Which Netbook - ASUS or Toshiba or ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
schwarm
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: Lower Alabama

Post by schwarm »

One piece of errata from my previous post... of course we are counting memory these days in GB and not MB. 1 GB ok for XP, probably 2 GB for Win7. Not so long ago putting a few more MB in was a big deal. :lol:
Valuethinker
Posts: 42635
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Post by Valuethinker »

Norbert Schlenker wrote:I've just glanced back over the thread and there's not much mention of weight. One big reason I went with the Asus 1101HA is that it weighs only 2 pounds 10 ounces with the battery in it (and the battery lasts 5-6 hours). Its power brick is also very light.

One of the big issues for me once you start adding features - big screens, big batteries, fast new CPUs - is the weight. I want a reasonably capable machine I can pop into a little backpack. Five or six pounds doesn't cut the mustard.

If you're looking at notebooks in person, say at a Best Buy, note that the store almost always pops out the battery and has it running on AC. There's a big weight difference. Make sure you'll be happy with it, battery included.
Very very good advice.

The difference with netbooks is much smaller between models. But the whole reason a Lenovo netbook can weigh 1.3kg is the small screen and battery pack. And to do that, it has to have a slower processor.

But for web surfing and word processing on the move, it really cannot be beat.
User avatar
KarlJ
Posts: 342
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:41 pm

Post by KarlJ »

Those considering a new netbook purchase might want to check the February 2010 Consumer Reports, with netbook ratings on page 41. The top 4 are:

#1 Samsung N120-12GBK
#2 Toshiba Mini NB205-N210
#3 Samsung N110-12PBK
#4 Asus Eee PC 1008HA

All of the top 4 have the Win XP OS.
Topic Author
Chuck T
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Lowcountry of South Carolina

Post by Chuck T »

Valuethinker wrote:
Norbert Schlenker wrote:I've just glanced back over the thread and there's not much mention of weight. One big reason I went with the Asus 1101HA is that it weighs only 2 pounds 10 ounces with the battery in it (and the battery lasts 5-6 hours). Its power brick is also very light.

One of the big issues for me once you start adding features - big screens, big batteries, fast new CPUs - is the weight. I want a reasonably capable machine I can pop into a little backpack. Five or six pounds doesn't cut the mustard.

If you're looking at notebooks in person, say at a Best Buy, note that the store almost always pops out the battery and has it running on AC. There's a big weight difference. Make sure you'll be happy with it, battery included.
Very very good advice.

The difference with netbooks is much smaller between models. But the whole reason a Lenovo netbook can weigh 1.3kg is the small screen and battery pack. And to do that, it has to have a slower processor.

But for web surfing and word processing on the move, it really cannot be beat.

Norbert and Livesoft raise good points. Unfortunately it is very difficult to find some of the models mentioned at local stores. I certainly don't want to buy something sight unseen.

As for Karls post it is disappointing that Feb 2010 Consumer Reports appearss to not have evaluated the latest Atom ION Netbooks. I don't get CR but will go to the library and read the article. Chuck
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
schwarm
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: Lower Alabama

Post by schwarm »

Comparison of netbook/small laptop weights:

ASUS 1005 (6 cell battery): 2.8 lbs (10" screen)
AS1410 (6 cell battery): 3.1 lbs (11.6" screen)
ASUS UL30 (8 cell battery): 3.7 lbs (13.3" screen)

The weight goes up for the CULV machines with screens bigger than 10", but none are near the 6 lbs typical for a 15" laptop.
Topic Author
Chuck T
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Lowcountry of South Carolina

Post by Chuck T »

schwarm wrote:Comparison of netbook/small laptop weights:

ASUS 1005 (6 cell battery): 2.8 lbs (10" screen)
AS1410 (6 cell battery): 3.1 lbs (11.6" screen)
ASUS UL30 (8 cell battery): 3.7 lbs (13.3" screen)

The weight goes up for the CULV machines with screens bigger than 10", but none are near the 6 lbs typical for a 15" laptop.

Thanks Schwarm for the comparison. I am off to the library now to read the article. I hope they have the Feb 2010 issue. Looking at the weight s of the acer 1410 and the asus 1005 there doesn;t seem to be much difference. 3.1 vs 2.8 Chuck
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
Topic Author
Chuck T
Posts: 1062
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Lowcountry of South Carolina

Post by Chuck T »

KarlJ wrote:Those considering a new netbook purchase might want to check the February 2010 Consumer Reports, with netbook ratings on page 41. The top 4 are:

#1 Samsung N120-12GBK
#2 Toshiba Mini NB205-N210
#3 Samsung N110-12PBK
#4 Asus Eee PC 1008HA

All of the top 4 have the Win XP OS.
Just finished reading the Consumer Reports Feb 2010 issue at the local library. It included ratings of Netbook Computers. What Karl provided above is the rankings for 10 inch Netbooks. The report also included ratings for 11-12 inch Netbook Computers. Their top rated models include:

#1 Acer Aspire Timeline AS1810TZ-4013 (Win 7) 9.75 hrs battery life 3.2 lbs
#2 Dell Inspiron 11z (Win 7) 3.25 hrs battery life 3.0 lbs
#3 Samsung NC20-21GBK (Win XP) 4.5 hrs battery life 3.3 lbs


The Acer Aspire Timeline had the highest score by far for any of the Netbooks included in the evaluation by Consumer Reports as well as being the highest priced model in the review at $550. In all fairness however it comes with 11.6 inch 1366X768 screen, 3 GB Ram, a 320 GB hard drive, Win 7 Home Premium and Wireless N w/gigabit support.

Whether or not one needs or wants those features is an individual choice. Chuck
Chuck | Past Performance Is Just That - bob | For info on the SC LowCountry & Savannah GA Area Bogleheads contact me at chucktanner46@gmail.com
schwarm
Posts: 710
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:17 pm
Location: Lower Alabama

Post by schwarm »

Chuck T wrote:
Just finished reading the Consumer Reports Feb 2010 issue at the local library. It included ratings of Netbook Computers. What Karl provided above is the rankings for 10 inch Netbooks. The report also included ratings for 11-12 inch Netbook Computers. Their top rated models include:

#1 Acer Aspire Timeline AS1810TZ-4013 (Win 7) 9.75 hrs battery life 3.2 lbs
#2 Dell Inspiron 11z (Win 7) 3.25 hrs battery life 3.0 lbs
#3 Samsung NC20-21GBK (Win XP) 4.5 hrs battery life 3.3 lbs


The Acer Aspire Timeline had the highest score by far for any of the Netbooks included in the evaluation by Consumer Reports as well as being the highest priced model in the review at $550. In all fairness however it comes with 11.6 inch 1366X768 screen, 3 GB Ram, a 320 GB hard drive, Win 7 Home Premium and Wireless N w/gigabit support.

Whether or not one needs or wants those features is an individual choice. Chuck
FWIW, it also has bluetooth and an 8 hr battery.

I think you could build a Dell 11z roughly similar to the 1810.

The online version of CR netbook ratings also lists an HP Mini 311 for $630. This model has the Atom processor and Ion grahics. It was the lowest rated of the 11"-12" models.

It seems like a year ago, small laptops were divided into two categories:
Netbooks, which had low specs and low price, and ultraportables, which had more horsepower but a hefty ($1,000+) price tag. There are now intermediate models that blur the distinction and give the buyer a lot more options.
sonowwhat?
Posts: 43
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:39 am

Post by sonowwhat? »

I bought the toshiba for my son at Christmas. 9 Hour battery life and cool exterior with Windows 7 starter sold me
Post Reply