best plumbers epoxy (or flex seal) for copper pipe

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mrtimo

best plumbers epoxy (or flex seal) for copper pipe

Post by mrtimo »

I have a slow leak in a pipe connection in my utility room (no dry wall to remove). Here is a picture: https://ibb.co/bFrkw10 and here is another https://ibb.co/dpMhjbB (it is the one on the left)

It leaks 12 oz. in a week. It is the warm water pipe that heads up to the main bathroom. It seems to leak more if we use the shower/bath more (but that could just be my imagination).

I thought I'd try to do some plumbers epoxy or flex seal. A few questions:
I've never used these products, which product would be best here? This seems to be the most popular one on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-PC-P ... 4QYSI&th=1

There is no harm in using the a solution like this, right? If it does not work I can try to fix it the proper way later...

Thanks!
HomeStretch

Re: best plumbers epoxy (or flex seal) for copper pipe

Post by HomeStretch »

I had a leak due to a crack in a main waste copper pipe and used Flex Tape brand (as seen on TV!) as a temporary fix until the plumber could come in to replace the pipe. It worked surprisingly well - zero leaking for several days after showers, etc.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

I have used that exact product to repair a leak in a non-pressurized drain line (PVC). That's probably a decade ago. Works fine. However, the situation could be different on a pressurized line. I would suggest if you try it to apply in such a way that it doesn't make future re-fitting repair significantly more difficult or expansive. Also, it's important that the epoxy putty be sufficiently fresh. My last attempt to use the same brand which was purchased at a local hardware store upon need led to the putty just crumbling and making a mess. It was too old to be worked. If it's fresh, it's great. If it's too old, it's useless.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I've never used these products for a water pipe. I did use epoxy putty for many years for a leaking gas tank on a vehicle. After a decade almost the entire bottom of the tank was epoxy. It worked okay but there wasn't the same amount of pressure, and if all 22 gallons had leaked out onto the ground, that would be the extent of the damage (well, not counting any environmental impact.)

In your case I would be tempted to wire-brush the area before attempting a patch and would probably be concerned that that would exacerbate the leak.

I'm guessing that there's no easy way to drain water from this pipe?
count damoney

Post by count damoney »

I'd just cut the pipes and replace with pex.
There are PEX to Copper adapters you can buy at any home improvement store.
You are looking at 15-30 minutes of work and a permanent fix.
trinc

Post by trinc »

I can't tell if it's the 90 that is leaking or the solder joint, but it's such a simple fix i wouldn't mess with trying to patch it...Water can do a lot of damage.

If you can't solder yourself, this would take a handyman ~ 1/2 to fix

Tim
Topic Author
mrtimo

Post by mrtimo »

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am

I can drain it easily.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Waste of time to try to patch a pressurized line. Drain and re-solder properly.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

I've never used a patch material on a pressurized line. It seems like you're just slapping a band aid on the underlying problem. Small leaks eventually become big leaks; usually when you are not there which can cause major water damage.

If I were you I would print out the picture and take it to Lowe's or Home Depot. Find the guy/gal in the plumbing aisle and show it to him/her. Tell them you want to replace the whole section of pipe and fittings from above the "tee" and after the "90" at the bottom of the picture. Tell them you want to use Sharkbite fittings and Pex piping. Sharkbite fittings come in straight couplings, 90 degree elbows, Tee's, etc. There's no glue or soldering required. All the fitting just push together and you can transition from copper to plastic. You can do this yourself if you can put together a tinker toy or lego set.

Here's a video which shows the basic idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwfRCwo_0eo

The guy/gal at Lowe's or Home Depot will show you what you need.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

count damoney wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 am I'd just cut the pipes and replace with pex.
There are PEX to Copper adapters you can buy at any home improvement store.
You are looking at 15-30 minutes of work and a permanent fix.
This! Shark-bite connectors are available to go from the PEX to the copper so you need one copper pipe cutter (like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-0-875-in ... 1000668017), one PEX cutter (like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-1-1-4-i ... 1002600024) and everything else is push-on connectors.

