Setting up new computer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CTBob

Setting up new computer

Post by CTBob »

I bit the bullet and just bought a new Dell desktop with Windows 7 from Costco. I want it to have the same functionality as our old Gateway XP it's replacing, but I don't understand the order of doing things to make that happen.

When I turned it on, Dell did some stuff automatically, so I've already created System Recovery DVDs and created an account for myself. I need to create an account for my wife and get all our programs and data moved over and working under Win 7 rather than XP.

I understand I already have a Windows Firewall working and based on other threads I've seen on this board intend to install Microsoft Security Essentials (anti-virus) and Windows Defender (anti-spy). Costco sent me a free copy of Kaspersky Internet Security which I intend to NOT install, and Mcafee something or other keeps asking me to enable it. I keep saying no and at some point will need to figure out how to make it go away. It seems to me that I should set this security stuff up first so I don't get attacked while doing the other stuff. Can I do this before I set up my wife's account? Do I need to make Mcafee go away before I install the other security software?

Apparently there's something called Windows Easy Transfer that will copy over everything except programs. If I don't set up my wife's account fires, will it copy my stuff to my account and set up an account for my wife and copy her stuff to her account? If not, will it copy things properly if I do set up her account first?

Since Easy Transfer doesn't copy programs, should I reinstall the programs before I run it or after? Do I need to have the two accounts set up before I reinstall programs so the programs know they have to support two users?

I've got a key to enable Microsoft Office 2011. Do I create both account before I activate it?

I bought a copy of "Windows 7 Inside Out" which has lots of information, be not an order of doing things. It's thick enough that I bet there are lots of other questions I need to ask, but I think I'm done for now.

Thanks in advance for any help. I know this isn't a PC support site, but I tend to trust the advice that's posted here more than any other site.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

I understand I already have a Windows Firewall working and based on other threads I've seen on this board intend to install Microsoft Security Essentials (anti-virus) and Windows Defender (anti-spy). Costco sent me a free copy of Kaspersky Internet Security which I intend to NOT install, and Mcafee something or other keeps asking me to enable it. I keep saying no and at some point will need to figure out how to make it go away. It seems to me that I should set this security stuff up first so I don't get attacked while doing the other stuff. Can I do this before I set up my wife's account? Do I need to make Mcafee go away before I install the other security software?
Good calls -- Windows Firewall and Security Essentials are sufficient and free. You should be able to get rid of McAfee by going to Start, typing "uninstall program" and going into the Control Panel that shows up. (Get used to this paradigm of typing what you want to do into Start -- the search functionality is fantastic.) You do want to remove McAfee first, because two antivirus programs can slow things down horrendously, but the order shouldn't break anything either way.
Apparently there's something called Windows Easy Transfer that will copy over everything except programs. If I don't set up my wife's account fires, will it copy my stuff to my account and set up an account for my wife and copy her stuff to her account? If not, will it copy things properly if I do set up her account first?

Since Easy Transfer doesn't copy programs, should I reinstall the programs before I run it or after? Do I need to have the two accounts set up before I reinstall programs so the programs know they have to support two users?
Run Easy Transfer first. If you're connected over the network, it can copy settings without needing to shuttle a flash drive or such back and forth, but you'll want a flash drive to take Easy Transfer to the XP computer. Run Easy Transfer from the Win7 machine (Start, type "Easy Transfer"), and it will walk you through the steps, including telling you how to install Easy Transfer on the XP machine. When you're done, Easy Transfer will give you a list of the programs that were installed on your old computer, and will check them off as you install them -- it's handy for making sure you didn't miss anything.

Easy Transfer will also ask whether to create any accounts that aren't already there, or just ignore them. You can create your wife's account then.
I've got a key to enable Microsoft Office 2011. Do I create both account before I activate it?
Again, doesn't matter. This just activates Office for the computer -- each account can use it.
neo09

+1

Post by neo09 »

Easy Transfer is the best feature in Windows 7.

If your older computer is XP or Vista, download/install easy transfer program on those computers first, then run easy transfer and you'd be all set.
Topic Author
CTBob

Post by CTBob »

Thanks rchbish99 & neo09.

With your help I got the security stuff I didn't want uninstalled, the stuff I did want installed, and transferred the accounts and data from our old XP to the new Win 7. Now just have to reinstall some programs and install some peripherals. So far not nearly as bad a job as I'd feared.
rwwoods

Post by rwwoods »

Read this thread about getting rid of the junk programs.
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... highlight=
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

With easy transfer, does the older computer still have the data after the new computer has received everything?
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

With Windows7 you DO NOT run Windows Defender if you run Security Essentials.
FedGuy

Re: Setting up new computer

Post by FedGuy »

CTBob wrote:Costco sent me a free copy of Kaspersky Internet Security which I intend to NOT install
I've been told by a few sources--one of whom was even knowledgeable--that Kaspersky is the best anti-virus program out there.

Did they all lie to me?
deerhunter

Post by deerhunter »

Glad to hear about "Easy Transfer". Will make it easier when I finally get enough nerve to switch from my old XP computer to a new Windows 7.
Living off the land is a family tradition.
Sheepdog

Re: Setting up new computer

Post by Sheepdog »

FedGuy wrote:
CTBob wrote:Costco sent me a free copy of Kaspersky Internet Security which I intend to NOT install
I've been told by a few sources--one of whom was even knowledgeable--that Kaspersky is the best anti-virus program out there.

