CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by dbr »

DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Is there a trick to booking business on Iberia?
I checked the site and picked some off peak dates and all that shows up is Economy and Premium Economy.
No mater what dates I pick it show Business class tickets are not available.
In my experience the trick to finding miles redemptions in business on most airlines is searching around to find a date/season and schedule when something pops up. This usually means starting to look months up to the 330 days ahead or whatever it is that seats are loaded for that airline, though they can release inventory at any time. You also have to consider alternative destinations and routings. There are ways to search using tools like Expert Flyer, etc. There are tricks such as searching for one way segments to figure out where the block is to the availability. If the problem is something like getting from St. Louis to Chicago in first, but Chicago to Dublin is available then try some work arounds for that. Unlike on Bogleheads not all roads lead to Dublin, at least not in upper class.

If you really want to dig into it you need to start reading on Flyer Talk where the conversation is oriented to exactly these things.

We were able to travel US to Australia in business by connecting through Honolulu rather than trying to find non-stops. That was using AA miles on Hawaiian. It was actually a great itinerary because we were able to spend time in Hawaii and it also breaks up the length of the trip.
theplayer11
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by theplayer11 »

DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:08 am
e5116 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:00 am
dboeger1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm
solarcub wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 pm

I've always wondered how these actually work. Like, let's say I normally buy plane tickets through Orbitz or Travelocity, or direct from the airline if they are not on those sites. Then how do I do it with Chase Points? Do they have their own version of Travelocity?
They do, although the values won't be the best. The CSP lets you redeem at 1.25 cents per point, the CSR at 1.5 cpp. The problem is that the Chase Travel Portal doesn't always have the best prices among travel sites, so the sometimes artificially inflated prices counter some of the benefits of those redemption values.
They used to have their own portal, but now it's powered by Expedia, and the results I have seen have always matched. I've seen like a dollar difference than directly with the airline based on different rounding or something, but in my searches, I've seen the same inventory and pricing these days. I've probably booked 7 times through the Chase portal so not a ridiculous number, but a reasonable sample size. I've done it for hotels too. With pay yourself back now though, given that's the same redemption value, doing that instead now (although that's scheduled to end Sept 30, but maybe will be extended).

It's getting harder and harder to find killer redemptions with travel partners with the removal of award charts and the move to dynamic award pricing to align with cash fares....I used to be great at it, now it's really hard with the big ones like United. Something like Aer Lingus might offer better rates with their distance based award pricing but I only go to Ireland so much ....Hyatt is popular but I usually don't stay at those properties. I've only done that transfer once. I'm staying at more AirBnbs these days for leisure travel and perhaps Marriott for business, but Marriott transfer from Chase is poor value.
For European vacations from the East Coast and Chi, the best bang for your buck is to fly Iberia to Madrid off season in business class for 68k points round trip. From there, cheap flight to your desired end country. Chase offers Iberia, Aer Lingus and BA credit cards. My wife and I churn through these 3 cards every 2 years and pile up the avios points. Been doing this the last 6 years. We actually look forward to boarding the plane :D
Is there a trick to booking business on Iberia?
I checked the site and picked some off peak dates and all that shows up is Economy and Premium Economy.
No mater what dates I pick it show Business class tickets are not available.
I book well in advance, sometimes 10 months or so. I just checked and there are business seats available in January Bos-Mad. Maybe departing city is a factor and certainly time of year. We fly Jan-Feb as it's are slow time for our business.
UpperNwGuy
Posts: 5710
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by UpperNwGuy »

When do you want to travel?
stocknoob4111
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by stocknoob4111 »

I guess it's only for new applicants? I've had the CSP in the past and I own the CSR currently. I've collected bonuses on both CSP and CSR but it's been several years since I got those bonuses.
theplayer11
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by theplayer11 »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 pm I guess it's only for new applicants? I've had the CSP in the past and I own the CSR currently. I've collected bonuses on both CSP and CSR but it's been several years since I got those bonuses.
4 years from last bonus and you can't currently have a sapphire card.
DrGrnTum
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by DrGrnTum »

stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 pm I guess it's only for new applicants? I've had the CSP in the past and I own the CSR currently. I've collected bonuses on both CSP and CSR but it's been several years since I got those bonuses.
You need to cancel the CSR or product change it to a freedom or freedom unlimited. (I recommend a product change.)
Once you have done this you can then apply for the CSP.

