IRS Refund Status Changed from "Received" to "You may have entered your information incorrectly.."

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

IRS Refund Status Changed from "Received" to "You may have entered your information incorrectly.."

Post by nyinvestor718 »

I attempted to search the forum, and did see some getting a refund within 3-4 months with the same status change, however, I completed an electronic return back in July of 2021. Checking the refund status occasionally yielded a ""Return received (paraphrasing)" status up until mid-December, then the message changed to ,
"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." Asking for additional confirmation details, which when inputted provides, "We cannot provide any information about your refund".

Has anyone else experienced this with an electronic return and if so, what was the outcome?
I have attempted to call the IRS but was unable to touch base with a human.

Thanks.
Judge Learned Hand: "Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury".
inverter

Re: IRS Refund Status Changed from "Received" to "You may have entered your information incorrectly.."

Post by inverter »

Can you look at your transcript using IRS.gov to login?
an_asker

Re: IRS Refund Status Changed from "Received" to "You may have entered your information incorrectly.."

Post by an_asker »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:31 pm I attempted to search the forum, and did see some getting a refund within 3-4 months with the same status change, however, I completed an electronic return back in July of 2021. Checking the refund status occasionally yielded a ""Return received (paraphrasing)" status up until mid-December, then the message changed to ,
"You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." Asking for additional confirmation details, which when inputted provides, "We cannot provide any information about your refund".

Has anyone else experienced this with an electronic return and if so, what was the outcome?

Thanks.
I have experienced literally the same transitions :oops:

And I filed in April 2021 ... a few days before the deadline too!!

PS: The outcome is to just wait it out (per Boglehead advice). I did call the number but it just parroted back the same information that the web site spits out, i.e., my return hasn't been received per information entered (SSN, date of return and refund amount)
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

The WMR tool has been updated for the new tax year 2021.

It will not work for 2020 anymore since 2020 is now considered a prior year.

You need to view your transcript for the prior year returns. Create an account on the IRS website.
heikejohn1

Post by heikejohn1 »

Several years back , somebody gave me info on how to talk to a human when calling the IRS.

No matter what choice of number is given, ALWAYS punch 0.

After a while you should get a real person.

Don't know if this still works or not, but worth a try.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Did your return include a recovery rebate (additional amount) credit?
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:31 pm I attempted to search the forum, and did see some getting a refund within 3-4 months with the same status change, however, I completed an electronic return back in July of 2021. Checking the refund status occasionally yielded a ""Return received (paraphrasing)" status up until mid-December, then the message changed to ,

Thanks.
Check your transcript to see if your refund amount changed.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Asyouwish wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:56 pm The WMR tool has been updated for the new tax year 2021.

You need to view your transcript for the prior year returns. Create an account on the IRS website.
It worked for me. Just checked (mailed on April 16-21 for tax year 2020), and the site shows status of "Still being processed...a refund date will be provided....
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Big Dog wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:31 pm
Asyouwish wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:56 pm The WMR tool has been updated for the new tax year 2021.

It worked for me. Just checked (mailed on April 16-21 for tax year 2020), and the site shows status of "Still being processed...a refund date will be provided....
Agreed. Same here for my mother’s return. I’m not certain what the processing logic of that tool is, but the advise that the tool has been reset for 2021 returns does not seem to apply to everyone. Our 2020 return is “received and still in process”, just like it has been for months. I checked this morning. We have not yet filed 2021.
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Just checked my transcript, shows the same refund amount I've been entering the entire time. Strange. No indication of the refund being credited, just a negative amount.
Judge Learned Hand: "Any one may so arrange his affairs that his taxes shall be as low as possible; he is not bound to choose that pattern which will best pay the Treasury".
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:10 pm
Big Dog wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:31 pm

Agreed. Same here for my mother’s return. I’m not certain what the processing logic of that tool is, but the advise that the tool has been reset for 2021 returns does not seem to apply to everyone. Our 2020 return is “received and still in process”, just like it has been for months. I checked this morning. We have not yet filed 2021.
Same with my 2020 return - efiled and accepted on 4/15/21. Checked today and WMR says "received and still in process".
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm Just checked my transcript, shows the same refund amount I've been entering the entire time. Strange. No indication of the refund being credited, just a negative amount.
That is what we see on my mother’s transcript as well. We see the negative amount, which indicates a refund. In our case, the IRS increased the refund amount during their processing. They even sent us a letter telling us they had increased it. But instead of sending the refund in 4-6 weeks as the letter indicated, they continue to hold it. We called and actually spoke to an agent about it. We were told it was on hold for some reason. The agent supposedly took an action to prod the holding group, but so far, the prod has done nothing after 45 days or so. It was in August that we were told 4-6 weeks.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

