What do you all pay for TV and internet? rates just went up

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dred pirate

What do you all pay for TV and internet? rates just went up

Post by dred pirate »

So - time for the every 2 year evaluate what we are paying for TV and see if there are better options.
My bill shot up from $135 to $216, so I made the "call and ask if there are better deals" phone call.
Was able to get it down to $165. This is a little painful for me - as 4 years ago we were only paying $104 a month for the same service.
This is with AT&T Uverse and includes TV and internet - no premium channels.
I am curious how this compares to others.
A few caveats of what we "need".
We don't do a lot of streaming - so only enough to stream Netflix on one screen at a time, so don't need super fast internet - just did a speed test and it was ~20mb.
Only "special stations" we need is access to Bally Sports southeast (For Carolina Hurricanes games) and the Big10 network for college football.
Other than that- basic cable/network TV covers our needs.
We now have access to google fiber for $70 a month, but I don't want a bunch of different streaming services - Just Neflix and if we have to - one for the NHL games.
Other options are Spectrum - which is running a $100 ish deal I believe (I need to look deeper into it)
I like the simplicity of just turning on the TB and scrolling through the channels with traditional cable (and similiar) services - willing a pay a little more for this convenience.
I don't want the 2 year promo and having to change to a different service every couple of years as it seems to take half a day or more for the new service people to come in an set up service. Obviously a promo that is a lot cheaper, and then the increase goes back to what we are now would be acceptable.
Interested in what others pay for something similar.

Cheers
DP
RJC

Re: What do you all pay for TV and internet? rates just went up

Post by RJC »

39.99 for 300/300 Fios internet and then a couple of streaming stations (e.g., Netflix, Disney+). Amazon Prime Video comes with Prime and HBO Max comes with our phone plan.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

The way to pay less for internet and TV is to be a disloyal customer. Sign up as a new customer every 12 months to get the new customer pricing. (This is easiest to do if you have a spouse, but can be done even for singles.) YMMV but I've done this with several different ISPs, a bit of work involved but it's always been well worth the savings.
Bogle7

Pay for TV and internet? Less than we used to.

Post by Bogle7 »

$55/mo for 80/40 Mbps internet from local telco. We have always had internet from them since 1998.
$125/mo for a nine streaming services. Wife watches them all.
The $125/mo is less than we were paying Comcrap 3 years ago.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

$40 for internet.

No TV. Occasionally sub to NetFlix/Amazon Prime/HBO for a month and binge watch a series. If one is not interested in live sports, bills are much lower :happy
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Go to https://suppose.tv

It will let you select channels you need and compare streaming services that have them.

Looks like your need of both Bally Sports Southeast (I only saw Bally Sports South as an option) and the Big Ten Network will make it expensive.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

$45/mo. for internet - 100/100 speed
$0 for TV; cut the cord a few years ago and don’t really miss it
I do have Amazon Prime but don’t really use the streaming feature much
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

$55 for internet. 30 down / 10 up.

No other costs. Hoopla from the library, Plex and Pluto, all free.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

We use an antenna for like 15-20 TV channels and pay for HBO Max and Amazon Prime stuff. We dropped Hulu and the in-laws dropped Netflix so we can't use their login anymore. For internet, we pay about $63/month for 100 Mbps up and down, which is enough bandwidth for two adults. I watch Youtube more than anything and DW just turns the TV on for background noise.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

$45 for 500/500 internet, and about $30 for streaming services. We rotate through them, watch what we want to watch, then cancel and go onto something else.