I just did this. I did wait a month before I applied.
I am not sure how long you have to wait before you can re-apply.
If you get rejected and you are under 5/25 you can always call the recon line and explain to them your situation.
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:33 pm
stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 pm I guess it's only for new applicants? I've had the CSP in the past and I own the CSR currently. I've collected bonuses on both CSP and CSR but it's been several years since I got those bonuses.
You need to cancel the CSR or product change it to a freedom or freedom unlimited. (I recommend a product change.)
Once you have done this you can then apply for the CSP.

I just did this. I did wait a month before I applied.
I am not sure how long you have to wait before you can re-apply.
If you get rejected and you are under 5/25 you can always call the recon line and explain to them your situation.
I did a product change in April of this year and went from CSR to a Freedom Unlimited. I only waited a week after that until applying for CSP. I applied online and was instantly approved.
theplayer11
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by theplayer11 »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:12 pm
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:33 pm
stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 pm I guess it's only for new applicants? I've had the CSP in the past and I own the CSR currently. I've collected bonuses on both CSP and CSR but it's been several years since I got those bonuses.
You need to cancel the CSR or product change it to a freedom or freedom unlimited. (I recommend a product change.)
Once you have done this you can then apply for the CSP.

I just did this. I did wait a month before I applied.
I am not sure how long you have to wait before you can re-apply.
If you get rejected and you are under 5/25 you can always call the recon line and explain to them your situation.
I did a product change in April of this year and went from CSR to a Freedom Unlimited. I only waited a week after that until applying for CSP. I applied online and was instantly approved.
and your last csp bonus was over 48 months ago?
jayk238
Posts: 843
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by jayk238 »

dboeger1 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:55 pm
solarcub wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:43 pm
pindevil wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:37 pm This is an excellent offer. Most likely the best ever offered for Sapphire. A no brainer if you like travel rewards.
I've always wondered how these actually work. Like, let's say I normally buy plane tickets through Orbitz or Travelocity, or direct from the airline if they are not on those sites. Then how do I do it with Chase Points? Do they have their own version of Travelocity?
They do, although the values won't be the best. The CSP lets you redeem at 1.25 cents per point, the CSR at 1.5 cpp. The problem is that the Chase Travel Portal doesn't always have the best prices among travel sites, so the sometimes artificially inflated prices counter some of the benefits of those redemption values. The way the major travel bloggers tend to get the most value (>2 cpp) is by transferring points to travel partners. So for example, if you want to book a flight, you can transfer Chase points to an airline miles program and then book an award flight as if you had earned those loyalty miles through travel. The value of those redemptions varies wildly, and many of the best ones require some roundabout ways. A common one is that airlines partner with each other through various groups and deals, and they often have different point requirements, so the cheapest way to book an airline with points might be through another partner airline or program. These redemptions are somewhat complex and dependent on award flight availability, which can be hit or miss, so the points game is not nearly as easy in practice as the travel bloggers like to make it seem. It's definitely best for frequent leisure travelers with lots of flexibility (basically travel bloggers). It's not so great for your typical salaried office worker who tends to take vacations around busy holidays, because many award programs restrict award availability during those times. I'm running into this problem now, because I've been building up points throughout the pandemic, and I'm just starting to look at redemptions, but I really don't have the flexibility to take advantage of the good ones. The bonuses are still worth it even as cash back because they're so much bigger than the annual fees, but it's very likely for average people to hit a wall where they're just better off redeeming for cash back instead of those juicy travel awards.
Thats weird because for us chase always has the best prices to wherever we go. Maybe it depends on location and destination?
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by dbr »

