Car dealer cancelled maintenance plan - how to get money back

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Samskil

Car dealer cancelled maintenance plan - how to get money back

Post by Samskil »

We're located in Austin, TX and bought a 2019 Kia Forte EX about two years ago. Unfortunately the dealer was able to talk us into purchasing a maintenance plan for $890. When I took the car for the first maintenance appointment I was told the plan was cancelled (and I wasn't able to use it). The person in the service department recommended talking to the company that administers the plan. When I called them they told me that someone at the Kia dealership had cancelled the plan (they only could give me a first name and the date when it was cancelled).

Long story short, it turns out that the person at the dealership cancelled the plan by mistake but the dealership has not made any effort to fix the problem since then. I talked to the finance manager a couple of times on the phone, he said he'd call me back but never did. I visited the dealership, talked to the finance manager again, he found out who cancelled the plan, said they'll try to reinstate the contract or if that is not possible I'll get a refund. This was over a year ago. Every time I called I was told I'll get a call back but never did. I then started sending emails to have documentation in writing, never received any email responses. I recently tried the dealership chat feature and the customer support agent said he'll pass it on to a manager and I'll hear back in a few days. Didn't happen (I saved the chat). I also wrote two actual letters to Kia Corporate, but never got a response from them either (I mentioned that this dealership is destroying the brand reputation and specifically asked them to help resolving the issue, gave them the name of the manager and all the details).

Anyone has a recommendation for the next best step. I know I can report the dealership to the BBB and the attorney generals office and leave bad reviews on social media and review sites. Would discussing the matter with a lawyer be worth it or is that too late after two years? Unfortunately I do't have a lot of time these days and would like to spend as little time as possible but it is almost $900 so I'd like that money back.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.
Jags4186

Re: Car dealer cancelled maintenance plan - how to get money back

Post by Jags4186 »

Why not contact the general manager of the dealership? Find out when he’s there and see him in persons. This seems like an easy fix — just honor the maintenance plan or give you back $890.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Others will tell you to see a lawyer, etc. That is good advice.

What would I do?

1. Send a letter certified mail return receipt requested to the general manager of the dealership. In first paragraph, Explain what happened in no more than four sentences. Include dates and a copy of your contract. In second paragraph, include your demand — a check for the full cost of the contract to be mailed to you for receipt within 21 days of receipt of letter. Use something like the following sentence as a third paragraph: “If a full refund via check is not received within 21 days, I will seek relief immediately thereafter through small claims court.”

2. Wait. If you like, when you get the green receipt card back, wait a week and then call GM to follow up. Document call. Listen to promises but don’t believe them. If he says check is in the mail, ask him for the tracking number. If he says he needs more time to research, tell him no, your timeline is your timeline and they had months already to get to the bottom of this. If he says come pick up a check, tell him to send one of his idle salespeople to your house to deliver it.

3. Sue dealer in small claims if you don’t get your refund. Ask the clerk of court for help in filing requirements. You want the refund plus interest plus filing fees. In most places you can pay extra for the sheriff to serve the suit — do so.

Play hardball. Do not just go away. Enjoy nabbing the dealer and getting justice.
Last edited by 8foot7 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernInvestor

Post by SouthernInvestor »

Personality permitting, go in on Saturday when the dealership is busy and be loud about it. Personality permitting, that's a lot faster and more effective than small claims court.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Samskil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm Anyone has a recommendation for the next best step. I know I can report the dealership to the BBB and the attorney generals office and leave bad reviews on social media and review sites. Would discussing the matter with a lawyer be worth it or is that too late after two years? Unfortunately I do't have a lot of time these days and would like to spend as little time as possible but it is almost $900 so I'd like that money back.
You don't really "report" a business to the BBB. They don't police businesses or have any enforcement mechanism against them but instead try to facilitate voluntary dispute resolution. You are not punishing the business somehow by doing it. It's a really good idea though for this kind of situation; sometimes it does grab attention from a business that was hard to get before. Don't mention courts or lawyers in your complaint however or they will duck out of helping resolve it.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

Thanks everyone for the quick replies and advice. I actually tried to identify the GM but wasn't able to do so. The "meet our staff" page online appears to be outdated and people on the phone would not transfer me through to the GM. I'll try the certified mail next. Thanks again.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

@makerfile, thanks for the clarification about the BBB.
Deadkins

Post by Deadkins »

Most efficient thing to do is contact your local TV news stations. Everyone of them has a consumer reporter that would love this kind of a story.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You bought a maintenance plan two years ago and just attempted to use it for the first time? I hope you've been getting the dinosaur juice swapped out elsewhere.