Turn off the water, open a cold water faucet upstairs for 1 minute then close it, put a bucket under the pipe, cut the PEX to length (it is flexible so make it a bit longer than needed), cut the pipe in 2 places, push on the connectors to the copper and to the PEX. Done.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am
tibbitts wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am

I can drain it easily.
If you can drain it then I would try a more permanent repair like soldering or replacing the components. If you're actually going to have a plumber repair it, maybe while doing some other work, then I can understand trying to improve the situation temporarily with a patch. I just don't have experience patching with the amount of pressure you're dealing with.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Vtsax100 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am Waste of time to try to patch a pressurized line. Drain and re-solder properly.
this

Don't apply a band-aid when stitches are required
Topic Author
mrtimo

Post by mrtimo »

David Jay wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 am Turn off the water, open a cold water faucet upstairs for 1 minute then close it, put a bucket under the pipe, cut the PEX to length (it is flexible so make it a bit longer than needed), cut the pipe in 2 places, push on the connectors to the copper and to the PEX. Done.
Doesn't the fact that the connector is so close to the elbow (at the bottom of the vertical pipe) complicate things a little? Thanks for your confidence.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I looked at the pics. The street 90’s joint is leaking which isn’t unusual. You could try and just cleanup that joint. Pull it apart, clean it up, flux and solder it. It could work. I would usually connect a shop vac to help keep it dry while soldering.
A familiarity with soldering is required.

No glue
No epoxy
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:48 pm
David Jay wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 am Turn off the water, open a cold water faucet upstairs for 1 minute then close it, put a bucket under the pipe, cut the PEX to length (it is flexible so make it a bit longer than needed), cut the pipe in 2 places, push on the connectors to the copper and to the PEX. Done.
Doesn't the fact that the connector is so close to the elbow (at the bottom of the vertical pipe) complicate things a little? Thanks for your confidence.
In looking at the picture again, I would take out main from below the elbow to above the tee, so three cuts. Replace both diameters with PEX, including a new PEX compatible elbow for the larger diameter. PEX is flexible in small diameters but probably not flexible enough in that diameter.

This is pretty much what "flossie21" recommended above. Like he said, take your photo into Lowes or HD
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

David Jay wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:41 pm
mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:48 pm
In looking at the picture again, I would take out main from below the elbow to above the tee, so three cuts. Replace both diameters with PEX, including a new PEX compatible elbow for the larger diameter. PEX is flexible in small diameters but probably not flexible enough in that diameter.

This is pretty much what "flossie21" recommended above. Like he said, take your photo into Lowes or HD
I'm not sure Lowes or HD has a sufficient labor pool to pull from in the current environment such that you're going to get a lot of d-i-y information just showing up at some random time. Like many retailers they're probably having all they can do to keep merchandise on the shelves.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 am There is no harm in using the a solution like this, right?
The harm is that the "repair" fails while you are away on vacation for two weeks and you return to a flood.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I would get it fixed - sooner than later. applying a patch to this is something that's "temporary" and you will be creating a "ticking bomb" where you don't know when it will fail or how bad it will be.

Really, get this correctly fixed.... the pipes are easily accessible and they are already "new" (not old timey lead or other type of water pipe) - a handy man - or if you have a relative/friend who has done copper pipe (more than once or twice) they all should be able to do this with great success. It will be worth.every.penny. You won't have to think about or worry about this leak ever again probably for as long as you own your home.

REally. I like to look at and buy older homes that are not always in perfect working order. Your leak would be on my A item list of things that need to be repaired correctly ASAP (no stop gap or "live it" option for that drip). And I've got a fairly low "good enough" level. patching that with epoxy/tape is way way way below my "Good Enough".

** also think of the added moisture it's adding to your basement (or where ever this is). What happens when it leaks but so little you don't notice for months? mold and mildew don't need a whole lot.... All that added moisture evaporating into your basement (or where ever it is). Get it fixed correctly.
piper

Post by piper »

25 year plumber here. There really is no way to stop it. Re pipe with an approved material.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:51 pm
mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 am There is no harm in using the a solution like this, right?
The harm is that the "repair" fails while you are away on vacation for two weeks and you return to a flood.

Not a risk I'd be willing to take.
+ 1000

What might be just a tiny pinhole from the outside could be a tiny pinhole in the very bottom part of a deeply cratered area that could leak hundred of gallons a day and not just a few ounces a week.
LittleMaggieMae

OK. I have a question... The OP has copper pipe (probably newer and probably up to whatever local codes cover plumbing).
Why the suggestion to REPLACE the copper pipe with a non-metal pipe?? Especially if this is the first time the copper piping is being "patched" or repaired? Why not keep it all copper? working with copper piping isn't that hard (I have a family of DIY'ers who could knock this job out for a 6 pack (or growler) of local brewery beer and 2 hours of time (which would include getting supplies if they didn't already have enough "scrap" pipe or extra fittings to get it done and some bad allusions to a 3 stooges skit) I'm guessing a handy man or plumber would knock this out in about 30 minutes (and you won't have to listen to the 3 stooges stuff...:) ).

I'm guessing someone paid a lot of money to put in all that copper piping... why not keep it all copper?

