Things to consider when shopping for socket set

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Johny Fever

Re: Things to consider when shopping for socket set

Post by Johny Fever »

I use whatever brand the local NAPA store is selling at the time I need to buy tools...which at my stage of career is about never now...but the NAPA store will warranty anything I break and they will also deliver it to me with my daily parts orders and then take the broken tool back and issue me a credit for it. Right now NAPA carries Craftman tools. I also have a fair amount of Snap On tools...I think for the shade tree mechanic Craftsman works as well as anything....my son has a few tools from Harbor Freight and they seem to be fine as well....if you are breaking an impact socket honestly it is usually more about your improper use of the tool than the tool itself. Also pick up a can or two of PB Blaster...the best of nuts need a little help from time to time...kinda like the people on the use end of the tool!
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:08 pm
helloeveryone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:57 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:31 am Harbor Freight.
Watch for sales and holiday discounts and freebies.

Also be aware of "Tool Therapy". :shock: :shock:

j :D

Be sure that you have a place and cabinetry to properly store your new tools. :D :D
I’ve been looking at costco for cabinetry :D :D All good. Nice thing is with a complete set they come in one large well organized box.

Edited to add - I love your set up! Maybe I just need a friend with that set up and rent the spce and tools by the hour.
Or better yet I need a new house with three car garage to fit all the tools and have room to maneuver!
Great.
Once you have rolling tool cabinets, you'll never go back to using tool boxes.
Good lord man, you have more tools than some of the guys I hire to work in my shops...LOL...if you are looking for a job and want to relocate to cold wintery Michigan please let me know...but I do agree on rolling tool cabinets...we have about 20 of them in our shop and label them for specially tools for the different brands we service the most. When buying these do not go cheap on the wheel sizes...nice set up in your home shop...bravo!
tortoise84

Post by tortoise84 »

Note that the drive size and bolt head size scale up depending on the required fastening torque. So if it's a high torque bolt, the head size should be in the range that 1/2" drive sockets typically cover. Bolt sizes that are covered by a typical 3/8" set can usually be taken out by hand. So you won't need an impact wrench to take out a little 8mm bolt.

Also, if you use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on an impact wrench, you'll lose torque because the tool is hammering on the adapter, then the adapter is hammering on the socket, then finally the socket is hammering on the bolt head. You could also snap off the 3/8" head of the adapter.

I've only needed metric on cars, but watch out for sets that skip sizes like 15mm and 18mm. You may also need hex bits, Torx, E-Torx or triple square. Ironically, I've only used SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers, around the house like a 1-1/16" socket on my water heater anode rod.

You said you already have a 1/2" metric deep socket set and a 3/8" deep socket set, so maybe you just need a shallow set for places with low clearance? Also get some good ratchets of various types (flex head, 18" long), extensions, universal joints, etc. Like others have recommended, I just get my stuff from Harbor Freight. Pittsburgh is their lowest range, Quinn in the middle, and Icon is supposed to compete with Snap-On.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Harbor Freight
Set of Torque Sticks.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Be sure that you have a place and cabinetry to properly store your new tools. :D :D
Jim can I borrow a 1/2 inch open end wrench? :sharebeer Nice setup!

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Dave55 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:06 am

Dave
I have a set of metric screwdrivers and metric pliers you can use. Just drive over.

j🌺
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:13 am

Dave
I have a set of metric screwdrivers and metric pliers you can use. Just drive over.

j🌺
8-)
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Teague

Post by Teague »

Dave
With that setup I think Sandtrap might reply something like "Sure, would you like that in a regular open end wrench, a flare nut wrench, an offset open end, extra thin handle open end, crow's foot open end, swivel-head open end, or something else?"
Semper Augustus
Topic Author
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

tortoise84 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:51 am Note that the drive size and bolt head size scale up depending on the required fastening torque. So if it's a high torque bolt, the head size should be in the range that 1/2" drive sockets typically cover. Bolt sizes that are covered by a typical 3/8" set can usually be taken out by hand. So you won't need an impact wrench to take out a little 8mm bolt.

