I want an Airstream!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retiredjg

I want an Airstream!

Post by retiredjg »

I'm thinking I might just go traveling/camping for a year or two. Then again, I might not. But I've been considering doing it since before I retired 5 years ago and I've been looking at travel trailers and motorhomes for about 6 or 7 years. So, I expect I'll probably need to do it at some point. Waiting too many years longer doesn't seem to be the best option. :happy

I've pulled a boat or two. And a little pop up trailer when I was a youngster. But I've never pulled a living size trailer or really any type trailer for more than a few hours. So I'm a little concerned about jumping directly into pulling a full size travel trailer for hours at a time in all manner of conditions. In addition, I'll be traveling alone (other than the dogs) so there will be nobody to help out if/when things get tough.

I've got no worry about whether I can do it (at some point). I just don't want to jump in over my head in the beginning. So I'm thinking about something smaller - 23 foot, 25 foot, maybe 27 foot. Probably nothing larger, at least to start. I've looked at camper-trailers smaller than this and they don't seem to be a good choice for an extended trip.

I'll have to buy another vehicle to pull most trailers. I've got a small SUV right now and it will only tow smaller trailers and probably not very effectively uphill. Especially at altitude. However, since this will also be my only vehicle, I want something in the higher gas milage range.

I've looked at a lot of things, but keep coming back to wanting an Airstream. I like the quality. Other stuff just seems cheap, especially in the smaller versions. And a lot of other things just don't smell right to me - I'm sensitive to chemicals in fabric, cheap wood, etc. The cheaper it is, the more it is a problem for me.

I'm willing to buy used, but even a used Airstream can be quite expensive and often hard to find.

What say you Boglehead camper/travelers? What should I be looking at? What do I need to consider?
imagardener

Re: I want an Airstream!

Post by imagardener »

Follow your dream.

5 years ago we bought a 22' conversion van (I had to learn what all the different types of RV's were called). It has been the most fun vehicle ever. Tomorrow we leave for an 8 week trip to the Southwest: Yellowstone, Utah national parks that we missed on the last trip (Zion, Capitol Reef, Bryce), Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon in AZ. Stops in Nashville and St. Louis on the way out and Texas on the way back. It's a big, beautiful country.

We get up close and personal with near wilderness while having a comfortable bed and eating healthy food. We are so active all day long that we come home 8-10 lbs. less body weight.

How large are your dogs? And will you be taking them in your truck during the day? They will be with you in whatever vehicle you decide on because you won't be leaving them in the Airstream unless you're there too. If I travelled alone I'd like a dog along too but I'd do it in our Roadtrek van.

We didn't know anything about RV's before buying, just rented a horrible one locally and later spent many hours crawling through every model on a dealers lot. This one had the best bed and overall felt right.

Sounds like you feel that way about Airstreams.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I also felt that way about Roadtrek. In fact, that was my original dream, but several people told me to go trailer rather than motorhome/van.

The good quality ones are a HUGE expense and I'm not sure at this point what I can afford it if I live to 100. :D If I only live to 75, I'm good to go!
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

RETIRED this is a big deal. I have camped for decades with all types from pull campers 5th wheels and motorhomes. My suggestion is to go slow and look around a lot. If you are not in the market for a pickup as a pull vehicle you will be very limited in your selection. Currently pulling a 5th wheel with a 3/4 ton diesel truck. Here is my suggestion that might save you from making a mistake. Try to rent a class c motorhome to try camping in the 25 foot range from a dealer willing to instruct you in its use. About like driving a deuce and a quarter. You can drive it any where. You will meet some great people camping! Stay close at first and go while the tempature is nice. Airstreams are nice campers but notice and I think you will discover most are pulled by a truck.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
mainiac

Post by mainiac »

My great aunt and uncle had an Airstream that they pulled across the country from Palm Springs to Maine (at least 4 times) with diversions to Florida and other spots across the country. It was beautiful!!
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

How much does a Roadtrek cost?

Thinking wildly, it would be an excellent solution for when you take a job away from home and you don't want to pay for a hotel room.
The only problem is that you'd need a hook-up for the toilet and shower.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Airstreams are nice, I've always liked them. You don't see too many around anymore. By golly, I didn't know they were still made: <http://www.airstream.com>

You might come to enjoy the smaller space, especially if if your set up to utilize some extended porch space when parked. Certainly the 20 foot would be more economical and easier to get around and to more interesting places. It looks like the main difference when you get up past 25 is more space around the bed, and then increasing space around everything else.

