How to pay wife's credit card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
huzaing

How to pay wife's credit card

Post by huzaing »

Hi,

My wife has a credit card which is set to autopay the full balance from her personal checking account.
Every month we look at the amount deducted from her checking account (i.e. the credit card bill), and I transfer that amount from my checking to her checking.

Is there a way to automate this? Either:
- Pay her CC bill from my checking, or
- Transfer the bill amount from my checking to her checking.

I know I can do billpay from my checking account, but if I set it up from my side, I won't know what the future CC bill would be.
Any thoughts please?
Jags4186

Re: How to pay wife's credit card

Post by Jags4186 »

huzaing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am Hi,

My wife has a credit card which is set to autopay the full balance from her personal checking account.
Every month we look at the amount deducted from her checking account (i.e. the credit card bill), and I transfer that amount from my checking to her checking.

I know I can do billpay from my checking account, but if I set it up from my side, I won't know what the future CC bill would be.
Any thoughts please?
Change the autopay checking account from hers to yours?
terran

Post by terran »

You could set up a checking account someplace that will pull overdrafts from a savings account (I know Ally Bank does this) and leave some of your emergency fund there, if you keep one. That way you'd have a larger buffer before you have to worry about the credit card overdrawing the account. I just check the statement balance once a month along with any other upcoming bills and make sure the checking account they come out of has enough in it to cover them.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am Change the autopay checking account from hers to yours?
This. Even better, why not have a joint checking? Why are you going through the extra steps of checking her balance and transferring money from one checking to another?
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

mptfan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 am
Jags4186 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am Change the autopay checking account from hers to yours?
This. Even better, why not have a joint checking? Why are you going through the extra steps of checking her balance and transferring money from one checking to another?
This ^^^

As to knowing the amount, you know it at least 3 weeks ahead of time.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:50 am
huzaing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:47 am Hi,

Any thoughts please?
Change the autopay checking account from hers to yours?
mptfan wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:56 am
Thanks for the simple suggestion. I thought we could only use a linked checking account to pay the CC bill. By linked I mean an account that's connected to your online account for transfers. So we were using her checking account to pay the bill. And then transferring the same amount from my checking to hers to replenish.

I just checked and was able to assign my checking to autopay her CC bill.

So, problem solved. Thank you so much :)
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

huzaing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 am I just checked and was able to assign my checking to autopay her CC bill.

Must not have been an Amex? I ran into trouble saying the name on the bank account does not match the primary obligor on the credit card (although 5 or so years ago and I canceled the card in 2019).
leeks

Post by leeks »

Simplify to one joint checking account.
Gill

Post by Gill »

leeks wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:40 pm Simplify to one joint checking account.
Many folks (imitating Livesoft) don’t want a joint checking account.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

huzaing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 am
Thanks for the simple suggestion. I thought we could only use a linked checking account to pay the CC bill. By linked I mean an account that's connected to your online account for transfers. So we were using her checking account to pay the bill. And then transferring the same amount from my checking to hers to replenish.

I suggest you run a trial transfer, say $20, to make sure everything links/works correctly, before you rely on autopay to happen.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Also recommend simplifying to a single credit card.
shess

Post by shess »

huzaing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 am Thanks for the simple suggestion. I thought we could only use a linked checking account to pay the CC bill. By linked I mean an account that's connected to your online account for transfers. So we were using her checking account to pay the bill. And then transferring the same amount from my checking to hers to replenish.

I have all our credit cards paid from an Ally savings sub-account. So we get a better rate than checking until the ACH pulls the money out.
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

Normchad wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:57 pm
Disagree strongly with this particular advice. Not only does this (cutting down to single card) affect your credit scores negatively, it also exposes the person to the whims of the particular card issuer. If credit card fraud happens, this person is without credit until the replacement card arrives, which can be at least two to three weeks.

Imagine a scenario where you are on vacation, planned to pay hotel / flight / car rental expenses using this single card. Then the card gets compromised.
leeks

Post by leeks »

lakpr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 am
Disagree strongly with this particular advice. Not only does this (cutting down to single card) affect your credit scores negatively, it also exposes the person to the whims of the particular card issuer. If credit card fraud happens, this person is without credit until the replacement card arrives, which can be at least two to three weeks.

Imagine a scenario where you are on vacation, planned to pay hotel / flight / car rental expenses using this single card. Then the card gets compromised.
You can keep backup card or two but still only use one for normal spending (unless an issue arises). The other cards don't have to be closed, just put aside.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Why don't you just pay the bill yourself?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 am
lakpr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 am

You can keep backup card or two but still only use one for normal spending (unless an issue arises). The other cards don't have to be closed, just put aside.
This has actually happened to me on vacation; and it was no,problem. My card has a different number on it than the wife’s card. My card was compromised, and got cancelled. The wife’s continued to work just fine. The card issuer overnighted a new card to me at the hotel.

But backups are always a good idea. In a pinch, my ATM card is also a Visa card, although I’ve never used it that way…..
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

RetiredAL wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 pm
huzaing wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:30 am

I suggest you run a trial transfer, say $20, to make sure everything links/works correctly, before you rely on autopay to happen.
I never do that. If you put in the info correctly, and THEY don't pull correctly, their problem.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

lakpr wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:01 amIf credit card fraud happens, this person is without credit until the replacement card arrives, which can be at least two to three weeks.
I have gotten a replacement card within a week, it's been my experience that the credit card issuer wants to get the card to you as quickly as possible so you will start using it again.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 am You can keep backup card or two but still only use one for normal spending (unless an issue arises). The other cards don't have to be closed, just put aside.
The potential problem with this approach is you may not use your backup card for a while, maybe several months or more, and you don't realize that there is a problem with the card until you try to use it and if it does not work.
leeks

Post by leeks »

mptfan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:57 am
leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:26 am You can keep backup card or two but still only use one for normal spending (unless an issue arises). The other cards don't have to be closed, just put aside.
The potential problem with this approach is you may not use your backup card for a while, maybe several months or more, and you don't realize that there is a problem with the card until you try to use it and if it does not work.
I have done this for many years without issue. It is true that eyes on accounts are always needed. I login and review all accounts once per month when I update our family finance spreadsheet.

I have had occasional reasons to use the backup cards, they worked.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

leeks wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 am
mptfan wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:57 am
I have done this for many years without issue. It is true that eyes on accounts are always needed. I login and review all accounts once per month when I update our family finance spreadsheet.
I had a Capital One card as a backup. Logged in every month to monitor the account. Always zero balance. Everything looked fine. No notices whatsoever.

Needed it as a backup one day. The card was declined. Called Capital One. They said the card was locked and had been for months. They acknowledged that they never sent me any notice of such. Not a phone call, email, letter, or warning on my online account. They wouldn't unlock the account unless I snail-mailed them a copy of my driver's license. Instead, I canceled the card, closed my account, and closed my Capital One savings accounts. My wife did the same.

I now routinely use three different credit cards, which also optimizes my cash back on spending.