Single Serve Coffee Brewers & Water Tanks

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MrWasabi65

Single Serve Coffee Brewers & Water Tanks

Post by MrWasabi65 »

For various reasons, I've been looking to buy a small, single serve coffee/tea brewing machine.

I notice that many of the models do not have a removable water reservoir or tank.

So here's my geeky question - how do you clean the tank that inevitably will accumulate a bit of crud or microbes or fungi over time since these holding spaces won't ever be completely dry between uses, if you use daily?

From looking at them, there appear to be crevices, etc. Doesn't seem practical to do a daily vinegar or other antifungal/antimicrobial rinse? LOL - I mean unless you like doing that kind of maintenance every day?

Of if you go away for a vacation and leftover moisture sits in the tank for awhile, do you somehow clean the tank before firing the unit back up?
TomatoTomahto

Re: Single Serve Coffee Brewers & Water Tanks

Post by TomatoTomahto »

You mentioned one of the reasons I prefer a Technivorm Moccamaster. They have been requested for years to add a timer to their coffee makers but refuse, because they maintain that water that stays overnight in the maker will become “flat” and affect the taste. I could have jerry rigged a timer, but didn’t.

That’s also why CPAP machines recommend emptying and refilling the water reservoir daily. It’s a bit of a pain, but … health.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

I had a Keruig like that and would just run cycles without a coffee pod if I wanted to empty the remainder of the tank. It also had a function that would reverse the pump and empty the heating tank back into the water reservoir. Even with a removable tank there will always be hoses, valves, pumps and heating tanks you can't reach to clean.

For tea get a proper electric kettle that can reach a full boil for black tea and has temperature stops for the other more delicate (green, white, etc.) varieties. Switching from tea bags to loose leaf has been the biggest beverage quality improvement I have found, once I found some good whole leaf teas.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

MrWasabi65 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:33 am For various reasons, I've been looking to buy a small, single serve coffee/tea brewing machine.

I notice that many of the models do not have a removable water reservoir or tank.

So here's my geeky question - how do you clean the tank that inevitably will accumulate a bit of crud or microbes or fungi over time since these holding spaces won't ever be completely dry between uses, if you use daily?

From looking at them, there appear to be crevices, etc. Doesn't seem practical to do a daily vinegar or other antifungal/antimicrobial rinse? LOL - I mean unless you like doing that kind of maintenance every day?

Of if you go away for a vacation and leftover moisture sits in the tank for awhile, do you somehow clean the tank before firing the unit back up?
Similar concerns:

1. Don't let water sit in the coffee maker. = hard water deposits, bacteria, etc.
2. Simplicity
3. Counter space
4. 12-16 oz 1 cup maker is enough.
5. Simplicity

What's worked for me over the years.

Now: Pour over ceramic holder and paper filters. Water is boiled in a "Hot Shot" which is very fast.

Sunbeam Hot Shot (have had these for decades).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

#2 coffee filters:

ceramic pour over thing
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Before Now: Stainless steel 1 serving french press, result is poured through a paper filter to take out gunk.

Before before now, for many years.: On my 3rd one over 10 years of use each morning.
Black and Decker coffee maker (reliable, clean and rinse out after each use and let dry in rack upside down)

Burr Grinder and beans in these things:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Outstanding per boglehead reviews burr grinder.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08 ... UTF8&psc=1

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

We recently got a Nespresso and love it. I felt guilty about single-use coffee pods until I found out that Nespresso capsules are fully recyclable and made from aluminum. You can take them back to any Nespresso store and they recycle them free. Nespresso also has a special descaling solution, and we only use filtered water from the fridge to help cut down on scaling and nasty stale water taste (that is really important).

If you are looking to get just a one-cup machine, and like drip coffee, you can get a small drip machine that doesn't use pods and only makes enough for one cup.

I am very anti-Keurig because of the awful environmental impact of their plastic K-Cup pods (and I swear you can taste the plastic in their coffee). No. 5 plastic is not easily or readily recyclable in all communities. They claim they are 100% recyclable, but they aren't (depending on where you live), you have to be diligent about removing the peel off lid (which is not recyclable), and you have to hope the pods are actually recycled and not just tossed in the landfill. At the end of the day, my environmental guilt is too great to use them. :D
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 am You mentioned one of the reasons I prefer a Technivorm Moccamaster. They have been requested for years to add a timer to their coffee makers but refuse, because they maintain that water that stays overnight in the maker will become “flat” and affect the taste.
I'd like to hear an explanation from them of why water becomes "flat" when sitting in their coffee maker but doesn't when it's sitting in jugs at the store or inside my house pipes. Are they making coffee from carbonated water?
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

punkinhead wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:41 am
TomatoTomahto wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:41 am You mentioned one of the reasons I prefer a Technivorm Moccamaster. They have been requested for years to add a timer to their coffee makers but refuse, because they maintain that water that stays overnight in the maker will become “flat” and affect the taste.
I'd like to hear an explanation from them of why water becomes "flat" when sitting in their coffee maker but doesn't when it's sitting in jugs at the store or inside my house pipes. Are they making coffee from carbonated water?
I can’t really speak for them or their views, but I have noticed that my bedside glass of tap water looks different the next day with fewer bubbles. I have switched to having an insulated mug of water bedside (to keep it cold and not spill if I’m clumsy when half asleep).
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.