Also, if you use a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter on an impact wrench, you'll lose torque because the tool is hammering on the adapter, then the adapter is hammering on the socket, then finally the socket is hammering on the bolt head. You could also snap off the 3/8" head of the adapter.

I've only needed metric on cars, but watch out for sets that skip sizes like 15mm and 18mm. You may also need hex bits, Torx, E-Torx or triple square. Ironically, I've only used SAE: Society of Automotive Engineers, around the house like a 1-1/16" socket on my water heater anode rod.

You said you already have a 1/2" metric deep socket set and a 3/8" deep socket set, so maybe you just need a shallow set for places with low clearance? Also get some good ratchets of various types (flex head, 18" long), extensions, universal joints, etc. Like others have recommended, I just get my stuff from Harbor Freight. Pittsburgh is their lowest range, Quinn in the middle, and Icon is supposed to compete with Snap-On.
Really good tip on what I already have. Out of all the great tips folks have left this is the most BH solution. Thinking through my needs I can get away w 3/8” 12 point shallow SAE and metric socket set and if I ever find a need for them - a set of 1/2” shallow metric set. I doubt I need 1/2” SAE set at all then based on what others have mentioned.

And spend the savings on 1/2 inch ratchet and maybe flex head 3/8” ratchet.

REALLY helpful thank you! I’ll probably go this route.
l8_apex

Post by l8_apex »

I bought this over Xmas: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Chro ... /300937332 $130 on sale. Very nice set since it's 6 pt sockets.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

You probably don't want to accumulate too many tools, because ultimately accumulating "stuff" shouldn't be considered a Boglehead-friendly behavior. While having a specific tool can sometimes save money, tools also represent an ongoing expense in storage space and moving cost. So while it's possible to make a good case for a modest collection of tools, anything beyond that is probably distinctly in hobby expense territory. At some point it becomes like spending thousands of dollars on fishing equipment (and equipment storage, etc.), and justifying it by saying you won't spend as much buying fish at the store.

So moderation in accumulating tools is likely the best plan.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

sunny_socal wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:43 am Don't over-think this If it's just for home use and auto/bike maintenance.
- Most tools are made by just a couple companies regardless of the brand
- Most of them made in China

There are basically three tiers remaining
[1] Harbor Freight - Many of their tools are ok (eg. wrenches) but I'd avoid their screw drivers and torque wrenches.
[2] Husky/Craftsman - typical big box brands. Most of my tools are from HW/Lowes/Oreilly/Autozone. HD/Husky torque wrenches are great value.
[3] $nap On - if money is not object. Awesome tools! You'll need a home equity loan for a torque wrench.

Home depot has this 270-piece set on sale for just $100, Husky brand. My son just bought it as his 'first' socket set, it's very good value.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Mecha ... /309161789

Keep what you like, donate or throw away the rest. The tool box it comes in is worthless, so buy a dedicated tool box or rolling cabinet with the money you saved.
I'm wondering where people donate old, but still useable tools (say, when upgrading a socket set, or finally deciding it's time to stop doing one's own maintenance, where I probably ought to be, but I enjoy keeping cars on the road, and saving money by doing it correctly even if it takes more time). It seems like (but maybe not) fewer people want to do this kind of work these days, so, if that's true, it cuts down on options. Some ideas:

--Best place I can think of off-hand is Habitat for Humanity Restores. They work on stuff and in the past I've taken a lot of such things there.
--But does Harbor Freight or somewhere like that accept used tools? I'd think they could make some money recycling and/or selling some things for scrap.
--Speaking of scrap, I've heard some people are getting more money for old car parts at a scrap yard than selling to body shops, etc. due to the value of the steel. So, maybe Bogleheads could take old tools to the scrapyard, and make a few dollars by recycling the metal?
--Or list it on Craigslist as free, and see if there are takers. That might work.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

This is almost a "must have" ever since auto engineers started putting oil filters in "very special locations". . . . :shock: :shock:

"Form A Funnel" thingy . . .
Avail: Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Form-Funnel-Flex ... 124&sr=8-5

This is on a Honda Passport where the oil filter is 1/2" away and above the front frame and steering linkage. Honda actually sells an OEM part that funnels the drips and splash during oil filter changes.
I also use it for fluid changes on our tractor, ATV's, trucks, etc. (What a genius invention!)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

OP
Also consider this axiom: "buy the correct tool for the project, when you need it" (especially specialized tools) which is what I've always done over the decades.

