I want an Airstream!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
The Wizard

Re: I want an Airstream!

Post by The Wizard »

EmergDoc wrote:I would be very cautious about buying a trailer if traveling alone. It's really tough to line up a trailer and attach it by yourself. It doesn't take much error to damage a bumper.
I think the polite thing to say is that some folks will find this technique easier to master than others.
Same goes for backing a trailer into position.
A receiver-based hitch-ball is at least six inches behind the bumper proper. You shouldn't really be trying to haul a camping trailer using one of those toy hitches screwed onto the bumper itself...
Attempted new signature...
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

EmergDoc wrote:I would be very cautious about buying a trailer if traveling alone. It's really tough to line up a trailer and attach it by yourself. It doesn't take much error to damage a bumper.
Not in the age of backup cameras!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

This topic got me to thinking about a past one: "Economics of an RV": http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78997

Back in the day when I was seriously thinking about a long-term travel adventure, there were several personal websites I enjoyed following and I listed some in the above topic.

Submitted for your enjoyment---some of my favorite personal RV travel adventure websites:
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1127628

Just think, if we had a stocked RV and vacation time, we could be on the road tomorrow!

Good times. :)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 »

If you really want an Airstream, but like the thought of a class a or b motorhome that can be parked most anywhere, Airstream makes a van camper based on the Mercedes Strider van.
They are not for me, but they may fit what you want to a T.
If you're in for a bit more rugged unit there is always the Tiger, a 4x4 3/4 ton truck motor home.
For the places I want to go and what I want to do, the Tiger Motor Home may be the best choice.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Hawkeye5 wrote:...
If you're in for a bit more rugged unit there is always the Tiger, a 4x4 3/4 ton truck motor home.
For the places I want to go and what I want to do, the Tiger Motor Home may be the best choice.
If you are interested in a rugged 4x4 class B, could check out Sportsmobile.
Sportsmobile: http://sportsmobile.com/

You could convert an existing vehicle into a camper. One website offering ideas.
Camperize: http://www.camperize.com/index.html
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

We learned a HUGE amount by spending an afternoon at an RV show in Houston. We walked through probably 100 different motor homes and trailers of all types. We expected to like the Airstreams the best but they were very disappointing. We were most blown away by the small RVs like LTV Unity and by the affordable 38 ft fifth wheels with island kitchens, walk-in closets, etc.

What did you decide?
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

Snackdog

- - this is a nine year old thread - -
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Also, for the people in 2021 (not 2012) that want an RV/Trailer, food for thought, there is such a large influx of RV/trailers that people own now and competition for parking space is fierce, you may want to check availability to be able to use, should you buy one.

I was struggling to find anything open in Florida for winter 21/22, rates have gone up as well. I'm hoping this corrects back to normal in a few years, but owning something I can't use really sucks.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

I think an Airstream would look pretty cool pulled by a Tesla Cybertruck. It's probably the only existing trailer that would match the aesthetic. I've already paid my refundable $100 deposit paid for the tri-motor AWD Cybertruck model (0-60 in 2.9 sec, 500+ mile range, 14,000 lb towing capacity). The $69,900 price will be a steal.
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

Haha, I was just coming here to say, it makes no sense* but I preordered a Cybertruck too. Because I want one and can afford one.

* Actually I have an S-corp (which I feel everyone should have as part of their portfolio) and buying a large truck like this would be an instant write-off for my company. Even better, I live in Japan most of the time and could rent the truck out for income through a rental agency, making it generate income for me.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

peterinjapan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:04 pm Haha, I was just coming here to say, it makes no sense* but I preordered a Cybertruck too. Because I want one and can afford one.

* Actually I have an S-corp (which I feel everyone should have as part of their portfolio) and buying a large truck like this would be an instant write-off for my company. Even better, I live in Japan most of the time and could rent the truck out for income through a rental agency, making it generate income for me.
That sounds illegal.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Nestegg_User wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:45 am Snackdog

- - this is a nine year old thread - -
Best post of the day.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

peterinjapan wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:04 pm Haha, I was just coming here to say, it makes no sense* but I preordered a Cybertruck too. Because I want one and can afford one.

Ha, a Cybertruck would be awesome. Driving around Tokyo at night would evoke images of Blade Runner. Not sure how well it would do with the narrow lanes however, but it would be very cool nonetheless.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Kagord wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 6:41 am Also, for the people in 2021 (not 2012) that want an RV/Trailer, food for thought, there is such a large influx of RV/trailers that people own now and competition for parking space is fierce, you may want to check availability to be able to use, should you buy one.

I was struggling to find anything open in Florida for winter 21/22, rates have gone up as well. I'm hoping this corrects back to normal in a few years, but owning something I can't use really sucks.
I sold my trailer last summer as camping is not what it was just a few years ago. Maybe when all the boomers get tired of it we'll try again. Needing to have reservations at least 6 months out for pretty much anywhere just takes the fun out of it. Prices for both campers and many campgrounds have gone way up. Our last trailer was an Escape molded fiberglass. Last I looked its almost a 2 year wait.

