Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
atdharris

Re: Bank of America/Merrill Edge - Preferred Rewards

Post by atdharris »

percolate wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:26 pm
atdharris wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:00 am Odd, I also received the new card and it's thin plastic as usual. I am also platinum honors.
Very weird. It's definitely the least metal I've ever seen in a metal card: It's barely heavier than the old one, but it does stick to a magnet.
Perhaps they added it later? I will test mine with a magnet when I am able and see if it sticks. If there is metal in my card, I can't notice it at all.
atdharris

Post by atdharris »

percolate wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:26 pm
atdharris wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:00 am Odd, I also received the new card and it's thin plastic as usual. I am also platinum honors.
Very weird. It's definitely the least metal I've ever seen in a metal card: It's barely heavier than the old one, but it does stick to a magnet.
No magnet adherence on my new card. Perhaps they added metal recently and were using the old plastic cards initially.
dasarp

Post by dasarp »

I just received my new Bank of America Premium Rewards card. It’s the new design (this one https://cdn.wallethub.com/common/produ ... 53065c.jpg) and it came in metal!

I’m a Platinum Honors client for what it’s worth, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I am *not* a wealth management customer (Merrill Edge only since I prefer to self manage) but have quite a bit of money parked with Merrill Edge.
Same weight and hardness as my Chase Sapphire Reserve.
Last edited by dasarp on Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
avidracer

Post by avidracer »

Interesting, we received ours a month ago and it was all plastic (that I am happy for in terms of just the handling convenience :D ). I had one amex metal card and hated it for that reason - the bulk it adds made me feel I now needed to eat not just three, but four meals a day :P
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

dasarp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:28 pm I just received my new Bank of America Premium Rewards card. It’s the new design (this one https://cdn.wallethub.com/common/produ ... 53065c.jpg) and it came in metal! I’m a Platinum Honors client for what it’s worth, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
Nice. I remember reading a post from someone when the card first came out saying that his wife would not use the card because she thought it looked cheap. I'm guessing she will be happier with the metal card. I was shocked that anyone actually cared.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Speaking of which, how are we supposed to dispose of metal cards? We have a handful of expired and cancelled ones that we don't know what to do with.
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

sailaway wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 am Speaking of which, how are we supposed to dispose of metal cards? We have a handful of expired and cancelled ones that we don't know what to do with.
This is why I'm not a fan of metal cards. I prefer to be able to shred then trash old cards.

Upon receiving replacement cards for Chase Sapphire Preferred, I've received an envelope to return the expiring cards.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

fujiters wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:48 am
sailaway wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:08 am Speaking of which, how are we supposed to dispose of metal cards? We have a handful of expired and cancelled ones that we don't know what to do with.
This is why I'm not a fan of metal cards. I prefer to be able to shred then trash old cards.

Upon receiving replacement cards for Chase Sapphire Preferred, I've received an envelope to return the expiring cards.
Unfortunately, Chase doesn't send the return envelope when you cancel or downgrade your metal card. I downgraded my Sapphire Reserve to a Freedom Unlimited, and I'm stuck storing the old metal card indefinitely.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:29 am Unfortunately, Chase doesn't send the return envelope when you cancel or downgrade your metal card. I downgraded my Sapphire Reserve to a Freedom Unlimited, and I'm stuck storing the old metal card indefinitely.
Did your card number not change when you downgraded? If not, just scratch the mag stripe a bit and the numbers that are printed on the back and throw it out. It's not a nuclear launch code :D
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

fujiters wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:48 am

+1. I have no desire to impress anyone with the strength of my card! Metal cards are a hassle to get rid of. Gimme a cheap plastic card anytime.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:22 am
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:29 am Unfortunately, Chase doesn't send the return envelope when you cancel or downgrade your metal card. I downgraded my Sapphire Reserve to a Freedom Unlimited, and I'm stuck storing the old metal card indefinitely.
Did your card number not change when you downgraded? If not, just scratch the mag stripe a bit and the numbers that are printed on the back and throw it out. It's not a nuclear launch code :D
I bought a set of metal "snips" at Lowes for just this purpose. Interesting that the largest pair looked impressive but did a poor job, ended up with a smaller Craftsman tool that was able to slice a card from a closed Amex account. For what it's worth I'm over the metal cards as well.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