We canceled cable in 2011, when it went over $100. Put an antenna in the attic, and got a TiVo with lifetime service. Back then, we figured we could just buy the shows we wanted to watch, and it would be cheaper than paying for cable. We have honestly never missed the cable.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Was paying $100 for DSL. The TMobile Home Internet is working out good. $50/month.
twh

Post by twh »

1 Gbps fiber - $65/month (all in price: no extra fees, taxes and free modem)
Netflix - $17.99/month (going up a couple $ a month soon and there are cheaper plans)
YouTubeTV - $67.91/month
HBO Max subscription included with ATT Mobile plan
Amazon Prime Video included with Prime membership
had Apple TV free for a year due to last Apple purchase, that's gone now
Drewman

Post by Drewman »

$35.99 for fiber 25 down, 3up
only 1 tv to stream on
discover plus full year for $50
BuddyJet

Post by BuddyJet »

Do you have an over the air antenna for local stations? If not, your streaming costs could be higher with locals included.

Also, if you drop U-verse, you can not get it again since AT&T no longer allows signups for U-verse.
People say nothing is impossible. I do nothing all day.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

dred pirate wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 pm Interested in what others pay for something similar.
I don't see why what other pay for services is interesting, because only the choices actually available to you matter, and the availability and cost of conventional cable/fiber services are extremely location-dependent.

Maybe ask on a local forum - Nextdoor, etc.?
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I don't pay for "TV", I can get the major networks (and more) with an antennae, there's tons of online free stuff
Pluto.tv
Tubitv.com
Crackle.com
Plex.tv
hoopladigital.com ... as well as other resources from local library,
Youtube...
... and a whole lot of stuff out there that's pretty questionable as to whether or not it's legitimately licensed

As far as internet goes, DSL is $30 a month, and my 1gb/mo prepaid mobile phone plan is $99 a year.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Are you paying for equipment rental? It only took me 5 months to break even when I bought my own modem.
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

Nothing for internet. Though it's bundled into my condo association fee. I use my own router. I also have six Blu-ray discs out at a time from Netflix's physical DVD service. And yes, even though they only advertise up to three, you can get as many as you want. This costs me $43 a month (off the top of my head, I may be a buck or two too low or too high).

This way I've got a great show lined up every evening, high resolution. No buffering. And absolutely no potential for binge watching. One disc a night max. Plus I curate my queue so carefully, I am all set for the next 304 things I want to watch. That's how many items are in my queue!

Netflix has a lot more DVDs available for watching, the last I heard seven to eight times as many TV shows or movies, as compared to its streaming service. As for the new things on TV, they will end up as a DVD a year later. So there is that.... I do have to wait. I'm always a season behind everyone else
runner26

Post by runner26 »

$69.95 for 100/10 Spectrum internet.

My HOA has a proposal from Spectrum to provide 400/20 internet for $35.00 per house. All houses in the HOA will be required to pay the $35 through HOA dues. A 4% per year increase for the next 5 years is included in the contract. We will be voting soon. All other services will be contracted by the individuals with Spectrum separately. Spectrum will also give the HOA a $400,000 one-time kickback.

$123 for TV Silver package, including premiums like HBO and Showtime.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I have U-Verse too. My 12 month promo expired last month and the price jumped quite a bit. We used to have the U200 package, HBO Max, one extra receiver, and 300 Mbps Internet. With taxes and fees, the bill came to about $130.

I've called their retention department three times to try to get the bill lowered since the promo expired. They say there is no deal for the U-Verse TV right now. However, they upgraded my Internet service to 1000 Mbps, included HBO Max for free (a $10/month savings since we used to pay for it), and also gave $20/month off on the Internet. On my most recent call, they lowered the Internet cost once again by another $10. The Internet promo expires in 1 year.

So I'm currently paying $120 for U-200 Package (previously it was only $50!), $10 for the extra receiver (same as before), and $30 for 1000 Mbps with HBO included (we previously paid $45 for 300 Mbps Internet and an additional $10 for HBO). So it comes to $160 + tax/fees now vs $115 + taxes/fees before. Taxes and fees run about $20/month.

The rep I spoke with last did say that the U-Family plan is $28/month less but it doesn't include some of the the channels I watch so I decided to keep what I had.

