Do people still wear ties and belts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Re: Do people still wear ties and belts?

Post by Ron »

Heck, I'm not even getting dressed up for my own funeral - that's why I opted for cremation 😎 ...

- Ron
DarkMatter731

Post by DarkMatter731 »

tigermilk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:32 am
DarkMatter731 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 am I'm working at an investment firm next year.

I absolutely still wear a tie. I think looking good is incredibly important - in a client-driven business, if you can't look after yourself, how can you look after billions of dollars in assets?

I don't need a belt.
52 and don't have a tie in my closet. Have not worn one in at least 25 years. Personally I find a stylish sportcoat and unbuttoned collar to be a better look. Belts are must haves for me, be them hidden from view or visible. These days I am more focused on my shoes. I get more comments about my shoes than anything. After years of buying "disposable" dress shoes I made the move to artisan crafted shoes with full leather soles. I think the quality of your clothes will say more of how you look after yourself than the elements. A bare bones, but stylish look will show better than a Macys off the rack suit and tie and rubber bottom dress shoes.
I'm 22.

I've got a fair few ties in my closet.

But I personally enjoy wearing a suit and tie - it makes me feel powerful as perverse as that sounds.

My shoes are fairly good quality + my suits are tailored (birthday gift). Plus, I know for sure that I'd be judged by everyone at my firm if I didn't wear a suit. If I came into work wearing jeans, I don't think I'd have a career for that much longer.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

In Hawaii, getting dressed up means the best Aloha Shirt, Dress Pants, and shoes.

It works in steps of formality.

Nice and best Aloha Shirt plus Dress Pants plus dress shoes: doctors, attorneys, bankers, weddings, etc.
Aloha Shirt plus pants (no jeans), and sneakers. . .or nice slippers. : gatherings, luau's, etc.
Aloha Shirt plus pants or shorts, and slippers: daily wear
Aloha Shirt or T shirt, puka pants, slippers: at home if someone is coming over, guests, etc.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

I never wore belts to begin with. Never could find one that fit right. Just always got pants and jeans that fit properly so I didn't need one. I only wear ties to funerals and job interviews. Even the weddings I have been to now are pretty casual.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

For what it's worth - Munchkin Man wore belts.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

chazas wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:32 am
FireSekr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm I’m surprised so many people here are saying they need a belt. Why not just buy pants that fit properly? When I try on pants and they feel like they’re going to fall off, I know they’re not the right size or cut for me, or perhaps they need to be adjusted. I don’t try to band aid I’ll fitting clothes by adding a belt.
Ha. I’m thin and in good shape. I have a small rear. Even the best fitting pants ultimately slide down.
I'm "thin and muscular" but have a large posterior chain from decades of powerlifting, which makes me have to buy pants that are very loose around the waist. Also an issue with shirts and my chest/shoulders/neck. I do not care enough about clothes to get them all tailored, so I wear a belt and shirts that look like a blouse around my midsection.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I have like 30 ties yet on the rare occurrence of wearing them I only wear 1 of 3.

I guess I should get rid of 27 ties.
GT99

Post by GT99 »

In 1999 I went to work for a company that required ties Mon-Thurs. Even back then I remember thinking how old-school and silly it was. I can't remember the last time I wore a tie for something other than a funeral. Come to think of it, I can - it was for a charity banquet thing right about 5 years ago. These days wearing a tie to a job interview is more likely to hurt than help in most industries. And definitely not for a wedding anymore.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:11 am
tigermilk wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:32 am
DarkMatter731 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 am I'm working at an investment firm next year.

I absolutely still wear a tie. I think looking good is incredibly important - in a client-driven business, if you can't look after yourself, how can you look after billions of dollars in assets?

I don't need a belt.
52 and don't have a tie in my closet. Have not worn one in at least 25 years. Personally I find a stylish sportcoat and unbuttoned collar to be a better look. Belts are must haves for me, be them hidden from view or visible. These days I am more focused on my shoes. I get more comments about my shoes than anything. After years of buying "disposable" dress shoes I made the move to artisan crafted shoes with full leather soles. I think the quality of your clothes will say more of how you look after yourself than the elements. A bare bones, but stylish look will show better than a Macys off the rack suit and tie and rubber bottom dress shoes.
I'm 22.

I've got a fair few ties in my closet.

But I personally enjoy wearing a suit and tie - it makes me feel powerful as perverse as that sounds.