I e-filed in July 2021. It states "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again."We cannot provide any information about your refund".
I'm just going to wait it out, I'm not calling. It's not that much $ it will show up at some point.HAHA
Can you imagine what it's going to be like in the IRS in next couple when they're carpet bombed 21 returns. :shock:
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:28 pm Just checked my transcript, shows the same refund amount I've been entering the entire time. Strange. No indication of the refund being credited, just a negative amount.
What’s the date listed on the refund line on your transcript?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Displayed next to "ACCRUED INTEREST"" and "ACCRUED PENALTY:", "AS OF: Oct. 04, 2021", then ACCOUNT BALANCE PLUS ACCRUALS: -{number}, for the header.

For the list of transactions, the most recent is code 150, Tax Return Filed {number}, DATE: 10-04-2021. The remaining transactions are taxes paid va w2 or 1099, payments (I files an extension), etc.
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:37 pm
That is what we see on my mother’s transcript as well. We see the negative amount, which indicates a refund. In our case, the IRS increased the refund amount during their processing. They even sent us a letter telling us they had increased it. But instead of sending the refund in 4-6 weeks as the letter indicated, they continue to hold it. We called and actually spoke to an agent about it. We were told it was on hold for some reason. The agent supposedly took an action to prod the holding group, but so far, the prod has done nothing after 45 days or so. It was in August that we were told 4-6 weeks.
Were you able to get in touch with someone by calling the number, and selecting the menu options for refund status? Today, it seems to just parrot what is displayed via the refund status tool. Perhaps due to call volume.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:21 pm
PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:37 pm
Were you able to get in touch with someone by calling the number, and selecting the menu options for refund status? Today, it seems to just parrot what is displayed via the refund status tool. Perhaps due to call volume.
I don't recall the specific options I chose. But I did not make my selections based on wanting my refund status. Answer the questions as if you have an issue with your account or something broader. Also, I don't always get through to an agent. Over the last 2 years, I have spoken with an agent about 4 times. My advice is to call early in the morning, Eastern Time. I usually call right at 9:00am Eastern Time. Don't call on a Monday. I usually call on Wednesday or Thursday. Most times I call at other times, I either get told "we're too busy, call back at another time" or it eventually disconnects me somewhere along the way while on hold.
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Was able to get in touch with someone by calling early in the morning. Turns out, since I filed an extension and made an estimated payment, the balance owed was frozen until it the purpose of the negative balance was confirmed. After requesting a refund, the payment was 'unfrozen' and will take 6 weeks to process. Other options were to use the negative balance against future balances owed. Did not receive interest as a result. This sounds pretty superfluous but, at least, I was able to (hopefully) get my refund. Had I waited, It may have sat in limbo. Never received a notice in the mail.

A word of caution to anyone waiting for a refund and unable to check the status, and who also filed an extension, call in the early AM, mid-week, preferably.

Lastly, the person did mention, since we are in 2021, the Refund Status tool will not report data for the prior year since it was closed.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am Was able to get in touch with someone by calling early in the morning. Turns out, since I filed an extension and made an estimated payment, the balance owed was frozen until it the purpose of the negative balance was confirmed. After requesting a refund, the payment was 'unfrozen' and will take 6 weeks to process. Other options were to use the negative balance against future balances owed. Did not receive interest as a result. This sounds pretty superfluous but, at least, I was able to (hopefully) get my refund. Had I waited, It may have sat in limbo. Never received a notice in the mail.

A word of caution to anyone waiting for a refund and unable to check the status, and who also filed an extension, call in the early AM, mid-week, preferably.
Thanks for the tip. What number did you call, and then what did you do? Did you enter more information or did you hit 0s multiple times or...?