I would make one last attempt via certified letter, addressed to the owner or the high priestess of the dealership. State what you want them to do in the first sentence, and don't make any threats. If that doesn't work, it's lawsuit time.
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

Find out who the registered agent of the dealership is. Most states have an online business lookup tool via its Secretary of State that is available to the public. This should list the type of entity, registered agent, and the agent’s address (along with recent filing information). I’d use that address for your certified letter.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Can the maintenance plan be used at another dealership? (i.e. is this analogous to your doctor quitting an HMO's network or was it specific to this dealer)
What do the terms and conditions of the plan say?
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:05 pm You bought a maintenance plan two years ago and just attempted to use it for the first time? I hope you've been getting the dinosaur juice swapped out elsewhere.

I would make one last attempt via certified letter, addressed to the owner or the high priestess of the dealership. State what you want them to do in the first sentence, and don't make any threats. If that doesn't work, it's lawsuit time.
Ha ha, no I have taken in the car for the regular maintenance per the manual. First time was six months after the purchase. That's when I learned that the plan was cancelled (so I paid for the maintenance, assuming the issue would get resolved rather quickly as it was obvious to me that a mistake had been made by the dealership). I've just been trying to get them to fix it since then and it now has been two years.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

Makefile wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:17 pm Can the maintenance plan be used at another dealership? (i.e. is this analogous to your doctor quitting an HMO's network or was it specific to this dealer)
Unfortunately the plan can only be used at this particular dealership and because they cancelled it I assume there's not really a contract anymore.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

gac1979 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:11 pm Find out who the registered agent of the dealership is. Most states have an online business lookup tool via its Secretary of State that is available to the public. This should list the type of entity, registered agent, and the agent’s address (along with recent filing information). I’d use that address for your certified letter.
Great, thank you!
beyou

Post by beyou »

Not that this is helpful for your situation...but this just re-affirms my preference to avoid buying pre-paid anything, and avoid any extras from car dealers. I buy the car, and when I see the finance manager, I make it clear that NO MATTER WHAT HE HAS TO SELL THE ANWER IS NO, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE PITCH. I don't give reasons, just make it clear the answer is no and let's get on with things.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Samskil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:31 pm
Makefile wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:17 pm Can the maintenance plan be used at another dealership? (i.e. is this analogous to your doctor quitting an HMO's network or was it specific to this dealer)
Unfortunately the plan can only be used at this particular dealership and because they cancelled it I assume there's not really a contract anymore.
OK. So the contract really doesn't foresee the idea of a dealership deciding not to participate anymore before the term is up?

I'm not sure I would jump immediately to a lawsuit. Try BBB. If nothing else, it's free, where certified mail isn't.
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

Makefile wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:35 pm
OK. So the contract really doesn't foresee the idea of a dealership deciding not to participate anymore before the term is up?

I'm not sure I would jump immediately to a lawsuit. Try BBB. If nothing else, it's free, where certified mail isn't.
BBB could be a great option or a poor one. Check out the dealership’s BBB rating and look at the complaints. If they are resolved, then the likelihood of this being a good option increases. If the dealership gets complaints and fails to respond, then it may not be worth your time.
Last edited by gac1979 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

SouthernInvestor wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:48 pm Personality permitting, go in on Saturday when the dealership is busy and be loud about it. Personality permitting, that's a lot faster and more effective than small claims court.
If being loudly obnoxious isn't you an alternative is to be quietly obnoxious by picketing the dealership. A simple sign like "Kia doesn't honor sales agreements" could work. Busy times on Saturday gives you the most leverage.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Buford T Justice

Post by Buford T Justice »

State Attorney General's Consumer Affairs unit?
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

Makefile wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:35 pm

Correct, the contract was cancelled by mistake. They acknowledged that verbally when I talked to the finance manager in person. that's when he said, they'll try to reinstate it or if that is not possible, I'd get a refund. Unfortunately I don't have that in writing.
Watty

Post by Watty »