jrbdmb wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:50 amFor what it's worth I'm over the metal cards as well.
Me too. It's not like I ever take the card out of the wallet anyway. The digits are memorized for online shopping and in store I use Google Pay 99% of the time. Maybe in a restaurant I'd hand it to a waiter but I haven't done much dining out during the pandemic.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:15 am
jrbdmb wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:50 amFor what it's worth I'm over the metal cards as well.
Me too. It's not like I ever take the card out of the wallet anyway. The digits are memorized for online shopping and in store I use Google Pay 99% of the time. Maybe in a restaurant I'd hand it to a waiter but I haven't done much dining out during the pandemic.
The only noticeable wear on any of my cards is the signature strip and that seems to be exactly the same on the metal cards :confused
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dukeblue219 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:22 am
My card number did not change. I never used the magnetic strip because this card had a chip.
sassy_penguin

Post by sassy_penguin »

I have always found that contacting customer service gets either a postage paid return envelope sent, or a credit of whatever the cost of a first class stamp is put into my account.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

FYI I found today that the Preferred Rewards benefit of a free safe deposit box (SDB) rental does not apply to trust accounts. I spoke with three BofA people and no one could explain why. All of the other benefits still apply. You can still get a small discount on the SDB for things like having direct deposit into a checking account.
drizzleray

Post by drizzleray »

sassy_penguin wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:09 pm
I have always found that contacting customer service gets either a postage paid return envelope sent, or a credit of whatever the cost of a first class stamp is put into my account.
Yes, I recently contacted Chase through their Twitter Support & they mailed me a prepaid envelope. They also said you can bring it to a branch for disposal.
dcdcdc724

Post by dcdcdc724 »

dasarp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:28 pm I just received my new Bank of America Premium Rewards card. It’s the new design (this one https://cdn.wallethub.com/common/produ ... 53065c.jpg) and it came in metal!

I’m a Platinum Honors client for what it’s worth, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I am *not* a wealth management customer (Merrill Edge only since I prefer to self manage) but have quite a bit of money parked with Merrill Edge.
I am close to reaching platinum honors, hopefully I receive a beefed up card as well :p
Hannibal Barca

Post by Hannibal Barca »

I don't think I read this in the last 17 pages, so just wanted to flag that at some point BoA lowered their "all other purchases" rewards rate to 1% (so 1.75% if you're at the Premier Honors Preferred Rewards tier). Sounds like previously it was 1.5% base rate which turned into 2.625% at that highest Preferred Rewards tier.

Category of your choice and Grocery Store / Wholesale Club rewards rates remain unchanged.

TLDR, Still a good play for category of your choice and Grocery / Wholesale, but I'll be sticking with my 2% cash back Fidelity Investment Rewards card for the rest.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

"All other purchases" has always been 1% on a cash rewards card (and groceries 2%, selected category 3%). 1.5% is everything on travel rewards card. Those are two different credit cards. Preferred rewards multiplier applies on top of these.
techiegirl

Post by techiegirl »

The premium rewards card is still 1.5%, which is 2.625% with the preferred rewards bonus.
GoPackGo

Post by GoPackGo »

Hannibal Barca wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 am I don't think I read this in the last 17 pages, so just wanted to flag that at some point BoA lowered their "all other purchases" rewards rate to 1% (so 1.75% if you're at the Premier Honors Preferred Rewards tier). Sounds like previously it was 1.5% base rate which turned into 2.625% at that highest Preferred Rewards tier.
The 2.625% you're seeing is probably referring to the Premium Rewards card, which has a 1.5% base with 1.75% Platinum Honors Preferred Rewards is 2.625%.

See https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... edit-card/ which says in part:
Preferred Rewards members earn 25%-75% more points on every purchase.

That means you could earn up to 3.5 points for every $1 you spend on travel and dining purchases and up to 2.62 points for every $1 you spend on all other purchases.
dcdcdc724

Post by dcdcdc724 »

dasarp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:28 pm I just received my new Bank of America Premium Rewards card. It’s the new design (this one https://cdn.wallethub.com/common/produ ... 53065c.jpg) and it came in metal!

