Where to buy DVDs for bargain prices?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
miamivice

Where to buy DVDs for bargain prices?

Post by miamivice »

I've seen some threads on here about people unloading collections of CDs, often collected by themselves years ago or by their parents who have now passed (condolences).

Curious if anyone knows where I can buy DVDs for bargain prices? Like CDs, DVDs have fallen out of popularity with the advancement of streaming technology. Curious if there are places that I can buy large quantities of DVDs for good prices. Not sure I will but I would like to look into it some more. Would prefer to buy a collection than piecemeal, but want a collection of "good" movies rather than "B-rated" movies.
cheese_breath

Re: Where to buy DVDs for bargain prices?

Post by cheese_breath »

Resale shops. ?

Salvation Army stores?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Go to a library, they are usually selling used stuff. Unless you are in a bigger city, you may not have that big of a quantity though.
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Pawn shop
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Not super helpful, but I am a garage sale visitor. I see thousands of DVDs and CDs for pennies at most of them.

Post by 123 »

miamivice wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:41 pm ...Curious if there are places that I can buy large quantities of DVDs for good prices...
There are sellers on https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... d&_sacat=0 that offer lots of 40+ used DVDs at attractive prices. Looks to be grab bags of who knows what. Perhaps you could contact one of the sellers and get quantity prices for 100+ with a guarantee of no duplicates. If you want to be selective you likely will have to visit thrift shops, used book stores, and maybe "Friends of the Library sales" to see if something strikes your fancy. If you're selective costs per DVD will be much higher.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Thrift shops, eBay.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Garage sales, Facebook Marketplace. $.05 to tops $1.50/ea.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

eBay is the place. Include the words bulk or lot in your search.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

runninginvestor wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:48 pm Go to a library, they are usually selling used stuff. Unless you are in a bigger city, you may not have that big of a quantity though.
But as a caution, I've had DVDs from libraries that were scratched and had play errors. I guess some people don't treat the borrowed DVDs very nicely as there were often visible scratches on the DVDs.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Garage sales for sure. Never more than a buck for a DVD and lots of time you can make an offer on the entire bunch and they will gladly accept.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Da5id wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:10 pm
runninginvestor wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:48 pm Go to a library, they are usually selling used stuff. Unless you are in a bigger city, you may not have that big of a quantity though.
But as a caution, I've had DVDs from libraries that were scratched and had play errors. I guess some people don't treat the borrowed DVDs very nicely as there were often visible scratches on the DVDs.
I've had the same issue when borrowing DVDs from the active circulation of any library of which I've been a member and that's definitely the case with me, especially when we had the cheap Best Buy Insignia brand DVD player.

I have gotten some good ones at the Goodwill, including Interstellar recently.