Most often I would use Chase or AMEX points by combining them with points already in the program of one airline or another -- at time of finding a flight.
User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 11764
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by JoMoney »

I have a non-Saphire credit account with Chase already, they're telling me I'm "Pre-Approved" for this offer. I'm wondering if it will result in another hard-pull of my credit report :confused
Are these Saphire bonus points redeemable for cash?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
lakpr
Posts: 7960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by lakpr »

JoMoney wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:24 am I have a non-Saphire credit account with Chase already, they're telling me I'm "Pre-Approved" for this offer. I'm wondering if it will result in another hard-pull of my credit report :confused
Are these Saphire bonus points redeemable for cash?
Sample points seem to indicate that if you see the Preapproved link when you login to Chase.com, then you are (almost) guaranteed to get the card. Internal pre-approvals apparently bypass the 5/48 rule. Yes it will result in a hard pull on your credit report

Sapphire bonus points are redeemable for cash at the rate of 1cent per point, but that is a poor use of the points. You can redeem that at the rate of 1.25 cents per point for grocery purchases (limited time before this particular category is pulled; it was added during the pandemic), and if you book travel through the Chase portal. You can also transfer them to travel partners and get even higher redemptions, but then it becomes YMMV.

Even if you are not traveling or staying in any hotels, I suggest buying prepaid grocery cards at your favorite grocery stores and redeem those points at 1.25 cents per point.
camper1
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by camper1 »

I looked at the 100,000 offer online and no expiration date is mentioned. We have a future trip planned and would like to wait to apply for offer until mid July so travel will go toward minimum spend for bonus. I would assume offer would still be available in July but would hate to wait and have it disappear. How long do these offers usually last and do they typically advertise an expiration date for the offer?
lakpr
Posts: 7960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by lakpr »

camper1 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:51 am I looked at the 100,000 offer online and no expiration date is mentioned. We have a future trip planned and would like to wait to apply for offer until mid July so travel will go toward minimum spend for bonus. I would assume offer would still be available in July but would hate to wait and have it disappear. How long do these offers usually last and do they typically advertise an expiration date for the offer?
A better approach would be to get the card now, and use Plastiq or buy grocery gift cards etc. that you can use for future purchases, then use the 100k points towards the travel. Surely you have some grocery stores where you regularly shop, and they sell gift cards?

I have seen that these offers typically last about a couple of months, but the sooner you jump on these offers the better it would be. I vaguely remember the 100k points offer on Chase Sapphire Reserve launched in October and pulled in January (reduced points after that ...)
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

How does it work with cancelling before the annual fee hits? Basically...have wife open it and meet the minimum spend.....get the bonus.....transfer it to my reserve I currently have......have wife close the card?
lakpr
Posts: 7960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by lakpr »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am How does it work with cancelling before the annual fee hits? Basically...have wife open it and meet the minimum spend.....get the bonus.....transfer it to my reserve I currently have......have wife close the card?
It does work, but the annual fee hits on the very first cycle and does not get refunded pro-rata if you close it before the year is up, if I remember correctly.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

Thanks! So there is no way of avoiding the annual fee then? So just subtract that from the 100,000 bonus value?
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:56 am
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:12 pm
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:33 pm
stocknoob4111 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:51 pm I guess it's only for new applicants? I've had the CSP in the past and I own the CSR currently. I've collected bonuses on both CSP and CSR but it's been several years since I got those bonuses.
You need to cancel the CSR or product change it to a freedom or freedom unlimited. (I recommend a product change.)
Once you have done this you can then apply for the CSP.