Also, compare the cost of the tool, how many times you are going to repeat that particular project, and if it's cheaper either sending it out to a shop or paying to have someone else do it.
Also, for the particular project, if Harbor Freight quality tools is all you need, then fine, etc.

This way, you are not spending money needlessly on tools that you will never use.

For example. Though I've only used it a handful of times over the years, this "Hitachi" something (Harbor Freight) 3/4 inch drive electric impact wrench and a specialized 3/4 inch drive impact socket is needed to remove the large castle nut on this brush hog blade mount. Nothing I owned generated enough torque to remove the nut. Not even a breaker bar with a cheater pipe, 1/2 inch air impact, etc. So, for me, it was worth the money to invest in the proper tool to do this project every so many years. (and not strain my back :shock: )

So, just get setup with the basics, then buy as you need for what you are doing. But, make sure you only buy once. If the tool is cheap and breaks or struggles to do the project, then your money was wasted.
Hope this helps.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:52 am OP
Also consider this axiom: "buy the correct tool for the project, when you need it" (especially specialized tools) which is what I've always done over the decades.

Also, compare the cost of the tool, how many times you are going to repeat that particular project, and if it's cheaper either sending it out to a shop or paying to have someone else do it.
Also, for the particular project, if Harbor Freight quality tools is all you need, then fine, etc.

This way, you are not spending money needlessly on tools that you will never use.

For example. Though I've only used it a handful of times over the years, this "Hitachi" something (Harbor Freight) 3/4 inch drive electric impact wrench and a specialized 3/4 inch drive impact socket is needed to remove the large castle nut on this brush hog blade mount. Nothing I owned generated enough torque to remove the nut. Not even a breaker bar with a cheater pipe, 1/2 inch air impact, etc. So, for me, it was worth the money to invest in the proper tool to do this project every so many years. (and not strain my back :shock: )

So, just get setup with the basics, then buy as you need for what you are doing. But, make sure you only buy once. If the tool is cheap and breaks or struggles to do the project, then your money was wasted.
Hope this helps.
Nah, what you really need is this, and this will work for everything (compare to 1,600 ft-lbs nut-busting or bolt-breakaway):
Point

Post by Point »

Sometimes you’ll find sweet classic sets at estate sales. Well worth searching for these.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Kagord wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:24 am
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:52 am OP

Hope this helps.
Nah, what you really need is this, and this will work for everything (compare to 1,600 ft-lbs nut-busting or bolt-breakaway):
1/2 inch drive ? Vs 3/4????
Not so sure.
I have a 1/2” drive air ingersoul Rand that wouldn’t budge these monster castle nuts. Even a breaker bar with a 5 foot pipe and some bigger and younger guys than me wouldn’t budge these blade bolts which tend to tighten up on brush hogs.

Will look into it to add to my industrial tool cabinet.
Thanks
J🌺
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

helloeveryone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:26 am There are a lot of handy folks on BH. I own cheaper 3/8 in 12-point deep socket set in metric and SAE, then a cheaper 1/4 in combo set. Then I also have a bosch 1/2 in impact driver and a set of 1/2 in metric deep sockets. (basically acquired as I would do DIY work and realize I need different tools.

Now I'd like to spend the money to buy an entire set of 6 point SAE/Metric Deep and Shallow socket set. I've done a little homework but thought I would run it by this forum since it seems that quality set can be up to $200-300.