They've tried to sell their Direct TV Streaming service to me as well. I watch The Tennis Channel quite a bit and their package which includes that channel costs $85 + taxes and fees. So it would come to right around $100 for the package I'd want, which wouldn't be much savings and would offer fewer channels than what I currently get.

Many of the other streaming services seem to have hiked up their prices too. For example, YouTube TV went up from $35/month a few years ago to $65/month and also dropped The Tennis Channel, so that option no longer works for me.

I've considered switching to another provider but am not sure I'll go that route. Overall, I've been happy with the U-Verse offering, though the price hike makes it less of a value.
jmw

Post by jmw »

Cable internet is $74. I'm too lazy to do the disloyal customer routine for Internet.

I cancelled all other cable. I pay for 3 streaming services on an annual plan. 1 of them is Amazon which I use for free shipping so that doesn't count. The other two are $10/month all-in. I pay with a gift card or one-time use credit cards. If anyone does a Netflix-like hike, I'll just let it expire.
brawlrats

Post by brawlrats »

$85/mo for 400 gbps Spectrum internet.

We cancelled cable last January. Got sick of paying $80/mo for TV we weren’t really watching. Spectrum didn’t even try to fight when we cancelled, they sounded happy with it. I don’t think they’re making any money off cable these days paying ESPN, Fox News, etc ridiculously high per subscriber fees.

Now have Disney plus, Amazon Prime (we had before canceling cable because we buy a lot from Amazon), PBS passport (through supporting our local radio station) and a few free streaming apps via our smart tv. We also have a Leaf antenna to get NFL games and a few other things on TV.

We’d have Prime and Passport regardless, so Disney plus is our only additional cost. I was able to stack a few CC discounts to get the cost down to about $60 for the year.

We tried Netflix and Hulu but didn’t find we were too interested in the selection and have no interest in a cable replacement like YouTube TV.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

$220 for xfinity tv/internet premium package (4 boxes + modem/router rentals)

Netflix $0 included with xfinity tv

HBO Max $0 included with AT&T phone service

Amazon Video $0 included with Prime

Apple TV $0 included with Apple One

I say $0 for these because I would have AT&T, Prime, Apple One even if they didn’t include these products.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Tmobile wifi tower $50/ month no taxes
Tmobile also pays most of our Netflix bill monthly as part of our unlimited cell phone.
Because we are military we have home internet, unlimited data for 4 cell phones and Netflix for $155/ month.

We cancelled everything else.
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

$54 a month for 350 Mbit cable.

I don't watch TV or have any streaming services.
retiredflyboy

Post by retiredflyboy »

$79 per mo. for 1 Gig internet and $65 per mo. for YouTube TV.
Facts are stubborn things. Everything works until it doesn’t.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

$0 for TV. We have an OTA antenna and no streamIng services.

$55 for 100mb cable internet.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

dred pirate wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:25 pm So - time for the every 2 year evaluate what we are paying for TV and see if there are better options.
My bill shot up from $135 to $216, so I made the "call and ask if there are better deals" phone call.
Was able to get it down to $165. This is a little painful for me - as 4 years ago we were only paying $104 a month for the same service.
This is with AT&T Uverse and includes TV and internet - no premium channels.
I am curious how this compares to others.
A few caveats of what we "need".
We don't do a lot of streaming - so only enough to stream Netflix on one screen at a time, so don't need super fast internet - just did a speed test and it was ~20mb.
Only "special stations" we need is access to Bally Sports southeast (For Carolina Hurricanes games) and the Big10 network for college football.
Other than that- basic cable/network TV covers our needs.
We now have access to google fiber for $70 a month, but I don't want a bunch of different streaming services - Just Neflix and if we have to - one for the NHL games.
Other options are Spectrum - which is running a $100 ish deal I believe (I need to look deeper into it)
I like the simplicity of just turning on the TB and scrolling through the channels with traditional cable (and similiar) services - willing a pay a little more for this convenience.
I don't want the 2 year promo and having to change to a different service every couple of years as it seems to take half a day or more for the new service people to come in an set up service. Obviously a promo that is a lot cheaper, and then the increase goes back to what we are now would be acceptable.
Interested in what others pay for something similar.