I just did this. I did wait a month before I applied.
I am not sure how long you have to wait before you can re-apply.
If you get rejected and you are under 5/25 you can always call the recon line and explain to them your situation.
I did a product change in April of this year and went from CSR to a Freedom Unlimited. I only waited a week after that until applying for CSP. I applied online and was instantly approved.
and your last csp bonus was over 48 months ago?
Yes it has been over 48 months since I got a bonus for CSP and over 48 months since I got a bonus for CSR (which was the second Sapphire bonus I got). The new card is for a CSP bonus again and to determine eligibility for the bonus, 48 months had to have passed since I got the bonus on the CSR, not the CSP, since the CSR was my most recent Sapphire bonus.
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

lakpr wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:49 am
BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am How does it work with cancelling before the annual fee hits? Basically...have wife open it and meet the minimum spend.....get the bonus.....transfer it to my reserve I currently have......have wife close the card?
It does work, but the annual fee hits on the very first cycle and does not get refunded pro-rata if you close it before the year is up, if I remember correctly.
I don’t know about CSP but when I cancelled my CSR and changed to Freedom Unlimited in April, I received a credit of $187.50 for the annual fee. The fee had been $450 on that card and $187.50/$450 works out to a credit of 5 months. So they did prorate the fee on that account, which I wasn’t expecting but very happy about. Chase is a class act.

So anyone who currently has a CSR card and has already paid the fee may be better off changing product rather than cancelling the card. If you do cancel, perhaps they still prorate the fee and send out a check but I don’t really know.

On a related note, before cancelling the CSR, it’s good to use up the perks such as the $60 Door Dash credit that is being offered this year and get Global Entry/TSA Precheck if you don’t currently have that since there is a $100 credit toward it.
theplayer11
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by theplayer11 »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am How does it work with cancelling before the annual fee hits? Basically...have wife open it and meet the minimum spend.....get the bonus.....transfer it to my reserve I currently have......have wife close the card?
not good practice to cancel card after getting bonus. You want to stay in good graces with Chase if you plan on getting more cards and bonuses in the future.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

makes sense....when is a sensible time to cancel if we don't plan on using the card?
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:02 am Thanks! So there is no way of avoiding the annual fee then? So just subtract that from the 100,000 bonus value?
Just accept the $95 fee - at least for the first year. They are giving you a bonus of $1000 in cash or $1250 In groceries or something like $1500-$2000 in travel. In exchange, they charge $95.

They charge that $95 fee up front, by the way. You can keep the card for 11 months and change product or cancel at that time if you so wish. If you still have a high balance of points remaining in the account, it may be worth it to keep the account open for longer too. It can be useful to transfer Chase points to travel partners, for instance. The redemption value can be pretty good that way.
MrJedi
Posts: 812
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by MrJedi »

If you live near a Chase branch, they are offering a better offer when you apply in the branch. You get the 100,000 points but also you get the annual fee waived the first year and a $50 statement credit for groceries. Basically another $145 in value.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

Thank you Ron. You've helped me with a lot with just reading a bunch of your posts. Thanks Mr Jedi as well for the in branch tip.
theplayer11
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by theplayer11 »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:26 am makes sense....when is a sensible time to cancel if we don't plan on using the card?
1 year, better to downgrade the card than cancel
HomeStretch
Posts: 6528
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:06 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by HomeStretch »

Nice deal. First time I have applied for a credit card in-branch. Painless and I was in-out in under 20 minutes. 100,000 points/$95 AF waived first year/$50 grocery credit with $4,000 spend in 1st 3 months. The branch offer still showed as 80,000 points but the bank rep called to expedite my card delivery and confirmed the bonus will be 100,000 points.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by dbr »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:26 am makes sense....when is a sensible time to cancel if we don't plan on using the card?
This may be helpful: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-u ... 020-a.html

AMEX for one has seemed to get fairly nasty with people playing games with card benefits, such as not holding cards for a full year, etc. I don't think Chase has gone that far, but read the above.