The process varies by where you live but you can file a claim in small claims court without a lawyer. Once that is filed they will take it seriously and resolve it.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

beyou wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:33 pm Not that this is helpful for your situation...but this just re-affirms my preference to avoid buying pre-paid anything, and avoid any extras from car dealers. I buy the car, and when I see the finance manager, I make it clear that NO MATTER WHAT HE HAS TO SELL THE ANWER IS NO, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE PITCH. I don't give reasons, just make it clear the answer is no and let's get on with things.
Yes, I learned my lesson. Only reason we went with it was that it seemed convenient to pay at the time as we had the money and then not having to worry about regular maintenance check cost for the next 75k miles. Never again.
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

Try a local television news station that has reporters that help people get their problems resolved against various companies. Nothing like bad publicity on tv to get a company to fix the problem.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

When you went for the first service appointment, did you still get the service you expected (oil change, etc?). If so, and when you were told that the service agreement had been cancelled, did you still pay for the service?

If you don’t get any satisfaction from the dealership GM, why not just schedule a bunch of service appointments, get your service done, and then refuse to pay for the service while claiming that you didn’t cancel the contract and have no written record of the contract being cancelled?
Most experiences are better imagined.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

8foot7 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:45 pm Others will tell you to see a lawyer, etc. That is good advice.
I can't see getting an attorney involved for $890.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Samskil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm We're located in Austin, TX and bought a 2019 Kia Forte EX about two years ago. Unfortunately the dealer was able to talk us into purchasing a maintenance plan for $890. When I took the car for the first maintenance appointment I was told the plan was cancelled (and I wasn't able to use it). The person in the service department recommended talking to the company that administers the plan. When I called them they told me that someone at the Kia dealership had cancelled the plan (they only could give me a first name and the date when it was cancelled).

Long story short, it turns out that the person at the dealership cancelled the plan by mistake but the dealership has not made any effort to fix the problem since then. I talked to the finance manager a couple of times on the phone, he said he'd call me back but never did. I visited the dealership, talked to the finance manager again, he found out who cancelled the plan, said they'll try to reinstate the contract or if that is not possible I'll get a refund. This was over a year ago. Every time I called I was told I'll get a call back but never did. I then started sending emails to have documentation in writing, never received any email responses. I recently tried the dealership chat feature and the customer support agent said he'll pass it on to a manager and I'll hear back in a few days. Didn't happen (I saved the chat). I also wrote two actual letters to Kia Corporate, but never got a response from them either (I mentioned that this dealership is destroying the brand reputation and specifically asked them to help resolving the issue, gave them the name of the manager and all the details).

Anyone has a recommendation for the next best step. I know I can report the dealership to the BBB and the attorney generals office and leave bad reviews on social media and review sites. Would discussing the matter with a lawyer be worth it or is that too late after two years? Unfortunately I do't have a lot of time these days and would like to spend as little time as possible but it is almost $900 so I'd like that money back.

So you've let this drag on for two years now??

I'd recommend that you either chalk it up as one of life's unpleasant lessons and move on or sue the dealership in small claims court in the county where they are located.

At this point, anything else is just a waste of time.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

gac1979 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:41 pm BBB could be a great option or a poor one. Check out the dealership’s BBB rating and look at the complaints. If they are resolved, then the likelihood of this being a good option increases. If the dealership gets complaints and fails to respond, then it may not be worth your time.
In my experience small claims court is very much at the whim of the judge that day. An unanswered BBB complaint might itself tilt things OP's way.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

galawdawg wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:29 pm
Samskil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm We're located in Austin, TX and bought a 2019 Kia Forte EX about two years ago. Unfortunately the dealer was able to talk us into purchasing a maintenance plan for $890. When I took the car for the first maintenance appointment I was told the plan was cancelled (and I wasn't able to use it). The person in the service department recommended talking to the company that administers the plan. When I called them they told me that someone at the Kia dealership had cancelled the plan (they only could give me a first name and the date when it was cancelled).

So you've let this drag on for two years now??

I'd recommend that you either chalk it up as one of life's unpleasant lessons and move on or sue the dealership in small claims court in the county where they are located.

At this point, anything else is just a waste of time.
I admit, I have let it drag out for too long. I learned about the issue with the cancelled plan at the beginning of the pandemic and had to focus on more important things at the time and let too much time pass in-between the various phone calls and emails.
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

Random Poster wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm When you went for the first service appointment, did you still get the service you expected (oil change, etc?). If so, and when you were told that the service agreement had been cancelled, did you still pay for the service?