My shoes are fairly good quality + my suits are tailored (birthday gift). Plus, I know for sure that I'd be judged by everyone at my firm if I didn't wear a suit. If I came into work wearing jeans, I don't think I'd have a career for that much longer.

Problem is that wearing a tie can actually make you look like “the help” in some circumstances. At my office, the only people wearing a tie are the security guards at the entrance. The CEO stopped wearing a tie a few years ago.

My personal opinion is that ties are going the way of Fedoras 75 years ago. But I do have to wear them on occasion when meeting with foreign government officials. I’ve ditched them for most weddings and funerals.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Being dressed up makes me less productive.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Where I worked most of the time a suit and tie would not be allowed as being a safety hazard.
JDave

Post by JDave »

In a tie-less office, the necktied man is King.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Jags4186 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:48 am I have like 30 ties yet on the rare occurrence of wearing them I only wear 1 of 3.

I guess I should get rid of 27 ties.
I have like 10, but really only wear my one favorite (basically for weddings)
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
Lou Sevens

Post by Lou Sevens »

When I have a zoom interview or teams interview I do .
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"I don’t try to band aid I’ll fitting clothes by adding a belt."

That's a narrow point of view. Not everyone can wear pants without a belt. I don't care how they are tailored. Actually, you should ask your tailor if every man can wear pants without a belt. You'll be surprised.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

bengal22 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 am For what it's worth - Munchkin Man wore belts.
The posts by Munchkin Man were some of the most entertaining on the whole board!
Casper

Post by Casper »

Haven't read all the replies, but was surprised at how many say their pants would fall down if they didn't wear a belt. Unless you're overweight (as a couple posters did mention), if your pants fit halfway decently they shouldn't fall down without a belt. That said, I still wear a belt so the back of my pants don't creep down when I bend over, sit down, and such.
sherwink

Post by sherwink »

I wear a belt to simply keep my pants in the correct position they belong. Now that I'm retire, I don't wear ties. I still retain the ability to tie a tie for special occasions. I don't sport any tatoos either--nor do I ever want wear one, or to price one out. I came into this world without a tattoo, I'll leave this world in my same natural condition.
trevorshhh

Post by trevorshhh »

I work at a company that required all men to wear ties until 2015, the year I started there (and yes, I unfortunately spent money on a tie-friendly wardrobe before the announcement).

Then the company switched to business casual, defined as button down shirts and/or sweaters with non-denim pants (slacks/chinos) and non-athletic shoes.

I've been WFH since March 2020 (changing soon) but they still require our top half to be business casual. My go to has been a sweater or polo with athletic bottoms depend on weather.

If I ever have an opportunity to dress on the more formal side (e.g., weddings and funerals, or speaking at church), nowadays I go for slacks and a blazer, but never bother with a tie. Even in a conservative area of the South, I find at such events I'll be surprised if half of the men wear ties, though you don't see jeans.

If my belt loops are exposed, I wear a belt. Many of my pants fit well enough that if I am wearing something with a lose tail (e.g., sweater and slacks or casual untucked shirt and pants) then I usually forego the belt.
All in VTI, VXUS, BND and equivalents.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

rkhusky wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:49 pm Do they sell pants without belt loops? If the loops are there, they look better filled.
Agree.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Yes they do.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

If I wear pants that are tight-waisted enough that they don't slide down without a belt, they actually hurt my lower back. Wearing a belt that I can adjust gives me a much better level of comfort than having tight-waisted pants. Some of my pants have elastic in the waistbands, but I still need the belt to ensure no wardrobe malfunctions.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

JDave wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:23 am In a tie-less office, the necktied man is King.
Ehh. In our tie-less office pre-pandemic, that was on the more relaxed end of business casual we had one guy in a lower-level position who for whatever reason wore a tie every day. He wasn't a king, everyone just thought he was that weird guy who always wore a tie for some reason.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm What is the expected attire for a job interview these days? I'm retired so it's not for me, but my son will be graduating with an engineering degree at the end of this year and my wife and I were just talking yesterday about buying him a suit. Is a suit and tie still what interviewers want to see or am I showing my age?
I'm female and I just wear a black long sleeved blouse and nice jeans (or a pair of slacks if it's a more conservative place). I'm in IT though, not sure how engineering would work. I would wager a high quality dress shirt and slacks would be more appropriate than a stuffy suit.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Belts,yes always.