Personally I don't think there is a lot of sense in getting into Chase for one benefit on a $95 card and then bailing to avoid a second year fee. Note especially the 5/24 Chase rule. Sapphire Preferred is one of the "keeper" travel cards.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

intereseting. i had been keeping the Reserve for its car insurance for car rentals and the annual fee is minimal to me after the door dash and travel credit.....

will the points be worth more if I transfer the CSP to the CSR? I just can't see the need for the CSP AND the CSR but I am admittedly a novice...
lakpr
Posts: 7960
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by lakpr »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:49 am intereseting. i had been keeping the Reserve for its car insurance for car rentals and the annual fee is minimal to me after the door dash and travel credit.....

will the points be worth more if I transfer the CSP to the CSR? I just can't see the need for the CSP AND the CSR but I am admittedly a novice...
Firstly, my understanding is that you cannot get a bonus for CSP, if you already have a CSR. You can certainly be approved for the CSP, but I really do not see the point.

If you have the CSR but your spouse does not have the CSP, have the spouse apply for CSP and earn the bonus, and then you can transfer those UR points from spouse-CSP to your-CSR. Yes, the points would be worth more -- IF redeemed for Pay-Yourself-Back or Travel. No difference if you want to redeem those points in cash.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

THanks! That is the plan wife CSP transfer to my CSR!
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:34 pm THanks! That is the plan wife CSP transfer to my CSR!
Good plan. If booking travel through the Chase Portal or redeeming for groceries, the points are worth more on CSR than they are on CSP (1.5 cents per point vs 1.25 cents per point).
DrGrnTum
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:22 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by DrGrnTum »

dbr wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:39 pm
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Is there a trick to booking business on Iberia?
I checked the site and picked some off peak dates and all that shows up is Economy and Premium Economy.
No mater what dates I pick it show Business class tickets are not available.
In my experience the trick to finding miles redemptions in business on most airlines is searching around to find a date/season and schedule when something pops up. This usually means starting to look months up to the 330 days ahead or whatever it is that seats are loaded for that airline, though they can release inventory at any time. You also have to consider alternative destinations and routings. There are ways to search using tools like Expert Flyer, etc. There are tricks such as searching for one way segments to figure out where the block is to the availability. If the problem is something like getting from St. Louis to Chicago in first, but Chicago to Dublin is available then try some work arounds for that. Unlike on Bogleheads not all roads lead to Dublin, at least not in upper class.

If you really want to dig into it you need to start reading on Flyer Talk where the conversation is oriented to exactly these things.

We were able to travel US to Australia in business by connecting through Honolulu rather than trying to find non-stops. That was using AA miles on Hawaiian. It was actually a great itinerary because we were able to spend time in Hawaii and it also breaks up the length of the trip.
Thanks for the advice. I am realizing that traveling to a location and using that spot as a staging place for the rest of my travels is the way to go to get the best value.
The trick is to find the bargains. A few years back we did a LA to Copenhagen to France trip. Last year we had a LA to London to Germany all fully booked with flights and lodging. That all got canceled because of Covid. Almost all this trip was done using bonus points. We got some back, but not all.

Covid did allow us to step back and reset to get under Chase’s 5/24 rule. And since we are now over the Sapphire 48 months rule, both my wife and I have signed up for the CP using a bonus referral. Getting those business tickets for Boston to Madrid using the bonuses from those Chase Avios cards is a real bargain. I have miles on a local airline program that will get us from LA to Boston. Never been to Boston. Probably spend some time there before we fly to Madrid. The potential problem with all this staging is if we miss a flight, or one gets canceled. Everything could get disturbed.

I have used Flytalk but I find it difficult to navigate to find the correct content I am looking for. I also frequent the Reddit travel site. I use Reddit Churning and Doctor of Credit to keep abreast of the best CC sign bonuses. The people at Reddit and Fly Talk are not most friendly people. I would have gotten hammered over there for the basic question I asked earlier in this thread.

