Do people still wear ties and belts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Beensabu

Re: Do people still wear ties and belts?

Post by Beensabu »

eddot98 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:17 am
Beensabu wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:48 pm
eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pm I don’t own a hooded sweatshirt
What if I told you that a hoody is a sweatshirt with a built in scarf, hat, and muffler that you can't drop?

They put you in them as children because it's sensible, and you're like "yup, this works, look no further for a more efficient/optimal clothing choice". Like velcro shoes and slip on sneakers. Never used to see those for adults, but how can you tell someone they have to tie their shoes when they know they don't have to tie their shoes?
You could tell me that, but that won’t ever change my mind. When I have to be out in the cold for an extended period of time, I have better cold climate clothes than a hooded sweatshirt. Think parkas, sweaters, gaiters, ski hats, etc.
I agree that hooded sweatshirts make sense for children that can’t correctly decide what to wear or are prone to losing small, disconnected items of clothing.
My objection to the hooded sweatshirt is when, mostly males, wear them as a fashion statement. They are trying to emulate gangster rappers, not exactly great role models. Think how ridiculous it is for someone to wear a hooded sweatshirt while driving a car. Is that safe? Yet, I can’t count the number of times that I have seen that. Talk about tunnel vision.
Velcro sneakers remind me too much of nursing home patients; a lot of female patients wear them. Don’t ask me how I know. I do wear slip on footwear - boat shoes, mostly.
Okay, Okay. :) To each their own. I've grown up and primarily lived in not snow weather, so a hoody (or hoody plus jacket if cooold) is all I need. Hoody and jeans. And slip on sneakers. And a beanie. I like my beanie. As a no longer child, I still am prone to losing small, disconnected items. For a brief moment in time, I forayed out into "fashion" -- otherwise known as uncomfortable and expensive things you'd rather not have to pay for or wear that are currently deemed to be a socially desirable aesthetic. But I came back to the fold of comfort and ease. Everything else is complicated, so I can at least wear things that aren't and that feel good.

As far as the OP, ties are going the way of the corset. People like to breathe.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

kcxie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:22 am so many people here mentioned that they will not wear tie and suit unless for wedding or funeral.
if people are so confident without suit and tie, why still wear it for wedding and funeral?
maybe one day everyone can show up in wedding or funeral in shorts and sandals
It’s not unusual for big life events to include special costumes that aren’t worn or appropriate in daily life. People also sometimes wear tuxedos to weddings, but you would look awfully funny wearing one to the office (there was actually an episode of The Office where that was a gag). Likewise, women don’t go around wearing white wedding dresses when they aren’t getting married even though they tend to look good in them.

I think ties will still be present for certain occasions for a long time. England is only now beginning to phase out powdered wigs for lawyers and judges. They were last appropriate for daily wear around 200 years ago. Likewise, I think lawyers will probably wearing ties in court for a long time.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

DarkMatter731 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:43 am I'm working at an investment firm next year.

I absolutely still wear a tie. I think looking good is incredibly important - in a client-driven business, if you can't look after yourself, how can you look after billions of dollars in assets?
Sure. But you can also look good without a tie. One does not preclude the other. The no-tie-but-add-a-pocket-square look seems to be pretty popular among financial types around here, and I think that looks pretty snappy.

More than that, you also don't want to look out-of-step with the times, and I'm afraid the tie is starting to become that whether we like it or not.

You know those old men who still wear hats and hike their pants* way up? They do that because that was what they were initially trained to think of as "looking good". Things evolved... they didn't. Now they look silly. Or maybe endearing. But not "professional" in either case.

