Do people still wear ties and belts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Caduceus

Do people still wear ties and belts?

Post by Caduceus »

I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this as well? I'm thinking how ruthless to be when discarding my ties and belts that I currently have.
sureshoe

Re: Do people still wear ties and belts?

Post by sureshoe »

I still wear a tie and jacket to any wedding unless there is an explicit dress code that goes against that. Fortunately, I don't have many funerals, but if I did, I would not consider wearing anything less than a jacket and tie. I'm not interviewing for jobs, but unless they wore ties, I wouldn't wear a tie to an interview. I can't think of the last candidate I saw that did.

I still wear a belt every day for utility rather than looks.

I don't think there are many jobs left where you need to have a tie.

3-5 ties, 1-2 jackets, 1-3 pairs of dress slacks, 1 brown dress shoe, 1 black dress shoe is probably good for the next 5-15 years. That's what I have.
Last edited by sureshoe on Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
masonstone

Post by masonstone »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

I'm wondering if others have noticed this as well? I'm thinking how ruthless to be when discarding my ties and belts that I currently have.
I stopped wearing Ties but still wear a belt.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I wear a belt every time I wear pants, which certainly isn't every day now that I am WFH. A wear a tie every Sunday for church and usually when I have a public speaking engagement for work, but otherwise never.

I have a handful of belts and about a dozen ties; I suspect it will be a decade or two before I purchase another.
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

As a side note, I'm getting ready to throw out most of my dress socks which are stuffing my drawers full now that I have more athletic socks (wearing tennis shoes vs. dress shoes every day).
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

i agree that ties are a must in fewer situations. That is a good thing. I can't imagine not wearing a belt unless wearing athletic wear or something similar.

If the ties or belts are over 20 years old they should probably be disposed anyway.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

A belt is still required to avoid a wardrobe malfunction.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

I'm attorney at a large regional firm. I wear a suit and tie to court, or certain client meetings (mostly introductory or presentation oriented). I no longer wear a tie day-to-day, or even for certain proceedings where I did in the past (like depositions). I've never really liked ties. To me, its always felt like I was being slowly choked by someone that lacked the courage of their convictions. So good riddance.

Jackets and dress shoes are still a staple of my wardrobe, but I'm slowly becoming an outlier, especially on the shoes. I'm 37, so not like I'm part of some old guard or anything, but both the newer lawyers and pandemic dress codes have altered the norms here pretty fast.

Belts are very common in my office, although I do notice the younger set wear them less.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Ties...nope Haven't needed one in years. My wedding was the last time I believe.

Belt, odd question but Pants to work yes a belt. Some jeans I can without a belt. My fat sweats/casual stretchy things. no belt.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I'll wear a tie when my wife and I go out to dinner on important holidays, or to the major downtown theater (stage, not movie), or to a banquet dinner, but that's about it.

-B
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Do they sell pants without belt loops? If the loops are there, they look better filled.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I threw out my last tie maybe 2 years ago. I had not worn one since a job interview circa 2010 and I absolutely hate them. I am also considering getting rid of my blazer jacket since I never wear it anymore and never felt right wearing it anyway. I still have a suit that I would wear to a formal occasion if needed without a tie. Nobody wears suits and ties to job interviews in my field anymore. Our CEO doesn't wear a tie unless he is having his photo taken for some kind of press photo.

I wear a belt every day and don't leave the house without one. For both looks and utility purposes.

One nice benefit of having financial security is not having to feel like you need to wear a specific item to conform to another person's, or society's outdated ideals of "nice attire". To me that means I'm never wearing a tie again for the rest of my life.

It's funny how I've been offered every job in my life where I didn't wear a tie to the interview, but was rejected for several where I did wear a tie (though those were all 10+ years ago). I think that not only speaks to how little an interviewer actually cares if you wear a tie to an interview, but the fact that I felt more comfortable answering difficult questions and speaking about myself without a stupid rope tied around my neck.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I've never heard of not wearing a belt. Do these pants have (strong) elastic waistbands or... how are these pants staying up without being uncomfortably tight at times?
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

The only time I have worn a tie is for weddings in the past 5 years although my ties and suit/jackets are dated so the effect was not especially stylish. I just haven't felt the need to upgrade my "dressy" wardrobe since I don't enjoy wearing any of it. I guess that's why I hang on to an old navy blazer, timeless in my fashion simple mind.

I wear a belt if the pants have loops.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

MegaCorp dispensed with the old business attire in the 1990ties. The most important driver for the change was our operational group received new leadership. The new person was a runner. After running in Florida's August sun, then going back to his office, he quickly decided no need for those suits and ties in our offices.

We were supposed to wear suit and tie if meeting a customer, but few of us did. I was in sales, so I took my lead from what my customers wore. If they were business casual, I was dressed the same way. Sometimes the customer's bigwigs would attend a meeting, so then the whole group and I would be in suit and tie. Fortunately, those dress up days were rare.