I have found that doing CCs for bonus, for travel is far more involved that investing. I am retired. I got the time. I consider it a hobby. I enjoy it. I get to see the world. I can see how this game is not for everyone.
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by dbr »

DrGrnTum wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:51 pm
I have found that doing CCs for bonus, for travel is far more involved that investing. I am retired. I got the time. I consider it a hobby. I enjoy it. I get to see the world. I can see how this game is not for everyone.
That pretty well sums it up says one who has cycled through a few million FF miles and still has a bunch to go. At some point one just goes and buys the tickets and moves on. I look on cash back cards the same way. My 5% off at Amazon is the only one that interests me. But we went ahead and took the offer subject of this thread. It's kind of a point of pride to cash in on that particular card especially after taking enough of a hiatus to get past the 5/24.
Soon2BXProgrammer
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

i just did the CSP for myself and wife in store today.. the banker was well aware of the 80k points (+20k points to be auto added), $50 grocery credit and annual fee waiver.. We did both applications in about 15 minutes.
Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®), Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®) -- I am not your advisor.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

How do you get 20k added in branch?
Soon2BXProgrammer
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 pm How do you get 20k added in branch?
this is only for new applications..

Image
Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®), Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®) -- I am not your advisor.
BashDash
Posts: 902
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by BashDash »

Thanks. So just request the 100,000 bonus offer I guess. I'm sending wife on a solo mission to the bank so I don't want her to have a hassle.
RMO87
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:11 am
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by RMO87 »

I know one can transfer Chase UR points to Southwest Rapid Rewards. But can you split the 100,000 points multiple ways? For example, can I transfer 25,000 points to each of the four members of my family? 25,000 points to each of our Rapid Rewards accounts??

Thanks in advance!
e5116
Posts: 726
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:22 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by e5116 »

RMO87 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:59 pm I know one can transfer Chase UR points to Southwest Rapid Rewards. But can you split the 100,000 points multiple ways? For example, can I transfer 25,000 points to each of the four members of my family? 25,000 points to each of our Rapid Rewards accounts??

Thanks in advance!
The name on the account needs to match is my understanding. So, you can only transfer to the account that matches the credit card. (If you have multiple family members with Chase, you CAN transfer points between the family I believe. Or if you have a joint/AU account). Having said that, if you're simply looking to book a flight for four members of your family, it's much better to transfer to ONE account and book everyone there. You are NOT restricted to book only for the person that has the points - you can book for others. That is, you can use the 100,000 points to book 4 different people (anybody) @25,000 points each. Easier/better to keep it on the same reservation.
dbr
Posts: 36362
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by dbr »

e5116 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:15 pm
RMO87 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:59 pm I know one can transfer Chase UR points to Southwest Rapid Rewards. But can you split the 100,000 points multiple ways? For example, can I transfer 25,000 points to each of the four members of my family? 25,000 points to each of our Rapid Rewards accounts??

Thanks in advance!
The name on the account needs to match is my understanding. So, you can only transfer to the account that matches the credit card. (If you have multiple family members with Chase, you CAN transfer points between the family I believe. Or if you have a joint/AU account). Having said that, if you're simply looking to book a flight for four members of your family, it's much better to transfer to ONE account and book everyone there. You are NOT restricted to book only for the person that has the points - you can book for others. That is, you can use the 100,000 points to book 4 different people (anybody) @25,000 points each. Easier/better to keep it on the same reservation.
Right. In general it is better to concentrate frequent flyer points in the account of one person and then have that person book flights for other people. You avoid getting orphan points or having to pay to transfer points around.