Heck, if men had 200-year-plus lifespans, I bet we'd see old dudes walking around in tailcoats, cravats, and top hats still. :D

* The waistline of pants were much higher back in the day. I'd imagine that wearing modern pants as they were intended must feel uncomfortably like wearing a pair of lowriders by comparison.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
sport

Post by sport »

JupiterJones wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 am
JupiterJones wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm Go do a Google image search for a phrase like "people downtown 1940" and see what pops up. Notice how all the men (and most of the women) are wearing hats? And then one day--poof--they all stopped? Thus goeth the tie.
A friend of mine has this great picture of the entrance to Wrigley Field before a Cubs game in like 1947.

All the men (and it's pretty much all men) queueing outside are in full suits with hats... going to a ball game.

There are a few twenty-somethings with bare heads... Rebels!

It is weird how hats just stopped being a thing... Like over 5-10 years? What caused that change?
I've heard that Kennedy is to blame for it. He was a the first U.S. president to not wear a hat at his inauguration. Sort of how Clark Gable supposedly caused a drop in undershirt sales due to not wearing one in "It Happened One Night". Who knows if either is really true.

Of course, I guess now men wear hats more than ever. They're just ridiculous-looking baseball hats instead of snazzy fedoras. Even indoors and when sitting down to eat (if I had tried that as a kid, I would've had that hat slapped off my head so hard...).

Fashion... go figure.
It's all part of a long term trend in our society to be "less genteel". I can remember when people used to dress up to go downtown to shop. The ladies even wore white cotton gloves and, or course, hats. People used to get dressed up to take a plane or train trip. They now advertise things on TV that were not even whispered about in polite company.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

JupiterJones wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 am
HomerJ wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 am
JupiterJones wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:22 pm Go do a Google image search for a phrase like "people downtown 1940" and see what pops up. Notice how all the men (and most of the women) are wearing hats? And then one day--poof--they all stopped? Thus goeth the tie.
A friend of mine has this great picture of the entrance to Wrigley Field before a Cubs game in like 1947.

All the men (and it's pretty much all men) queueing outside are in full suits with hats... going to a ball game.

There are a few twenty-somethings with bare heads... Rebels!

It is weird how hats just stopped being a thing... Like over 5-10 years? What caused that change?
I've heard that Kennedy is to blame for it. He was a the first U.S. president to not wear a hat at his inauguration. Sort of how Clark Gable supposedly caused a drop in undershirt sales due to not wearing one in "It Happened One Night". Who knows if either is really true.

Of course, I guess now men wear hats more than ever. They're just ridiculous-looking baseball hats instead of snazzy fedoras. Even indoors and when sitting down to eat (if I had tried that as a kid, I would've had that hat slapped off my head so hard...).

Fashion... go figure.
Just ask William Henry Harrison how going hatless went for him!
prodigal

Post by prodigal »

Before I retired I worked outside the US for many years. Expectations for appropriate office wear vary among cultures. In the UAE, for instance, I wore a long-sleeved dress shirt and tie to work every day, even in summer. I carried a sport jacket but it hung on the office coat rack most of the time. I would slip the jacket on to meet visitors from outside the organization. I wore a suit only for important meetings involving VIPs. The pandemic changed expectations a bit but if I was in a Teams meeting that included external people, still jacket and tie. (OK, with jeans sometimes).
Since retirement and moving to the US I've worn a tie a few times. The last time was at a fund-raising dinner for a local historic house/museum, some 50 people in attendance and I was one of only two gentlemen wearing a tie. I guess I have some cultural adjustments to make. . .
I carry my cell phone in a belt holster so I always wear a belt.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm What is the expected attire for a job interview these days? I'm retired so it's not for me, but my son will be graduating with an engineering degree at the end of this year and my wife and I were just talking yesterday about buying him a suit. Is a suit and tie still what interviewers want to see or am I showing my age?
Your son can always ask the recruiter. Especially for new-grad hires, it's a perfectly reasonable question.