Cheers
DP
We pay $60 per month for gig fiber internet that comes with HBO Max. We did have 50mbs which was sufficient for $10 a month and I wish I kept that but we had to up the bandwidth when kids were distance learning and we were working from home.

We cut the cord so don’t pay cable but if I were you I’d go with YouTube tv. You’ll still come out better.
omibogle

Post by omibogle »

$60 for xfinity internet 600/25 with unlimited data
$55 for YouTube TV thru Tmobile discount

Various other subscriptions (hbo max etc) we turn on/off month to month depending on shows we want to watch.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

$55 for 500Mb ATT fiber internet
Antenna in the attic and Tivo with lifetime subscription for local networks - cut cable years ago, no interest in TV sports except Olympics
Amazon Prime
Netflix
Mhz choice
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

$40/mo FIOS - own router, no rental fees. Dropped cable/tv in 2018. Tried diff streaming services during the time, keep for a few months, try another and repeat depending if there is desired content.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

50 for internet; 70 for utube tv, 15 for Netflix, Amazon prime too.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Cut the cord from cable in 2020 and have YTTV. Don't miss cable, or boxes and DVRs, one bit. We pay $39.99 to Verizon for internet and subscribe to Netflix, Prime, HBOMax, and Apple TV. Still cheaper than cable.
danaht

Post by danaht »

monthly (approximate amounts after taxes):
$76 dollars for internet (basic Charter Spectrum that is very fast)
$44 for Sling TV (blue option + news add-on - allows you to stream and record basic cable channels and some local channels)
$7 HBO MAX - will cancel once it goes back to $16 - I only subscribe during promotional periods
$0 - Amazon Video and Vudu for streaming previously purchased movie collection
$0 - Tablo TV for local channels see below
$0 Sling Air TV for local channels
$0 for land line phone service - using Google Voice and Obihai adapter (you can't call 911 with the free option - just use your cell phone instead)

One time purchases:
Tablo TV (~$350) (One time purchase + life time subscription to watch and record local channels from $20 indoor antenna)
Sling Air TV ($80) (One time purchase) - Allows you to record and watch local channels via Sling TV app - not quite as good as Tablo

I am moving to a different state in March - but everything should stay the same except my internet provider which will be Cox instead of Charter. The only thing about Cox is that they have data caps - and so I'll need to watch how much data I am using streaming all this. May watch more Tablo and less Sling TV if that becomes an issue.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

FuboTV - $65 month (3 streams, DVR up to 250 GB, 115 channels with locals, and Flyers,Pens,Caps,Phils & Pirates).
With Roku/Apple devices hooked up to 5 tv's, accessible on pc/laptop/phones, and we can login to many channel apps if need be for VOD.

Prime Video - N/C

Netflix - $15.49 month

Hulu - .99¢ month

Xfinity Internet - $59 month (200 mbps speed, 1.2T GB) We own the modem and router.

We seldom go to movies, plays or sports.

$148.48 total (about $5 a day)
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

40ish each for both internet (300mbps) and Sling.

Just get Sling or YouTube TV or something to replace cable if you don't want to cobble together specialized streaming services.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

$55/mo negotiated rate for 900 Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. $0 for TV because I have an antenna for watching local sports. I cycle the streaming services and binge-watch what I care to see before canceling and moving on.
quattro73

Post by quattro73 »

90 for 1 gig fiber internet from ATT. Two kids, one at home and one at college. Both heavy users though.

65 or whatever YouTube tv is. Son at college uses also, therefore I catch a break, in my mind.

Will cut Netflix on and off if there is something to watch. Have not had “on” in months.

