Do people still wear ties and belts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
stoptothink

Re: Do people still wear ties and belts?

Post by stoptothink »

TJat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm Since I started work in 2007, my office went from requiring suits, to shirt/tie but jacket optional, to no ties, to business casual (most still wear dress shirts, but some polos show up here and there).
My first day at my current company, I showed up with a slacks and a tie and EVERYBODY looked at me like I had a 3rd eye - I had been expected to wear a tie at my two previous jobs. Khakis and polos were the norm, with no jeans allowed. A few years later they started allowing jeans on Fridays. Now when I go into the office, someone not wearing jeans and a t-shirt sticks out.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I wear belts to keep my pants up. Haven't regularly worn ties outside of weddings/funerals.

Noticed at the last funeral I went to that it was becoming more common to NOT wear ties. Good riddance.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

I wear a belt just about every day. Goes well with the jeans (winter) or cargo shorts (summer).

I wear ties for funerals. I haven't worn a tie for a job interview in at least 10 years, and the weddings I actually want to go to are informal and fun, not 'tie and tails'.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:34 pm Anyone wearing the Untucked brand shirts? Great marketing, those shirts look very comfy, and still nice.

The shirts that are traditional length do look very sloppy to me if not tucked in, so I would probably consider trying the Untucked brand shirts if I still was working.

I did go sans belt for a time, had some great suspenders.

Broken Man 1999
I have a few "Untuckit" (not Untucked) brand shirts. They vary in comfort depending upon the specific shirt but have held up well for a number of years. Bought several 4 or 5 years ago.
There are other brands that have the shortened and straight bottom designed to be worn untucked - Untuckit did a great job on marketing.
Afty

Post by Afty »

In 2011 I started at a FAANG company and wore slacks and a dress shirt on my first day (no tie of course). My teammates all laughed at me. Every day since then has been jeans and a t-shirt.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

I can't remember the last time I wore a tie.
It has been several years since I wore long pants, and the shorts I wear don't have belt loops.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

What is the expected attire for a job interview these days? I'm retired so it's not for me, but my son will be graduating with an engineering degree at the end of this year and my wife and I were just talking yesterday about buying him a suit. Is a suit and tie still what interviewers want to see or am I showing my age?
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm What is the expected attire for a job interview these days? I'm retired so it's not for me, but my son will be graduating with an engineering degree at the end of this year and my wife and I were just talking yesterday about buying him a suit. Is a suit and tie still what interviewers want to see or am I showing my age?
My most current theory is that a person's interview "outfit" should be very similar to what a 1st or 2cd level manager wears into work at that company on a daily basis. You want what you have on to convey professionalism and respect for the interview opportunity, but not give off any vibe of stuffiness or formality. Getting it perfectly right takes finesse and some luck, but having said that, for most STEM jobs what you know and who you are is 10X more important that what you are wearing.
Zdex

Post by Zdex »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 pmI wear a belt because I am fat and need assistance holding up my pants.
You really, really should look into a proper pair of suspenders, or braces as some like to call them. For you, or anyone. Just get the interior buttons sewn in on a few pair of pants, you'll only need one pair of braces, two at most, it's very cheap.

Braces/suspenders are superior to your belt. First, braces/suspenders are way more comfortable than a belt, especially when sitting down, it's a night and day difference. And it's a lot easier to move around with braces/suspenders too, especially sitting up and down as well as stairs -- you don't have that damn leather strap constricting your torso, and suspenders move with you, not against you.

Clothes fit and look better too. You don't have pant and shirt material bunching up around the belt's compression points. With suspenders, everything rests much more naturally. And the force holding your pants up is distributed much more evenly and comfortably through the entire bracers, instead of a thin leather strip at your waist. You barely notice they are there.

If you do try a pair, make sure to get a proper set with the buttons -- they work flawlessly. Those clip-on jobs, not so much.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Our CEO didn't even wear a tie when he testified before Congress on live TV.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I wear a tie and often a jacket when when I’m deliberately trying to make an impression, be the center of attention, or doing something “performative” (eg, formal speaking engagements, etc.). It isn’t a cultural expectation.