I did wear a tie and suit for the weddings of two of our daughters. Had to look spiffed up for the photos. The other daughter had her ceremony on a beach, so I wore a tropical shirt if I remember correctly.

Today I wear shorts and a tee-shirt most of the time. When I'm out and about with friends, I will wear shorts and a polo shirt. That is my extent of "dressing up."

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Trism

Post by Trism »

I've been working from home almost exclusively since ~2009 and I almost never wear pants.

I'm only half joking.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I've worn a tie to work for nearly my entire working career and in years past have posted on this very forum about how I thought they should still be part of anyone's professional attire despite the "kids these days" eschewing them.

Then came COVID.

The whole work-from-home shift has upended a lot of business traditions, including the whole idea of "proper" work clothes. I don't think the tie is going to survive beyond a few certain jobs/situations. Nor, I begrudgingly now admit, should it.

Go do a Google image search for a phrase like "people downtown 1940" and see what pops up. Notice how all the men (and most of the women) are wearing hats? And then one day--poof--they all stopped? Thus goeth the tie.

Now belts? No idea what you're talking about there. Unless I decide to switch to Sansabelt trousers, I'm going to still need those, fashionable or not!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
edgeagg

Post by edgeagg »

1) I wear a belt, else my pants fall off.
2) If I wear a tie, my head falls off.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

^^ Ties were on their way out before COVID. Suit with no tie or sport coat with no tie was formal enough for most situations for 4-5 years prior to COVID.
Personally I never liked ties so was happy with their downfall.
Belts still in.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:31 pm I'm attorney at a large regional firm. I wear a suit and tie to court, or certain client meetings (mostly introductory or presentation oriented). I no longer wear a tie day-to-day, or even for certain proceedings where I did in the past (like depositions). I've never really liked ties. To me, its always felt like I was being slowly choked by someone that lacked the courage of their convictions. So good riddance.

Jackets and dress shoes are still a staple of my wardrobe, but I'm slowly becoming an outlier, especially on the shoes. I'm 37, so not like I'm part of some old guard or anything, but both the newer lawyers and pandemic dress codes have altered the norms here pretty fast.

Belts are very common in my office, although I do notice the younger set wear them less.
You may be an outlier, but a guy always looks sharp in dress clothes. Understand about the tie - women hate pantyhose.
sport

Post by sport »

What about sock garters :?:
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Suit with tie and belt, every single day to work.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I bought a few new ties last year, I still haven't worn them yet. I do wear shirt, tie, suits, belts and shoes, no suspenders though.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Chris K Jones

Post by Chris K Jones »

I stopped wearing a tie to work every day more than 10 years ago. I wear ties to weddings, funerals, job interviews, court appearances and might wear them to important religious services (Baptisms, Christmas, Easter, Bar/Bat mitzvahs, etc).

I wear a belt all the time. Otherwise, my pants would fall down :)
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm Suit with tie and belt, every single day to work.
Sharkskin suit?

Belts are not cool for saggers let them hang down showing rear view.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

For about 30 years.....if I wore a tie to work, I'd spend the day answering the question "Who are you interviewing with?".

For funerals, sure. Sport coat and tie. I don't think I own a matching suit anymore. My sport coat was given to me by my grandmother when I graduated college in 1985. It's very "professor" looking kinda tweed.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

I only wear ties to weddings and funerals. There is just no other occasion where I could see the reason to wear one now (I'm semi-retired). I haven't worn one to work since the late-90s (I'm federal govt. attorney and I just stopped wearing ties one day and nobody said anything). Have never worn one to dinner or any kind of show.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pmIf pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.
In my experience across numerous brands and several decades, 2 pants of exactly the same labelled size are not the same actual size, making it difficult to consistently find pants that fit properly.

Also, if they fit properly when I put them on after a wash, they stretch over the course of the day as I move.

Lastly, I'm pretty fashion ignorant, but it is still my understanding that a belt serves the same aesthetic function as baseboard trim in a house - it lends visual contrast and sharpens up the overall appearance of a visual transition between pants and shirt. Obviously, that only applies if you're wearing a tucked in shirt.

Regarding ties, again, I'm pretty fashion ignorant. I don't know how to pull of not wearing a tie as a trendy approach to formal settings.

- If I know the setting is formal, I default to wearing a tie because it's what my mother taught me to do.
- If I'm not sure if the setting is formal, but it's important, I default to wearing a tie to play it safe.
- If I'm not sure if the setting is formal, and it's not important, I don't bother wearing a tie.

I have managed to avoid jobs where ties are the expected norm. There's a chance I earn less money that I could because of this, but I don't care.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

I wear a belt because I am fat and need assistance holding up my pants.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
dbr

Post by dbr »

It was some time back that all the executives at megacorp stopped wearing ties with their suits. The astonishing thing is how quickly and how uniformly they all fell into line with the same uniform. This proved the fact that rigid conformity was the rule as much as ever.