It might be you can transfer points between family members. I know that at AMEX to transfer your AMEX points to an airline account of another person it can be done if they are an authorized user on one of your AMEX cards. British Airways AVIOS can be combined in a family account, or making sure they are not in a family account, can be transferred among one person's BA, Iberia, and Aer Lingus account and back again. Otherwise they are pretty strict about sharing points around. Also points are not transferred to a beneficiary at death, I'm pretty sure.
theplayer11
Posts: 1628
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by theplayer11 »

DrGrnTum wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:51 pm
dbr wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:39 pm
DrGrnTum wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Is there a trick to booking business on Iberia?
I checked the site and picked some off peak dates and all that shows up is Economy and Premium Economy.
No mater what dates I pick it show Business class tickets are not available.
In my experience the trick to finding miles redemptions in business on most airlines is searching around to find a date/season and schedule when something pops up. This usually means starting to look months up to the 330 days ahead or whatever it is that seats are loaded for that airline, though they can release inventory at any time. You also have to consider alternative destinations and routings. There are ways to search using tools like Expert Flyer, etc. There are tricks such as searching for one way segments to figure out where the block is to the availability. If the problem is something like getting from St. Louis to Chicago in first, but Chicago to Dublin is available then try some work arounds for that. Unlike on Bogleheads not all roads lead to Dublin, at least not in upper class.

If you really want to dig into it you need to start reading on Flyer Talk where the conversation is oriented to exactly these things.

We were able to travel US to Australia in business by connecting through Honolulu rather than trying to find non-stops. That was using AA miles on Hawaiian. It was actually a great itinerary because we were able to spend time in Hawaii and it also breaks up the length of the trip.
Thanks for the advice. I am realizing that traveling to a location and using that spot as a staging place for the rest of my travels is the way to go to get the best value.
The trick is to find the bargains. A few years back we did a LA to Copenhagen to France trip. Last year we had a LA to London to Germany all fully booked with flights and lodging. That all got canceled because of Covid. Almost all this trip was done using bonus points. We got some back, but not all.

Covid did allow us to step back and reset to get under Chase’s 5/24 rule. And since we are now over the Sapphire 48 months rule, both my wife and I have signed up for the CP using a bonus referral. Getting those business tickets for Boston to Madrid using the bonuses from those Chase Avios cards is a real bargain. I have miles on a local airline program that will get us from LA to Boston. Never been to Boston. Probably spend some time there before we fly to Madrid. The potential problem with all this staging is if we miss a flight, or one gets canceled. Everything could get disturbed.

I have used Flytalk but I find it difficult to navigate to find the correct content I am looking for. I also frequent the Reddit travel site. I use Reddit Churning and Doctor of Credit to keep abreast of the best CC sign bonuses. The people at Reddit and Fly Talk are not most friendly people. I would have gotten hammered over there for the basic question I asked earlier in this thread.

I have found that doing CCs for bonus, for travel is far more involved that investing. I am retired. I got the time. I consider it a hobby. I enjoy it. I get to see the world. I can see how this game is not for everyone.
Madrid is an underrated city. What we do is fly Bos-Mad business class and stay 2 nights in Madrid before we hop on a cheap flight to other European countries. We have had good luck traveling off season and being able to check into our room in the early morning hours. A quick nap and then off for some Tapas and Sangria. It really breaks up the travel.
User avatar
gobel
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by gobel »

I was waiting for the referral links to update and they just did (credit to doctorofcredit). Generated link says 100k + 20k for the referrer (previously it was 80k+$50 grocery credit + 15k for the referrer).
tj
Posts: 4711
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by tj »

theplayer11 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 am
BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am How does it work with cancelling before the annual fee hits? Basically...have wife open it and meet the minimum spend.....get the bonus.....transfer it to my reserve I currently have......have wife close the card?
not good practice to cancel card after getting bonus. You want to stay in good graces with Chase if you plan on getting more cards and bonuses in the future.
They created rules to deal with that. You're only allowed the bonus once every 48 months. Patiently waiting for Sept 2022. Disappointed I'm likely going to miss out no the 100k offer, again. (Also missed out on 100k Reserve offer years ago)
Soon2BXProgrammer
Posts: 2424
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