I interviewed a candidate for a senior engineering manager position a couple days ago. I was wearing a hoodie and pajama bottoms (it was a video call), he was wearing a t-shirt and quarter-zip sweatshirt.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

journey wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:55 am Interesting that 'people' actually refers to men/menswear. Word choice matters and we can do better.
I didn't use the word(s), but huh :confused
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm What is the expected attire for a job interview these days? I'm retired so it's not for me, but my son will be graduating with an engineering degree at the end of this year and my wife and I were just talking yesterday about buying him a suit. Is a suit and tie still what interviewers want to see or am I showing my age?
Business casual. Decent leather shoes, khakis/slacks and a bottom down shirt with a collar. Full suit and tie is overkill except for some very formal professions like some finance, legal jobs that are still old school.

A a chemist, day to day, I generally wear khakis and either a collared polo shirt or button down shirt, sweaters in winter, and I wear comfortable walking shoes because I am on my feet all day. Since I am in a labcoat I suppose the shirt isn't to important, I could wear an obnoxious t-shirt and noone would know. I do indeed wear a belt but haven't worn a tie in years. I'd only wear that for very formal occasions.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Ron wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:07 am Heck, I'm not even getting dressed up for my own funeral - that's why I opted for cremation 😎 ...

- Ron
Good thoughts I like to follow 🤣
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
MJS

Post by MJS »

journey wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:55 am Interesting that 'people' actually refers to men/menswear. Word choice matters and we can do better.
Hey, I wore ties back in the 1980s, and stopped wearing belts by 1995. I'm sure the OP meant to include everyone.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Bacon F.
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

Caduceus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:23 pm Do people still wear ties and belts?
I see plenty people around who wear these regularly!!!
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
journey

Post by journey »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 pm
My comment was not to any one person. Rather, it was to the thread's title in which the word 'people' appears to mean men and the replies are about what men do or do not wear. Usually 'people' means all people so it seemed like an odd word choice in the title, that’s all.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I haven't owned a tie nor had one around my neck since the mid '90s. I do wear a belt but it's not visible as I don't tuck in my shirts.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Are belts considered dressing up?
Silentnight

Post by Silentnight »

One of the reasons I like watching the news is I enjoy seeing the clothing worn by those on the set. I enjoy the ties and the shirts and suitcoats that the men wear.
(And I think women wearing sleeveless dresses in the middle of winter up here in the North is silly. TV news is about the only time I see women dressing up too.)
Capricorn51

Post by Capricorn51 »

Late reply. Just to note that even in the US there are substantial regional differences. More formal in the Northeast (at least pre-pandemic), and less formal in the West and Southwest. I've been in business meetings in S. California, and except in downtown legal offices, ties are uncommon.
artibug

Post by artibug »

Not to turn this into a political talk.

But DH works at VA. During the orientation, VA police ask them not to wear ties to work because In case of altercation, ties can be used to harm i.e. choke, tie the hands etc the wearer. And the police had stories to back this up. After this, HD never wore a tie to work again.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

artibug wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:51 am Not to turn this into a political talk.

But DH works at VA. During the orientation, VA police ask them not to wear ties to work because In case of altercation, ties can be used to harm i.e. choke, tie the hands etc the wearer. And the police had stories to back this up. After this, HD never wore a tie to work again.
Don’t forget the dangers of wearing a tie around machinery. I think there’s an inherent danger to having what amounts to a rope around your neck all day.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

alfaspider wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:42 am
artibug wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:51 am Not to turn this into a political talk.

Don’t forget the dangers of wearing a tie around machinery. I think there’s an inherent danger to having what amounts to a rope around your neck all day.
Or an industrial office paper shredder! :shock:
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

alfaspider wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:42 am Don’t forget the dangers of wearing a tie around machinery. I think there’s an inherent danger to having what amounts to a rope around your neck all day.
Along the lines of this sage advice...
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
quietseas

Post by quietseas »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:33 pm
Your son can always ask the recruiter. Especially for new-grad hires, it's a perfectly reasonable question.