I think I'm settled on 3/8 in, and am settled on impact. I'll use a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter to use my driver since I already own it.

Anything else I should consider?

edited to add - main uses - DIY car maintenance (right now as complex as all fluids, will learn brake pads/rotors, can figure out alternator etc...), DIY stuff around the house that needs sockets etc...
How many sizes do you really need in both deep and shallow.

I got a 99 piece set as a teen in 1986. Bet over the years I've used less than 10 sizes and that's including both metric and SAE.
twh

Post by twh »

I really miss the Craftsman of old. Great tools, decent price, easy exchange, easy to buy. New Craftsman are not the same.

If you want an occasionally tool set, most of what is mentioned is fine and Amazon is great for them.

I would not do HF myself except for a tool I might only use once.

If you really want good tools, you need one of the not easy to access brands. When I buy a high use tool, I now buy Stahlwille or Gedore or Hazet.
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I just bought a Husky 1/4-drive deep well socket set figuring it was probably just as good as any other.

In the middle of taking apart my van, I discovered that the 8mm deep-well socket does not have a large enough hole through it to actually function as a deep well. It was deep enough, but would not slide over the threads because the hole was too small, essentially making it a fake deep-well. I've never seen anything like it. I was totally stuck until I figured out I could use the 5/16" deep well from my 30 year old Craftsman set, which has a normal, large hole all the way through it.

Sometimes store brands are just as good. Sometimes they are better. Sometimes they don't even work, like Husky deep-well sockets.
Topic Author
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 am This is almost a "must have" ever since auto engineers started putting oil filters in "very special locations". . . . :shock: :shock:

This is on a Honda Passport where the oil filter is 1/2" away and above the front frame and steering linkage. Honda actually sells an OEM part that funnels the drips and splash during oil filter changes.
I also use it for fluid changes on our tractor, ATV's, trucks, etc. (What a genius invention!)
oh nice! similar issue on Honda Odyssey - I use a sandwhich ziplock bag, loosen the filter, then put bag around filter and unscrew. Excess oil drips into ziplock bag. I love the $26 interesting shape funnel though!
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

helloeveryone wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:26 am

I'd consider https://www.tekton.com/ Tekton Tools.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:15 pm Why not buy Snap-On tools?
High quality. Made in the USA.
Because that is extreme overkill for anyone who does not make their living wrenching 8+ hours a day. A single snap-on ratchet is about the same price as a full socket set that would satisfy a typical homeowner's needs for their entire lifetime. A full set of snap-on ratchets and sockets like OP is looking for costs as much as a late-model sedan.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

helloeveryone wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:11 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:41 am This is almost a "must have" ever since auto engineers started putting oil filters in "very special locations". . . . :shock: :shock:

oh nice! similar issue on Honda Odyssey - I use a sandwhich ziplock bag, loosen the filter, then put bag around filter and unscrew. Excess oil drips into ziplock bag. I love the $26 interesting shape funnel though!
Yes. I do both.
ziplock bag thing, quart bag size
form a funnel thingy

Honda actually sells a part that specifically drains oil away from the frame, etc.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

tesuzuki2002 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:13 pm

Mostly made in Taiwan.
I wonder how much of a difference in price vs quality/value from Harbor Freight's better brands/products. Unknown,

Interesting site. Thanks for the link.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

I always liked Craftsman because of the lifetime warranty. Never had an opportunity to use it, but I liked the idea that if I did I'd get a replacement. Two weeks ago my 3/8" socket died.

1. Went to local auto shop who sold them. They said they don't do warranties and I'd have to go online.
2. Went online and filed my claim.
3. Was sent a Sears gift card for $22 and directed to their website.
4. Ordered a small set (couldn't get the socket separately) that they stated was in-stock at a regional Sears outlet.
5. 30 minutes later I got an email saying it wasn't in-stock and I needed to amend my order. None of the links in this email (one of which was an option to "Deliver to Home for Free") worked correctly.
6. Tried online chatting via their website, and I was told all I could do would be to order via credit card, and at a later date they'd work on refunding the money in the amount of the gift card. At that point I just stopped, if it's this hard to use their gift card and website there's no telling how convoluted it would be to get my credit card purchase refunded. I'll simply pick up something at Harbor Freight.

