Refrigerator water filter

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Refrigerator water filter

Post by tennisplyr »

We got new LG refrigerator over the past several months and it’s indicating I need to change my water (and air) filter. Was wondering who changes these, how often, how much do they cost, do I need to?
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
fabdog

Re: Refrigerator water filter

Post by fabdog »

Water filters are easy, look for a you tube, they are usually at the bottom of the fridge... pop out old cartridge, pop in new one.

Haven't ever had to change an air filter

Mike
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

tennisplyr wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm We got new LG refrigerator over the past several months and it’s indicating I need to change my water (and air) filter. Was wondering who changes these
You do. Or someone you hire to do it for you.
how often
Every 6 months, depending on your water quality and usage
how much do they cost
About $10.
do I need to?
Only if you want your refrigerator water to keep working and be drinkable.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

This is my first fridge with replaceable water filter. Seeing many generic replacement alternatives to fit my fridge on the market. Sometimes sticking w/genuine brand is wise and makes a quality difference, other times you're just paying a surcharge for the name with no added value.

Does anyone know if brand name matters when it comes to replacement water filters for LG, Whirlpool or other brand name fridges?
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

On our LG refrigerator, the water filter is at the top on the left side. Pull the cover down, then pull the filter down to about 45 degrees and it will pull out. Air filter is at top, back center. Quarter turn to remove the cover and access the filter. Very very easy job.

I buy replacement filters on Amazon, there are various brands available that have all worked well. I look for NSF certification and good reviews.
BerkeleyChris

Post by BerkeleyChris »

I've had good luck with filters from this site:
https://www.everydropwater.com/

I don't think they work for LG but they work for several mainstream brands
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

We have a Samsung French door refrigerator & the filter is in between the vegetable crisper drawers. After trying generic water filters, we only use Samsung branded filters. We found that when we use the generics, and we have many times, the water line knocks continuously. That doesn’t happen with the brand name filter.
Changing the filter isn’t difficult. Easy to do yourself. FIRST, remember to shut off the water supply to the refrigerator. When you disconnect the old filter, you will probably get a cup of water that leaks out. Install the new filter, turn on the water supply & fill a glass a couple of times to bleed any air that might be in the line. Then you should be good to go.
We use All Filters (https://www.allfilters.com) & have found them to be competitive & quick to ship.
Last edited by bradinsky on Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I didn't change the water filter for several years. (Long story). Then I bought some filters on line and changed it. Doesn't seem any different to me, but then the water is drinkable out of the tap.

Don't have an air filter.

Post by 123 »

We have Kenmore (Whirlpool) refrigerator so our experience maybe different/same. Our tap water is fine so typically I hit reset on the "change filter" indicator and actually only change it every year or two. Our "change filter" indicator seems to be based on a timer, not usage/volume, so it takes us a long time to go through the volume of water indicated on the filter specs. While it is easy to change our filter the most annoying part of the process is running water through the drink dispenser to "burp" the line and get the air bubbles out. If it doesn't get completely burped the water dispenser drips. It often seems like we have to run a couple of quarts of water through it to burp it properly.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
AS7911

Post by AS7911 »

We've got an LG fridge, and live in King County WA (seattle metro area) , known to have some of the best water in the country. I simply removed the filter. Dispenser works fine, and water tastes great.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

On my Whirlpool fridge I get this notification every six months, no matter how much water I use from the fridge. The notification is clearly based on a timer, rather than an analysis of the filter. We just turn off the notice and replace the filter once a year or two. WE are on a good municipal water system so the water does not really need anything anyway.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

We have a Samsung refrigerator, we did not hook up the water dispenser or ice feature. BUT we still get a red light about every 6 months to change the filter, I just hit the reset button.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

tennisplyr wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm We got new LG refrigerator over the past several months and it’s indicating I need to change my water (and air) filter. Was wondering who changes these, how often, how much do they cost, do I need to?
The refer water filters I’ve seen are set by time, whether they need changing or not. I always reset the timer at least once, sometimes three times before the filter actually needs changing. It would depend on your water supply of course.