Did they all lie to me?
I have it and love it for security and lack of streaming ads
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
bobcat2

Enhancing Windows 7 Security for free

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi CTBob,

Here are some free things you can do to make your system more secure.

(1) Use Microsoft's EMET program.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544

For more info on EMET read the following.
http://securehomenetwork.blogspot.com/2 ... hines.html

and also

http://bulletproof-windows.blogspot.com/

(2) Replace your ISP DNS with Norton DNS.
http://nortondns.com/

(3) Use WinPatrol. You can download the free version from this page.
http://www.winpatrol.com/

(4) Use Secunia PSI.
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

(5) Don't turn UAC off. Instead set UAC as high as you can tolerate.

(6) Use MBSA from Microsoft.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/cc184924

(7) Innoculate your computer with the Panda anti auto-run vaccine.
http://research.pandasecurity.com/Panda ... n-Vaccine/

(8) Make a Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper DVD or USB stick.
http://connect.microsoft.com/systemsweeper

Here's more about the Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper.
http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2011 ... ystem.html

(9) The accounts you set up for yourself and your wife should be standard accounts and not administrative accounts. Do your day to day computing in your standard accounts and keep one administrative account for only those rare occasions when you actually need an administrative account.

(10) Go to Steve Gibson's website and run all of the six or so security check programs. Either Dell or MS may have set something at the factory that is a big security hole that can be easily closed. Steve's programs will check for the security holes and close them for you if his programs find any security no-no's.

Check under the tab - freeware/security.
http://www.grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

All ten of the above security enhancements are free and fairly straightforward to set up. You definitely don't have to be a computer geek to set up & use this stuff.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.
Topic Author
CTBob

Post by CTBob »

Thanks all - about half of old programs reinstalled now

rwwoods - I didn't have much junk to remove this time - thanks Costco

sheepdog - Easy Transfer just copies stuff to the new computer - nothing changes on the old

AlwaysaQ - you're right - Windows Defender's anti-spy is now part of Security Essentials

FedGuy/Sheepdog - The arguments about which anti-virus is best seem endless.

Deerhunter - Easy transfer moved my account's contents and set up an account for my wife and then moved her stuff too. The only unknown is that we had stuff in an XP shared account. It moved it somewhere into Win 7 but it didn't set up a shared account so I don't know where. I'll go looking for it one of these days.

bobcat2 - I'm amazed at your knowledge and appreciative of the time you took to tabulate your response, but hesitant to load in so many security programs. I can barely figure out what is wrong now when something doesn't work and I'm afraid with all those layers of security I'd never solve typical problems. (Yeah - I know - this will come back to bite me some day and we'll all say "he should have listened to bobcat2")
bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 »

Hi CTBob,

These are not security programs in the usual sense, but simply methods of making your PC more secure by layering security. If this seems overwhelming, I suggest starting by doing the following.

I would use EMET first. EMET is a way of configuring hardware security that is already built into Windows 7 but the default settings are far from optimal. In other words Microsoft has built hardware security into Windows 7 that offers a lot of protection and then set many of the default settings to off. Brilliant move Microsoft :!: To get around this nonsense Microsoft has not changed the Windows 7 default settings, but instead provides users with EMET, a free program you can download that makes it very easy to change the default settings of the hardware security to settings that are actually useful. :lol: For instance DEP can stop a lot of zero day attacks but the default setting only handles MS programs. DEP needs to be set to all programs to be really useful. SEHOP is another powerful hardware security measure for stopping zero day attacks. The Windows 7 default setting for SEHOP is off. How helpful. With EMET you can easily reset it to the more helpful setting of "on". In the following link MS shows users a more difficult way than EMET to enable SEHOP. This Rube Goldberg approach to enabling SEHOP may have been the motivation for developing EMET.:lol:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956607

Next I would use Norton DNS, which is not a program but rather requires only changing two numbers in your internet setup. This filters a lot of bad stuff out of your internet surfing and will not slow down your surfing. Norton shows you how to change these settings, but if you are worried about how to do this Norton provides a free program that changes the settings for you. And if you don't like Norton DNS the program can change the settings back to your previous settings.

Thirdly I would build a Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper DVD or USB stick and keep it in a safe place in case disaster strikes. This is easy to do and provides you with a bootable DVD or USB stick that can clean up malware infestation when the infestation is so bad you are having trouble booting into Windows. Don't laugh. :D I've had friends and relatives come to me with computers this badly infected. This is also easy to update with new malware definitions so you don't have to burn a new DVD every time you need to use this.

The Steve Gibson programs simply check to see if you have security holes in your PC setup that a cracker could drive a truck through. These are tiny programs from Gibson that take only a few seconds to run. However, some of these security holes may be on your PC because of silly default settings from the factory.

Secunia PSI is a program that checks to see if there are programs on your PC that need security updates such as needed security updates for Abobe Reader and Flash, Java, browsers, etc. If it finds programs that require security updates, it helps you locate and install the updates.

Microsoft has built UAC into Windows and it defaults to on. Just don't turn it off. Set your user accounts you actually use to standard rather than administrative- this too is very easily done.

Just doing the above makes a lot more difference to your PC security than picking one AV program that is slightly more effective than another AV program.

And the price is right for all this stuff. It's all free. :D

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.