Is the BofA symbol just metal or the entire card?
Scotttheking

Post by Scotttheking »

Hannibal Barca wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:35 am I don't think I read this in the last 17 pages, so just wanted to flag that at some point BoA lowered their "all other purchases" rewards rate to 1% (so 1.75% if you're at the Premier Honors Preferred Rewards tier). Sounds like previously it was 1.5% base rate which turned into 2.625% at that highest Preferred Rewards tier.

Category of your choice and Grocery Store / Wholesale Club rewards rates remain unchanged.

TLDR, Still a good play for category of your choice and Grocery / Wholesale, but I'll be sticking with my 2% cash back Fidelity Investment Rewards card for the rest.
It is confusing to those not familiar because people use shorthand to talk about the cards, but fyi this isn't accurate. Travel & Premium rewards cards are 1.5% base. Cash rewards is 1% base.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Scotttheking wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:13 pm

It is confusing to those not familiar because people use shorthand to talk about the cards, but fyi this isn't accurate. Travel & Premium rewards cards are 1.5% base. Cash rewards is 1% base.
It doesn’t help that occasionally folks sometimes interchange Premium and Preferred in their discussions, talking about the Preferred Credit Card or the Premium Rewards.
Hyperchicken

Post by Hyperchicken »

And now cash rewards is being renamed to customized cash rewards.
tj

Post by tj »

BrandonBogle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm
Scotttheking wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:13 pm

It doesn’t help that occasionally folks sometimes interchange Premium and Preferred in their discussions, talking about the Preferred Credit Card or the Premium Rewards.
There is no Preferred Card, not for BofA anyway.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

tj wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:21 pm
BrandonBogle wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:26 pm It doesn’t help that occasionally folks sometimes interchange Premium and Preferred in their discussions, talking about the Preferred Credit Card or the Premium Rewards.
There is no Preferred Card, not for BofA anyway.
dasarp

Post by dasarp »

dcdcdc724 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:10 pm

Entire card
dcdcdc724

Post by dcdcdc724 »

dasarp wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:11 pm
dcdcdc724 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:10 pm

Entire card
Niiiice, eventually I will reach the rewards level to get the "heavyweight" :wink:
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Per email today:

"We want to make you aware of an enhancement to your Premium Rewards® card. Now through December 31, 2021, as a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors member, you will earn unlimited 3.5 points for every $1 spent on grocery store purchases, including many grocery store delivery and meal kit services. This is an enhancement to the 2.62 points per $1 you normally earn on those purchases."
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

dukeblue219 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:48 am Per email today:

"We want to make you aware of an enhancement to your Premium Rewards® card. Now through December 31, 2021, as a Preferred Rewards Platinum Honors member, you will earn unlimited 3.5 points for every $1 spent on grocery store purchases, including many grocery store delivery and meal kit services. This is an enhancement to the 2.62 points per $1 you normally earn on those purchases."
Thanks for posting. I just got that too.

Here's the fine print:
Bank of America® Premium Rewards® Grocery Store Enhancement Offer.

From 5/3/2021 through 12/31/2021, you will earn 2 base points for every $1 of Grocery Store Net Purchases you make with your Premium Rewards card. Eligible merchant categories and the associated merchant category codes (MCC) for Grocery Store Purchases are the following: grocery store and supermarkets (5411), freezer/meat lockers (5422), candy, nut or confection stores (5441), dairy product stores (5451), bakeries (5462) and Miscellaneous Food Stores (5499). Grocery delivery and meal prep delivery services will be included if the merchant is assigned to one of the eligible MCCs.

Excluded from this Grocery Store Category are superstores and smaller stores (like drug stores and convenience stores) that sell groceries and other products. Merchants are assigned an MCC. We do not determine which MCC a merchant chooses to classify itself.
Your purchase may not qualify to receive the Grocery Store enhancement earn rate if the merchant does not process transactions under the MCC that corresponds with the Grocery Store Category. This offer will not affect the points you earn on other types of purchases. There is no limit on the number of points you can earn.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Thanks for posting this. I did not get an "e-mail" but saw this note when I logged into my BofA moments ago. It's a nice upside and adds another wrinkle to the decision as to whether to close our AMEX Blue Cash preferred card (as the $95 annual fee just posted).
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
rascott

Post by rascott »

Yep also just recieved this. We get groceries via Walmart pickup, and do not believe Walmart gets classified as grocery store.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

I just saw the above and wondered why I had not received a similar email, wondering if this was a targeted offer. Then I checked my inbox and it was right there (arrived 10 minutes ago). So if it indeed is targeted, I am part of the target. Nice!