I miss camping, used to be a lot of fun.
Regards | Bob
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

Consider that the RV market has been red hot for the last year or so.
Driveways are full of campers that were used once or twice and now sit for months.
In five more years, the realization that they need to sell the camper (if they aren't under water with payments) will dawn on them.
Would you want to be in that boat with them?
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

Tom Hanks trailer will have a new owner August 13

https://www.motor1.com/news/521413/tom- ... -for-sale/
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

2pedals wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:42 pm Tom Hanks trailer will have a new owner August 13

https://www.motor1.com/news/521413/tom- ... -for-sale/
Probably not a BH owner.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
$=WxTxI

Post by $=WxTxI »

retiredjg wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:45 pm I'm thinking I might just go traveling/camping for a year or two. Then again, I might not. But I've been considering doing it since before I retired 5 years ago and I've been looking at travel trailers and motorhomes for about 6 or 7 years. So, I expect I'll probably need to do it at some point. Waiting too many years longer doesn't seem to be the best option. :happy

I've pulled a boat or two. And a little pop up trailer when I was a youngster. But I've never pulled a living size trailer or really any type trailer for more than a few hours. So I'm a little concerned about jumping directly into pulling a full size travel trailer for hours at a time in all manner of conditions. In addition, I'll be traveling alone (other than the dogs) so there will be nobody to help out if/when things get tough.

I've got no worry about whether I can do it (at some point). I just don't want to jump in over my head in the beginning. So I'm thinking about something smaller - 23 foot, 25 foot, maybe 27 foot. Probably nothing larger, at least to start. I've looked at camper-trailers smaller than this and they don't seem to be a good choice for an extended trip.

I'll have to buy another vehicle to pull most trailers. I've got a small SUV right now and it will only tow smaller trailers and probably not very effectively uphill. Especially at altitude. However, since this will also be my only vehicle, I want something in the higher gas milage range.

I've looked at a lot of things, but keep coming back to wanting an Airstream. I like the quality. Other stuff just seems cheap, especially in the smaller versions. And a lot of other things just don't smell right to me - I'm sensitive to chemicals in fabric, cheap wood, etc. The cheaper it is, the more it is a problem for me.

I'm willing to buy used, but even a used Airstream can be quite expensive and often hard to find.

What say you Boglehead camper/travelers? What should I be looking at? What do I need to consider?
Edit: Oops. Sorry for bumping an old thread. Need more coffee. The following advice still stands.

The larger the RV the more restricted you will be.

You have to find the balance (size/comfort vs size restrictions) that works for you and the places you want to go.

Suggestions:

1. A class B, B+, or a small class C under 23ft will get you everywhere.

Pros: Park at grocery stores easily, park in any campsite not just restricted to larger sites. Class Bs will have best gas mileage of any RV on average.

Cons: Less space overall, higher price on B, and B+. Need to tow a small vehicle or just realize you need to take your house with you when you go out for the day. But since it's small not a big deal. Class Bs have highest cost, but also hold their value the best.

2. Travel Trailer under 23 ft overall.

Pros: Can get into almost all campsites. Lighter weight. Leave your house at the site and take the tow vehicle for exploring. Cheapest cost if you already have a tow vehicle.

Cons: More difficult stopping anywhere on your trip. All stops have to be planned and thought out. Stopping for gas? Alot of smaller gas stations are out because of access or turns in the lot. Or the fact that your trailer and tow vehicle will be blocking the lot while you are fueling. Stopping for groceries? Same thing. Plan on parking way out in lot, or on street.

If you want to go anywhere stay with the smallest RV possible. Ideally a class B or C.

We currently own a 18.5 ft overall trailer. In retirement we will be going to a B most likely.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

retiredjg wrote: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:39 am
JMacDonald wrote:Actually, it may be possible to see one if you want to go to the trouble: http://casitatraveltrailers.com/neighborhood.html

Thanks!
We owned one of these, ordered and bought new. We traveled from California to Rice Texas to pick it up at the factory and took three weeks driving back, stopping at campgrounds along the way. Such great memories and pictures. I would say it's fine for a single, but for a couple you would find crawling over each other to get in and out of the bed gets old. They do retain their value however and are a breeze to tow. The fiberglass molded body lasts much better than the run of the mill metal trailer with seams. We sold ours when we moved to the opposite coast, using the proceeds to buy a gently used Tacoma truck.

Not talking about an Airstream though, which is the highest quality around, and well known to last indefinitely. If we could afford it and were able to use it enough to justify the expense it would be a dream come true.
Klmaxx

Post by Klmaxx »

Truly an impossible question for anyone to answer. RV’s of every stripe come with trade-offs. People can tell you about their experiences, but only you what trade offs you’re comfortable with.
Mrsmalltime

Post by Mrsmalltime »

Finally a boglehead topic I know something about!

Bought a used Airstream Bambi 16 and the beginning of the pandemic and drove cross country with my wife and 2 young kids. Bambi was awesome, though I had a chance to sell it for what I bought it for, so I did. A couple things:

1. Maintenance at Airstream dealers - at least 1.5 years ago, they were extremely backed up. And stuff does go wrong, a lot. Rivets pop, leaks, etc. The more they bounce on dirt or poorly paved roads, the more likely this is to happen.

2. Plan on spending 500 - $2k for the hitch. If you start reading about it, there are horror stories of sway from people who just mount them on the ball. Small price to pay for piece of mind.

3. Tow vehicle. I had a Ford F-150 with trailer package which was excellent. It had backup assistance which was critical to getting into camp sites without looking stupid. Also, gas. You are going to burn a lot of it.

4. Learning curve - from emptying the black tank to stabilizing and chocking the wheels on uneven sites, there is a bunch to learn. It’s all intuitive, but it’s a lot of info.

5. Airstreams are there own thing. When you go to a campground, Airstream people tend to stick together for better or worse. It kind of marks you as a yuppie-ish person.

6. Storage. I live in Los Angeles, and in the nine months I owned it, storage double from $125 to $250 when you could find it.

All this being said, I’d love to own another, and I think about my old one all the time. Wasn’t practical now that I’m back to in person work, but there’s a lot in their favor. Who knows what will happen to the RV market, but they will retain some of their value as they are aspirational for a lot of people. Good luck!