Maybe start out with a couple weekenders, at least to see how to get by without the extra junk a dealer will try and foist on you. And then just follow the safe driving tips like keeping the speed down, keeping a nice space cushion all around, avoiding the games some drivers will try to play, and just plain relax and enjoy.

Sounds like a great plan! Happy Trails -- Tet.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

Camper/travelers?
Depreciating POS.
What should I be looking at? What do I need to consider?
Staying at a hotel. You can't drive to Hawaii.
cldrunner

Post by cldrunner »

imagardener wrote:Follow your dream.

5 years ago we bought a 22' conversion van (I had to learn what all the different types of RV's were called). It has been the most fun vehicle ever. Tomorrow we leave for an 8 week trip to the Southwest: Yellowstone, Utah national parks that we missed on the last trip (Zion, Capitol Reef, Bryce), Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon in AZ. Stops in Nashville and St. Louis on the way out and Texas on the way back. It's a big, beautiful country.

We get up close and personal with near wilderness while having a comfortable bed and eating healthy food. We are so active all day long that we come home 8-10 lbs. less body weight.

How large are your dogs? And will you be taking them in your truck during the day? They will be with you in whatever vehicle you decide on because you won't be leaving them in the Airstream unless you're there too. If I travelled alone I'd like a dog along too but I'd do it in our Roadtrek van.

We didn't know anything about RV's before buying, just rented a horrible one locally and later spent many hours crawling through every model on a dealers lot. This one had the best bed and overall felt right.

I'm also leaving tomorrow on a 2 week RV trip. Decided to rent RV out of Salt Lake City then Yellowstone,Grand Tetons,Zion,Bryce, Arches NP.

I decided that renting was better for us as we think we would only use an RV about 2 weeks out of the year for this type of vacation. Renting a 27' Class C from an outfit that only rents 2011 and 2012's with fairly low millage compared to the chain RV rental companies.

We have done the hotel thing but it gets a little tiresome checking in and out of 10-12 hotels or cabins in a two week stretch. On the other side Tent camping is not really for us. We also almost rented a campervan but decided the Class C was more for us. We do not have vehicles that can tow a trailer.
mhc

Post by mhc »

RetiredJG,

if you take off on the road for a year or two, I hope you stay connected so that you can continue to give excellent advise on this forum. :beer
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
madef88

Post by madef88 »

mhc wrote:RetiredJG,

if you take off on the road for a year or two, I hope you stay connected so that you can continue to give excellent advise on this forum. :beer
Ditto that
willmac

Post by willmac »

Just a couple of thoughts... (have owned three different travel trailers, they have fit our needs)

I would break RVing into 2 parts, the "lifestyle" and the RV. I wanted to try the lifestyle first, before making a large commitment. Once we decided that we liked "camping" (it's not really camping with cable TV, wifi, etc.), then we were willing to purchase a nice (to us) RV.

Pop-ups are the least expensive (can be pulled with many vehicles), then small towables (travel trailers and 5th wheels, they can be pulled with 1/2 ton trucks or SUVs), then large 5th wheels, then motor homes. Some families "need" 30-40 foot RVs even for week trips, we enjoyed a 24 foot travel trailer to Washington State, Vermont, Florida Keys, and a couple of 3 month winters in Az. We're all different.

I also really wanted an Airstream, and went to the Ohio factory twice to watch them built. Years ago their aluminum structure was much better than other trailers. My opinion is that newer designs can be just as good, depending on the manufacturer. Airstreams are much more costly than other excellent travel trailers, because of their expensive design.

We bought a different brand because we could get a washer and dryer and a much larger slide out compared to the Airstream. As was said, you need to go to RV shows and shop dealers, what works for me might not work for you.

I'd consider renting something your vehicle can pull (even if it's just a pop-up) or renting a small motor home. See if you enjoy the good parts as well as the bad (dumping the black tank, hooking up in the rain), etc.

The Trailer Life mag is excellent, there is also one for Motor Homes.

We have enjoyed RVing for 20 years... enjoy your investigation...
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You are correct that waiting is not the best option.

You have to decide if you want to live in the RV, as in sell your house, or lease it for a couple of years. You would probably want a different RV to live in than to make trips (even up to, say, 6 weeks) in. You will get different suggestions depending on which route you choose to take.