I interviewed a candidate for a senior engineering manager position a couple days ago. I was wearing a hoodie and pajama bottoms (it was a video call), he was wearing a t-shirt and quarter-zip sweatshirt.
The son should ask his college career center about recommended attire. It may even be on their web site. I don't think it is a mistake to have a well fitting suit. He may not need it very often at a tech company or start up, but engineering grads also go to work at more staid companies in industries like energy, utilities, defense, and government. If you look at the S&P 500 companies I'd say a recent college grad should plan to wear a suit/tie at an interview for at least half of them.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Through 2016 I worked at a company that required formal dress once you got to manager level or above. In 2012 or so they allowed you to wear jeans on fridays as their concession to work life balance.

Ties were sort of optional and sort of not. The more senior you were the less optional. I hated ties so I adopted pocket squares instead.

From 2016 to 2019 I worked at a company that required full suit and tie for leadership. For most we would take the tie off during the day and put it on for meetings with the ceo or external facing meetings when they came up.

My boss however told me Multiple times I really should be wearing my tie at all times.

Started working in 2019 for a company where dress code was jeans and shirts. Button down shirts transitioned mostly to sweat shirts. There was a hoodie but it was still pretty rare and not necessarily looked well upon.

Joined a new company recently and full sweats to work in the office is a thing.

Personally I think that’s too far. As are hoodies. But I’m down with jeans and sweats as long as you don’t look like you just crawled out of bed.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I wore a suit and tie almost every day for a couple of years, a decade ago. Since then, I've been in a casual megacorp workplace.

I haven't purchased a tie for 10 years, and I was recently thinking of getting one for special occasions, and maybe a new sportcoat. I will have to ask the salesperson what the typical tie widths are these days - I have no idea. :confused
Bogle-007

Post by Bogle-007 »

Like this, of course (Italian soccer coach Roberto Mancini)!
Last edited by Bogle-007 on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gort

Post by Gort »

I think the OP's word choice is appropriate and there is no need to "do better." While most commonly a menswear item, many women wear ties (and belts) as part of their work uniform such as commercial airline pilots, police officers, military and restaurant workers.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Just a historical note: Franklin Pierce started the tradition of presidents wearing a top hat to their inauguration. Washington did not wear a hat at his - nor a wig - that was his natural hair, albeit powdered.

JFK wore a top hat to his inauguration, but took it off for the swearing in and the speech. This followed Eisenhower's example. Going back further, FDR did not wear one during his second inaugural and it was a cold rainy day. Taft did not wear one either but it was so cold and snowy, it was held inside. LBJ was the first not to bother with it at all.

My last job had casual Friday, but it got too casual, so shorts and jeans for men were banned.

Maybe belts and ties will go the way of top hats and wigs and buckles on shoes, hopefully not, but I'm old school.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Gort wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:34 am
I think the OP's word choice is appropriate and there is no need to "do better." While most commonly a menswear item, many women wear ties (and belts) as part of their work uniform such as commercial airline pilots, police officers, military and restaurant workers.
Absolutely incredible what people will get offended by these days.
Gort

Post by Gort »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:41 pm
Methinks the offense started with the "do better" post. :sharebeer
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I wouldn’t mind wearing a suit, tie and vest to work, since it does look awesome, but would simply expect to be compensated for it. It’s also quite comfortable if everything fits properly, which of course it will since it would be custom tailored.

The jacket, tie, vest, shirt, pants, nice shoe combo, plus dry cleaning costs, is not cheap. Probably $1k per outfit, need 10 outfits, custom tailored, dry cleaning, etc. Plus extra time to get ready and drop off and pick up dry cleaning, etc.

An extra $200k/yr ought to cover it.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Now that I think about it, none of the companies I've ever worked for ever actually had a written dress code or HR policy, even though there were certain unwritten "norms" in each office.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

NerdJock wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:02 am I always were a suite and a tie for an interview.
I wouldn't feel comfortable otherwise.