I wear a belt on days when I wear pants to work.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

I'm a K-12 teacher and no one at my work ever wears a tie to work. About a decade ago I had a part time weekend job at a liquor store, which required me to wear a tie. I found it very odd that my professional job didn't require it, but the job selling booze did.
PharmerBrown

Post by PharmerBrown »

masonstone wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:27 pm
Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this as well? I'm thinking how ruthless to be when discarding my ties and belts that I currently have.
I stopped wearing Ties but still wear a belt.
+1 - For things that I used to wear a tie to, I'll wear a sport coat with my button-up.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

I think men look nice in ties. They do seem to be going out of fashion though.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

No belt wearing reminds me of Miami Vice. I still see people wearing belts. But now we're all jeans or shorts.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt."

I suppose I could transition to a shoulder holster, but they're much more uncomfortable than a belt holster.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Not as much as I used to but then again I'm not working as much as I used to. Wore both today. Wing tips as well. In my thirty years of professional life I've always enjoyed the traditional business look of suits, or slacks and a dress shirt with a tie.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

Millenial here. I always wear a tie, belt, cleanly pressed white only shirt with collar. I really enjoy the traditional look and feel most comfortable in it. Maybe I am just a minority.
smectym

Post by smectym »

TJat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm Since I started work in 2007, my office went from requiring suits, to shirt/tie but jacket optional, to no ties, to business casual (most still wear dress shirts, but some polos show up here and there).

Maybe I'm out of it, but I simply cannot endorse not wearing a belt unless you're in athletic pants. If there are belt loops, a belt must be worn in my mind. If there are dress pants without belt loops, I might question if those are in fact women's pants.
Fashion is cyclical, and all fashion is conformist and inane. Now that the gerontocracy has convinced themselves how cool they are because they all dress like Mark Zuckerberg when he was 19 (and I note he actually ditched his hoodie a while ago), I expect the next “move fast and break things” cohort of Stanford drop-outs to start showing up at the IPO road shows and venture capital funding rounds immaculate in their sharp business suits.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

samsoes wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:30 pm A belt is still required to avoid a wardrobe malfunction.
This is very true in my case.
novillero

Post by novillero »

I always wear a belt (my wife says that whenever I stand up from a sitting position, I should always pull up my pants even if I think I’m fine - the curse of no backside, lol.)

I agree if your pants have belt loops, it looks like you are missing something. I have a couple of slide belts.

I wear a tie, but not always. It’s nice to look nice (yes, you can look nice without a tie).

I’d rather look the part that I want to play. Too many people look like slobs these days. A jacket and tie sets you apart - it’s almost counter-cultural.

I’d never go to a wedding or funeral without a jacket and tie at the very least!

And for God’s sake, tuck in your shirt!
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"I’d rather look the part that I want to play."

I'm 71 and want to go to the river or the beach to go fishing no matter what I'm doing. So I dress like I'm on my way there. This is my 10th year of retirement.
If I want to look presentable, I take my wife with me and tell her to wear her 9.5 mm Hanadama natural white pearls. And to throw her wedding band and engagement ring in the ultrasonic cleaner just before we leave. :)
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

andypanda wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm "If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt."

I suppose I could transition to a shoulder holster, but they're much more uncomfortable than a belt holster.
LOL! This is what I was thinking. Without a belt, how do you hold up that weight?

Dress like you want to. If you want to fit in, be like everyone else and fit in. If you want more respect, dress better than just to fit in. At home I dress down. Sometimes way down. At work I want to make sure I'm taken seriously - even if I'm not always serious.

It also depends if you're a in a profession or not. But I would imagine that a belt is minimal in any line of work, at least not to look ridiculous.

And If you're the boss, I guess you can do whatever you want to.

JT
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this as well? I'm thinking how ruthless to be when discarding my ties and belts that I currently have.
Tie? Never. Belt? Every day. It's nothing fancy, but I can't even imagine going without a belt.
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

No belt is a current fashion trend if you are slim/muscular. Fine if you can pull it off physically with pants fitted to be worn without a belt and if you keep up with style trends. Wear the belt if you can't pull it off.

I hope ties are on their way to the same place in history as powdered wigs.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I’m surprised so many people here are saying they need a belt. Why not just buy pants that fit properly? When I try on pants and they feel like they’re going to fall off, I know they’re not the right size or cut for me, or perhaps they need to be adjusted. I don’t try to band aid I’ll fitting clothes by adding a belt.
smectym

Post by smectym »

The phenomenon of men no longer wearing ties, which has been building since the initial dot.com boom of the late 90’s, is mainly a function of simple conformity to a sharp inflection in fashion. In Silicon Valley, the same execs who formerly preened themselves on their $200 ties, began to fear they’d seem stuffy and not “with it” and “cool” in deal meetings with disruptive kids of half their age, but 100x their net worth, who showed up in t-shirts and ripped jeans.