Understand that you're going to need a full size truck/suv to tow an airstream. Some people do tow the very smallest single-axle models with less, but it also depends where and how much you'll be towing. The airstream aero will help at speed, but for decent economy when towing you're probably looking at a $40k+ diesel truck (depending on age, if you buy used.) Or you can spend less on a gas truck (or large SUV), but get somewhat less mileage when towing. The difference becomes greater in proportion to aero and weight.

I also towed when I was younger, including a boat, popup, and also a 20ft. hardside travel trailer. I towed those with a full-sized passenger car, which, although equipped and rated to tow the load, was only marginally up to the task. Then I towed a 24ft (20ft. "box") hardside "lite" (4500lbs loaded) travel trailer with a full-sized truck when I was older. The truck was vastly superior, although the longer (extended cab) wheelbase had its pros and cons. Although rated for twice the towing capacity and having the largest available non-diesel motor, the truck still struggled at elevation. It was a moderately aerodynamic conventional (aluminum framed) trailer, and averaged about 11mpg towing at 55-60mph (less at elevation.) Notably it was only 7.5ft wide, narrower than a classic airstream or many other RVs. It was more than adequate sized for one person to travel in for up to a month or more at a time. Airstreams have less storage per foot than conventional trailers, so you have to keep that in mind. Also, your comfort in various RVs will vary with the size of your body. Small people have a big advantage in the RV world.

The economics of using RVs for extensive travel are fundamentally different with gas at $3-4 or more than they were with gas at $1. However, motels are not entirely an alternative, particularly for travel in the west. The RV lifestyle is just different, and can't be duplicated in motels.

There are pros and cons to every RV type. More so than with a car or truck, no matter which one you have, you'll probably wish you had something different, which is partly what keeps the industry in business.

As you get older, you may become less comfortable with towing, or driving, a large RV. I have, but many others don't feel that way.

Paul
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Thanks for the comments so far.

As you can see, I'm all over the place on what I want. Roadtrek (van) vs travel trailer, go for a year vs maybe not. I sure would not want to buy an Airstream and only use it a couple of weeks a year. I can't afford that. But if I go for a year or two, I want something I really like and enjoy pulling, not something that is "adequate".

I'd be interested in hearing about specific brands that people might think are quality or not-so-good-quality. Especially in the lighter weight category. I doubt I'd buy something any bigger than a V8 SUV - like a Tahoe or something in that range - to pull it.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

Do you have the space to store a trailer or RV on your property?

Around this part of Central Texas a lot of people live on the edge of town on larger lots so they can install a shade canopy and store their RV or trailer on their property. Otherwise you are going to be paying storage fees at an RV storage place and it will be much less convenient to pack/unpack and maintain the beast when you are at home.

I bought the largest available pop-up camper used on Craigs List last summer because it was the largest camping trailer I could still store on the cement pad beside my house and the largest trailer I could still two with my toyota minivan. Anything 3 ft longer or 500 llbs heavier would have required (1) paying for offsite storage and, (2) buying a larger tow vehicle.

That said, I have a retired uncle who is about the most serious RV person you'll ever meet. After going through about every option he finally settled on a 5th wheel towed by a diesel pickup. Says the extra ease in towing a 5th wheel in adverse wind and highway conditions is worth it over a traditional trailer like an Airstream. In my mind, the main argument in favor of a traditional trailer like an airstream is if you need to tow with an SUV and not a truck. If, for example, you have a larger family and need the Expedition or Yukon to pack them all in.

Also, look hard at what you actually need with you when traveling. If you are truly traveling with it and not doing the sunbird game (where you drive to Texas for Arizona for 6 months of winter living in a park with the RV) then you may not need something so big. There is virtue in living small when you travel. Forces you to get out and actually experience the locations you are traveling to as opposed to sitting on the recliner in the RV watching TV on the big flat screen.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

cldrunner wrote:Renting a 27' Class C from an outfit that only rents 2011 and 2012's with fairly low millage compared to the chain RV rental companies.
I'm not too far from SLC. Would you be willing to share a link or the company name?
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

madef88 and mhc, thanks for the kind words. :D

I would imagine I'd stay on the forum, but you never know. Sometimes I just get "done" and go on to new adventures!
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

