Tires For a New Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sport

Tires For a New Car

Post by sport »

I have just experienced driving in snow with a set of Michelin Crossclimate2 tires and I am very favorably impressed. This got me to wondering. If I buy a new car, a Toyota for instance, how would I go about getting the tires I want rather than whatever is standard on that vehicle? Would a car dealer swap them out for me, or would I need to go to a tire shop? If I have a choice, which would be most cost effective? Does anyone have experience with this scenario?

Edited to correct tire name.
Last edited by sport on Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
snackdog

Re: Tires For a New Car

Post by snackdog »

Depends on the dealer. Never hurts to ask.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

A dealer will do anything to get a sale, but will also charge you for it. Everything is negotiable. I had a Discount Tire pay me $150 for 3 tires that had about 11,000 miles on them that I had bought elsewhere. The 4th tire was damaged beyond use. I write this to say that a tire shop should give you a significant discount for your original tires as should the dealer.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

No clue of the dealer would cover the cost to replace the tires but if not I sell all our used tires on Facebook marketplace. I have always at least gotten something for fairly used tires.
VGisforme

Post by VGisforme »

Do you mean the Cross Climate 2?

I’m obsessed with that tire and want to put them on my wife’s Pilot. Recommended them to my father in law and he’s enjoying them. The tire science has come very far to get an all season tire achieve a 3 peak snow rating.

It won’t perform like a true winter tire but much better than most all seasons. I run a full winter tire on my large RWD sedan (Michelin XIce Xi3 which has been replaced by the XIce Snow).

It doesn’t hurt to ask the dealer for a credit towards the tires you want many OEM tires are inferior even to the same make and model retail tire so you will likely need to pay some difference.

Discount Tire would be another choice to see if they’d purchase you OEM tires.
dillybob

Post by dillybob »

Buy used, and get all 4 for $400~ @ Les Schwab with a 50-75k warranty

Don't have to deal with the wait time at a dealer, or their bogus upselling and garbage managerial personalities. And you save $

Buy more shares with the savings
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Very unlikely a dealer will swap tires on a new car for you.
Other potential solutions include:
- search for recent 'takeoff' wheels and tires locally
- buy your new tires and sell the old ones when they are demounted
- use internet and shop for desired tires shipped to your installer
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

VGisforme wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:30 am Do you mean the Cross Climate 2?
Yes. Thanks for the correction. :beer
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

smitcat wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:32 am Very unlikely a dealer will swap tires on a new car for you.
Other potential solutions include:
- search for recent 'takeoff' wheels and tires locally
- buy your new tires and sell the old ones when they are demounted
- use internet and shop for desired tires shipped to your installer
+3

I generally don't like the all season Bridgestone's that are OEM on Toyotas so I just go to our local tire dealer - Mavis Discount - and tell them what I want. We do go with snow tires in winter as we are both in healthcare, the Bridgestone Blizzak are quite good.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I’ve been down this road… it’s often a pain to get a dealer to do it before delivery unless sales are very slow. I found it more of a hassle but cheaper overall to just do it myself and sell the tires used.

BTW, if ou haven’t yet, for SUVs check out the new Michelin Crossclimate2. It’s an all season with the snowflake rating, just put these on our Pilot and quite impressed so far in ice/snow. Not quite an X-Ice but definately the best all season we have tried yet.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

sport wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:03 pm I have just experienced driving in snow with a set of Michelin Crossclimate2 tires and I am very favorably impressed. This got me to wondering. If I buy a new car, a Toyota for instance, how would I go about getting the tires I want rather than whatever is standard on that vehicle? Would a car dealer swap them out for me, or would I need to go to a tire shop? If I have a choice, which would be most cost effective?
Michelin Crossclimates are good, but nothing - and I mean nothing - beats a dedicated snow tire. If snow performance is important, buy a second set of tires and rims from tirerack.com and swap them our for November-March driving. It's probably not much more than the loss you'd suffer at the dealership from the unusual and costly request to swap out tires on a new vehicle.