While It doesn't seem like it would be a code violation to replace some of the copper with PEX or something else suitable.. I have encountered some over the top code requirements so it's not too far fetched to imagine that ONLY copper piping is code and anything else is not. A phone call to the local government OR reviewing the code rules/regulations on line would answer that for the OP.
LittleMaggieMae

piper wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 pm 25 year plumber here. There really is no way to stop it. Re pipe with an approved material.
+1 to this.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:26 pm OK. I have a question... The OP has copper pipe (probably newer and probably up to whatever local codes cover plumbing).
Why the suggestion to REPLACE the copper pipe with a non-metal pipe?? Especially if this is the first time the copper piping is being "patched" or repaired? Why not keep it all copper? working with copper piping isn't that hard (I have a family of DIY'ers who could knock this job out for a 6 pack of local brewery beer and 2 hours of time (which would include getting supplies if they didn't already have enough "scrap" pipe or extra fittings to get it done and some bad allusions to a 3 stooges skit) I'm guessing a handy man or plumber would knock this out in about 30 minutes.

I'm guessing someone paid a lot of money to put in all that copper piping... why not keep it all copper?

While It doesn't seem like it would be a code violation to replace some of the copper with PEX or something else suitable.. I have encountered some over the top code requirements so it's not too far fetched to imagine that ONLY copper piping is code and anything else is not. A phone call to the local government OR reviewing the code rules/regulations on line would answer that for the OP.
While I disagree that working with copper piping is necessarily easy, the few times I've done copper soldering I found it will either leak right away (which it probably will) allowing you to try again, or not leak for a while. But that assumes the copper you're soldering is solid and not corroded, which might not be the case here. With corrosion you have a judgement call about how corroded the copper is and how much copper to replace and we can debate whether that determination is "easy." And yes a plumber might fix/replace this one area in roughly 30 minutes, but with a trip charge etc. you might easily be looking at hundreds of dollars. Unless this problem extends to other areas, in which case repairs could be many, many thousands of dollars. The repairs I've done with copper have all been due to damage (freezing, notably) so there wasn't widespread deterioration as might be the case here.

That's a good point about needing to research the local code, and that might involve somewhat of a time investment.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Based on the photos & scorch marks on the walls, at some point there was work done on the copper plumbing. I thing you would be well served to have this fixed properly, before this turns into a big mess. If you try to fix it yourself, because of its proximity to the wall, be careful you don’t start a fire.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:33 pm
piper wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 pm 25 year plumber here. There really is no way to stop it. Re pipe with an approved material.
+1 to this.
Yep. That is some janky looking stuff…. Lots of corrosion and poor soldering. It obviously wouldn’t hurt to try the putty, but eventually you’re going to need a skilled plumber to come out and actually fix it. I’d do it soon, while you have a chance to schedule it at a convenient time, and before it gets any worse.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 am I have a slow leak in a pipe connection in my utility room (no dry wall to remove). Here is a picture: https://ibb.co/bFrkw10 and here is another https://ibb.co/dpMhjbB (it is the one on the left)

It leaks 12 oz. in a week. It is the warm water pipe that heads up to the main bathroom. It seems to leak more if we use the shower/bath more (but that could just be my imagination).

I've never used these products, which product would be best here? This seems to be the most popular one on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-PC-P ... 4QYSI&th=1

There is no harm in using the a solution like this, right? If it does not work I can try to fix it the proper way later...

Thanks!
You have a good chance of resoldering the fitting as is compared to gun king it up with something.
Then ending having to replace the “T”.
Do you have experience sweating copper joints?

I would drain the lines then try sweating all 3 T joints with ample flux.
If there’s a crack then replace the T.
Do it right once.

If you gunk it up it just makes more work for the plumber.

Whoever first did these pipes was sloppy.
J
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

fwiw, and because I'd never seen it before.

We had a pinhole spraying water from the copper pipe coming off the top of the water heater. I shut it down. The guy I called showed up, spun the cutter just above and below the 90* elbow, pulled out 2 thick fittings and a new elbow, and then pulled out a $2000+ Milwaukee cordless hydraulic crimper that looked like a sawzall but heavier.

Burrrap, burrrap, burrrap, burrrap and he was finished. The jaws are sized to the fitting/pipe diameter and it crimps precisely.

I keep meaning to see if Home Depot rents them.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

andypanda wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 pm fwiw, and because I'd never seen it before.

We had a pinhole spraying water from the copper pipe coming off the top of the water heater. I shut it down. The guy I called showed up, spun the cutter just above and below the 90* elbow, pulled out 2 thick fittings and a new elbow, and then pulled out a $2000+ Milwaukee cordless hydraulic crimper that looked like a sawzall but heavier.

Burrrap, burrrap, burrrap, burrrap and he was finished. The jaws are sized to the fitting/pipe diameter and it crimps precisely.

+1 And much safer in this situation!
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

andypanda wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:26 pm fwiw, and because I'd never seen it before.