By the way....I would suggest renting or borrowing some sort of trailer or RV and do some weekend trips to big destinations that have lots of RVs like a big KOA. Then walk around and interview the other campers there about their rigs and their advice. You will find a phenomenal amount of collected wisdom in the typical RV campground and most people are eager to share their experiences and advice and will invite you in to see their custom modifications and features. You can talk to the airstream, guys, the 5th wheel guys, and the big Class A guys. Generally speaking you won't meet a friendlier bunch.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

By the way, you can tow an airstream with a smaller vehicle. This is probably pushing the limit though....or way past it

http://www.airforums.com/forums/blogs/m ... iler-1462/
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Hi,
I find this conversation interesting because I have given some thought to doing the same thing. I wonder if one of these would work: http://casitatraveltrailers.com/
Best Wishes, | Joe
WhiskeyJ

Post by WhiskeyJ »

I bought a new 23ft airstream a few years ago when I was single. I'm now thinking about selling it because when I do the math on the opportunity cost of a depreciating asset worth $40k, I figure it's costing me about $3-4k per year. Now with 2 young kids and both of us working it doesn't get a lot of use. Hoping to make up for it as the kids get older. Check out the website http://www.Airforums.com.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

retiredjg wrote: I'd be interested in hearing about specific brands that people might think are quality or not-so-good-quality. Especially in the lighter weight category. I doubt I'd buy something any bigger than a V8 SUV - like a Tahoe or something in that range - to pull it.
First thing fisrt, most people pull a bigger trailer than their truck can handle. If you want to stay in that Tahoe size I would keep the trailer under 20' max 22'. Wheel base/class/power is king with towing travel trailers.

We have a small Jay-co travel trailer (TT) 20', with a family of 4. We pull it with a quad cab 1/2ton chevy truck and it works well. Before the truck became my wifes daliy driver (10miles/day) we had a 3/4 ton quad cab chevy truck, great truck, in some ways I wish we still had it, its all give and take. The 3/4 ton pulled the camper 5 times better but the 1/2 ton for family trips and the wifes comute is much more tame and easy to drive + its easier to park in the garage etc. Being we only take the camper out 2-3times a year (short trips) the 1/2 ton is fine. If we were going to be pulling accross the country I would not enjoy the 1/2 ton.

I would not get any tow vehicle (TV) without a 6 speed tranny, so very nice. A factory brake controller is a nice touch as well.

You will find when you really start looking at RV's/campers they all have the same crap in them, the fridge/water heater/windows/doors/fans/water pumps/heaters/awnings/AC/axels/brakes/bearings/roofs etc all come from the same place for the most part. Some manufactures put them togather better than others and you can tell by the fit and finish. Every body wants a large lite TT, in order to do that they just become cheaply made really. In the case of RV's more so than with cars is to select a good honest dealer thats close to your home more than the make of the TT.

We have had 2 Jay-co's and the company has been great to us, I would buy a third if we were looking.

If going to stay extended amount of time in the RV get one with a slide and at minimum 40 gallon black and grey tanks.

Spend some time on this fourm http://www.rv.net/FORUM/ a great group of people just like here and very helpful.

Have fun and enjoy
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

JMacDonald wrote:Hi,
I find this conversation interesting because I have given some thought to doing the same thing. I wonder if one of these would work: http://casitatraveltrailers.com/
I've wondered the same thing. Not for a year, probably. But if I got something like this, I could tow it with my current vehicle and go out for a month or two and see if I like the lifestyle.

Unfortunately, there is no dealer in my state and I've not seen any on the internet for sale. So I've sort of given up the idea since I can't even manage to see one.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

texasdiver wrote:Do you have the space to store a trailer or RV on your property?
No. This could be an issue. Paying the extra storage and insurance are other factors to consider. I could park it in front of my home long enough to pack, but no long term storage at my place.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

retiredjg wrote:
I've wondered the same thing. Not for a year, probably. But if I got something like this, I could tow it with my current vehicle and go out for a month or two and see if I like the lifestyle.

