print = no DRM.
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

Did it myself, old-timer style on paper with pen. I only needed to redo the 1040 twice due to mistakes! :D

Just the 1040, Schedule D, and qualified dividend worksheet, with CA paper return. In the mail tomorrow! Looks like a $5 refund.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I paid a preparer to figure and efile. No excuse why,,,,I always do this. The forms make no sense to me and my attempt to give it a try 2 years ago with a 1040 EZ was total disaster. The IRS mailed us back a corrected form and money.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Ged

Post by Ged »

TurboTax. Been using them for years and years. Efiled both state and federal.

The only issue I ran into was that I had to manually mark a couple of the 1099's as belonging to my spouse after they were downloaded from Fidelity. Deposited the refunds via ACI.

Already have my refunds.
zeppy

Post by zeppy »

Same way I've done it all my life - pen and paper by hand & mail in via postal service
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

Paid an accountant. A little under $400.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Freefilefillableforms. Efile. Although I didn't fill the forms out with a pen I consider this doing it by hand.

And I did make an error. So I'll be filing an amended return in a few days sent through the mail.
Dantes

Post by Dantes »

TaxAct online for our federal taxes. My Massachusetts state tax using the state website which is excellent; DW's Maine state return by hand since our filing our state taxes since our living in two different states and filing state taxes separately appears too complicated for TaxAct. MIL's Federal and two state tax returns with TaxAct online.
bzcat

Post by bzcat »

We had a tax event this year, so we paid a preparer. I still purchased TurboTax and processed everything like normal, but TurboTax really doesn't do K1's well and it beachballed. :oops: That will be a problem when I go back to self preparing next year.

Using a preparer added ~5% more to my workload than normal (20-25 hours). Paid Friday with eftps.
OutInThirteen

Post by OutInThirteen »

By hand on paper with pen then mailed in with envelope and stamp - same way I've always done it since 1975. Use an Excel spreadsheet to compile information as it's available during the year.
Lynette

Post by Lynette »

Last edited by Lynette on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JohnF

Post by JohnF »

Filled in pdf forms downloaded from IRS site. Compared results to TaxCaster’s … very close. Dropped in the mail.
JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired »

As usual, I bought the downloaded Desktop HRBlock "Deluxe + State" software when it first came out in late November last year. We find spending $45 to get an early start is liberating. Again as usual, we delayed filing (mailing paper forms) until March 30.

Nobody out there gets our 1040 electronic information any longer. The small refunds owed us by both Feds and State will come by check.
JW
Retired at Last
daveatca

Same for 35 years

Post by daveatca »

I have people.
Same family-owned firm since 1980. Started with father and now onto son.
I do whatever they tell me to do.
$290 this year.
Done in late February.
Painless.
Spend a grand total of 3 hours per year total on everything tax related and that includes the 1 hour of drive time.
QuickBooks for tiny business + 1 W2 + tiny pension. No mortgage.
KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 »

H&R Block Deluxe, was able to grab the desktop version for $20 (federal efile only, state is extra) with a coupon. Easy to use and haven't had any issues with it the past couple of years since making the switch from TurboTax.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.
amarone

Post by amarone »

Used downloaded version of Turbotax. e-filed Federal (IRS said my return was incorrect by $1.25 as Turbotax rounded my estimated tax payments - yes, I paid estimated taxes not in whole dollars; I will not do that again).

I would have mailed my state tax returns anyway rather than pay the extra fee to Turbotax, but I could not e-file as Georgia does not support e-file if you are filing with more than one state, and Alabama does not support e-filing for non-resident returns. I got my AL refund quickly. My GA return has been in status "error" for some time and I have heard nothing. It will be interesting to see if Turbotax rounding has hit me at the state level also, or whether I screwed something up when printing and mailing my return.
basspond

Post by basspond »

I use an Excel spreadsheet that I build on every year, then I file using the online PDF files.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

We've been using TurboTax for the last 3 years.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

By hand, but filed it electronically for free via https://www.freefilefillableforms.com/ (link from IRS site).

Doing everything by hand forces me to read instruction, which in turn give me some understanding of how the what is in the tax code, which in turn let me know what to watch out for, what to plan for, etc. Not that I have any complicated tax situation.