Personal computer ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rramaswa

Personal computer ?

Post by rramaswa »

Hello,
I am shopping for a personal computer. I own a 2016 Yoga Lenova computer. The screen is showing it wont last long.
I am not a apple MAC user.
Was hoping if the forum can help with some suggestions.
My friend suggested Dell XPS 13.
Any thought?
Budget is between $1000-2000
Thanks
Regards
McCharley

Re: Personal computer ?

Post by McCharley »

You might find Wirecutter's recent review to be helpful:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... t-laptops/

Your friend's suggestion was their #1 pick! :beer

I have the same laptop, and I must say that it is really quite good. The machine is very thin and high-quality (like a Mac). Battery life is phenomenal. The only real downside is that it has only USB-C ports (and a headphone jack), so if you need more ports you'll need to look at something other than an Ultrabook.

If you don't need a laptop you could save money by going for a desktop machine, but I assumed you wanted a laptop given what you had.
rage_phish

Post by rage_phish »

You’ll need to include what you use it for
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

+1 XPS13. We have two. Both were purchased a few years apart from Costco while they were on sale.
ddbtoth

Post by ddbtoth »

Look into the Dell refurbished models- especially in early summer when the college kids turn them back in after finals.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ddbtoth wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:03 pm Look into the Dell refurbished models- especially in early summer when the college kids turn them back in after finals.
My latest Dell laptop is six months old now, but already showing some wear and tear. My MBPs did too after a fairly short time. The keys, pad, etc. take a beating when they're used so much, and of course everybody eats and drinks when they're using their laptop. So while I've bought a bunch (ten?) of dell refurbs, including laptops, over the years, now I'd only buy the leftovers or latest model returns from the Dell Outlet, not actually previously-used (for more than a few days) lease returns.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

rage_phish wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 pm You’ll need to include what you use it for
This.

You might be able to get away with something like a Chromebook. Or your needs might actually make a jump to the Mac world something to consider.

You might need a laptop, or you might be able to go with a more-bang-for-the-buck desktop or mini unit. You might need tons of built-in ports, or maybe not.

Heck, I'm a computer dork, yet probably 33% of what I use a computer for I can do on an old iPad these days.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

rramaswa wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:01 pm My friend suggested Dell XPS 13.
Any thought?
Your friend is wise. You should listen.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I recently upgraded from a 13.3" MacBook Air to the 14.2" MacBook Pro. I wouldn't go back to a 13" laptop unless you area almost permanently tethered to an external monitor. I would look to see what's in the PC world in the 14" range. It does look like there are several in the Lenovo family.