Boglehead Beer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Thetightfist

Boglehead Beer

Post by Thetightfist »

What is a Boglehead beer? It should have good taste but it should be reasonable in cost, right?

What is the beer of choice for the Boglehead? Also, what is the beer of choice when splurging?

:lol:
YoungLion

Post by YoungLion »

I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

My personal top secret two beers:

* Yuengling - light, tasty, often the cheapest beer in the store. Not a lot to it, but an unoffensive refreshing summer brew. Go figure.

* Killian's Red - Often belittled just for being a Coors product, actually has good flavor, and again -- readily available and cheap.
dkdoy

Post by dkdoy »

Agree about Ninkasi, very good. However, my favorite is Dogfish head 90 min IPA.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
billern

Post by billern »

I buy good beer. Mostly small brewery beers from California (where I live). When I go to the store, I see which of my favorites beers are on sale and I stock up. At any given point I have 12 to 24 beers waiting to go into the fridge.

If I don't buy when on sale, most of the beer I drink is $8-10 on sale for a 6 pack. On sale, most of the time what I like is $6-7.

If figure, I'm going to drink alcohol, I might as well drink something I'm going to appreciate.
DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

dkdoy wrote:Agree about Ninkasi, very good. However, my favorite is Dogfish head 90 min IPA.
$11 a four pack?

http://www.thewinestop.com/dogfish-head ... inestop_en
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

Are you looking for a good value beer?
YoungLion

Post by YoungLion »

DRiP Guy wrote:
YoungLion wrote:I drink Ninkasi Total Domination IPA. One on Friday night and one on Saturday night. I don't drink during the work week.

$5.19/single 22 oz beer?

:shock:

http://www.northwestliquidgold.com/prod ... -22oz.html#
About $3.99/bottle in the store . . . $38 for 12 in the local Costco. Not real Boglehead, but I don't drink that much and don't mind shelling out $6.33 a week for something I enjoy. Now if I could only find a $5000 watch . . .
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

DRiP Guy wrote:
dkdoy wrote:Agree about Ninkasi, very good. However, my favorite is Dogfish head 90 min IPA.
$11 a four pack?

http://www.thewinestop.com/dogfish-head ... inestop_en
Look at some of the other leading brewers like Russian River or Founders - $11 is a fair price for the 90 min IPA. Any Dogfish Head brews are good with me. I also like some Ommegang brews like the Three Philosophers Quadrupel. It has a somewhat better price point at ~$9 for a 24oz.

Beer is one thing I don't skimp on, but I would agree with your earlier comment that one of the best value beers is Yuengling.

Edit: My most recent pink up was the Bear Republic brewing companies Racer 5 IPA. Brewed in Cali all year round - at $9 for a 6-pack and 7% ABV it's a great value, IMHO. It's IBU is ~75, which is pretty inline with my tastes considering my #1 is Dogfish Head's 60 IPA, which ironically has a ~60 IBU.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/61 ... =7&start=0
Last edited by XtremeSki2001 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

Pabst Blue Ribbon at home (I'm obviously not a beer connoisseur), Yuengling when I go out.

When I travel to Germany, it's whatever brand of Weiss bier they have in the area.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Beer, coffee, and wine (to a lesser extent, IMO) are not things to go all cheap-o with.

My beers:

Bass
Blue Moon or Leinenkugel wheat offerings
Sapporo
Pilsner Urquell
Shiner!

Have to agree with Yeungling, too. Comes in cans for poolside but better in glass!
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Visiting a friend in Hawaii in a week (a friend indeed!). Any beers there I shouldn't miss?
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You should try the Dogfish Head 120 min IPA, if you can find it. I think Dogfish Head is getting a bit too popular and dropping in quality, as I haven't been impressed with their latest stuff. The pumpkin ale was a disappointment.

Try Old Dominion or Weyerbacher (enable browser cookies). I really like any beer from Weyerbacher.

