? If You Have a Bosch Dishwasher

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mbres60

? If You Have a Bosch Dishwasher

Post by mbres60 »

We have a brand new Bosch dishwasher. It is an 800 series. I asked Bosch my question but the person we spoke to did not know the answer :(. The factory setting is that the unit does not automatically shut off the power after the cycle is complete. We can adjust it to either turn off after one minute or after two hours. Why would we want it to not shut off and we have to do it manually? Why would we want it to shut off after two hours?

Thanks
ClassII

Re: ? If You Have a Bosch Dishwasher

Post by ClassII »

I've noticed that on our new Bosch as well. I don't think it really matters though. I'm guessing all of the electronics stay "on" regardless of whether the power is selected on or off. Maybe the screen stays lit but that might even be like the light in the refrigerator that you only see it when the door is open. Either way I'm guessing the power difference is nil so I wouldn't worry about it. Bosch is downright obsessed with energy conservation so if anyone thought about this stuff, it's them.
TSR

Post by TSR »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:52 pm We have a brand new Bosch dishwasher. It is an 800 series. I asked Bosch my question but the person we spoke to did not know the answer :(. The factory setting is that the unit does not automatically shut off the power after the cycle is complete. We can adjust it to either turn off after one minute or after two hours. Why would we want it to not shut off and we have to do it manually? Why would we want it to shut off after two hours?

Thanks
I've owned a Bosch dishwasher, but it is long enough ago that I forget how they tend to display things. Two-part question: (1) Does a light come on to say that the dishes are "clean" after the wash cycle? (2) If so, does that light still display if the power is off? If the answer to both is yes then you might want it to stay powered on for a few hours so that you get some indication when it's done and/or when you should empty the thing.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

TSR wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:25 pm
mbres60 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:52 pm We have a brand new Bosch dishwasher. It is an 800 series. I asked Bosch my question but the person we spoke to did not know the answer :(. The factory setting is that the unit does not automatically shut off the power after the cycle is complete. We can adjust it to either turn off after one minute or after two hours. Why would we want it to not shut off and we have to do it manually? Why would we want it to shut off after two hours?

Thanks
I've owned a Bosch dishwasher, but it is long enough ago that I forget how they tend to display things. Two-part question: (1) Does a light come on to say that the dishes are "clean" after the wash cycle? (2) If so, does that light still display if the power is off? If the answer to both is yes then you might want it to stay powered on for a few hours so that you get some indication when it's done and/or when you should empty the thing.
The controls are at the top of the door inside so you can't see them unless you were to open the door. We turn on the dishwasher after dinner and then empty it in the morning. The lights are still on so we have to press a button to turn them off. I assume if we choose one minute or two hour option then the lights would turn off at that point. I just don't understand why there is an option nor why the Bosch customer service rep didn't know the purpose of the different options.

Still looking for responses from people who currently have a Bosch as to what they do and why.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

We have a Bosch with front panel controls. When the cycle is complete, the countdown indicator is an illuminated zero. We’ve had this dishwasher for 9 years & I personally don’t believe there’s much difference between that & power off. Personally, I prefer the countdown zero to the unit being turned completely off. Reason being, with a front control unit, if you accidentally push the cycle start button & it’s at countdown zero, the unit turns off. If it’s accidentally pushed when it’s turned off, it starts & runs a cycle.
It’s a great dishwasher!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Mine has a power button. I’ve never turned it off.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I just set our Bosch to turn off with the one minute option, no issues. Why? While it's just the control board lights on (tho very low energy use) and no other function used, why waste energy?

Agree there is no explanation to be found.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

bob60014 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:55 pm I just set our Bosch to turn off with the one minute option, no issues. Why? While it's just the control board lights on (tho very low energy use) and no other function used, why waste energy?

Agree there is no explanation to be found.
This is my inclination too. Doesn't seem to make sense to have choices which is why I wanted to find out what the reasoning was.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

My Bosch 800 is two years old (first year of redesign). Not sure what you mean by not turning off. It turns off when the cycle completes.