The point is (for me anyway) that buying something from Craftsman is the way to go because of their warranty, might not be as relevant as it was years ago when they were a larger player in the marketplace. Take the above for what it's worth.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Yooper wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:19 am The point is (for me anyway) that buying something from Craftsman is the way to go because of their warranty, might not be as relevant as it was years ago when they were a larger player in the marketplace. Take the above for what it's worth.
Agreed. 10+ years ago when I broke my 1/2" ratchet, I took it to the local Sears Hardware for a replacement. The guy actually reached under the counter and pulled out a rebuild kit, took all the guts out of mine, put the new guts in, and handed it back to me. I asked if I could keep the knurled wheel that the square drive is attached to, he shrugged and handed that to me too. It makes a nice little thumb driver for low-torque applications.

But Sears Hardware is no more, the final remaining Sears store in their home state of IL closed last fall, and as you stated, the warranty is not anywhere near as compelling as it once was. Right now I think the best consumer warranty is Husky, which resembles the old Craftsman warranty--bring your broken tool to any HD and they will replace it, no receipt required.
twh

Post by twh »

If you want warranty replacement for a Craftsman tool, go to Lowe's and they will swap it out for you. I've done this at least once, maybe twice.
tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 am
tesuzuki2002 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:13 pm

Mostly made in Taiwan.
I wonder how much of a difference in price vs quality/value from Harbor Freight's better brands/products. Unknown,

Interesting site. Thanks for the link.

They are starting to move some production to the US due to supply chain issues. They sell mainly thru Amazon but they have has explosive growth thru the past 2 years. Starting to make a foot print in Lowe's and other regional Midwest stores.
runwyrlph

Post by runwyrlph »

My grandpa was a mechanic, he told me when I was a boy to always take apart a new ratchet and grease the internal splines. I always do that the first thing and even cheap ratchets last a long time. Most have a snap ring or spiral spring to remove, then the ratchet part just drops out of the handle. Smear some grease on the dogs and splines and put it all back together,
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

twh wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm I really miss the Craftsman of old. Great tools, decent price, easy exchange, easy to buy. New Craftsman are not the same.
As I explained, at least as far back as the 1970s, they were only great if you had easy access to a well-stocked store and were willing to sift through multiple copies looking for a good one. Quality control was just not there.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

runwyrlph wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:57 pm My grandpa was a mechanic, he told me when I was a boy to always take apart a new ratchet and grease the internal splines. I always do that the first thing and even cheap ratchets last a long time. Most have a snap ring or spiral spring to remove, then the ratchet part just drops out of the handle. Smear some grease on the dogs and splines and put it all back together,
I've never done this when a wrench was new, but when I've done this after some years (maybe due to breakage), there was always sufficient lubricant on the parts. I don't believe more lubrication would generally prevent failure due to excessive torque.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

You can do nearly everything with one tool box load. I gave up tool collecting generations ago—it’s just a waste of ego.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

runwyrlph wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:57 pm My grandpa was a mechanic, he told me when I was a boy to always take apart a new ratchet and grease the internal splines. I always do that the first thing and even cheap ratchets last a long time. Most have a snap ring or spiral spring to remove, then the ratchet part just drops out of the handle. Smear some grease on the dogs and splines and put it all back together,
Great idea!

Mahalo
j🌺
Fat Tails

Post by Fat Tails »

I have found ratcheting wrenches to be very useful. Just make sure to get the swivel head type.

Also, if you can store your sockets by size it will save you a lot of time looking for the correct size.

Cheers :beer
“Doing well with money has little to do with how smart you are and a lot to do with how you behave.” - Morgan Housel
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Great accessory to a ratchet drive/socket set.