If you don’t get any satisfaction from the dealership GM, why not just schedule a bunch of service appointments, get your service done, and then refuse to pay for the service while claiming that you didn’t cancel the contract and have no written record of the contract being cancelled?
Yes, I got the service and decided to pay for it thinking that I'll then use the plan for the next ten appointments. Not expecting that it would turn into such a hassle.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

The dealer's been stringing you along for 18 months now, they know exactly what they're doing and are hoping you'll just go away.

Going to court is the only way you're going to get satisfaction. It's up to you whether it's worth it.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

Similar situation. Walked straight into the finance managers office while he was with another customer and made a scene. After some personal insults, they quickly took care of my issue.

As a poster above mentioned, it requires an ability to crank up the personality. I agree. However, it’s not right. Honor your word, and I don’t have to make a scene.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Sorry, but your relationship in this contract is with the third party company.
The dealership is just the sales agent.

This is what you will be told when you finally get to legal.

So, the problem is—specifically—why does the dealership no longer want to deal with this third party?

That is a question best answered by the dealership, yes…but you suit for damages for non-performance is going to be against the third party company…unless and until you can prove that the dealership had prior knowledge of its intent to not honor the maintenance plan.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Sorry, but your relationship in this contract is with the third party company.
The dealership is just the sales agent.

This is what you will be told when you finally get to legal.

So, the problem is—specifically—why does the dealership no longer want to deal with this third party?

That is a question best answered by the dealership, yes…but you suit for damages for non-performance is going to be against the third party company…unless and until you can prove that the dealership had prior knowledge of its intent to not honor the maintenance plan.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Random Poster wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:58 pm If you don’t get any satisfaction from the dealership GM, why not just schedule a bunch of service appointments, get your service done, and then refuse to pay for the service while claiming that you didn’t cancel the contract and have no written record of the contract being cancelled?
If you did that the car might be tied up in litigation, unavailable to you, for the foreseeable future.
investorpeter

Post by investorpeter »

Sorry, but this is crazy. You paid for a maintenance contract and then they cancelled it without giving you a refund, and then you continued going to the same dealership for maintenance and paid for the maintenance service for almost 2 years?! That just sounds like such a bizarre situation. How many times have they serviced your vehicle? Do you have a copy of the maintenance contract? Do you have written confirmation that the contract was cancelled? Are you sure it is not still in effect? You really need to go to the dealership and make a scene and get some clarity on the exact timing of a refund. The fact that this has gone on for 2 years does not work in your favor. I would still pursue with renewed vigor. I don’t think I would have the fortitude to NOT make a scene every time I walked into that dealership. Either they honor the contract, or they give you a refund. It could just be some administrative error due to incompetence either from the dealership or the third party insurer, but the dealership sold you the contract, so they need to make it right. There’s no way I would even consider chalking this up to a lesson learned. On principle, I would probably spend more time and effort on this than it would be worth. First step is make a fuss at dealership, threatening to go to media with suspicion this could be a systematic scheme they have to defraud customers, if you don’t get a refund immediately. Meanwhile, I would file complaints with BBB, state attorney general, and any other entity that might have oversight. Next step would actually be very loud complaints on social media, and even contacting local news - maybe there is a “on your side” type of consumer news segment in your area. There could be other customers in the same situation. Final step would be legal, likely a claim in small claims court.

Edit: I did some googling and it seems there are two Kia dealerships in Austin, one in South Austin and one in North Austin. It seems they are both under the same owner, and it does seem like the owner responds to the Google reviews, some at recently as 1 week ago. So before going there in person, I would start with a phone call and if no response within a day, then I would leave a scathing Google review describing the same facts you have here. If no response from owner, then I would visit the dealership. Then social media complaints on Twitter. More poor reviews. Complaints with regulatory authorities. Then legal options.
Jim Beaux

Post by Jim Beaux »

Gryphon wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:28 pm The dealer's been stringing you along for 18 months now, they know exactly what they're doing and are hoping you'll just go away.

Going to court is the only way you're going to get satisfaction. It's up to you whether it's worth it.
I suspect you are being played. These guys will say one thing and do the other.

We bought a new Santa Fe last March for her and we titled it in her name. The F&I guy tried to ignore me & treated me like I was intruding. He tried to rush us and became agitated and forceful because when he would hand the wife a paper to sign, I would take it too and read it.

When he tried to include the warranty I adamantly rejected it & told him I wont discuss it. Peeved him.

