Investing in..your career

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
JDonaghy

Investing in..your career

Post by JDonaghy »

Mid-30s, 6 years at my megacorp post military career, very well paid -25% above market, good manager, work itself is ok but... i'm not not learning good skillset to set up me up for long term career success...my company is not really strong in the function i'm in
moving internally won't really help unless i want to move functions (which is a possibility if anything good opens up but the best jobs in the function i'm interested in are using given to people already in that function)
Job security is ok, company seems to love to hire externally....and eventually i won't be competitive vs people with better experience.

When people leave - almost always involuntarily - they usually land at smaller companies in our industry - so they don't starve.

Not looking to find my bliss at work or be a CEO but to remain gainfully employed and have some sort of impact on my company, customers, product.

Am starting to interview elsewhere and willing to take a paycut to do so

That said - seems silly to take a paycut for no reason. Or even leave company.

I can be, not FI but at point where i don't need to sock it away in 10 years

Does anyone say to just ride it out as long as possible - could be 3-5-10 more years who knows?

Seems like it gets harder as you get older to change.
jebmke

Re: Investing in..your career

Post by jebmke »

JDonaghy wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:27 pm moving internally won't really help unless i want to move functions
I did this more than once and each time, I looked back and considered these jobs some of the most fun, challenging jobs that I had ever held. They really stretched me and contributed to how I performed when I returned to my traditional function.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

If you’re not growing, you’re dying. Mid 30s is too early to stagnate.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Field? Degree? If you haven’t got your masters yet that could be an excellent way to launch into a more rewarding niche if you still have some military benefits you haven’t used yet. I’m about to start my MBA using the GI Bill. It’s insane how much money it’s going to save me.

There’s also tons of online learning/training resources for areas or skills that interest you and are valuable for your career. I like Coursera, I’m using it to learn more about computers and coding. Ultimately you’re responsible for yourself. Do your job and in your free time set yourself up for your next big thing.
Topic Author
JDonaghy

Post by JDonaghy »

Impatience wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 pm Field? Degree? If you haven’t got your masters yet that could be an excellent way to launch into a more rewarding niche if you still have some military benefits you haven’t used yet. I’m about to start my MBA using the GI Bill. It’s insane how much money it’s going to save me.

There’s also tons of online learning/training resources for areas or skills that interest you and are valuable for your career. I like Coursera, I’m using it to learn more about computers and coding. Ultimately you’re responsible for yourself. Do your job and in your free time set yourself up for your next big thing.
Thanks. I do have my MBA from top school and am also taking some Coursera courses (employer pays). I'm looking for some solid work experience to complement the education.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

IMHO: mid 30's is a great time to set the bar high and get into a place and position for long term overwhelming success and rewards in proportion to high ambition, drive, and a winning attitude. (Think Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, etc).

Is your goal "subtantial wealth" or "financial security"?
Is your goal the highest and most rewarding position in a company?
Is your goal eventual self employment and autonomy, with the financial rewards of that?

But, everyone has different comfort levels, need for security/structure/boundaries/reassurances, need for a 40 hour work week and days off and a reliable wage, etc.

Only you can take a sincere look at what it takes to be all you can be, and what you are willing to settle for or compromise along the way.

For myself: My son's are of similar ages and I have told them to not ever have to look back and have to say, I "coulda", "shoulda", and didn't live up to my potentials and abilities. It's such a personal thing these things.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

your situation sounds similar to mine to include former AD military. early 50s.

i went the 'ride it out' route. it's been okay. financially secure -- healthcare, 401k, pension, etc. generally like my job / coworkers, etc.

but the opportunity for advancement has been limited. and the usual corporate '-isms', theories, mandates. etc come and go and it gets tiring.

but i have valued the 'stability' and focus I have been able to place on my family.

if i were single and more mobile i may have done it differently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:50 am
Only you can take a sincere look at what it takes to be all you can be, and what you are willing to settle for or compromise along the way.

For myself: My son's are of similar ages and I have told them to not ever have to look back and have to say, I "coulda", "shoulda", and didn't live up to my potentials and abilities. It's such a personal thing these things.
this is very well said IMO. had a Boss years ago said: 'To thine own self be true'.

bottom line -- figure out what's most important to you and build your goals, aspirations and activities around that.

------------------------------------------
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

JDonaghy wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:27 am
Impatience wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:55 pm Field? Degree? If you haven’t got your masters yet that could be an excellent way to launch into a more rewarding niche if you still have some military benefits you haven’t used yet. I’m about to start my MBA using the GI Bill. It’s insane how much money it’s going to save me.

Thanks. I do have my MBA from top school and am also taking some Coursera courses (employer pays). I'm looking for some solid work experience to complement the education.
If you already have a top MBA you have options. Why not start networking with fellow alums who work at companies you are interested in?
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

Normchad wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:50 pm If you’re not growing, you’re dying. Mid 30s is too early to stagnate.
Depends on goals :sharebeer I worked VERY light in mid 30s (but still maxing out 401s) to make sure I spent enough time with kids. Picked up the pace backed in earlier 40s
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP: You are interviewing elsewhere--is the grass really greener there?

Are you contemplating moving because of boredom or fear of missing out? Boredom is a terrible state to be in.

You say you have a good boss, great pay, but not learning/growing: Some might say that achieving two of these three dimension makes for a successful career. Beware changing jobs because you might find that you get into a position in which you have a terrible boss and less pay--would more personal growth compensate for that?

Just FYI, very early in my career I was working in a salaried position in which I was bored. I got my MBA (which you already have), which promptly solved the boredom problem. I eventually left and created my own business. Big question for you: Can you find a way to educate yourself out of the boredom problem while maintaining your otherwise satisfying job

Good luck.
Topic Author
JDonaghy

Post by JDonaghy »

mr_brightside wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 am your situation sounds similar to mine to include former AD military. early 50s.

i went the 'ride it out' route. it's been okay. financially secure -- healthcare, 401k, pension, etc. generally like my job / coworkers, etc.

but the opportunity for advancement has been limited. and the usual corporate '-isms', theories, mandates. etc come and go and it gets tiring.

but i have valued the 'stability' and focus I have been able to place on my family.

if i were single and more mobile i may have done it differently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
That's great, I guess my question is about stability indirectly - i perceive more stability in moving around to develop a skillset than riding it out, based on what I see about my employer, where after 10 years of pushing PPT and creating make-work people are pushed out of company for people with better 'experience'.

Am looking for balance too - currently have two young kids and am looking to make them into well adjusted adults and enjoy my own free time.

To other questions I have been interviewing and networking - there do seem to be companies that are more stable and I'm employable so just a matter of timing.

Where Im headed is that I do want to leave my company, but it doesn't have to be tomorrow, could be up to 2 years from now, gotta find the right opportunity and see if i can get everything to align - instead of jumping because I need a job.

To someone's question about regret - joining the military was the opportunity I didn't want to regret by not doing. At this point its the aforementioned balance.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

I work in public utility regulation. (state job)

We have quite a few folks who had nice careers at said public utilities and eventually ended up here in their 'later years'.(45 and up).
Most of them make less than they used to but come here for the pension and the retiree healthcare.

I have 2 kids and my employment allows me to focus on them, so I'm not complaining. :sharebeer

For example, my kindergartener now has a week of online learning post spring break and I can somehow manage between helping her out and doing my work. Could not do that in my previous private employers easily or at all.
Get rich or die tryin'
Topic Author
JDonaghy

Post by JDonaghy »

That's a good option thanks. I like the public sector personally too.