The refer air filters I’ve seen don’t work too well. We still use an open box of baking powder to absorb odors.
Bogle7

Re: Refrigerator filters

Post by Bogle7 »

I find the cost of genuine Sub-Zero water and air filters to be mouse nuts compared with the acquisition cost of the refrigerator.
So, Sub-Zero brand for me. As “scheduled” by the fridge.
After all, one of the reasons we bought the Sub-Zero was the ethylene scrubbing via the air filter.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

tennisplyr wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm We got new LG refrigerator over the past several months and it’s indicating I need to change my water (and air) filter. Was wondering who changes these, how often, how much do they cost, do I need to?
Like said above, I too have an LG (though branded Kenmore) refrigerator and the filer is in the top left. Depending on the height of your upper left shelf, we have to remove or lower our top left shelf to allow the cartridge to come down the full 45 degrees to get it removed. I also believe you have to twist it a quarter turn once down 45 degrees to remove it which I didn't see mentioned above. Also, when you put in a new filter, run a bunch of water through it. The first dozen or so glasses will not be very clear looking and I have always been hesitant to drink it.

Not asked, but be forewarned that if you ever need a part, you are in for a long wait as nobody in the U.S. stocks anything for them. One repair left us without a refrigerator for three months and the second for six months. The second repair was a new control board due to an electrical surge and insurance company ended up totaling it since it would take over six months to get the new board. Unfortunately they forced us to get the equivalent refrigerator as a replacement so we still have an LG (Kenmore Elite) and it took six months for delivery due to a backlog. It is the last LG appliance I will ever own.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

After several months our refrigerator gave us a warning sign and sound that the filter needed replacement. When I checked (a few years ago) the cost of the new filter was around $50. I did change the first time, however, the next time it signaled I did a little research and since we have a reverse osmosis system for our drinking water (which is also the feed for the fridge) I decided that changing the filter was Unnecessary. The fact that it alarmed at all leads me to believe that the notification must be on a timer rather than water flow through the filter. I believe I contacted the seller and explained and they said to just remove the filter. I suggest that you discuss with your appliance dealer or check with the manufacturer. Good Luck.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

BogleFanGal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:30 pm This is my first fridge with replaceable water filter. Seeing many generic replacement alternatives to fit my fridge on the market. Sometimes sticking w/genuine brand is wise and makes a quality difference, other times you're just paying a surcharge for the name with no added value.

Does anyone know if brand name matters when it comes to replacement water filters for LG, Whirlpool or other brand name fridges?
In our GE fridge, using a knock-off filter caused pressure problems that resulted in knocking noises and poor-or-no water flow. I'd recommend sticking with original manufacturer filters, preferably directly from the fridge maker. Saving money with internet bargains did not end up well for us. I see other posts here in which people have done well with internet filter purchases, and I'm sure such purchases often work out fine. My experience, however, has been different.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

You don't HAVE to do it. The fridge in the house we bought seems to have it jammed or broke or something, but I'll be darned if I can get it out.

It hasn't been changed for at least 18 months. You simply don't get the filtered water.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Beehave wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:22 am
BogleFanGal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:30 pm This is my first fridge with replaceable water filter. Seeing many generic replacement alternatives to fit my fridge on the market. Sometimes sticking w/genuine brand is wise and makes a quality difference, other times you're just paying a surcharge for the name with no added value.

In our GE fridge, using a knock-off filter caused pressure problems that resulted in knocking noises and poor-or-no water flow. I'd recommend sticking with original manufacturer filters, preferably directly from the fridge maker. Saving money with internet bargains did not end up well for us. I see other posts here in which people have done well with internet filter purchases, and I'm sure such purchases often work out fine. My experience, however, has been different.
Thanks to you and several others who replied. I guess the difference between paying $30 brand name vs 10-15 generic over a 1-2 year period isn't that much difference to risk the possible aggravation.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:10 pm
tennisplyr wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:06 pm We got new LG refrigerator over the past several months and it’s indicating I need to change my water (and air) filter. Was wondering who changes these
how much do they cost
About $10.
$10??? I didn't check for LG, but my whirlpool filter just cost me a discounted $32 (or would have been $40+ on Amazon)