I lived through the aftershock at a law firm in LA around that time. That firm went from requiring the summer associates to wear suits and ties to the office every day during the summer, to allowing business casual occasionally, to allowing business casual all the time but preferring the business suit, to making fun of anyone who wore the business suit “unless going to court,”all in a period of about 18 months.

None of the dress code decisions had anything to do with a sudden epiphany of free-spirited fashion-forward aesthetics at the office. What drove the changes was anxiety, and fearful haste, to figure out and catch up to the new fashion trend, and then to conform to it as rigidly as the traditional dress code had been enforced not long before.

Twenty or twenty-five years later, here we are. Ditching the tie is old, old news. If there’s anyone around who still fancies himself a rather daring rebel for disdaining to wear a tie…um, no. Just the opposite in many offices today.
That’s why it wouldn’t be a surprise to see the fashion pendulum to start to swing back a bit the other direction. We’ll see.
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

I wear a belt and will continue to wear a belt as long as it is required that my pants stay up. If pants one day become optional, I suppose I will stop wearing a belt. If pants were meant to fit so properly they did not need a belt, one would think they’d be made without loops.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

I grew up in an era when we wore ties to school. Ditched that in college and grad school, but my post-doc required sport jacket / suit and tie. Then worked for an organization that required same. Next 25 years did a lot of expert witness courtroom work and presentations, so wore the regalia in those settings. Stopped my courtroom appearances, so no more jacket/ties save for an occasional cruise dress up night. Last time I put on was during the depth of the early pandemic, as an attempt to bring cheer to myself and Zoom friends.

Retired now, and don’t wear a belt except the rare time I wear long pants.

This thread reminds me to. Clean out my closet full of ties, sport jackets and suits.
Derpalator

Post by Derpalator »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:22 pm
hoofaman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:20 pm My standard work atire is a tshirt and pajama pants, sweat pants if I feel the need to dress up
Since I am retired my standard outfit now is my birthday suit, no laundry to do!
Now that's a revealing statement!
dreamingbutterfly

Post by dreamingbutterfly »

It's the content of your character, not the clothes you wear.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

We haven't worn ties in the office since the mid to late 90's. I haven't worn a suit since my last trip to visit a customer in Japan 15 or so years ago. Out of respect I was still wearing ties to funerals up until a few years ago but found I was overdressed - even family members of the deceased don't wear ties anymore and a substantial number of people show up in shorts/jeans and a t-shirt. I thought it was disrespectful, but when I thought about it some more I realized my dead friends were always in jeans and a t-shirt and probably didn't even own a suit so why bother with the pageantry?
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I quickly decided when I was considering degrees that finance wasn't for me since I was never going to dress up daily. So I went into engineering and have rarely worn ties in my career. And since 2009 the only times I've worn a tie or suit has been for funerals/viewings. I make that clear to any place I interview. A decade or more a friend interviewed with Intel and they even told him don't dress up. He didn't and got the job although he quit before a year was up because he thought the group he was in was a mess.

Generally anytime I see someone in tech dressing up, I assume they are making up for a lack of skills. Similar to folks that sign emails and list all of their certificates.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
DarkMatter731

Post by DarkMatter731 »

I'm working at an investment firm next year.

I absolutely still wear a tie. I think looking good is incredibly important - in a client-driven business, if you can't look after yourself, how can you look after billions of dollars in assets?

I don't need a belt.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

smectym wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:25 pm Fashion is cyclical, and all fashion is conformist and inane. Now that the gerontocracy has convinced themselves how cool they are because they all dress like Mark Zuckerberg when he was 19 (and I note he actually ditched his hoodie a while ago), I expect the next “move fast and break things” cohort of Stanford drop-outs to start showing up at the IPO road shows and venture capital funding rounds immaculate in their sharp business suits.
Gerontocracy? Oh, how cute. Bless your heart.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
novillero

Post by novillero »

Ps. I’m mostly remote these days, but this week I made an appearance in a waistcoat and a tie (slacks with a belt in case you were wondering). I received compliments on the tie. I told one girl the tie was older than she was, and we compared dates… I was right!
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.
There is if you carry a firearm.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

I am retired. I never wear a tie and I never will again. I think they are ridiculous.