As for me "Reveille, reveille, all hands heave out and trice up your bunks. The uniform of the day is . . . "

But seriously I haven't worked where a tie is worn for sixty years or more with the exception of certain uniforms once for awhile.

But it does still bother me that people won't put on a tie for a wedding or a funeral. Some churches are attended by a gang of slobs these days. And I don't think a well tailored suit looks right without a tie. It is just an issue of esthetics. I would have more respect for those executives if they had ditched the suit along with the tie.
crossbow

Post by crossbow »

Definitely - it's more presentable overall. You never know when you might need to stand up in the middle of a Zoom call.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I wear a belt to keep my pants from falling down.

to "formal" events, I wear khakis and a polo, maybe a button up shirt. thats really it. If I'm forced to go to a wedding (i've been to 3 or 4 the past 10 years, invited to many) I really slum it up...been known to wear a nice khaki short. In the summer I'll wear flip flops to church.

I work from home on zoom and typically have jeans on but probably once or 2 a week i'm wearing a polo and sweatpants.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Anyone wearing the Untucked brand shirts? Great marketing, those shirts look very comfy, and still nice.

The shirts that are traditional length do look very sloppy to me if not tucked in, so I would probably consider trying the Untucked brand shirts if I still was working.

I did go sans belt for a time, had some great suspenders.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I should also note that when I do wear a belt, I usually wear pants.
pgs59

Post by pgs59 »

Ties and belts? I live in South Florida, and I can't remember the last time I wore long pants.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm I've noticed that many men now no longer wear ties (even to formal occasions that might have historically "required" ties) and also that formal office attire doesn't seem to require a belt now, even for fields that might traditionally have expected it. I actually quite like it as it's a much cleaner look. If pants fit properly, there's no particular reason men need to wear a belt.

Now that I'm retired, I have far fewer occasions to wear a tie. I do wear a tie to occasions like weddings, funerals, etc.
But I wear belts with all pants that have belt loops. It looks silly to my eyes without a belt.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

retire2022 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:37 pm
runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:32 pm Suit with tie and belt, every single day to work.
Sharkskin suit?

Belts are not cool for saggers let them hang down showing rear view.
The most inexpensive "decent looking" suits I can find.
RANkiDEr

Post by RANkiDEr »

Rarely if ever wear a tie.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

My standard work atire is a tshirt and pajama pants, sweat pants if I feel the need to dress up
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

hoofaman wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:20 pm My standard work atire is a tshirt and pajama pants, sweat pants if I feel the need to dress up
Since I am retired my standard outfit now is my birthday suit, no laundry to do!
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

I never wore a tie or jacket in the office. It was usually just pants and a shirt.
In the last couple of years, I lost a bunch of weight and bought some new pants. I have found that I don't need a belt anymore.
I have around 4 pants (two slacks, and two jeans) that I wear regularly and don't bother with a belt.
edit: In fall/winter I wear sweaters and long sleeve shirts that hide the belt loops of my pants.
In spring/summer, I wear T-shirts and they also usually hide the belt loops. I almost never tuck in my shirts.
rob

Post by rob »

I gave up the full suit & tie in the early noughties, although wear a sports coat a few times a month... As for a belt - I would get arrested for exposure if I didn't wear a belt :D I know it's trendy now but luckily I've never been that....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Ties are evil.

I do appreciate a good belt.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:06 pm I wear a belt because I am fat and need assistance holding up my pants.
Sweat pants to zoom events are perfectly acceptable.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I wear a belt.

Ties at weddings and (some) funerals. Can't remember the last time I wore a tie for anything else.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

If I did not have a belt on, my pants would hit the floor.
loukycpa

Post by loukycpa »

CPA and a partner in a large regional public accounting firm. I bought the first two tailored suits I have ever owned in 2016. I have since disposed of any off the rack suits I owned since these two are now plenty. I wear one or the other maybe 10 times a year (presentation type meeting, event or funeral), and always with a tie. Still own a few sport coats but can't remember last time I bothered with wearing one.

I suspect when another dinosaur or two in my office retire it will be hard to expect anyone to wear a suit. Ever.

Belts are standard and aren't going away that I can tell. Unless some trend setter wants to bring back suspenders.
Last edited by loukycpa on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"The safe assumption for an investor is that over the next hundred years, the currency is going to zero." - Charlie Munger
loukycpa

Post by loukycpa »

delete
"The safe assumption for an investor is that over the next hundred years, the currency is going to zero." - Charlie Munger
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I turned down a job once that required ties everyday. Never regretted that decision.
riverant

Post by riverant »

Since I started work in 2007, my office went from requiring suits, to shirt/tie but jacket optional, to no ties, to business casual (most still wear dress shirts, but some polos show up here and there).

Maybe I'm out of it, but I simply cannot endorse not wearing a belt unless you're in athletic pants. If there are belt loops, a belt must be worn in my mind. If there are dress pants without belt loops, I might question if those are in fact women's pants.