Frequent Flyer Mistake

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Frequent Flyer Mistake

Post by LifeIsGood »

My wife has been trying to book a flight to France for next year. She was able to get an awards flight from Atlanta to Toulouse on Air France. She was so excited that there were seats open so she immediately transferred 125,000 points from AmEx Membership Rewards to Air France. While booking the reservation, she was informed that there were $587 in taxes and fuel surcharges per ticket.
She was a bit taken back by this disclosure. The reservation is on hold for a couple of days while we sort this out. We have no more awards miles available and can't seem to find a way to transfer these Air France miles to another airline.
If anyone has any suggestions, we'd be very grateful.
Sidney

Post by Sidney »

isn't AF part of one of the alliances like One-World or something? I thought miles could be used within the network of the allied airlines. With all the mergers etc, I've lost track of who is connected to whom.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.
richard

Post by richard »

Many airlines charge substantial taxes and fuel surcharges on flights outside the US.

Air France is part of Star Team. As Sidney suggests, you might be able to find flights on one of the member airlines, such as Delta or Alitalia. http://www.skyteam.com/en/

You might try the AF or star team forum on flyertalk.com.
danwalk

Post by danwalk »

You might also talk to AmEx Membership Rewards directly. Their customer service tends to be rather good and you just may have some luck in moving the miles back from Air France if you need to. Just an idea...
Image | "Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy."—Jack Bogle
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

you're governed by Air France's award program rules, and they charge taxes. By the way AF is part of Sky Team, not "Star Team" and not Star Alliance. Your best bet is to ask AMEX MR about getting the miles back from Air France, but I have no idea if that will succeed.

The irony - if you want to know - is that since AF is part of Sky Team, it is possible that the exact same award inventory is available through any number of other ST carriers, in particular Delta - and DL would not charge $586 for an award ticket using Sky Miles from ATL to TLS. DL does charge a lot of taxes for tickets originating in Europe, but not for tickets originating in the US.
Mian

Post by Mian »

The irony - if you want to know - is that since AF is part of Sky Team, it is possible that the exact same award inventory is available through any number of other ST carriers, in particular Delta - and DL would not charge $586 for an award ticket using Sky Miles from ATL to TLS. DL does charge a lot of taxes for tickets originating in Europe, but not for tickets originating in the US.
Not sure if you'll find the same inventory going through Delta, despite the Sky Team Alliance affiliation.

I suggest you go to Flyertalk.com and post your question there: no better site exists when it comes to FF questions IMO.
og15F1

Post by og15F1 »

Moreover, on these flights, Delta would probably code share with Air France so there's a solid chance you would end up on the exact same flight #
Langkawi

Post by Langkawi »

og15F1 wrote:Moreover, on these flights, Delta would probably code share with Air France so there's a solid chance you would end up on the exact same flight #
Not on the ATL-CDG leg where it's possible to fly on DL metal. Of course, the CDG-TLS leg will need to be on AF metal.
bhoy

Post by bhoy »

Was the 125k miles for a first class ticket? If not, the fees aren't really worth it, but if it is for first class, not a bad use of reward miles, as the out of pocket cost for first class would be a lot higher.
expat

Post by expat »

Yes, you have to pay for taxes in the Air France program and there is no way (so they say) to transfer your miles back to Amex.

However, 2 round trip tickets to France (including an internal domestic flight to Toulouse) in Summer for $1,174 does seem like a good deal - compared to the normal fares.
archbish99

Post by archbish99 »

We paid about $550 in taxes/fees on top of 110k miles for two economy class tickets to France last year through Continental. For two economy tickets, or first-class, that sounds about right. If it's a single economy ticket, go in swinging. :-)

Taxes in France, particularly CDG, are ridiculous. I loved the "Passenger Solidarity Fee." What if I don't want any solidarity???
Topic Author
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

bhoy wrote:Was the 125k miles for a first class ticket? If not, the fees aren't really worth it, but if it is for first class, not a bad use of reward miles, as the out of pocket cost for first class would be a lot higher.
The cost was 63K miles per ticket for economy premier +the cash fees.