I would agree that Yuengling (enable browser cookies) is a good "Boglehead" beer. It's inexpensive, but not poor quality, and you won't be disappointed. Good value. As the oldest brewery in the US, it's also got a proven track record. They're only 75 miles from Vanguard.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

woof755 wrote:Visiting a friend in Hawaii in a week (a friend indeed!). Any beers there I shouldn't miss?
Kona Brewing company (on the Big Island) distributes throughout Hawaii. Their Fire Rock Pale Ale is quite delicious - it's light and not too bitter, but still maintains a decent ABV at 5.9%.

Seeing that you like Yeungling (even though it's a lager) chances are you will like Kona's Fire Rock.

When you hit up the ABC store or wherever you get your beer - look out for Deschutes Brewery six packs. I found a few places (actually some in Kauai) that carried this beer (brewed in Oregon) and managed to pick up their Inversion IPA. It will be quite different than the beers you like, but Beeradvocate gives Deschutes pretty good ratings.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

LadyGeek wrote:They're only 75 miles from Vanguard.
I think this pretty much cinches the "Boglehead Beer" winner!
tj218

Post by tj218 »

1. Belhaven Scottish Ale
2. Guinness
3. Paulner Oktoberfest

Life's too short to save a buck on crappy beer.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
woof755 wrote:Visiting a friend in Hawaii in a week (a friend indeed!). Any beers there I shouldn't miss?
Kona Brewing company (on the Big Island) distributes throughout Hawaii. Their Fire Rock Pale Ale is quite delicious - it's light and not too bitter, but still maintains a decent ABV at 5.9%.

Seeing that you like Yeungling (even though it's a lager) chances are you will like Kona's Fire Rock.

When you hit up the ABC store or wherever you get your beer - look out for Deschutes Brewery six packs. I found a few places (actually some in Kauai) that carried this beer (brewed in Oregon) and managed to pick up their Inversion IPA. It will be quite different than the beers you like, but Beeradvocate gives Deschutes pretty good ratings.
Thanks! Great tips! I generally find a way to like almost any beer that finds its way into a frosty mug and my grubby mitts. (almost) I'm sure I'll enjoy Fire Rock!
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

LadyGeek wrote:
You should try the Dogfish Head 120 min IPA, if you can find it. I think Dogfish Head is getting a bit too popular and dropping in quality, as I haven't been impressed with their latest stuff. The pumpkin ale was a disappointment.
I loved their pumpkin ale and haven't noticed a drop in quality - sorry you had a bad experience.

120 min IPA is only made three times a year - it will be for sale in May, September and December of this year.
Keim

Post by Keim »

Many Bogleheads are DIY investors. I'll suggest homebrew.

As a homebrewer:
1. I always try to have a large selection of different styles available-I emulate the market.
2. My beer is at least as good as the professionals, and it costs less-5 gallons of quality homebrew starts at $30.
3. I pay attention to my pipeline, making sure to make more if I am low, or to brew something new if I need to diversify.
4. Most people don't learn how, so they are very impressed with the results of my efforts.

Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Keim wrote:Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
How did you learn?
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Any beer made in Shiner Texas.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

If you ask some of the critics on the recent car threads, Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best. Preferably 5-year old cans obtained at a salvage sale after the local beer store burned to the ground.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Keim wrote:Many Bogleheads are DIY investors. I'll suggest homebrew.
As a homebrewer:
3. I pay attention to my pipeline, making sure to make more if I am low, or to brew something new if I need to diversify.

...Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
According to #3, you are constantly rebalancing.

Indexing? For beer, searching for alpha puts active management in an entirely different perspective.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jake46

Post by Jake46 »

+1 for Shiner, especially Bock.
Keim

Post by Keim »

LadyGeek wrote:
Keim wrote:Many Bogleheads are DIY investors. I'll suggest homebrew.
As a homebrewer:

...Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
According to #3, you are constantly rebalancing.