I already get 3.5% on groceries via my two BoA cash rewards cards but those sometimes cut into my $2,500 per quarter limits on bonus premiums, so I will switch my grocery spending to Premium Rewards for the remainder of 2021.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

rascott wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:59 am

Yep also just recieved this. We get groceries via Walmart pickup, and do not believe Walmart gets classified as grocery store.
Check to see how your Walmart purchases get coded. If we buy in-store with the Customized Cash Rewards (CCR) card, it gets coded as grocery. However, if you're ordering online or via the app it gets coded as online shopping. So if you have the CCR card, you would earn 5.25%. Even Walmart Pay in store will earn you 5.25% as it is coded as online shopping.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

stilllurking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am Check to see how your Walmart purchases get coded. If we buy in-store with the Customized Cash Rewards (CCR) card, it gets coded as grocery. However, if you're ordering online or via the app it gets coded as online shopping. So if you have the CCR card, you would earn 5.25%. Even Walmart Pay in store will earn you 5.25% as it is coded as online shopping.
What kind of WM do you have? I've read in the past that only Walmart Neighborhood Market stores code as supermarkets.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

dodecahedron wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:00 am I just saw the above and wondered why I had not received a similar email, wondering if this was a targeted offer. Then I checked my inbox and it was right there (arrived 10 minutes ago). So if it indeed is targeted, I am part of the target. Nice!

I already get 3.5% on groceries via my two BoA cash rewards cards but those sometimes cut into my $2,500 per quarter limits on bonus premiums, so I will switch my grocery spending to Premium Rewards for the remainder of 2021.
Unfortunately, it does not seem to include wholesale club purchases, which the CCR card does include. Fortunately, I have three of those cards and do not max them all out.

I use my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for groceries, 6% back. It has a $95 annual fee, but I got them to give me a $75 offer when I spend $1500, which I proceeded to complete in two days last month buying MC gift cards at Stop & Shop to pay my estimated taxes.
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

MisterBill wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:16 am
stilllurking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am Check to see how your Walmart purchases get coded. If we buy in-store with the Customized Cash Rewards (CCR) card, it gets coded as grocery. However, if you're ordering online or via the app it gets coded as online shopping. So if you have the CCR card, you would earn 5.25%. Even Walmart Pay in store will earn you 5.25% as it is coded as online shopping.
What kind of WM do you have? I've read in the past that only Walmart Neighborhood Market stores code as supermarkets.
Most of the Walmarts that I frequent are called Walmart Supercenters that have their typical hard/softlines as well as groceries. Maybe that's the reason why?
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

stilllurking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 am Most of the Walmarts that I frequent are called Walmart Supercenters that have their typical hard/softlines as well as groceries. Maybe that's the reason why?
Yes, that''s it! I just my old transactions in Quicken and found that I made purchases last October at both my local WM (which is not Super) and one that is. The non-Super coded as Merchandise - Discount Store, but the Super was Merchandise - Grocery Store, Supermarket.

I have to remember that next time I shop at that store!
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

MisterBill wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:30 am
stilllurking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:21 am Most of the Walmarts that I frequent are called Walmart Supercenters that have their typical hard/softlines as well as groceries. Maybe that's the reason why?
Yes, that''s it! I just my old transactions in Quicken and found that I made purchases last October at both my local WM (which is not Super) and one that is. The non-Super coded as Merchandise - Discount Store, but the Super was Merchandise - Grocery Store, Supermarket.

I have to remember that next time I shop at that store!
If you're so inclined to download the Walmart app and pay with Walmart Pay, I would wager that regardless of the store, you would earn 5.25% with your CCR card (if you have that one set to online shopping).
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

stilllurking wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:48 am If you're so inclined to download the Walmart app and pay with Walmart Pay, I would wager that regardless of the store, you would earn 5.25% with your CCR card (if you have that one set to online shopping).
Yes, I was going to mention that. My problem with WM Pay is that you do not get a printed receipt (not even an option it seems), and when I shop at Walmart, it is almost exclusively for rebate items on apps like Ibotta. In theory, you can link your WM account to Ibotta but I have not had good experience with that. Supposedly you can get the code required to manually enter the receipt into Ibotta, but that's more difficult than just scanning a paper receipt.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