I did do the transcript thing so it does appear that our return has ben received because I see a number that matches the requested refund. But I am unable to understand whether they are saying they are still processing or waiting on something else. So, I guess I need to call and talk with them.
Lastly, the person did mention, since we are in 2021, the Refund Status tool will not report data for the prior year since it was closed.
This is what someone else said upthread. And that makes sense!
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

an_asker wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:15 am
nyinvestor718 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am Was able to get in touch with someone by calling early in the morning. Turns out, since I filed an extension and made an estimated payment, the balance owed was frozen until it the purpose of the negative balance was confirmed. After requesting a refund, the payment was 'unfrozen' and will take 6 weeks to process. Other options were to use the negative balance against future balances owed. Did not receive interest as a result. This sounds pretty superfluous but, at least, I was able to (hopefully) get my refund. Had I waited, It may have sat in limbo. Never received a notice in the mail.

Thanks for the tip. What number did you call, and then what did you do? Did you enter more information or did you hit 0s multiple times or...?

I did do the transcript thing so it does appear that our return has ben received because I see a number that matches the requested refund. But I am unable to understand whether they are saying they are still processing or waiting on something else. So, I guess I need to call and talk with them.
This is what someone else said upthread. And that makes sense!
Call for Individuals: 800-829-1040.
When going through the menu options, choose the language (1 for English), then 2, then the correct menu item from there. There should be an option at some point to just hold and not make a selection. When you get to where there is a long message about having to wait at least 21 days for a refund, etc. etc., you have made it to the final hoop to jump before getting through to a human.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 am [...]
When going through the menu options, choose the language (1 for English), then 2, then the correct menu item from there. There should be an option at some point to just hold and not make a selection. When you get to where there is a long message about having to wait at least 21 days for a refund, etc. etc., you have made it to the final hoop to jump before getting through to a human.
Got it. Thanks!

What time did you call in the morning? I meant to ask earlier but forgot.
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

9am, sharp.
AQ

Post by AQ »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:06 am Was able to get in touch with someone by calling early in the morning. Turns out, since I filed an extension and made an estimated payment, the balance owed was frozen until it the purpose of the negative balance was confirmed.
I'm in a very similar situation and still waiting for my refund. A question about OP's comment here: 'the purpose of the negative balance was confirmed' What does it mean by 'purpose...'?
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

Either for refund, credit applied towards future amount owed, or mistake (there was an extension filed with payment, and maybe that payment was a mistake)
Warren

Post by Warren »

I electronically filed our joint return last February, once IRS announced it would accept returns, hoping, apparently naively, that our large refund would arrive early. It did not and until Christmas, checking our refund status, every time I saw the same statement that it had been received and was being processed. I just expected that eventually it would arrive in our bank account. Before Christmas, the IRS suspended access to refund status and once it was restored earlier this month -- our tax return has disappeared. The message has changed from "it is being processed" to "We cannot provide any information about your refund". In our IRS account there is no trace that 2020 return has been received; so, there is no transcript. Simply, it has disappeared. I do have a 20-digit IRS confirmation number along with a time stamp of submission, but it does not help with finding our return. We did claim stimulus credit on our return which, I heard, delayed some refunds, but other than that it was a simple return of two retired people, standard deduction and some capital gains and dividends. I am at loss trying to determine what to do next; calling IRS is hopeless.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Did you have to enter your ssn, filing status etc? Because I am getting there, it repeats the values I entered, the automated system says "we cannot provide any information about your refund..." then kicks me out. :oops:

I would really appreciate it if you could list out your selections up to the point where you need to wait for a human!! If you don't remember and don't mind, you can call and retrace your steps I hope!
Topic Author
nyinvestor718

Post by nyinvestor718 »

an_asker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 pm
Did you have to enter your ssn, filing status etc? Because I am getting there, it repeats the values I entered, the automated system says "we cannot provide any information about your refund..." then kicks me out. :oops:

I would really appreciate it if you could list out your selections up to the point where you need to wait for a human!! If you don't remember and don't mind, you can call and retrace your steps I hope!
Don't follow the menue prompts for refund status. Select the option for "1040x and payments", etc..
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

nyinvestor718 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:51 pm
an_asker wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:23 pm

Don't follow the menue prompts for refund status. Select the option for "1040x and payments", etc..
Yes, that is what I did the first time. But the next question asks for SSN, filing status and refund amount on the 1040. And once I enter those, I am kicked out :-(
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Here’s a phone tree sequence that should get you to a person.

800-829-1040

Select language, then 2 1 3 2 (do not enter ssn, asked twice) then 2 then 4

https://amynorthardcpa.com/how-do-i-rea ... t-the-irs/