work boot for woman

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
cashboy

work boot for woman

Post by cashboy »

looking for work boot ideas for a woman i know:

background:

middle aged woman
works on feet most of a 7 hour work day
works inside
shelf/goods stocker
usually lifts heavy packages (she does wear a back support belt)

Requirements:

toe protection (steel or composite)
support
stability
comfort
any other things to consider?

i have performed a large number google searches for a woman's work boot, but was looking for any experiences that BHs can share.

thanks
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
mrmass

Re: work boot for woman

Post by mrmass »

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I would look for a dedicated work wear store in your area. Shoes are in general an item I will not buy without trying them on, and safety shoes especially.

You might spend $10-20 more than buying online, but the ability to try on a bunch of shoes at once, and to compare them directly, saves a lot of time and hassle compared to dealing with online returns if you don't find the right fit in the first order or two.

Since what fits comfortably for one person might not for a person with different shaped feet, it's hard to give a recommendation for a specific shoe. The person who will be wearing them really should try them on.
Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady »

I bought some workbooks of Keen brand that have lasted, are comfortable, and are VERY LIGHTWEIGHT. The weight is important to me if I'm walking and climbing, etc.
Calico

Post by Calico »

I don't have a specific brand, but in the past, I've bought men's boots when it was something utilitarian. A woman just needs to buy a smaller size. It's usually 1.5 sizes. So a men's size 6 would be a women's size 7.5.
I am a mere Boglehead apprentice... even after all these years.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

I would consider insoles and socks into your work boot equation - it's unbelievable what a nice pair of socks will do for you. I heard about Darn Tough socks on BH and they were a game changer in my work boots. I used to work construction and the difference was dramatic, my feet were far less sore at the end of the day.

These were my daily's and they were fantastic. However, you might want a lighter version because I got these since they were waterproof and held up really well outdoors. I also don't know if they make a female equivalent but if you have big feet you could try to fit in the size 8 :D

https://www.keenfootwear.com/p/1022106- ... ZTEALw_wcB

My mom and dad work in a grocery distribution center and I got them Hoka's and they said it's been amazing for their feet. However, I don't believe these will meet your requirement of toe protection. You can buy external toe protectors but they're pretty wonky.

So I would recommend looking at Keen and Hoka's products lines to see if anything fits. Also, definitely look into getting nice socks!! The Darn Tough socks are spendy (~$20+/sock) but they are totally worth it. I don't sweat in my feet that much so I had 2 pairs that I could rotate for the entire week and then wash them on the weekends.
rh00p

Post by rh00p »

Wolverines and Rockports are the most comfy work boots I've ever worn but you're paying. Definitely get composite toe and a softer, more energy absorbing sole. They have removable / replaceable insoles.

I wear two pairs of socks. Cooler and dryer in the summer, Warmer in the winter. For me the boot fits better and reduces friction points.
Preparing for the worst. Hoping for the best.
sls239

Post by sls239 »

If the steel toe isn’t an absolute requirement, I suggest Dansko. They are far and away the best for standing and lifting.
TSR

Post by TSR »

Chicken lady wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:17 pm I bought some workbooks of Keen brand that have lasted, are comfortable, and are VERY LIGHTWEIGHT. The weight is important to me if I'm walking and climbing, etc.
My wife had to buy some steel-toe boots for some mining-related work (she's a geologist, not a miner, if it matters), and she really liked the Keen boots she got. Very comfortable.