Use Amazon Prime which comes with Prime subscription.

Also have an antenna but it needs better placement.

Once kids are out of college and out of house, then I will most likely see if I can cut the internet speed and reduce that bill, and I will most likely get the antenna setup working like I want and ditch YouTube TV.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

$210. It covers top, internet speed of Comcast and a full package. We have Amazon (from Prime), ESPN+, Apple TV, Netflix, HBO, and any channel that televises sports other than the NBA channel since we get our team on Bally Sports. If we were not such huge sports fans, we could lower the bill fairly significantly. Does Supposetv/tv cover internet?

Tim
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

$70 a month for ATT 1gig fiber, price hasn't changed since I started service in 2015, it also includes HBO max subscription as well.

We also have amazon prime and netflix
This content is for entertainment purposes only
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

$75/month for internet, it just went up. Nothing for TV, we use an antenna. Well we do subscribe to three streaming services for an extra $29/month, but no cable or satellite TV. So in total $104/month.
Sprucebark

Re: Pay for TV and internet? Less than we used to.

Post by Sprucebark »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:52 pm
$125/mo for a nine streaming services. Wife watches them all.
I’m curious- what are the nine? Which one is the best?
wander

Post by wander »

vitaflo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:43 pm $0 for TV. We have an OTA antenna and no streamIng services.

$55 for 100mb cable internet.
+1. I used a Tablo device to record shows broadcasted OTA and watch when we like. It's been like that for 20+ years.
Bogle7

What we stream

Post by Bogle7 »

Sprucebark wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 am I’m curious- what are the nine? Which one is the best?
Hulu with Live TV $913/year
Discovery+ $84
Disney+ $0
HBO Max $180
Amazon Prime Video $0
IMDBTV $0
RMPBS Passport $120
Apple TV+ $0
Netflix $186

Best is subjective.
Hulu Live is expensive, but finding a cheap way to get cable news seems to be impossible.
Discovery+ lets us watch unlimited food and house porn without commercials.
Netflix has tons of original programming.
I would say that HBO Max is the least valuable, but I am not willing to have a marital spat over it.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
maineminder

Post by maineminder »

bluebolt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 pm Go to https://suppose.tv

It will let you select channels you need and compare streaming services that have them.

Looks like your need of both Bally Sports Southeast (I only saw Bally Sports South as an option) and the Big Ten Network will make it expensive.
Thanks, this has been very helpful.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

maineminder wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:33 am
bluebolt wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:18 pm Go to https://suppose.tv

Thanks, this has been very helpful.
You can also use this to look up shows. Maybe there are other sites like it I don't know?
Search at the top.
https://www.justwatch.com/us/search?q=b ... viders=nfx
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

Deleted
Last edited by Rudedog on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I pay $35 for a basic Xfinity 25 mbps internet. I have to contact them and renegotiate every year and usually get a promo rate.

I just use antenna and internet for TV. I don't watch much TV mostly Youtube and other internet stuff. I get about 80 channels with the antenna on the roof.
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

Once someone says they need an RSN like Bally Sports, the chance of significant savings disappears. Only the most expensive options still include RSNs. The cheapest streaming option with Bally Sports is DirecTV Stream Choice for $85.

Later this year, you should be able to get the Bally Sports RSN through their new streaming service estimated at $23 a month. You could then combine that with Sling Blue with Sports Extra for $46 for Big 10. At the very least you could get YouTube TV for $65 with Bally for another $23. I recommend checking out the suppose.tv recommendation.

https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/sincl ... ng-service
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

$69.04 a month for Sonic.com - internet and landline
$0 Amazon Prime streaming (I would have Amazon Prime even if it didn't include streaming)
$6.99 a month - just joined Britbox to watch new season of Father Brown

Gave what I thought was a donation to my local PBS station and they unexpectedly gave me PBS Passport in return. Much better "gift" than a tote bag.