Indexing? For beer, searching for alpha puts active management in an entirely different perspective.
Not really. Once I was properly diversified, I found I needed to "rebalance" about once every six months.

5 gallons=approx. 50 12 oz bottles. That lasts a while, esp. once you've brewed a few different styles.
Last edited by Keim on Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keim

Post by Keim »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
Keim wrote:Homebrewing: Indexing for beer snobs. 8)
How did you learn?
I read a book by the John Bogle of homebrewing, Charlie Pappazian.

The Complete Joy of Homebrewing.
mortal

Post by mortal »

Steelersfan wrote:Pabst Blue Ribbon at home (I'm obviously not a beer connoisseur), Yuengling when I go out.

When I travel to Germany, it's whatever brand of Weiss bier they have in the area.
+1
If you ask some of the critics on the recent car threads, Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best. Preferably 5-year old cans obtained at a salvage sale after the local beer store burned to the ground.

I love PBR. Not only did it see my grandpa and uncles through 3 wars, it's actually not half bad and less than 8 bucks a 12 pack :wink:

I do buy yingling now and then for variety, or if PBR isn't available.

Oh, and I absolutely dont touch Natty or 'the Beast'. I *do* have standards you know. :roll:
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

I agree with others on the Yuengling... great beer that isn't too expensive.
mclovin

Post by mclovin »

Cherokee8215 wrote:If you ask some of the critics on the recent car threads, Natural Light or Milwaukee's Best.
I drink Natty for the taste, not the cost. When it is really hot and you want to go tailgate or tube a river it hits the spot.
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

A mixture of everything in their market weights? Say 22% Budweiser, 7% Sam Adams, 3% Molson, 1% Guinness, etc...

:roll:

I personally would recommend a tilt, to take advantage of the DmL (dark minus light) premium.

Brad
Last edited by baw703916 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
Keim

Post by Keim »

baw703916 wrote:A mixture of everything in their market weights? Say 22% Budweiser, 7% Sam Adams, 3% Molson, 1% Guinness, etc...

Brad
I'm a slice and dicer. I have a small beer cap value tilt.
Beantown85

Post by Beantown85 »

My go-to is Sam Adams.

Can't go wrong with Guiness though. Shiner Bock is great too.
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

Keim wrote:
baw703916 wrote:A mixture of everything in their market weights? Say 22% Budweiser, 7% Sam Adams, 3% Molson, 1% Guinness, etc...

Brad
That sounds like a good allocation.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

A tasty micro brew out of Ft. Collins, CO...Odell Brewing CO. Another good CO brew but with a bigger audience is Fat Tire. On a hot summer day I go with something a bit lighter such as Bud Lt.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Good beer and reasonably priced often do not go hand in hand. If I had to pick a nationally-distributed beer, it would be Sam Adams Noble Pils (Boston Lager would be a close second). I prefer micro brews myself. Most anything from Dogfish Head, Sweetwater, Fat Tire, or Left Hand would get my vote.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Keim wrote:I read a book by the John Bogle of homebrewing, Charlie Pappazian.

Not only read it, but it's bookmarked with numerous recipes that we've tried. Tilt whatever way you want.

Try the Cherry Fever Stout, use 20 oz. of dried cherries if you can't get fresh ones.

(Charlie Papazian.)
Last edited by LadyGeek on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

yukonjack wrote:A tasty micro brew out of Ft. Collins, CO...Odell Brewing CO. Another good CO brew but with a bigger audience is Fat Tire. On a hot summer day I go with something a bit lighter such as Bud Lt.
I thought that Fat Tire was too thin, and I've sampled the "real" stuff in CO and also cloned the recipe as a home brew. I use Bud light cans as target practice for my air pistol. Full.
westcoastinvestor

Post by westcoastinvestor »

Henry Weinhards Blue Boar Pale Ale or Private Reserve.