Unfortunately, there is no dealer in my state and I've not seen any on the internet for sale. So I've sort of given up the idea since I can't even manage to see one.
Hi,
Actually, it may be possible to see one if you want to go to the trouble: http://casitatraveltrailers.com/neighborhood.html
If you want to see a Casita Travel Trailer in your area, just contact us and we’ll find some nearby customers who love their Casitas.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

JMacDonald wrote:Actually, it may be possible to see one if you want to go to the trouble: http://casitatraveltrailers.com/neighborhood.html

Thanks!
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Your idea to test the lifestyle is wise. Rent smaller ones first, driving them to local places using your existing vehicle. Yes, you will spend a little to get it rigged for that. Spending is part of learning what you like. With more experience, you could drive directly to an interesting region, then rent one similar to what you had been practicing with near your home.

Casitas and Little Guys are popular with my friends who spend a lot of time camping in the woods. Those friends are not interested in RV parks, they just like the convenience of the small RV for their dry camping. The Little Guys come in various widths to match your vehicle.

Some regions may have more inventory than others. I would think that hard hit states in the Southwest would have lots of used ones somewhere, either dealers, the RV version of car trader magazine (now online), or Craigslist. Many Phoenix area residents used RVs on weekends to escape the summer heat by travelling for a few hours to the mountains. Expect used ones to need new seals and gaskets that deteriorate from sitting too long.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

retiredjg wrote:

The chief limitation of most egg trailers (Casita, Scamp, etc.) is the lack of headroom compared to an airstream or most conventionally-shaped trailers (typically 6'6" or 6'7".) That's why I mentioned the advantage of being a small person. You might also consider Escape in the egg category.

For "odd" RV manufacturers, many will arrange for you to visit with an existing customer to see the product, and/or you can visit the factory. Compared to RVing, visiting the factory is a trivial expense.

Having had experience with this both ways, you need to be able keep the RV at home permanently. It's a completely different experience than having it at a storage facility. And especially if you live in a hostile climate (heat is more hostile than cold for an RV), you really want it covered if you want it to last very long.

Unfortunately, it's not always possible to rent an RV similar to one you might want. And the experience is really very different once you've customized an RV to your tastes and have all the equipment you want. RVing is somewhat of an evolutionary process.

Paul
imagardener

Post by imagardener »

If you are near SLC and want to try out a Sprinter they call Two4theroad (similar to Roadtrek but by a different company) check out this outfit located in Las Vegas NV (they also have another location near Yellowstone).
http://www.campervannorthamerica.com/rates.shtml

I have no personal knowledge of them but it is rare to find a Sprinter for rent. They also sell their used fleet, see clickable link on the bottom left of the linked page: CamperVan Liquidation sale. $55k is a bargain if you've looked at used prices, new ones are close to $100k. They went up a lot in price since we bought ours 5 years ago.

The Edelweiss vans look cute but don't have shower/toilet or kitchen, just sleeping spaces.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

We have been looking at 27' Airstreams, fwiw we both like the front bed model. Currently have a smaller 20' box style trailer that's too small for long multi month trips, at least to us.. After doing a good deal of research on properly sized tow vehicles we bought a 2012 Ford F150 Ecoboost. I get between 9.5 and 11.5 mpg towing the trailer depending on how slow you can drive, 15.5 commuting, and 19 highway. A 3/4 ton diesel would have been a bit better but I couldn't justify the extra $10k.

Used
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/

3-4k depreciation for the trailer sounds about right, RV'ing is not a cheap pastime, wait till you see the prices just to rent an RV.
Regards | Bob
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

retiredjg wrote:Unfortunately, there is no dealer in my state and I've not seen any on the internet for sale. So I've sort of given up the idea since I can't even manage to see one.
There are no dealers. New ones are only sold at the factory in Texas. Used ones are listed and sold very quickly at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/, http://www.casitaclub.com/forums/index.php, and http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/. We owned a 17' Casita for three years, and a 13' Scamp for four years, traveling some 40,000 miles in them all over the west. We looked at ones locally owned via the referral program before ordering new from the factories. Had a great time but the DW determined the Casita had just gotten a little too small last year so we sold it (12 calls. sold in 3 days). We are now pondering how we want to travel in the future, and may just rent a Class C.

One interesting phenomena I noticed hanging out in the various forums for years, was that there were people who joined the forums, were very enthusiastic about the trailers, ended up buying one, and then sold it within months. I even met a woman that bought hers used from a buyer who was heading home from just buying it at the factory!

Granted, these trailers are very small and one must be prepared for that, but it seems the reality just wasn't up to the dream. So I would also suggest that those interesting in RVing try to rent a class C and spend a week or two doing some traveling and camping and see how you're going to like it. I would also suggest always buying used if you can, because the depreciation (except in the Scamp and Casita) can be significant.