Suitcoat/tie yes when meeting with VP or higher (except my direct boss).
Also, weddings/funerals and church.

I also wear them if on a job interview.

Didn't we just have a discussion where the poster wanted to know if he should buy a tux?!
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

IMHO, the USA, and to some extent Western Europe, is becoming sloppier and sloppier. When I was working for a government agency from 1973 to 2010, there was an unwritten dress code. When I was overseeing construction projects, it was jeans, work boots, tee shirts or coats if it was cold, and hard hats and high visibility vests. When I moved into the office, lower level male employees wore slacks and button up shirts. Mid level managers wore slacks and shirts and ties. Upper level management added sport jackets and the highest level management wore business suits. I mostly conformed. When casual Friday started I felt that it was stupid and still wore regular work clothes. What’s happened since 2010, I don’t know, nor do I care.
When I retired and started working for a contractor and my job mostly consisted of visiting and attempting to educate town and county DPW superintendents, my wardrobe matched what they wore, jeans, golf shirts with company logos and work boots.
I always wear a belt, always. Now that I am completely retired I dress for the occasion. I wear a navy blue blazer, Oxford button down shirt and tie to weddings, funerals, fancy restaurants, etc. I have a few suits, but they are probably out of style. Otherwise, I usually wear black, slim cut jeans (even though I am far from slim, I think that slim cut legs look neater). When I wear a button front shirt, it’s always tucked in. I wear a lot of sweaters in the winter and polo shirts in the summer. I only wear sweatshirts while working in the yard. I don’t own a hooded sweatshirt, nor do I own sweatpants. I don’t own any items of clothing that have holes or rips in them. I do own some athletic type shirts and pants, but I don’t wear them anywhere outside my home.
I don’t think that it is by chance that portrayals of criminals on tv or in movies have them wearing hoodies pulled over their heads. The new fedora is either a baseball cap worn backwards or to the side somehow or it is a hoodie over the head or some combination of the two. I wear a baseball cap the conventional way outdoors in the winter to keep my bald head warm. I take it off when I go indoors as wearing one inside is rude (that’s what my mother told me). It really irks me to be inside a reasonably nice restaurant and see men still wearing baseball hats.
America has become the home of the slobs.
Rant over.
crnatg

Post by crnatg »

Only wear a tie for the most formal of occasions, otherwise the pocket square has replaced the tie. Belt if loops are showing as an accessory piece, and also to hold my...never mind! :)
cbs2002

Post by cbs2002 »

Ties are still there in high-level finance, government, politics and law, at least in major metros. Not every day, but there's a lot of "dress for the occasion" in those fields where the suit and tie comes out. Happily I think I've had to wear one twice in the last two years.

Of course I wear a belt. Who wear pants without a belt?
riverant

Post by riverant »

chazas wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:32 am
FireSekr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm I’m surprised so many people here are saying they need a belt. Why not just buy pants that fit properly? When I try on pants and they feel like they’re going to fall off, I know they’re not the right size or cut for me, or perhaps they need to be adjusted. I don’t try to band aid I’ll fitting clothes by adding a belt.
Ha. I’m thin and in good shape. I have a small rear. Even the best fitting pants ultimately slide down.
Yup. I also tend to wear khakis that naturally stretch throughout the day. Nothing is worse than pants being worn Too low. I just can’t get comfortable in pants that are tight enough through the hips and thighs that a belt wouldn’t be needed. And as a thing long legged fella, I’d rather not accentuate that feature :).
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

Over a 33-year career, I had a sum total of 2 jobs spanning 4 years where a tie was required. The most recent was about 15 years ago, and just meant wearing slacks and a button down shirt. I kept a couple of clip-on ties in my desk for meetings where high level execs might have been present.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pmI don’t think that it is by chance that portrayals of criminals on tv or in movies have them wearing hoodies pulled over their heads.
Watch the old Superman TV show with George Reeves... Even the criminals wore suits!
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:03 pm
eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pmI don’t think that it is by chance that portrayals of criminals on tv or in movies have them wearing hoodies pulled over their heads.
Watch the old Superman TV show with George Reeves... Even the criminals wore suits!
That was then, this is now.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

I used to wear a shirt and tie everyday to work, but have switched to less formal clothing since the outbreak of COVID. If there is ever a return to "normalcy," I'll likely return to wearing ties. I actually like the individuality the tie offers. In more recent years, I've been wearing more casual ties; cotton, linen, or silk grenadines in the summer and wool or cashmere ties for fall/winter.

