Suggestions For Window Cleaner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dbc47

Suggestions For Window Cleaner

Post by dbc47 »

Our home has a lot of windows and they always seem to be dirty no matter how many times I clean them. After cleaning they seem to develop a film on them, mostly outside, that I'm able to remove with the normal window cleaning products such as Windex, ammonia or vinegar mix. They will look good for just a few days before the film/dirt redevelops again. It is especially noticeable when the sun shines on them. This drives me nuts as I can't seem to find a solution as to why the glass keeps getting so dirty so quickly. I just can't seem to find the magic formula that will cut the film for more than a few days. Any suggestions? I don't mind buying something that will hopefully solve the problem, but I'm at a loss as what to try.
heartwood

Re: Suggestions For Window Cleaner

Post by heartwood »

Sprayway https://www.spraywayinc.com/content/glass-cleaner

Available in most supermarkets and Target, et al. Ammonia-free.

We find it much better than Windex. They have lots of other products as well.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

Sometimes the towels cause the streaking and film, not the cleaning solution. I found that using microfiber towels works better because it removes the gritty dirt and then using a clean towel it dries the window completely.
Voltaire2.0

Post by Voltaire2.0 »

Sprayaway is good, and I also use Gel-Gloss Glass Wax. It works like the old Bon-Ami glass cleaner, if you're old enough to remember that.
https://www.amazon.com/Gel-Gloss-Streek ... B000IO8GWC
I second the motion for microfiber towels, plus mucho elbow grease.

For outside glass I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/Windex-Outdoor-A ... 989&sr=8-9
Soap the window down well then rinse with your garden hose. Very streak-free.
Last edited by Voltaire2.0 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squirm

Post by squirm »

I steam clean ours.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Warm water, (1) cap full of Mr. Clean multi surface cleaner, a soft bristle brush with longer bristle & a quality squeegee. Clean the window with the soft brush & solution & squeegee from top to bottom. Wipe off top, edges & bottom with clean cotton rag(old undershirt?). Don’t over-do the Mr. Clean. You don’t want it sudsy, just enough to break the surface tension.

I got tired of streaky windows & tried this. It actually works well.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner is the best product for cleaning glass that I have ever used. Originally it was recommended to me by vintage car show driver dudes and now I use it on mirrors and house windows as well.

I do not know if it will address your problem though. Do you know what the offending film is potentially caused by? We have previously dealt with man made pollutants (commercial vehicles) and natural debris (trees that produce heavy pollen) that would have led to a great deal of work if required to keep constantly clean.
billfromct

Post by billfromct »

Use newspaper to wipe off the window cleaner & you won’t get streaks. Wiping with paper towels causes the streaks.

I’ve been using newspaper for about 5 years or so & no problems. Since I don’t buy a newspaper anymore, I save the supermarket flyer & they work just as well.

Edit: you need to “scrunch” up the newspaper into a loose bunch; flat newspaper won’t work

bill
Last edited by billfromct on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"Stoner Invisible Glass Cleaner is the best product for cleaning glass that I have ever used."

Yes. I also learned about it from car collectors maybe 25 or so years ago. And a private pilot fwiw

And it works especially well with crumpled newsprint. I save flyers, newspaper out of Ebay boxes and bum it from neighbors.
Paper towels are typically treated and don't work well, although a few are marked untreated.

Everything mentioned works more or less better than Windex. I hate Windex. Do people still clean windows by wiping horizontally on the inside and vertically on the outside in order to tell where the smears are when they've finished?

"When was Invisible Glass made?
General Electric announced the discovery in December 1938, and it immediately caused a lot of excitement. Blodgett and her “invisible glass,” as the popular press called it, were featured in Time, Life, and The New York Times."
mkc

Post by mkc »

If you can reach to clean (either ground level or tilt-in), a fine microfiber cloth and just water. Distilled if you have hard water. Jude's Miracle Cloth or a Kaywos cloth (basically the same thing). Wet, wring, clean window, leave damp.

I use these for all glass and stainless and tile and granite in our house.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Buy new windows
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/produc ... f-cleaning

Or, for the “poors”—Rain-X.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Windex and Bounty paper towels do the job for me.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"Buy new windows
https://www.pilkington.com/en/us/produc ... f-cleaning"

That would be a great idea for the few people who don't have eaves/overhangs protecting their windows from the rain.

But I'd still have to get the ladder out to clean the inside of the skylights.
Topic Author
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll try a couple of the suggestions that were offered. I've think I've tried Sprayaway before but I hadn't heard of the Stoner Invisible Glass cleaner before so perhaps I'll give it a go.
Thanks again
:sharebeer
Gill

Post by Gill »

squirm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:24 pm I steam clean ours.
What does this mean? Do you mean pressure wash?
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Optimum No Rinse
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Its a bit old school and perhaps a lost art, but decades ago when I cleaned (window cleaner applied with newspaper) my grandmother's windows, I polished them (window polish applied with fine old dishcloths) after cleaning them. Only the polishing would get the results she wanted. A polish has a very mild abrasive, not sure if it would damage today's glass and any films (UV for example) on it.

Today, its just window cleaner and paper towels but it isn't the same as polishing.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
squirm

Post by squirm »

Gill wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:09 am
Gill
No,
I use a steamer. Gets the windows perfectly clean.
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

I scrub & squeegee my windows & doors with a little dishwashing liquid & some vinegar in hot water.
Gill

Post by Gill »

squirm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:18 am
Gill
No,
Interesting. What’s a steamer? We use a window cleaning service - even easier…
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I found this curious too and did an internet search for window steamer. There's quite a range of products available. Who knew?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I was thinking that you just have too much air pollution where you live. There is nothing that you personally can do about the windows except maybe cover them up.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am I was thinking that you just have too much air pollution where you live. There is nothing that you personally can do about the windows except maybe cover them up.
It's weird. I live in the mountains, nowhere near a city. As far as I can tell we have little or no pollution around where I live, but what do I know?
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

dbc47 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am
livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:46 am I was thinking that you just have too much air pollution where you live. There is nothing that you personally can do about the windows except maybe cover them up.
It's weird. I live in the mountains, nowhere near a city. As far as I can tell we have little or no pollution around where I live, but what do I know?
I was wondering the same thing.

It sounds like you get the windows clean but they film up pretty quickly after that, mostly on the outside. Something in the air does seem like the most likely culprit. Is it all around the house or just one side (maybe near a pollution source)? Do your neighbors have the same issues? Is it an oily film or particulate matter? These are the questions I would be thinking of.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

dbc47 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:18 am
Any pine or evergreen trees around you? Dust? Smoke from fires? We have spider, lizard, and bird poop on our windows. They don't stay clean.

What shows up on your vehicles?

Anyways, I have never heard of spontaneous creation of mass in modern times.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Gill wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:12 am
squirm wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:18 am
Gill
No,
Interesting. What’s a steamer? We use a window cleaning service - even easier…
Gill
If you don't use a service, a steamer is next to best, imo. While I'm at it, i clean the sills, tile grout, bathroom mirrors, car windows, etc.