Shiner Bock when I want to splurge.
paulsiu

Post by paulsiu »

Beers are really personal. I drink all kinds of beer and like the ones that have a bit of flavor. As a result, I tend to like either wheat beers or darker beers.

On the light side, Blue Moon is pretty good and easy to get.

When I lived out East, I always like Yuengling. It's one of the darker beers, but not to everyone's taste. Drink it cold since it gets skunky as it warms up. Now that I live out in the midwest I can't find it any more and people outside of the Eastern Seaboard thinks Yuengling is a Chinese beer. Currently, I drink Shiner Bock from Texas, which is kind of similar.

For foreign beers, I typically like Chimay. There's also a Candian beer that I order by accident I really like call La Fin Du Monde (end of the world).
fundtalker123

Post by fundtalker123 »

billern wrote:I buy good beer. Mostly small brewery beers from California (where I live). When I go to the store, I see which of my favorites beers are on sale and I stock up. At any given point I have 12 to 24 beers waiting to go into the fridge.
Hi, can I come over to your place to "discuss index funds"?
Keim

Post by Keim »

LadyGeek wrote:
Keim wrote:I read a book by the John Bogle of homebrewing, Charlie Pappazian.

Not only read it, but it's bookmarked with numerous recipes that we've tried. Tilt whatever way you want.

Try the Cherry Fever Stout, use 20 oz. of dried cherries if you can't get fresh ones.

(Charlie Papazian.)
I just made one of his Bitters: Ruddles Bitter. Next on the list is a recipe from that book for a raspberry stout.
fundtalker123

Post by fundtalker123 »

For simplicity, and to avoid having to choose which beer is best, I just drink a market cap weighted mixture of all beers, which I call "Boglehead Bock".

. . . Ah, yes, too late, already pointed out a short while ago.

In this case, I will stick with a 100% allocation to belgian.
Last edited by fundtalker123 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Keim

Post by Keim »

baw703916 wrote:
Keim wrote:

Brad
That sounds like a good allocation.
It gets a bit frothy at times, but I am comfortable with it.
:lol:
Brian2d

Post by Brian2d »

Being a Boglehead means I have more money to spend on beer.

But yeah, Ninkasi IPA (had it for the first time here on the east coast) and Dogfish Head 90 are both awesome. For Belgian style, anything by Allagash rocks.
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

So I'll take heat for this I know b/c this stuff isn't cheap but I'm just not the beer guy I was growing up (wine is the preference now) and if I get a beer for home now it's probably going to be Three Philosophers from Ommegang Brewery in Cooperstown. It's a "beer experience." Well, actually it's a mix of ale and lambic, but you know what I mean.

To make up for it I will say that my favorite beverage with caviar (that somebody else is buying) is Rolling Rock. Blows expensive Champagne and vodka right out of the water with those salty morsels!
Don't reach for yield.
jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 »

Corona is the one I keep going back to as long as I can get it reasonably priced at Costco. They had Samuel Adams at Costco yesterday so I picked up a case to try but all of our bridge night gang thought it was a bit too bitter.

Widmer Hefeweizen is decent and Deschutes makes a dark dessert beer with chocolate that is to die for but hard to find except at their brewery in Bend, OR.
Last edited by jeff1949 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepdog

How about Bogle wine?

Post by Sheepdog »

How about Bogle wine? Boglehead beer? Not really, because I prefer wine. I can buy Bogle wine locally. I can say that I am on the Bogle bandwagon, but not the winery's Bogle Bandwagon (a wine club). http://www.boglewinery.com/wineclub_info.php I see that Indiana residents aren't eligible. Your's might be.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

+1

Also like the 120 minute IPA and Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewery. None of those are cheap, but I have to do something with the thousand I save every year by not using a financial "advisor".
exigent

Post by exigent »

Another vote for Yuengling. And bonus points for its proximity to Vanguard. :)