I suggest you check your owners manual for the correct filter number. Or use one of the online match numbers using your model number; but on Amazon they still warn you that it might not fit your fridge.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

heartwood wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:50 pm
how much do they cost
About $10.
$10??? I didn't check for LG, but my whirlpool filter just cost me a discounted $32 (or would have been $40+ on Amazon)

I suggest you check your owners manual for the correct filter number. Or use one of the online match numbers using your model number; but on Amazon they still warn you that it might not fit your fridge.
(shrug)

I can find 3 sets of NSF certified, water+air replacement filters for LG refrigerators for $29.99.
And with Prime, it can be delivered the next day.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Don't know if this is truly an issue with water filters in fridges (maybe someone knows more?) but I heard/read somewhere that if you have not used it in a while (e.g., several weeks of travel) and then start using it again it may suddenly release a lot of the stuff that you previously filtered out.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:10 pm
how much do they cost
About $10.

(shrug)

I can find 3 sets of NSF certified, water+air replacement filters for LG refrigerators for $29.99.
+1 I bought a set of three the last time for my LG for $23.99 using Amazon Prime according to my order history.
piper

Post by piper »

This is just another way for them to keep getting money out of people. If your tap water is drinkable you probably don't need to change yours for years. All that is in them is a little activated carbon, probably $.50 worth.
indexfundfan

Post by indexfundfan »

I'm getting the water filter replacement reminders too and did a little research.

It seems like the cheap filters on Amazon are only certified to NSF 42 and NSF 372 (lead only).

The original manufacturer's filters are certified to NSF 42, NSF 53 and NSF 401. I believe NSF 53 is a superset of NSF 372.

So when the filters claimed NSF certification, look closer. The filtering properties are not quite the same.
My signature has been deleted.
MildlyEccentric

Post by MildlyEccentric »

I went a long time without replacing our Kenmore refrigerator water filter, but eventually, the water developed a funky taste. Replacing the filter corrected the issue. Eventually I got tired of replacing the filter and just removed the filter completely. Interestingly, the water and ice dispenser work just fine without a filter and without leaking. I've operated this way for many years. I can't guarantee your fridge will work as well without a filter though.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

We've lived in areas with very good water that didn't need any filtering. In that case there is typically either the option to leave the filter out or put in a "plug" which disables it. Your owner's manual or one you find online should give you the details on this.

We've also lived in places with terrible water. Often times in those areas most homes have reverse osmosis (R.O.) systems, typically under the sink, that feed a separate tap at the sink and often also have a line to the refrigerator. If this is the case the R.O. water does not require filtering either, it's already filtered.

If you live in a place where you need to filter your refrigerator others here are providing good information and suggestions but make sure you need it before buying these expensive and often unnecessary filters.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

how much do they cost
About $10.

Yes, I found filters equally expensive for a (now dead, unsurprisingly) Samsung fridge.

Though it allowed you to remove the filter altogether, so that's what we ended up doing.

It would be less expensive to add an external, higher capacity carbon filter directly on the feed line to the fridge, e.g.:

https://smile.amazon.com/AQUACREST-Year ... 07Y9S7L29/
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

Tried knock off filters from Amazon in our LG fridge. The water came from these with a strong chlorine smell, just like tap water.
If they don't filter out chlorine like they claim they do, they probably also don't filter out other stuff that I cannot taste.
Back to expensive LG filters...
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

My fridge is hooked up to RO so no fridge filter installed.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

They are really easy to change yourself, and expect to pay anywhere from $40-60 every 6 months.

Don't buy generic. There was an article on consumer reports a while back about water filters. The brand name ones that are certified, were found to filter out a lot more than the cheap-o ones from Amazon, especially lead and toxic heavy metals. Who knows what is in these knockoff filters from overseas. No one is checking them to make sure they are safe and actually work (like the recent article on the knockoff KN95s).
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

https://www.frigidaire.com/en/filters/water-filters

My Frigidaire refridgerator alerts me it needs a new filter. They are $40+ on this site. We have good water and don’t want filtering. If I pull the filter the fridge won’t dispense water. My civil engineering teacher always told us the worst thing one can do is leave an old water filter in place as it is the perfect Petrie dish for whatever to grow, so leaving the old one in place is not an option for us.