I've only been in a couple of hotels in my life that had better views than very many of the camping sites we stayed at, and our beds had no bed bugs!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

Check out RV.ORG. It is a Consumer Report RV Group who rates travel trailers and RVS. You have to join to get their information but it's not much. They rate the rigs on consumer feed back and testing. Gives you cost and value information. Rates the rigs according how they should be used: cold weather, hot weather, all weather, full timing, part timing, weekender. Rates them on safety and quality, tow weight, etc. There is little to no government regulations in the camper RV world. There is a whole lot of unsafe and bad quality trailers and RVs out there. I started there to narrow down what I would even consider buying. Then I started looking.

I wanted a New Horizon 5th Wheel. You can only buy them from the manufacturer in Johnson City, KS or from a previous owner. Ratings and customer satisfaction very high. But, by we needed to buy a big diesel truck to pull it and we didn't want to put that much money into it, without knowing how much we'd like RV travel. We had a Class C Winnebego 20 plus years ago. Loved it when we could use it but were too busy to go much.

We bought a used Class A, Suncruiser made by Winnebego. Low milage. Stored indoor. Just starting to travel in it and love the life. Agree with other posts - buy used.

BED BUGS. My neighbors are 80 and 74. DH is homebound due to illness. DW takes two weekend trips a year to learn new Gourd Art techniques and to take a break and stays in nice motels. DW developed hives last March. Just found out their bedroom and sitting room were bed bug infested and the hives were bites. Beautiful home. Lovely neighborhood. Small rural, college town. Very stressful experience getting the home treated. I hate sleeping in motel or hotel beds.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

sscritic wrote:Get a friend and a bike....
Well, I have a friend and I have a bike, but I DON'T think I'll be trying that!

Nor will I be using a van, as shown in texasdiver's post.

:D :shock: :D
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Well, I've learned quite a bit reading these replies and I appreciate everyone's input, even if I have not specifically replied to your post. Thanks!

One thing that is interesting is the lack of people complaining or saying "don't buy _______ because _______". I gather most folks tend to be satisfied with what they buy (even if envious of something nicer).
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I have to admit to occasional size envy when we were in our 6.5'x14' Casita and looking at the folks in the big Class A's in adjacent spots dancing and walking about. Casitas are perfect for one person, but the utility drops off rapidly as the number of bodies increase!
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

There was a video somewhere on the web a cpl days ago about this custom Class A RV that cost $1.65M.
It seemed like a pretty nice bus.

Myself, I'm looking at a 17' Casita until something changes my mind...
Attempted new signature...
nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 »

Retired Rving is really an enjoyable way to rest and recreate. Most folks that want to can afford it. A quick look at rvonline.com will show how many different options there are. From a million down to 10k and anything along the way. Depreciation is a concern for most bogleheads as they can't stand to watch something depreciate in their backyard. It does bother me but i am close to retiring and hope to use it much more Be sure to learn how to operate one. it really helps if you like to tinker around as there is always something to fix. Dumping the sewage is not pleasant but a managable chore. You wanted to hear the worst? That is about the worst part. Going home after a stay is also kind of a downer also. What you will enjoy is the people you will meet along the way.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

BigFoot48 wrote:Casitas are perfect for one person, but the utility drops off rapidly as the number of bodies increase!
I've wondered about 1 person and 2 medium sized dogs. It is amazing how much floor space (or bed space) a 35-40 lb dog can take up!
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

Depending on the Casita model you get, I think two dogs would fit but the walking area is very limited - basically 10' long (Liberty model in twin bed config) or less by 2' wide with another 4 sf by the door.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

BigFoot48 wrote:.... by 2' wide with another 4 sf by the door.
Oh dear. That would mean stepping over a dog about every other minute. Sounds like a really bad idea.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

Regarding Gas. We have a 34 ft, Class A Suncruiser. It's painful to fill it up. BUT, if you go and stay a while it's not all that much. Now, if you drive two hundred miles, stay a couple of days and take off again gas will be a lot more. We went to Big Bend, Texas, round trip it was 1,200 miles. We stayed two weeks and it cost about $2K. That was in January and gas was higher than now. If we'd stayed two weeks longer cost of the trip wouldn't have been much more. Edit: $2K total cost food, gas, entertainment, everything.