I am a programmer and if I didn't take myself seriously I would have no business programming.
People depend on your programs working right.
Fortunately, for the latter part of my career I was able to take myself seriously without wearing a tie.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

HomerJ wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 am It is weird how hats just stopped being a thing... Like over 5-10 years? What caused that change?
Some say John F. Kennedy had a lot to do with that.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mrmass wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:46 am Meatloaf liked suit jackets and frilly shirts-RIP Meatloaf. Not a bad look :happy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRQ12qjiDBQ
Well, I would do anything for love.
But I won't do that.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

eddot98 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:26 pm IMHO, the USA, and to some extent Western Europe, is becoming sloppier and sloppier.
One person's casual is another person's sloppy.
I don’t think that it is by chance that portrayals of criminals on tv or in movies have them wearing hoodies pulled over their heads.
Ugh, well let's not get into which culture originally popularized hoodies and what that says about tv and film maker stereotypes...
America has become the home of the slobs.
Rant over.
Welcome to the 2000s.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Northern Flicker wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:17 pmI kept a couple of clip-on ties in my desk for meetings where high level execs might have been present.
Clip-on ties! Always in fashion!
:sharebeer
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

kcxie wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:22 am so many people here mentioned that they will not wear tie and suit unless for wedding or funeral.
if people are so confident without suit and tie, why still wear it for wedding and funeral?
maybe one day everyone can show up in wedding or funeral in shorts and sandals
I'm confident wearing a bathing suit. Doesn't mean it's appropriate at most funerals or weddings.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Running Bum wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:58 am Belts are out of style? Is this why you see some kids with their pants halfway down their butt or lower?
That's not why.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 pm
Shoulda said men-persons, I guess. :?
Word police rules.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Silentnight wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pmAnd I think women wearing sleeveless dresses in the middle of winter up here in the North is silly.
You mean inside a heated room?
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Indeed, the suggestion that "we can do better" irks me in more than one way. The OP did nothing wrong and expressed themselves in a non confrontational matter. And frankly, if the responder is hung up on the word "people", I would like to know what is meant by "we". Certainly doesn't include me or some others, I'm sure. Ya' know, word choice matters.........

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Musings wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:34 pm
Indeed, the suggestion that "we can do better" irks me in more than one way. The OP did nothing wrong and expressed themselves in a non confrontational matter. And frankly, if the responder is hung up on the word "people", I would like to know what is meant by "we". Certainly doesn't include me or some others, I'm sure. Ya' know, word choice matters.........

RM
Nothing gets the eyes rolling like a "do better" statement.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:34 pm
HomerJ wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:10 am It is weird how hats just stopped being a thing... Like over 5-10 years? What caused that change?
Saw a YouTube video that attributed the end of hat-wearing to:
1. Lower automobile ceiling heights makes it inconvenient.
2. Less time spent in cold, outdoor weather (walk less, drive more)
3. Growing egalitarian ethos - hats tended to demarcate social and economic class. The wealthy wore different styles than the working class. The only commonly worn hat now is the baseball cap, which cuts across class boundaries.

I suspect #3 also contributes to casual work dress.
Silentnight

Post by Silentnight »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:06 pm
Silentnight wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:07 pmAnd I think women wearing sleeveless dresses in the middle of winter up here in the North is silly.
You mean inside a heated room?
Yep. Inside a heated room. Just my opinion. I'm wearing a big down filled coat outdoors. The men inside are wearing suit jackets and shirts (long or short sleeved). The women are wearing sleeveless dresses. The man is definitely more layered even though he is inside. As a woman, I often run on the cold side of things. I've never been on a news set. I have no idea what they keep the temp at. Maybe it is set at 80 degrees. In which case, my condolences to the males. OTOH, I'm old and when I was a girl my mama taught me to wear layers and long sleeves in winter. No one could accuse me of being a fashionista.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

quietseas wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:06 am
HawkeyePierce wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:33 pm