MisterBill wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:18 am
I use my AMEX Blue Cash Preferred for groceries, 6% back. It has a $95 annual fee, but I got them to give me a $75 offer when I spend $1500, which I proceeded to complete in two days last month buying MC gift cards at Stop & Shop to pay my estimated taxes.
Can you color that offer a bit more. Also, what did you do to get them to offer this to you?
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Can you color that offer a bit more. Also, what did you do to get them to offer this to you?
Called AMEX and told them I wanted to cancel the card after getting billed a new annual fee. I had read on DoC that they had retention offers. They offered me $75 back if I spent $1500 in the next 90 days. Got it credited to my account a few days after the charges hit. I think some people have done it via chat but I was sitting in the supermarket parking lot about to buy $1k of gift cards.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

MisterBill wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:47 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Called AMEX and told them I wanted to cancel the card after getting billed a new annual fee. I had read on DoC that they had retention offers. They offered me $75 back if I spent $1500 in the next 90 days. Got it credited to my account a few days after the charges hit. I think some people have done it via chat but I was sitting in the supermarket parking lot about to buy $1k of gift cards.
Thanks that is helpful as my AF just posted yesterday.

Did the charges have to be in the grocery category or was it for any spend? If the former, that essentially pushed the cash back rate on that spend to 11% if I have my math right.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

MikeG62 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm Thanks that is helpful as my AF just posted yesterday.

Did the charges have to be in the grocery category or was it for any spend? If the former, that essentially pushed the cash back rate on that spend to 11% if I have my math right.
Any charges.

Someone on DoC said that their GF got a $100 offer. In theory, they claim that manufactured spending doesn't count, but in my case buying three $500 gift cards worked fine, with the total being the same each time.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

MisterBill wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:39 pm
MikeG62 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm Thanks that is helpful as my AF just posted yesterday.

Any charges.

Someone on DoC said that their GF got a $100 offer. In theory, they claim that manufactured spending doesn't count, but in my case buying three $500 gift cards worked fine, with the total being the same each time.
Ok, so by charging $1,500 in grocery spend you were able to effectively get 11% (6% from the normal cash back plus another 5% from the deal offered)?

Want to make sure the special offer does not in any way impact the 6%, as I don't to waste $1,500 in 1% spend where I could otherwise get at least 2.625% or 3.5% on that spend (depending on the nature of that spend and the card used).
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

MikeG62 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:27 am Ok, so by charging $1,500 in grocery spend you were able to effectively get 11% (6% from the normal cash back plus another 5% from the deal offered)?

Want to make sure the special offer does not in any way impact the 6%, as I don't to waste $1,500 in 1% spend where I could otherwise get at least 2.625% or 3.5% on that spend (depending on the nature of that spend and the card used).
I didn't really think of it like that, I thought of it as reducing the annual fee from $95 to $20.

But yes, I checked my account and for each $505.95 purchase, I received $30.36 in rewards.

Also, this is off-topic for this thread.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

I often try to time my new cards with my summer insurance bill because I pay homeowner and umbrella then and usually covers the necessary spend.
sassy_penguin

Post by sassy_penguin »

I initially opened my BoA checking account on 18 March. I had transferred money to Merrill back in mid-February, but when opening the checking account and asking about Preferred Rewards, I was told it would still take a full 90 from the checking account opening. The was not the case!

May 6th, I checked in to see if I qualifed for Preferred Rewards. It said yes and put me immediately into Platinum. I initially transfered over more than 100k, but the math for my rolling average only had me in the upper 80s this month.

I then applied for both the Premium Rewards and Cash Rewards that same day. Approved for both at once, so just one credit ding. I asked for them to be rushed, and the guy on the phone confirmed it would be done so at no extra cost.

I hope this helps someone!

I debated for a minute on the regular Travel Rewards card, but with groceries counting extra for the rest of the year and me being in line to get Global Entry a bit later this year, the $95 seemed worth it for certain this year.

Also, is it true that the Preferred rewards bonus percentages do not begin accruing immediately on credit cards? I felt like the guy was saying something like it would take a month or 30 days or the first statement to close before the bonuses began to accrue. Does that sound right to those who did this in the past?