We have dirt bikes/street bikes we played around on. We met friends there who have horses and like to ride them there. They had a truck, so we had transportation. The things we like to do require a Jeep or 4-wheel drive. Another consideration on what you select.

We can boon dock but rather like the RV parks. Oh heck! We like all of it. My style of camping is a queen size bed, with my own bathroom and shower, little kitchenette, and WiFi. :-)

Oh! BTW. You need to consider the shower. Some of them are just too small if you're going to be living it very long. You can use the facilities at the RV park. My husband usually does that. I like my own. Good Sam's has a great book which rates the facilities at RV parks.

Regarding Dogs. Dogs take up a lot of space; even rather small dogs. Especially, if you stuck inside during a rain storm. :wink:

Have Fun!!
Last edited by SnapShots on Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Submitted for what it is worth.

I too always thought it would be cool to travel around in a shiny new Airstream, but no more.

I changed my mind after following the painful multi-year blog of a young lady's many (mis)adventures with her Airstream. The quality of the components and service performed on her brand new trailer were certainly not what I was expecting. (Made me believe that Airstream may be the Bose of the RV world... great advertising.)

Made me remember that saying about happy boat owners. The two happiest days are: (1) the day you buy it, and (2) the day you sell it.

From the Silver Snail blog:
"WHY AIRSTREAM DOES NOT DESERVE THE LOVE: Failures in my Late-model Airstream (2007 SAFARI SE 20')"
http://thesilversnail.com/18_jacksoncenter.html

YMMV.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

dratkinson wrote:Submitted for what it is worth.

I too always thought it would be cool to travel around in a shiny new Airstream, but no more.

I changed my mind after following the painful multi-year blog of a young lady's many (mis)adventures with her Airstream. The quality of the components and service performed on her brand new trailer were certainly not what I was expecting. (Made me believe that Airstream may be the Bose of the RV world... great advertising.)

Made me remember that saying about happy boat owners. The two happiest days are: (1) the day you buy it, and (2) the day you sell it.

From the Silver Snail blog:
"WHY AIRSTREAM DOES NOT DESERVE THE LOVE: Failures in my Late-model Airstream (2007 SAFARI SE 20')"
http://thesilversnail.com/18_jacksoncenter.html
YMMV.
Wow! I can see why it changed your mind. This lady has lost Airstream a lot of customers. They should had given her a new one and she would be singing their praises.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

In the days of the internet disappointing or cheating a customer can have significant repercussions. As a comparison to the 20' Safari, our 17' Casita cost $16,000 new out the door of the factory where we picked it up in Texas. None of its components failed in the nearly four years we owned it (okay, one blown tire - they upgraded tires two years after our year), and leaks are unheard of with the two-pieced molded fiberglass body.

What a disappointment to hear of the shoddy workmanship in her Air Stream, and treatment thereafter. Isolated case or systemic?
roymeo

Post by roymeo »

You could always just build your own Teardrop or other type of Tiny Travel Trailer.
My wife did.

http://www.tnttt.com/

roymeo
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Have you searched the internet for information on "RV full-timing"? Lots of information about what others consider to be good candidate RVs. I seem to remember there are books and magazines devoted to full-timing.

Before it closed down, there was an A-Liner RV trailer (popup A frame) dealer nearby. The largest (~13-feet box, 2000 lbs) contained a small toilet and shower combination. Seem to remember it was about $20K (then). Don't know anything about its durability, but found information that it may be more durable than the comparable Chalet RV trailer. I thought this might be a good short-term camper.

I remember I enjoyed reading about a retired guy who took his new A-Liner on a solitary Alaskan adventure. No dog.
http://www.bhoffcomp.com/alaska/

The Trailmanor RV trailer pops both up and out, extending its open length. A 19-feet model expanded to 26-feet for living and weight ~2700 lbs. They are advertised to towable by a 6-cyl vehicle. I thought this might be a good candidate for longer term living.

Don't know much more about either above RV. They are where I stopped looking after that bug bite me and the itch when away.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

dratkinson wrote:Have you searched the internet for information on "RV full-timing"?
That's an idea I had not thought of! Thanks.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I would be very cautious about buying a trailer if traveling alone. It's really tough to line up a trailer and attach it by yourself. It doesn't take much error to damage a bumper.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course