tj wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:36 pm
theplayer11 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:17 am
BashDash wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:41 am How does it work with cancelling before the annual fee hits? Basically...have wife open it and meet the minimum spend.....get the bonus.....transfer it to my reserve I currently have......have wife close the card?
not good practice to cancel card after getting bonus. You want to stay in good graces with Chase if you plan on getting more cards and bonuses in the future.
They created rules to deal with that. You're only allowed the bonus once every 48 months. Patiently waiting for Sept 2022. Disappointed I'm likely going to miss out no the 100k offer, again. (Also missed out on 100k Reserve offer years ago)
I will wait till they want to charge the annual fee, and i will call in and ask for it to be waived, if they waive it, ill keep the card, if they don't, then i'll ask to close it instead.
Chartered Financial Consultant (ChFC®), Retirement Income Certified Professional (RICP®) -- I am not your advisor.
raixx017
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:41 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by raixx017 »

When one eventually cancels this card, what happens to the credit history associated with that card ? What about the credit score? My spouse has the CSR card... don't feel it's worth $450 annual fees anymore.
tj
Posts: 4711
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:10 am

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by tj »

raixx017 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:07 pm When one eventually cancels this card, what happens to the credit history associated with that card ? What about the credit score? My spouse has the CSR card... don't feel it's worth $450 annual fees anymore.
Closed accounts stay on your history for 10 years. And then they disappear. When it drops in 10 years, I doubt you'll notice anything. But instead of cancelling, you could convert to a card that does not have a fee, such as the Chase Freedom Flex.
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

gobel wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:08 pm I was waiting for the referral links to update and they just did (credit to doctorofcredit). Generated link says 100k + 20k for the referrer (previously it was 80k+$50 grocery credit + 15k for the referrer).
Wow, the referral offer is amazing. It was a good move to wait for it.
Ron Ronnerson
Posts: 2255
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:53 pm
Location: Bay Area

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Since some people are going into the bank anyhow to open the CSP, I thought I'd mention that Chase is also running some great bonuses for business accounts right now. There is a checking bonus offer for $750 if you deposit $10k or more (and maintain that balance for 60 days) and make 25 transactions. More information on the offer is here: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/targeted ... -required/

I called a branch yesterday and made an appointment to open up a business checking account (I received an offer in the mail for it but believe anyone can open an account). I do have a registered business. I have read that it is easier to open in person but some people have had success opening the business checking account online as well. I deposited $11k into the account and, when the debit card arrives, will make 25 transactions. The banker said I was pre-approved for a business card and gave me several card options. I opened one up that gives 75,000 points for spending $7500 in the first three months. It's the Ink Business Unlimited and there is no annual fee. There was the option to open an Ink Business Preferred card for 100k points but the $15k spending requirement is too much for me.

My wife is going to open a business checking soon as well but will pass on the credit card for now as we're working on meeting the minimum spending requirements on my card. I plan to refer my wife in a few months using my business credit card (this can be done through the app) so that she can earn a bonus and I can also get referral points.

We each opened the CSP in the past few months as well, when the offer was $80k points and $50 grocery credit (my wife did earn 15k points for referring me as well).

If you're eligible for the business offers, they are a way to further boost your Ultimate Rewards balance.
SimonJester
Posts: 2280
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by SimonJester »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:01 pm i just did the CSP for myself and wife in store today.. the banker was well aware of the 80k points (+20k points to be auto added), $50 grocery credit and annual fee waiver.. We did both applications in about 15 minutes.
I just went in ans my banker did not know about the 20K point auto added, hopefully it will be added to my account once I hit the bonus...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
camper1
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:39 pm

Re: CSP new offer: 100,000 bonus points

Post by camper1 »

Just applied through my wife's referral link and was linked to a 100,000 point offer plus referral bonus for wife is now 20,000 points. Does not waive the first year $95.00 fee, but may beats having to go into the branch!
Post Reply