If you interrupt before the cycle ends (example: 9 minutes left) then yeah it will stay “on” with 9 minutes left even when you look open it two days later.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

seawolf21 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:07 pm My Bosch 800 is two years old (first year of redesign). Not sure what you mean by not turning off. It turns off when the cycle completes.

If you interrupt before the cycle ends (example: 9 minutes left) then yeah it will stay “on” with 9 minutes left even when you look open it two days later.
The lights on the top of the door where the controls are stay on. It is factory programmed to stay on. You can change the settings to 1 minute or two hours.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:56 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:07 pm My Bosch 800 is two years old (first year of redesign). Not sure what you mean by not turning off. It turns off when the cycle completes.

The lights on the top of the door where the controls are stay on. It is factory programmed to stay on. You can change the settings to 1 minute or two hours.
Thanks. I run mine overnight so by the time I open in the morning, it is well beyond the light stay-on time.
Teague

Post by Teague »

There are indicators that display at cycle end and this cannot happen if the unit is completely off.

There is a light that indicates "clean."
Another light that indicates "sanitized."
Another that advises that one needs to "add rinse aid."
There may be others for specific conditions, I'm not sure.

Throughout the day I make it a point to read the NYT, WaPo, and my dishwasher.
Semper Augustus
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have a Bosch.

We turn it off after the dishes in the dishwasher are unloaded. This turns off the display AND prevents the door from beeping when the door is closed. Thus, everyone knows that (a) the dishes in the dishwasher are dirty and (b) they are welcome to start the dishwasher by turning it on and pressing the "Start" button.

If the dishes in the dishwasher are clean, then we know that because either (a) the light stating the dishes are clean is lit or (b) someone left the door open and the light stating the dishes are clean changed to something else. And if one closes the door without pushing the "Start", the dishwasher beeps to warn the person that (a) you forgot to unload the dishwasher if the dishes are clean or (b) you forgot to press the "Start" button if you want the dishes to be cleaned.

Thus, turning off the power helps tell all household members the state of the dishes in the dishwasher and the unnecessary beeping is minimized.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

Teague wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:25 am There are indicators that display at cycle end and this cannot happen if the unit is completely off.

There is a light that indicates "clean."
Another light that indicates "sanitized."
Another that advises that one needs to "add rinse aid."
There may be others for specific conditions, I'm not sure.

Throughout the day I make it a point to read the NYT, WaPo, and my dishwasher.
:D :D :D I love it!
user5027

Post by user5027 »

We run our Bosch dishwasher about once a week. More often if we have guests. Not many of those during covid.

We usually leave the door ajar between runs. Occasionally the door gets closed if someone leans against it.

We usually run the dishwasher overnight. When we run the dishwasher we turn the power on before starting. The next morning I open the dishwasher and the power is still on with the clean light lit and then I turn the power off (all lights go out) before unloading. That tells me the dishwasher ran and the door was not closed by mistake without actually running the dishwasher. Otherwise it may be a guess. We do clean our dishes before putting them in the dishwasher since we will have days between runs.

Never considered adjusting the power off setting.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

We have an 800 series. I never bothered to even notice this function. Why not set it to 1 minute and forget it?

JT
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

bottlecap wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:44 pm

We have an 800 series. I never bothered to even notice this function. Why not set it to 1 minute and forget it?

JT
We just might do that. Still curious to why someone would want to set it at 2 hours.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

user5027 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:31 pm We run our Bosch dishwasher about once a week. More often if we have guests. Not many of those during covid.

We usually leave the door ajar between runs. Occasionally the door gets closed if someone leans against it.