Are there any work around folks know of? By pass plugs that will allow the fridge to dispense water?

Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=frigidaire+w ... ef=sr_pg_1

After a little research I don’t see a plug of this style. Will keep looking for a reputable discount filter maker that won’t give us the plague by using the filter. We can easily used tap water but guests won’t know not to use fridge water. Does anyone know of water for ice goes thru the filter?

Fridge model number LFSC2324VF
Filter model EPTWFUO1

Here is an off brand that says it’s tested on allfilters.com

https://www.allfilters.com/refrigerator ... -sp-frep01

Edited at 10:38 est I ordered a knock off partially tested filter from all filters. If I die tell the authorities please.
Last edited by Parkinglotracer on Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 »

Don't get filters from Amazon. On our GE refrigerator, I ordered an OEM filter direct from Amazon (not their third-party flea market). It arrived in a box that looked new, but the filter was missing it's seal, was scuffed and still had water in it!

I returned it and they sent another used one. And a third time they sent another used one. That's when I realized that even new products from Amazon are "co-mingled" with junk, cancelled Amazon Prime, and order from legitimate stores that have real supply chains and inventory control.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910
Parkinglotracer

Marylander1 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:09 am Don't get filters from Amazon. On our GE refrigerator, I ordered an OEM filter direct from Amazon (not their third-party flea market). It arrived in a box that looked new, but the filter was missing it's seal, was scuffed and still had water in it!

I returned it and they sent another used one. And a third time they sent another used one. That's when I realized that even new products from Amazon are "co-mingled" with junk, cancelled Amazon Prime, and order from legitimate stores that have real supply chains and inventory control.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/you-might- ... 1576599910
Thanks !
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

LG's change filter notification for air and water comes at 6 months, regardless of use. Just reset.

Never had a frig with an air filter until now, and it looks brand new. House has a water filter (well), not changing the frig water filter either.
Last edited by RickBoglehead on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

Generic filters tend to only be NSF 42 and 372 filters, which means that they are lead-free and filter aesthetic impurities. OEM filters are also NSF 53 filters, which means that they also remove/reduce a number of contaminants with health effects.

How much this difference means to you is going to be answered differently by different people.

Some generic filters do have both NSF 42 and 53 certifications. They're generally more expensive than just the NSF 42 only generic filters and, of course, you still have to figure out whether these certification claims are trustworthy.
Parkinglotracer

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:22 am LG's change filter notification for air and water comes at 6 months, regardless of use. Just reset.

Never had a frig with an air filter until now, and it looks brand new. House has a water filter (well), not changing that either.
I am not sure this is wise but ??? Regarding leaving fridge or house water filter in place. I wouldn’t leave my hvac air filter in place forever … it would filter our house air thru all the dust it ever collected.

Regardless if replacement light can be reset, From my civil engineering classes I believe leaving old filter in place will lead to bad stuff growing in filter like the mold that grows in our shower. Fridge won’t work with filter removed. Need plug or filter evidently.
Last edited by Parkinglotracer on Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parkinglotracer

aquaman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:36 am

Generic filters tend to only be NSF 42 and 372 filters, which means that they are lead-free and filter aesthetic impurities. OEM filters are also NSF 53 filters, which means that they also remove/reduce a number of contaminants with health effects.

How much this difference means to you is going to be answered differently by different people.

Some generic filters do have both NSF 42 and 53 certifications. They're generally more expensive than just the NSF 42 only generic filters and, of course, you still have to figure out whether these certification claims are trustworthy.
Makes sense - thank you

Love the aquaman name

All filters says theirs are tested

SpiroPure filters are tested and certified to meet NSF/ANSI Standard 42 to reduce chlorine taste and odor and NSF/ANSI 372 for lead-free material, so you can be assured of its quality
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:10 pm
how much do they cost
About $10.