Torque sticks.
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com/VCT-TORQUE-EXTEN ... 2386328354
Also available at Harbor Frieght.
Not used that often but when you need it, great!
Use for torquing lug nuts back on.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Here's an example of buying the tools only when you need them. Otherwise you buy and waste money on things you never use.
In this case, I needed very deep sockets for a 1/4 inch drive set and also needed to stack some extensions and swivels to get at some tricky mechanical innards.
I went to Harbor Freight and they had them, great prices.

This is a 700 cc Yamaha motor output innards. There were some oil cooling system leaks and they needed to be resealed as well as some other things. Vehicle is a Yamaha UTV.

PeterH

Post by PeterH »

I've been doing most of my own car repairs for over 40 years now. I've done everything from rebuilding engines to replacing suspension components and changing the oil.

I'm changing up my collection of air wrenches, replacing them with battery-powered units. The battery tools are, quieter, more nimble in the hand, and way more portable than their pneumatic counterparts. I can take them to a salvage yard or to a friend's home to work on their car. It's not a complete range of power, but the 600 foot-pounds of force my 1/2" drive Ryobi One+ impact wrench puts out can break a head bolt loose. When I do need a 1200 foot-pound breaker wrench for a flywheel bolt or somesuch, I'll borrow an air gun or buy a corded unit.

Here's what I bought A Ryobi 1/2" 600 foot-pound impact wrench to replace my 1/2" air tool, Ryobi's lightweight impact driver with a pair of 1/4" and 3/8" drive adapters to replace my 3/8 impact wrench, and their long-neck power ratchet to take the place of my 3/8" air ratchet.

I'm also firmly in the camp of thinking you don't need 1/4" or 3/8" impact-rated sockets, just a set of 1/2" impact and sockets. My 1/2" drive impact sockets cover every size I need from 11mm to 32mm. Any nut or bolt smaller than that would shear off or strip the threads strip long before their corresponding thin-wall socket cracks.

I do like impact swivel adapters in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" drive sizes. (Way, way better than the old universal joint drivers and wobble-head socket extensions I grew up with.) My socket extensions, hex/Allen key and Torx drivers and drive size adapters are mostly impact-rated, too.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

twh wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm I really miss the Craftsman of old. Great tools, decent price, easy exchange, easy to buy. New Craftsman are not the same.

If you want an occasionally tool set, most of what is mentioned is fine and Amazon is great for them.

I would not do HF myself except for a tool I might only use once.

If you really want good tools, you need one of the not easy to access brands. When I buy a high use tool, I now buy Stahlwille or Gedore or Hazet.
Harbor Freight of the last couple of years is a very different place than even 5 years ago. They’ve moved pretty decisively up-market offering now two grades of quality above what used to be their “standard.” Not all of it is a great value, but the high grade stuff (“ICON” for hand tools) is pretty good. I have a few Icon items, and they are a step above the Craftsman and Tekton stuff I have.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

tetractys wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:02 pm You can do nearly everything with one tool box load. I gave up tool collecting generations ago—it’s just a waste of ego.
Only if “nearly everything” is a pretty limited list. I don’t collect tools just to collect them, but I’m up to three rolling tool chests to do the jobs I’ve wanted to do over the years.
twh

Post by twh »

Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:16 pm Great accessory to a ratchet drive/socket set.

Torque sticks.
Amazon.com
I'm not sure you realize, but these are only for use with an impact wrench -- air or electric. These aren't spec'ed to be used with a hand ratchet.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

twh wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:30 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:16 pm Great accessory to a ratchet drive/socket set.

Torque sticks.
Amazon.com
I'm not sure you realize, but these are only for use with an impact wrench -- air or electric. These aren't spec'ed to be used with a hand ratchet.
Of course🌺🌺🌺🌺🌺
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

Sandtrap wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:08 pm
Sandtrap: I don't know about you, but I like having wrench rolls to store my wrenches, and something to organize and store my sockets. That way I always know if I am missing something at the end of a job, and makes it easier to find the desired socket or wrench. I made some trays to hold my old Craftsman sockets. Easy to retrieve sockets and put away. I don't care for the rails that hold sockets. And have since bought socket sets in a plastic container.