And yes, I own a few pairs of pants without belt loops. The secret to beltless trousers are finding a good tailor and limiting fluctuations in weight. I have short legs and eliminating the need for a belt elongates my lower body (e.g. the illusion of longer legs).

See here:
https://www.paulstuart.com/dw/image/v2/ ... 00&sh=1960

https://www.slowear.com/us-en/incotex-- ... 9.520.html

Something like this, but I would swap the denim shirt for a plain oxford and possibly a wool knit tie.
https://www.permanentstyle.com/2017/03/ ... users.html
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pm I don’t own a hooded sweatshirt
What if I told you that a hoody is a sweatshirt with a built in scarf, hat, and muffler that you can't drop?

They put you in them as children because it's sensible, and you're like "yup, this works, look no further for a more efficient/optimal clothing choice". Like velcro shoes and slip on sneakers. Never used to see those for adults, but how can you tell someone they have to tie their shoes when they know they don't have to tie their shoes?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

Would it be too shocking to say I wear more ties and belts in casual/away from work settings?

Not allowed to wear my own clothing in production environment. But I find more 'business casual' or 'business' attire generally

MORE functional than casual. Blazers with well sorted inner pockets makes it easier to organize all the junk I have around.

Also a belt allows me to 'mount' heavy things that can either cause pants to slide/sag when placed in pockets.

I've never been mistaken for the help. but I also don't wear black on white.
smectym

Post by smectym »

Casper wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:31 pm Haven't read all the replies, but was surprised at how many say their pants would fall down if they didn't wear a belt. Unless you're overweight (as a couple posters did mention), if your pants fit halfway decently they shouldn't fall down without a belt. That said, I still wear a belt so the back of my pants don't creep down when I bend over, sit down, and such.
Back when everyone just wore Levis (which I guess was before we had to get a “real job”) belts were largely unknown. I always assumed belts were for “dress pants.”
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this as well? I'm thinking how ruthless to be when discarding my ties and belts that I currently have.
My preschool son wears ties and bowties every day. Usually he's quite well dressed. Think business casual lite, plus tie.

Last year, he asked Santa for a collection of bowties, and he got 35 of them.

He is the only person in preschool who insists on dressing like this. I have no idea how he decided this was appropriate but maybe he got it from his older sister. At 20 months she was trying to tell me her clothes don't match. :shock:

So no, I don't think people are dressing down nowadays.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

Worked in Silicon Valley for decades.Pre pandemic C level execs still frequently wear suits for shareholder events etc and common to see them hanging on the back of office doors. Jacket, no tie much more common among execs for daily wear.

But post pandemic, I went to a critical business meetings with senior execs from a traditional megacorp, a name you would know. Most wear polo shirts and expensive jeans. Except for one megacorp EVP wearing a hawaiian(!).
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Until I lost my job in 2010 I wore a tie and belt every day (along with a suit and a French cuffed shirt). Since then the jobs I've had have gotten progressively less and less formal. To the point now where I'm wearing jeans and an untucked shirt (1099 contractor). Do I feel a bit like a slob? Absolutely. Do I care? Not anymore. Pay me more and I would be more than happy to dress better.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
kcxie

Post by kcxie »

so many people here mentioned that they will not wear tie and suit unless for wedding or funeral.
if people are so confident without suit and tie, why still wear it for wedding and funeral?
maybe one day everyone can show up in wedding or funeral in shorts and sandals
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

unclescrooge wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:00 pm
Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this as well? I'm thinking how ruthless to be when discarding my ties and belts that I currently have.
My preschool son wears ties and bowties every day. Usually he's quite well dressed. Think business casual lite, plus tie.

Last year, he asked Santa for a collection of bowties, and he got 35 of them.

He is the only person in preschool who insists on dressing like this. I have no idea how he decided this was appropriate but maybe he got it from his older sister. At 20 months she was trying to tell me her clothes don't match. :shock:

So no, I don't think people are dressing down nowadays.
He must be watching the TV show Young Sheldon.
Last edited by mrmass on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

dreamingbutterfly wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:19 am It's the content of your character, not the clothes you wear.
Although this thought is nice, what one chooses to wear does provide some information about a person. If you dress like a bum some people might think, “Bum!” But hey, maybe you don’t care what they think! Suits and ties are so rare in some parts (like where I live) that people really do stand out when they are dressed nicely. Because it takes extra effort to dress well, and this extra effort is no longer required, the trend is to not bother.
dillybob

Post by dillybob »

I worked overnight freight @ home depot for over a year. I wore a belt with my khaki pants. Although my polo shirt covered it up.