(shrug)

Please see above. A statement by a filter manufacturer that the filter is certified to meet an unspecified NSF standard is completely meaningless. Likewise, a generic NSF 42 and 372 filter isn't doing the same filtering as a proper NSF 42 and 53 filter (and, with a generic filter, you still have to figure out whether the NSF certification claims are reliable).
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:46 am

Makes sense - thank you

Love the aquaman name

SpiroPure filters are tested and certified to meet NSF/ANSI Standard 42 to reduce chlorine taste and odor and NSF/ANSI 372 for lead-free material, so you can be assured of its quality
Right, which means that they are not NSF 53 filters, so they do not meet the NSF standards for removing/reducing a number of contaminants with health effects.
Parkinglotracer

aquaman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:50 am
Parkinglotracer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:46 am

Makes sense - thank you

Love the aquaman name

Right, which means that they are not NSF 53 filters, so they do not meet the NSF standards for removing/reducing a number of contaminants with health effects.
Thank you - I did not know what the 53 standard involved. Thanks !

I am cheap enough to take a part the current filter - empty it from its “inside” parts and re-use it … probably flood my house while gone … lol.
Last edited by Parkinglotracer on Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dufus

Post by Dufus »

Parkinglotracer

JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson »

We use Home Depot brand (HDX) instead of LG. The price is still high ($30 per), but it's cheaper than LG. We specifically went with HDX vs Amazon options due to the certifications. I likely read about NSF certifications on this forum.

We change every 6 months per the recommendation. I've got bigger problems to worry about than $60 per year on water filters.
Certified against NSF/ANSI 42, 53, 372, 401 & CSA B483.1 to reduce Lead, Cyst, VOC's, Pharmaceuticals (such as Naproxen, Ibuprofen and Phenytoin), BPA, PFOA & PFOS as well as Chlorine taste and odor to ensure high quality and performance.
Last edited by JoeJohnson on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:44 am
RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:22 am LG's change filter notification for air and water comes at 6 months, regardless of use. Just reset.

Never had a frig with an air filter until now, and it looks brand new. House has a water filter (well), not changing that either.
I am not sure this is wise but ??? Regarding leaving fridge or house water filter in place. I wouldn’t leave my hvac air filter in place forever … it would filter our house air thru all the dust it ever collected.

Regardless if replacement light can be reset, From my civil engineering classes I believe leaving old filter in place will lead to bad stuff growing in filter like the mold that grows in our shower. Fridge won’t work with filter removed. Need plug or filter evidently.
You misunderstood what I posted. House water filter is changed, so I am not changing frig water filter. I will look for what I need in the future to bypass it.

Only reason for an air filter in frig is smells, and ours never has smelled in 40 years, so not changing the air filter. These are just ways for the appliance manufacturer to get a stream of income.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

My health nut wife wants them changed, but also refuses to use any ice or water out of there. I use the ice every day. I just change them to please her. I don’t think it’s important at all.
This time is the same
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We change ours about once a year or so and simply reset the indicator to "Filter good" on the message at other times so those who are more detailed than we won't be concerned. :happy

Tim
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

RickBoglehead wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:46 am Only reason for an air filter in frig is smells, and ours never has smelled in 40 years, so not changing the air filter. These are just ways for the appliance manufacturer to get a stream of income.
Never had a frig with an air filter until now, and it looks brand new.
Are you talking about an air filter for ethylene? Unlike an HVAC filter, which filters out dirt and the like, an ethylene filter is there to absorb gases. So, unlike an HVAC filter, which for obvious reasons looks dirty over time, an ethylene filter dose not. It simply stops being able to absorb ethylene.

Ethylene accelerates ripening and food spoilage, so some of the better refrigerators incorporate ethylene filters, which keeps your refrigerated fruits and vegetables fresher longer. It's the same technology that commercial refrigeration companies have been using for decades.
Last edited by aquaman on Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I just got the alert on a 6 month old Whirlpool. Cheapest OEM part I could find was $50, but I went with it. I am a little worried about the fit with knockoffs, right or wrong.
BogleFanGal

Post by BogleFanGal »

Thanks for your response! :beer I ended up just removing the filter entirely and going filter-free. We have great water quality from our municipality, so the filter seemed like an unnecessary maintenance expense.