I wonder how many women have commented on the thread?
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
twh

Post by twh »

The darn chests are just so expensive. But, I just got tired of not being able to find a tool I knew I had in one of the several tool boxes or storage areas. Bought one chest combo on sale and then another I saw on craigslist. Now I always know where to find what I need. Even my wife said I should I bought one sooner :)
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

twh wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:20 pm The darn chests are just so expensive. But, I just got tired of not being able to find a tool I knew I had in one of the several tool boxes or storage areas. Bought one chest combo on sale and then another I saw on craigslist. Now I always know where to find what I need. Even my wife said I should I bought one sooner :)
This is something I think about. A nice tool chest would help me consolidate everything into one spot, but I am getting older and have more money, and my motivation to work on cars, etc is dropping. On the other hand, since I have more money, I now just buy some tools to make life easier; and some tools are really handy to have. When I need to do stuff around the house now, it is so nice to have the right tool to do the job, rather than making do with something that is ill suited for the task at hand.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

I have a picture of the Husky socket (left) vs. modern Craftsman socket (right). I can't seem to upload the picture, but it shows the husky socket is "long", but it doesn't have enough space inside to be an actual "deep well". It's basically a fake deep-well. I suggest avoiding husky at least for deep well.

I otherwise consider sockets mostly interchangeable, so I make choices on usability, especially easily telling the sizes. I have had good luck with Kobalt sockets and really like how the metric ones have a blue stripe and regular have a red stripe. The modern Craftsman also have nice big laser etched numbers on them (my old Craftsman have terribly hard to read roll markings). I suppose the ultimate in visual usability would be those sets where each socket is a different color, but that's a little too much for my taste and I assume the coating will wear off. So overall I'm pretty happy with the modern Craftsman with the giant numbers.
twh

Post by twh »

I've got some newer (last 10 years maybe) Craftsman sockets that don't have the interior ribs all the way to the bottom of the socket. Just garbage. I've also got at least one newer socket (last 5 years) that don't fit the old Craftsman socket plastic cutout organizer. That is, the new socket is wider than the socket which was sold at the time I bought the socket plastic cutout organizer. All these things make it cheaper to make a socket. But, if it doesn't fit, that's just junk.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Thanks for the all the suggestions. Over the years I've accumulated so many tools I wonder sometimes how much I've spent on them. I always thought that highly organized tool collections were a sign of obsession, so I went the opposite way and obsessed about other things. As a result I could never find the tool I needed, so in frustration, whenever I really needed a particular tool quickly I would go out and buy another one.

We've moved twice in the last three years, once about 2,500 miles and more recently 225 miles within the same state. Each time, because of an impending deadline, I packed up all the tools and transported them to the new location. Now that we'll never move again I finally got organized and as a result, loaded up the truck with all my excess tools and donated them to Habitat for Humanity, or at least the ones my grandkids didn't want. I also gave away some expensive power tools in great condition that could be put to better use by younger relatives, namely Milwaukee, Bosch, and Dewalt brands of portaband, impact drills, hammer drills, 1/2" 90 degree whole hog drill, tile saws, etc.

Socket sets were the worst victims of my disorganization, with several broken plastic boxes, mostly empty, that used to provide some form of organization, in theory at least. I still have a lot of tools, but only one of each now, and I've given so many socket sets away that I now need a single set of the type suggested on this thread, housed in a single box in one location. I just installed 7 muscle racks of various sizes in our new garage to house everything, and they're only about 1/2 full.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Muscle-Rack ... /305553549

I'll be better this time. Honest :wink: .

The moral of this story: Don't be me. If you find yourself buying tools because you can't find the old ones, clear things out and give the duplicates to a charity like Habitat for Humanity, or pass them on to a younger generation who will put them to good use.