The son should ask his college career center about recommended attire. It may even be on their web site. I don't think it is a mistake to have a well fitting suit. He may not need it very often at a tech company or start up, but engineering grads also go to work at more staid companies in industries like energy, utilities, defense, and government. If you look at the S&P 500 companies I'd say a recent college grad should plan to wear a suit/tie at an interview for at least half of them.
IME the people who staff career centers rarely have any actual experience in the corporate world. Better to ask someone who works in that environment.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Silentnight wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:39 pmI've never been on a news set. I have no idea what they keep the temp at. Maybe it is set at 80 degrees.
Think bright, warm, lights.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"What if I told you that a hoody is a sweatshirt with a built in scarf, hat, and muffler that you can't drop?"

I still wouldn't want another one. :) I bought my first and only hoodie in 1965 in Rockville MD. Looked like a good idea, but didn't do anything well and wasn't warm enough for fall or spring around DC. A lot of people in my class tried them, but it was a short-lived fad.

Adidas sold them in the early '80s, too.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:26 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:34 pm
Saw a YouTube video that attributed the end of hat-wearing to:
1. Lower automobile ceiling heights makes it inconvenient.
2. Less time spent in cold, outdoor weather (walk less, drive more)
3. Growing egalitarian ethos - hats tended to demarcate social and economic class. The wealthy wore different styles than the working class. The only commonly worn hat now is the baseball cap, which cuts across class boundaries.

I suspect #3 also contributes to casual work dress.
I’d actually argue the opposite. It’s not that people have an egalitarian ethos, it’s that people can’t use it to put themselves above others like they used to.

Fashion has gotten cheaper, and as such, is no longer a reliable means to signal social status. It used to be that certain garnets and dress styles could only be afforded by the wealthy. If you saw someone in Ancient Rome wearing purple, you knew they were high class- ordinary people couldn’t afford it.

Suits in the 20th century denoted membership in at least the professional class. Beyond purchasing the suit, you had to pay to have it pressed to get it looking 100% and you often needed different styles depending on the occasion. Suits aren’t appropriate for physical labor, so it said you did not do physical labor at work.

Today, more efficient manufacturing means almost anybody can afford a decent suit and more wrinkle resistant fabrics/weaves make it cheaper to keep it wrinkle free. The suit also no longer serves to set yourself apart from those who do physical labor because few people do physical labor in the first place- so that’s not a sign of status. A guy in a suit is more likely to be a bank teller or building security guard than an executive.

In short, clothing as a status signifier has mostly broken down. So those concerned with status no longer focus as much on clothing.
LunarOpal

Post by LunarOpal »

Almost every day. I'm a lawyer, that's what my people wear. Mostly.

But...men's fashions have always been are still driven almost entirely by how men in prestigious occupations dress.

Around 1800 or so, the "great renunciation" occurred, when men stopped wearing colorful silks and knee breeches and began dressing mostly in dark colors. This was because factory owners in the early days of the industrial revolution had to wear dark colors to hide coal dust and soot...and because they were the most prestigious men of that era, other men imitated what they were wearing.

Many of the elements of the traditional suit - buttons on the sleeve, notches in the lapel, the design of the lapel itself...were in imitation of various forms of military dress. Again, because of prestige.

Today, of course, the most prestigious men are tech entrepreneurs, and more and more people pattern their dress after these models. History suggests that a change to something like this may be inevitable.

It's not that I'm necessarily a fan of the suit; it's that right now, there's nothing that can really replace it if you want to be sure you look good. You'll always look good in a suit (or as good as you can look). At least if you're over a certain age (and it's younger than you think), you really won't look that good in cargo shorts and a polo.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

LunarOpal wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:33 pm Almost every day. I'm a lawyer, that's what my people wear. Mostly.
Only in court is that still the case. Most larger firms have gone business casual for day to day dress. As an in-house lawyer who does not go to court, the only time I wear a suit professionally is when meeting with foreign government officials (maybe 1-2 times a year).