So when things started to wrap up I went outside and while I was out, he told my wife "Im sorry, but understand I have to present this warranty to you" :x :x

I didnt learn about this until a week or two later. You can bet I would have reacted very bad :annoyed :annoyed :annoyed if I found that he had deceived me.

Hyndai has a 100K mile limited warranty and selling an extended warranty on top of it is criminal.

BTW I tried the BBB route once. It is a marketing gimmick. It has no teeth. If a member is involved you have no chance. They can only make recommendations.
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

In these instances I like use a top down and a bottom up approach at the same time.

Bottom Up: Sounds like you are doing this. Talk to the GM of the dealership. Be cordial but request all communication to go thru him/her with agreed upon update timelines and method (email/phone/etc)

Top Down: Reach out to the corporate office of the auto maker. Even though the agreement isn’t theirs they should have a vested interest in keeping their dealerships in good standing from a public perception standpoint. Again, keep a calm head about it and follow up with that representative in writing with all the factual information you have at this point. I’ve had to do this on an occasion or two for unrelated reasons and I’ve always found them to be helpful far beyond what a dealership would do.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Two thoughts:

1) Credit card dispute (unlikely OP paid with credit card, but I figure it's a possibility). Updating: given this was two years ago, probably not going to work.
2) Is maintenance plan an insurance contract, offered / backed by an insurance company? If so take this to the state Insurance Commissioner ... just because somebody fat-fingered a policy cancellation doesn't necessarily mean you are left without any coverage.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Samskil wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm Anyone has a recommendation for the next best step.
I've found that I can sometimes get action by visiting the business premises and complaining loudly about the mistreatment in front of other customers.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I'd send a letter to Corporate.

https://www.kiamedia.com/us/en/executives
Topic Author
Samskil

Post by Samskil »

I know it's been a while but I wanted to post a quick "thank you" note to everyone on this thread who provided advice and suggestions. Based on the feedback I received here I had sent a couple of letters to Kia Corporate (never received a response) as well as another letter to the dealership. I gave them a deadline and mentioned that I'll contact the local TV news station and will take legal actions should I not get a refund. They did let the deadline expire but eventually I received a check over the amount I had paid for the maintenance plan. So thank you everyone for your help. It took some time and work but I'm glad I got my money back and obviously I won't purchase any maintenance plans in the future.
Brianmcg321

Post by Brianmcg321 »

Samskil wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 pm I know it's been a while but I wanted to post a quick "thank you" note to everyone on this thread who provided advice and suggestions. Based on the feedback I received here I had sent a couple of letters to Kia Corporate (never received a response) as well as another letter to the dealership. I gave them a deadline and mentioned that I'll contact the local TV news station and will take legal actions should I not get a refund. They did let the deadline expire but eventually I received a check over the amount I had paid for the maintenance plan. So thank you everyone for your help. It took some time and work but I'm glad I got my money back and obviously I won't purchase any maintenance plans in the future.
Great to hear.
Rules to investing: | 1. Don't lose money. | 2. Don't forget rule number 1.
j9j

Post by j9j »

Samskil wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:48 pm I know it's been a while but I wanted to post a quick "thank you" note to everyone on this thread who provided advice and suggestions. Based on the feedback I received here I had sent a couple of letters to Kia Corporate (never received a response) as well as another letter to the dealership. I gave them a deadline and mentioned that I'll contact the local TV news station and will take legal actions should I not get a refund. They did let the deadline expire but eventually I received a check over the amount I had paid for the maintenance plan. So thank you everyone for your help. It took some time and work but I'm glad I got my money back and obviously I won't purchase any maintenance plans in the future.
Glad you did not give up and even better, got a good outcome. Car dealers and only one notch better that insurance companies.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Better Business Bureau.

Local representatives.

Attorney General.

Newspaper!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Excellent!

I also agree with your lesson about not buying maintenance plans in the future. I don't even think the contract would be worth reading or considering, much less paying for. They've put plenty of thought into how these are money-makers for the dealership. I'm not ready for a fight like that.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:50 pm
Excellent!

I also agree with your lesson about not buying maintenance plans in the future. I don't even think the contract would be worth reading or considering, much less paying for. They've put plenty of thought into how these are money-makers for the dealership. I'm not ready for a fight like that.
I purchased one for a leased Hyundai and it has worked well.

Incredible story nonetheless.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I’d still give them a factual (=bad) review on Google and whatever other site I could find them.
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Go there Saturday morning and refuse to leave until you have a check. Raise heck and make a lot of noise if necessary.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.