We usually run the dishwasher overnight. When we run the dishwasher we turn the power on before starting. The next morning I open the dishwasher and the power is still on with the clean light lit and then I turn the power off (all lights go out) before unloading. That tells me the dishwasher ran and the door was not closed by mistake without actually running the dishwasher. Otherwise it may be a guess. We do clean our dishes before putting them in the dishwasher since we will have days between runs.

Never considered adjusting the power off setting.
We read the small booklet that came with the dishwasher. There is a section that talks about changing the setting. Gives no explanation as to why one might want any particular setting. Even the Bosch rep we spoke with had no idea :(
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I don't know why they do it, but here's the overall effect.

We have a Bosch 300 series. I just plugged it into a Kill A Watt energy meter. Here's the consumption the meter shows, and the annual cost at the US average:

Turned off: 0 W - $0
Turned on, door latched: 1.2W - $1.38 per year
Turned on, door unlatched: 1.6W - $1.84 per year

I didn't check to see if it is any different after completing a cycle.

* Edit - added "per year" to clarify cost time frame
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

iamlucky13 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:19 am I don't know why they do it, but here's the overall effect.

We have a Bosch 300 series. I just plugged it into a Kill A Watt energy meter. Here's the consumption the meter shows, and the annual cost at the US average:

Turned on, door latched: 1.2W - $1.38
Turned on, door unlatched: 1.6W - $1.84

Thank you!
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

mbres60 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:33 pm
TSR wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:25 pm

Thanks
The controls are at the top of the door inside so you can't see them unless you were to open the door. We turn on the dishwasher after dinner and then empty it in the morning. The lights are still on so we have to press a button to turn them off. I assume if we choose one minute or two hour option then the lights would turn off at that point. I just don't understand why there is an option nor why the Bosch customer service rep didn't know the purpose of the different options.

Still looking for responses from people who currently have a Bosch as to what they do and why.
Mine stays on until we turn it off. Wife likes the light on the floor when cycle is done so we don't inadvertently put dirty dishes in clean.

The 2 hour probably accomplishes much of the same thing if you want to know the cycle completed.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

iamlucky13 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:19 am I don't know why they do it, but here's the overall effect.

Thanks for sharing. Can you please also explain what that means. When it says 1.2W or 1.6W does that mean it uses 1.2 watts per hour or is that for the day or month?
Same question for the $1.38 or $1.84 does that mean how much it costs to leave it on for 24 hours or what time frame are we talking about?
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Teague

Post by Teague »

EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 am

Thanks for sharing. Can you please also explain what that means. When it says 1.2W or 1.6W does that mean it uses 1.2 watts per hour or is that for the day or month?
Same question for the $1.38 or $1.84 does that mean how much it costs to leave it on for 24 hours or what time frame are we talking about?
Your answers are already in the post you quoted. The cost per year is annually, assuming an electricity price of the national average.

Watts are not measured per hour. Watts are a measure of power, or energy per unit time. Just like horsepower is a measure of power, or energy per unit time. In fact, 1 horsepower is the same as 746 watts, rounded up a bit.

What you're interested in is the amount of energy used, here measured in watt hours or kilowatt hours. In the example above, if you used 1.2W for 1000 hours, that would be 1.2 kilowatt hours. Electricity is billed in kilowatt hours. You can look at your electric bill to see what a kilowatt hour costs you in your area.
Semper Augustus
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Teague wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:38 pm
EnjoyIt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 am

Your answers are already in the post you quoted. The cost per year is annually, assuming an electricity price of the national average.

Watts are not measured per hour. Watts are a measure of power, or energy per unit time. Just like horsepower is a measure of power, or energy per unit time. In fact, 1 horsepower is the same as 746 watts, rounded up a bit.

What you're interested in is the amount of energy used, here measured in watt hours or kilowatt hours. In the example above, if you used 1.2W for 1000 hours, that would be 1.2 kilowatt hours. Electricity is billed in kilowatt hours. You can look at your electric bill to see what a kilowatt hour costs you in your area.
duuuuuh. :oops:
I did not see the word "annual" in your post.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732