It looks like Milwaukee, but it is actually RIGID Pro-press. They do a nice job. My boiler and my whole house water filter were installed with Pro-press.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/pressing-technology
masteraleph

Post by masteraleph »

mggray17 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:30 am

It looks like Milwaukee, but it is actually RIGID Pro-press. They do a nice job. My boiler and my whole house water filter were installed with Pro-press.

https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/pressing-technology
They may have used a RIGID one, but Milwaukee also sells propress tools.
LittleMaggieMae

tibbitts wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:45 pm While I disagree that working with copper piping is necessarily easy, the few times I've done copper soldering I found it will either leak right away (which it probably will) allowing you to try again, or not leak for a while. But that assumes the copper you're soldering is solid and not corroded, which might not be the case here. With corrosion you have a judgement call about how corroded the copper is and how much copper to replace and we can debate whether that determination is "easy." And yes a plumber might fix/replace this one area in roughly 30 minutes, but with a trip charge etc. you might easily be looking at hundreds of dollars. Unless this problem extends to other areas, in which case repairs could be many, many thousands of dollars. The repairs I've done with copper have all been due to damage (freezing, notably) so there wasn't widespread deterioration as might be the case here.
Not really a reply to Tibbetts more of a general observation:

As to the cost, isn't it good to remember that plumbing is an integral system in one's home and that it is used every day and provides a great convenience and a valuable 'service'. :)

A couple hundred (or even $500) to correctly repair the leak seems like a lot of money - but in the overall Big Picture - it's part of normal house maintenance and is not that big of an expenses compared to the value (and utility) of the house. The expense to repair/replace a more extended problem is also part of "home ownership" expenses. And it sucks to have to pay for it - but having a house is always an expense.

I guess this is one of those situations where one has to decide if an inexpensive possibly temporary fix is worth it or if the expense of actually fixing the repair is worth it - in the big picture/long term.

And just to bring this around to the spirit of this board -- this is why home owners are strongly encouraged to have some cash on hand after the purchase of a house AND that going forward after purchase they set aside money (yearly, monthly, every paycheck?) to help pay for these kinds of "maintenance and repair" things that happen to houses.

*In my looking for "fixer upper houses" - I've seen houses with a few "temporary" patches that I as the buyer would need to take on the expense of correctly repairing/replacing and then I've seen houses where just about everything that needed repair had a "make do" repair - sometimes where the "make do" repair was replaced with a second or a third "make do" repair - or thanks to the "make do" repair the rest of the slowly deteriorating system continued to deteriorate (I guess thus getting every "penny of value" from the original system before it was replaced - usually by the buyer) OR perhaps they just didn't have the money to maintain the house.

I've often thought that maybe for the seller of the every repair is a a 'make do' repair - just replacing/fixing the problem correctly upfront (even at a bigger expense) would have given them years of less "drama/stress" while living there and might have resulted in a higher sale price of their home when it came time to sell. There is always a trade off when spending money.
hudson

Post by hudson »

mrtimo wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:56 am I have a slow leak in a pipe connection in my utility room (no dry wall to remove). Here is a picture: https://ibb.co/bFrkw10 and here is another https://ibb.co/dpMhjbB (it is the one on the left)

Thanks!
In my younger days, I would cut the bad parts out and put in new parts.
When I asked a high school chum...lifelong plumber...long retired about a do it yourself plumbing project, he told me to try out a shark bite gizmo. Then he said, "Just hire a plumber!" I did.
Now, I just call a plumber and pay the price. It's good to have good plumbers on speed dial!
I would never let any plumbing leak...not even an outside garden hose (hose pipe).
I would want a same day fix.
Last edited by hudson on Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

That's.... pretty sloppy soldering as Sandtrap said. I'd cut and replace if you're comfortable with doing the work.

I'd also use a MAPP torch if the configuration of nearby pipes makes it hard to drain out ALL and I mean ALL of the water in the line.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

Re: My story about the water heater and the cordless hydraulic crimper.

The total bill was $125. I called at 11 a.m. on a Friday and they predicted an after-hours charge. He showed up at 3. Yay.

I don't know if I got a break because they're the mechanical company who installed our new Lennox heat pump and all new galvanized duct work in the crawl space a few years ago. It's only the second time I've used their plumbers. Who knows, but I thought the trip charge would be well over a hundred and wouldn't have been surprised by a $300 bill considering their prices, the size of their warehouse, the dozens of new trucks, sheet metal shop, etc.

But they call and text when they're on the way and they always show up. And they are required to say, "Yes sir/No sir."
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I just had a plumber in to fix such a leak.

I do most things myself, but water can do a lot of damage,
and I am not great at soldering, so
hiring a professional is not a big expense for me to have
it done right,