FreeYourMusic - anyone use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jebmke

FreeYourMusic - anyone use?

Post by jebmke »

Thinking of dumping Spotify.

Has anyone used FreeYourMusic to transfer content lists from Spotify to another streaming service?

What destination and how did it work out?
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
hvaclorax

Re: FreeYourMusic - anyone use?

Post by hvaclorax »

Sorry to hear about Spotify. I’m in no way connected financially but I wonder why you would leave. I’m over the moon with their service. Not lossless but inaudible with my stereo system. Actually I built current system to put Spotify in it’s best light. Low cost electronics combined with low cost Spotify is great. Do you know how many tracks they offer? Millions, you can never listen to them all. Explore them during the pandemic is what I recommend.
I understand if you have other reasons but I can’t imagine what they might be.
Respectfully HVAC
colddeadfish

Post by colddeadfish »

hvaclorax wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 11:27 pm I understand if you have other reasons but I can’t imagine what they might be.
lol
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

My music is already free owing to physical formats and the ability to encode however I please. No breaks in my tunes when driving in areas with no cellular data signal, which is daily.
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:23 am My music is already free owing to physical formats and the ability to encode however I please. No breaks in my tunes when driving in areas with no cellular data signal, which is daily.
I have over 1,000 vinyls if you can fit them in your trunk. Eventually they are headed for the landfill if I can’t find a easy way to recycle them.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

jebmke wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:33 am
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:23 am My music is already free owing to physical formats and the ability to encode however I please. No breaks in my tunes when driving in areas with no cellular data signal, which is daily.
I have over 1,000 vinyls if you can fit them in your trunk. Eventually they are headed for the landfill if I can’t find a easy way to recycle them.
You should be selling those to hipsters if you no longer want them. Vinyl is the ONLY physical format on a growth trajectory!

I didn't say I carried all my CDs around with me. Far from it. I purchase, listen on the disc maybe 3X, then encode on iTunes in preferred format and bitrate and sync to my phone. Disc safely stored for later, and if dominant digital format or my preferences change, I can go back and re-encode.

Works for me. Zero ads, zero monthly fees, no data connection required or excessive data usage to pay for, and no filler tracks.
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:04 am hipsters
Do they pick up? I live in a rural area.

I still have a lot of CDs (no CD player). I've lost interest in the music I have and prefer listening to something new.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

It depends on whether they have a method of transport, which can be a little spotty with hipsters. May be limited by what they can carry on their fixed gear bicycle and whether they have the endurance to make it to your abode and back to their urban haven of coffee shops. Not that there's anything wrong with that! . . .

Sorry for derailing your thread. I was just presenting an alternative to Spotify that works for me.
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 8:36 am It depends on whether they have a method of transport, which can be a little spotty with hipsters. May be limited by what they can carry on their fixed gear bicycle and whether they have the endurance to make it to your abode and back to their urban haven of coffee shops. Not that there's anything wrong with that! . . .

Sorry for derailing your thread. I was just presenting an alternative to Spotify that works for me.
ah, I thought "hipsters" was a business.

no problems derailing thread; none of the replies were responsive anyway -- common on BH.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

No, hipsters isn't a business. Most of them are just transient employees in menial jobs at best.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_% ... culture%29
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

jebmke wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:40 pm Thinking of dumping Spotify.

Has anyone used FreeYourMusic to transfer content lists from Spotify to another streaming service?

What destination and how did it work out?
I'm in the same boat and checking out alternatives. I recently signed up for a trial period to Tidal but probably won't move there permanently. I discovered there are nearly 200 tracks from my most listened to playlists on Spotify that are not available on Tidal. That does not bode well for Tidal introducing me to new artists that Spotify has or for adding new albums from some artists that I enjoy who are available on Spotify.

I will probably sign up for a trial subscription to Qobuz in the coming weeks to see how it compares.

I did not use FreeYourMusic but I did use Soundiiz to import my Spotify playlists to Tidal. It worked flawlessly and listed the tracks that were not available on Tidal. Some of my playlists exceeded the max allowed on Soundiiz' free version so I signed up for their monthly plan which I will cancel after checking out Qobuz.

https://soundiiz.com/
Topic Author
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Thanks. I am considering just going with Apple Music. It probably integrates well with Siri for use in the car. I think there is a free trial period of a month or two. I moved podcasts off Spotify several months ago because the Spotify app was misbehaving. Their UI is cluttered and they recently changed it quite a bit which is always a mistake.