I love that kind of attire, and I find even formal attire when doing physical based labor to be very professional. I honestly believe it harbors a good work environment too

I just like formality when it comes to the workplace though. For example, at Amazon they could careless. Hell, some of the managers/supervisors have gauges, cotton candy hair, etc.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

GoldenFinch wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:23 am
Although this thought is nice, what one chooses to wear does provide some information about a person. If you dress like a bum some people might think, “Bum!” But hey, maybe you don’t care what they think!
I have a friend that is quite wealthy, owns a very successful business, and has a half a dozen airplanes including some multi-million dollar WWII fighters. I've never once seen him in anything but jeans and a t-shirt. He doesn't care what anyone thinks. Fortunately he's grown out of his bald spot with pony tail phase.
Running Bum

Post by Running Bum »

Belts are out of style? Is this why you see some kids with their pants halfway down their butt or lower? No thanks.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Beensabu wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm
eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pm I don’t own a hooded sweatshirt
What if I told you that a hoody is a sweatshirt with a built in scarf, hat, and muffler that you can't drop?

They put you in them as children because it's sensible, and you're like "yup, this works, look no further for a more efficient/optimal clothing choice". Like velcro shoes and slip on sneakers. Never used to see those for adults, but how can you tell someone they have to tie their shoes when they know they don't have to tie their shoes?
You could tell me that, but that won’t ever change my mind. When I have to be out in the cold for an extended period of time, I have better cold climate clothes than a hooded sweatshirt. Think parkas, sweaters, gaiters, ski hats, etc.
I agree that hooded sweatshirts make sense for children that can’t correctly decide what to wear or are prone to losing small, disconnected items of clothing.
My objection to the hooded sweatshirt is when, mostly males, wear them as a fashion statement. They are trying to emulate gangster rappers, not exactly great role models. Think how ridiculous it is for someone to wear a hooded sweatshirt while driving a car. Is that safe? Yet, I can’t count the number of times that I have seen that. Talk about tunnel vision.
Velcro sneakers remind me too much of nursing home patients; a lot of female patients wear them. Don’t ask me how I know. I do wear slip on footwear - boat shoes, mostly.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

kcxie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:22 am so many people here mentioned that they will not wear tie and suit unless for wedding or funeral.
if people are so confident without suit and tie, why still wear it for wedding and funeral?
maybe one day everyone can show up in wedding or funeral in shorts and sandals
People dress up and try to look their best at weddings and funerals as a sign of respect and honor to the bride and groom and their families at weddings and to the family of the deceased at funerals.
journey

Post by journey »

Interesting that 'people' actually refers to men/menswear. Word choice matters and we can do better.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

I take sort of a seasonal approach. I wear dress shirts, pants with a belt, and black or brown shoes on most days at work (I’m a teacher). I wear ties during the first couple weeks of school, during the week of parent-teacher conferences, and holiday ties throughout the month of December. It’s my way of mixing things up without having to deal with ties for the whole year. During the summers and on weekends, I wear t-shirts or Hawaiian shirts, shorts or khakis, and flip-flops.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 am
JupiterJones wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm Go do a Google image search for a phrase like "people downtown 1940" and see what pops up. Notice how all the men (and most of the women) are wearing hats? And then one day--poof--they all stopped? Thus goeth the tie.
A friend of mine has this great picture of the entrance to Wrigley Field before a Cubs game in like 1947.

All the men (and it's pretty much all men) queueing outside are in full suits with hats... going to a ball game.

There are a few twenty-somethings with bare heads... Rebels!

It is weird how hats just stopped being a thing... Like over 5-10 years? What caused that change?
I've heard that Kennedy is to blame for it. He was a the first U.S. president to not wear a hat at his inauguration. Sort of how Clark Gable supposedly caused a drop in undershirt sales due to not wearing one in "It Happened One Night". Who knows if either is really true.

Of course, I guess now men wear hats more than ever. They're just ridiculous-looking baseball hats instead of snazzy fedoras. Even indoors and when sitting down to eat (if I had tried that as a kid, I would've had that hat slapped off my head so hard...).

Fashion... go figure.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"