I wear a belt because it helps to keep my pants up.
NerdJock

Post by NerdJock »

I always were a suite and a tie for an interview.
I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

I am a programmer and if I didn't take myself seriously I would have no business programming.
People depend on your programs working right.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

JupiterJones wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm Go do a Google image search for a phrase like "people downtown 1940" and see what pops up. Notice how all the men (and most of the women) are wearing hats? And then one day--poof--they all stopped? Thus goeth the tie.
A friend of mine has this great picture of the entrance to Wrigley Field before a Cubs game in like 1947.

All the men (and it's pretty much all men) queueing outside are in full suits with hats... going to a ball game.

There are a few twenty-somethings with bare heads... Rebels!

It is weird how hats just stopped being a thing... Like over 5-10 years? What caused that change?
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

When required to wear a tie I have always gone with the most preposterous, hilarious wide 70s wreck I could find at a thrift shop.

Pants without belts look idiotic, especially sansabelts.
BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

TJat wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm If there are belt loops, a belt must be worn in my mind.
I agree if your shirt is tucked in, and the loops are visible.

But since many of us wear shirts hanging loose nowadays, I only wear belts with pants or shorts that are slightly too big so I need help keeping them up.
Last edited by HomerJ on Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Lastrun

Post by Lastrun »

It is to the point where a suit & tie = sales person in the business setting. And not in a good way. Like days of old when a name on your shirt meant service person; not the boss or owner.

I have not worn a suit to work in years. I wear a tie to work every once and a while with nice pants, but things are very informal now.

With my body frame, I need a belt.

I always thought a suit with no tie was a good compromise, but reading this thread I realize how far things have progressed.

Like others, need to think about a closet purge this winter.
wander

Post by wander »

I do not wear ties to work but always wear belts. For formal events, yes, I wear both.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

FireSekr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm I’m surprised so many people here are saying they need a belt. Why not just buy pants that fit properly? When I try on pants and they feel like they’re going to fall off, I know they’re not the right size or cut for me, or perhaps they need to be adjusted. I don’t try to band aid I’ll fitting clothes by adding a belt.
Well, my weight fluctuates. Might or might not have something to do with beer drinking.

So some of my shorts/pants fit fine without a belt, some need a belt. (and some I can't wear until I lose 5 pounds)

Actually it's not just my fault for not sticking to my diet during playoffs (Dry January, ha!)

Each manufacturer seems to make clothes differently. A 38 waist from one company can actually fit quite differently than a 38 waist from another company.

I'm not sure how... 38 inches is 38 inches you would think.
chazas

Post by chazas »

FireSekr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm I’m surprised so many people here are saying they need a belt. Why not just buy pants that fit properly? When I try on pants and they feel like they’re going to fall off, I know they’re not the right size or cut for me, or perhaps they need to be adjusted. I don’t try to band aid I’ll fitting clothes by adding a belt.
Ha. I’m thin and in good shape. I have a small rear. Even the best fitting pants ultimately slide down.
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 am I'm working at an investment firm next year.

I absolutely still wear a tie. I think looking good is incredibly important - in a client-driven business, if you can't look after yourself, how can you look after billions of dollars in assets?

I don't need a belt.
52 and don't have a tie in my closet. Have not worn one in at least 25 years. Personally I find a stylish sportcoat and unbuttoned collar to be a better look. Belts are must haves for me, be them hidden from view or visible. These days I am more focused on my shoes. I get more comments about my shoes than anything. After years of buying "disposable" dress shoes I made the move to artisan crafted shoes with full leather soles. I think the quality of your clothes will say more of how you look after yourself than the elements. A bare bones, but stylish look will show better than a Macys off the rack suit and tie and rubber bottom dress shoes.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

NerdJock wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:02 am I always were a suite and a tie for an interview.
I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

I am a programmer and if I didn't take myself seriously I would have no business programming.
People depend on your programs working right.
The world is full of programmers writing good code in shorts and a t-shirt.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Meatloaf liked suit jackets and frilly shirts-RIP Meatloaf. Not a bad look :happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQ12qjiDBQ